/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Just Wanted to Introduce Myself

Tango
05-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Assalamu alaikum.

I just thought I would introduce myself and give some information about myself and my relation to Islam. I am 20 years old, married, with one son and have just converted (reverted is the term used I think?) to Islam. I am still new and studying so please excuse me if my etiquette is not up to par or if I am saying things incorrectly.

I had been an Eastern Orthodox Christian for most of my life, however, a few days ago I had something of an existential crisis and realized that Christianity, despite everything I loved about it, was not the true way and could not stop the decay and wickedness in the world. I was overcome with this sense of depression and nihilism, thinking "this was it". That night I had a dream in which an angel, who I believe was Michael, came to me and handed me a scimitar and declared "by this sign you shall conquer". The story of St. Constantine was my favorite as a Christian and I am also in the military, so I am assuming that is where the reference came from. The message was loud and clear to me and the following day I incessantly researched Islam and was awed by its beauty.

I have been reading the Qur'an and studying about Islam in general. Despite my newness in the faith I know in my heart this is the truth. I have said the shahada and confessed that there is no god but God and Muhammad (pbuh) is his messenger.

I apologize if my story was not posted in the appropriate place I simply wanted to share my story with my new brothers and sisters.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
05-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Masha-Allah, how wonderful to meet another brother in Islam.

first of all, I would like to greet you with Assalaam Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

Secondly I just wanna say "this is the best place on the web to ask questions about Islam, and even cross faith debates" I find myself telling every member this.

Third, www.kalamullah.com - book pdfs, videos, audio lectures - all free bro.

Fourth, I look forward to talking more with you insha-Allah, welcome to IslamicBoard forum.

Scimi

Muslim Woman
05-20-2012, 03:26 AM
:wa:

Welcome to Islam :)

Tango
05-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Thank you both for the warm welcome.

Scimitar, thank you as well for the link to Kalamullah.com! I can already tell this site will be a wonderful resource and I am already downloading a few things from their "New Muslims" section.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
05-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Welcome to Islam bro and welcome to the forums. You are married at quite a young age for our time, may I know where you are from? I'd love to get married but still have to deal with the issue of .. oh wait a minute this thread isn't about me!

I am very interested to know how you concluded that Islam is the right path, I hope you will spare some time and share the story InshaAllah. If it is personal for you and you wish to keep it to yourself it is fine as well. :)

I suggest you join a class on Islam in your area. It is the best way to learn:statisfie

ps. are you into parkour by any chance?

Tango
05-20-2012, 03:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Welcome to Islam bro and welcome to the forums. You are married at quite a young age for our time, may I know where you are from? I'd love to get married but still have to deal with the issue of .. oh wait a minute this thread isn't about me!

I am very interested to know how you concluded that Islam is the right path, I hope you will spare some time and share the story InshaAllah. If it is personal for you and you wish to keep it to yourself it is fine as well. :)

I suggest you join a class on Islam in your area. It is the best way to learn:statisfie
Yes, I married my wife right out of high school. We then had our first son and are currently trying for our second child. I am in the military, awaiting active duty. I currently live in the state of Virginia in the United States.

I came to Islam after researching it and reading about it. I was in the midst of an existential breakdown and depressed after the collapse of my faith in Christianity and desperately wanted some kind of guidance or direction. I had a dream in which an angel handed me a scimitar telling me that this was the sign I needed and from then I began researching Islam, knowing that the scimitar is a prominent symbol. It all seemed to make sense to me and felt correct and answered alot of my main concerns with Christianity. I am still studying and am still in the early stages of my learning, so, again, I apologize for any slight errors I may make.

Hulk
05-20-2012, 04:07 AM
MashaAllah, very interesting :statisfie

I hope your faith grows as you gain more knowledge, just know that it is very important (in my opinion) to learn from a teacher because when you're on yout own you are subject to your own understanding and interpretation, that might lead to confusion and wrong understanding. However I do think you are taking the right approach which is going at it humbly, its something we all need..

Tango
05-20-2012, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
MashaAllah, very interesting :statisfie

I hope your faith grows as you gain more knowledge, just know that it is very important (in my opinion) to learn from a teacher because when you're on yout own you are subject to your own understanding and interpretation, that might lead to confusion and wrong understanding. However I do think you are taking the right approach which is going at it humbly, its something we all need..
I try to be as humble as possible in any endeavor I undertake. Humility is an extremely important and honorable trait, in my opnion. Thank you for kind words.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Wa Alaaykum As'Salaam,

Welcome on board!

Hope you enjoy yourself here and find the forum beneficial towards yourself, inshaa'Allaah..

Jazakallaahu Khaayr for sharing your story.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!