/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is hypnotism allowed in Islam?

Shaima30
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Assalamualikum

I really want to get hypnotized but I'm afraid it is prohibited to do so...because I heard that it's because the hynotizer takes the help of jinns etc. But what if it's just for fun or for medical reasons and you know the hypnotizer is not taking any jinn's help? Can it be done then? I really really want to get hypnotized...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I really really want to get hypnotized...
We humans walk around hypnotised by iblis and his cronies day in day out. Why would you want to be even further hypnotised? :skeleton:

On a more serious note, I don't know the answer to your question.

Scimitar
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Answer is no. Hypnotism is one of the types of magic revealed in this world. All magic is haraam.

Scimi

sister herb
05-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I haven´t any interest to become hypnotized but could someone send some proof that it is some kind of magic?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Sure sister: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/12631

Understanding what waswasa is, will let you understand that the techniques which are used in hypnosis are exactly that. Whispers, subliminal insertion - and you are nt aware of these consciously when you are under the trance / spell of hypnosis. The hypnotists claim that this is a valid psychological study - however, the roots of hypnosis are in magic, as explained in the link above. And this world is a trial and temptation of all kind of things that hold the promise of wonder and excitement - but this is all an illusion.

Don't try it sis. It weakens your imaan...

Scimi

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-21-2012, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Answer is no. Hypnotism is one of the types of magic revealed in this world. All magic is haraam.

Scimi
Really?! What kind of magic is involved in it? May be you can explain it...concisely.

Scimitar
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
No, because I do not practice magic lol.

But you know bro, the view of the scholars is what we should be looking for here:

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
^ Forgot to ask you, Scimitar. What is the significance of the number 1.618?

Salahudeen
05-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Hypnotise yourself, just try and get into a deep state of relaxation and repeat affirmations that are focused around the change you want to make.

Scimitar
05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
^ Forgot to ask you, Scimitar. What is the significance of the number 1.618?

Scimi

Dagless
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
So would it be ok to use hypnotism which doesn't invoke jinn?
I am assuming almost all hypnotism doesn't use magic because anyone can read a book and test out the techniques used to see for themselves.

Scimitar
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Forgot about this thread.

A little info on Anton Mesmer:

"Anton Mesmer, the rediscoverer of the practical uses of this most important branch of Magic, was born in a little town on Lake Constance on May 23, 1734....
... His occult standing is not so generally known. Dr. Mesmer was not only a Mason, but was also an initiated member of two powerful occult Fraternities, the Fratres Lucis and the Brotherhood of Luxor. The latter was the Egyptian branch of the Brotherhood of Lookshoor in Beluchistan, one of the oldest and most powerful of the Eastern Fraternities...."

http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/mesmer.html

So that's what hypnotism is associated with, eh?

"
...Mesmer’s pupils were later able to induce a “magnetic sleep” (trance state or hypnotic condition) in their patients. The term Mesmerism eventually became analogous with hypnosis and was linked with both Spiritualism and Mind Science religions. Hypnosis has long been linked to ancient religious practices and eastern mystical experiences involving similar trance states or altered states of consciousness. Such altered states are essential to such practices as out-of-body experiences, astral projection, and Yoga. William Kroger, M.D. and William Fezler Ph.D. maintain that, "hypnosis has been practiced in one form or another in the civilized and uncivilized world under many different labels since the dawn of history." They further note that historically elements of hypnosis have been an integral part of pagan religious practices and world religions including Assyro-Babylonian exorcism, Egyptian soothsaying, Jewish mysticism, Byzantine Catholicism, Chinese Taoism, Sufism, Hinduism, Shintoism, forms of Buddhism (Tibetan and Zen), and Yoga (Hypnosis and Behavior Modification, pp. 6-8).
Pastor David L. Brown, Ph.D. gives us this advice in his article entitled, The Dangers of Hypnosis :

"Hypnotism ... opens the mind to believe almost anything. As one researcher put it, 'hypnotic induction ... consists of a system of verbal and nonverbal manipulation to lead a person into a heightened state of suggestibility -- more simply, a condition in which one will believe almost anything.'
[Hypnosis And The Christian; by Martin & Deidre Bogan; Bethany House; p17]
That statement should alarm you because in essence it is saying that a person who is hypnotized can be told a lie and believe it. But does this really happen? The answer is yes. Bernard Diamond, a professor of law and clinical professor of psychiatry wrote in an article for the California Law Review that people who underwent hypnotism would 'graft onto their memories fantasies or suggestions deliberately or unwittingly communicated by the hypnotist and that after hypnosis the subject cannot differentiate between a true recollection and a fantasy or a suggested detail.' [California Law Review, March 1980; Article: Inherent Problems in the Use of Pretrial Hypnosis on a Prospective Witness; by Bernard L. Diamond; p 314] ...

Hypnosis is dangerous because the mind loses its ability to distinguish between fact and fantasy (truth and error). ... Satan can and does take advantage of the opportunity. Let me give you one example. Over a five year period, in the late 70's and early 80's, a massive study was done of more than 6,000 people who had undergone hypnosis. It was discovered that one-fifth of those people who had been hypnotized said that they had lived previous lives on other planets! That is bizarre to say the least! But let me tell you about some other experiments. According to one of Peter Francuch experiments 'The person [who was hypnotized] was able very precisely to describe in minute detail what was happening in another friend's house 300 miles away. At the same time, the person was able to describe exactly what was happening a month ago, a year ago, and ten years ago in the same place ...'
[Principles of Spiritual Hypnosis; by Peter Francuch; Spiritual Advisor Press, 1981; 924]
One might ask, 'How is that possible?' My answer is by demonic contact! One New Age author puts it this way -- 'Hypnosis can be an open door to psychic experiences of many kinds, and in an emotionally unstable, insecure, or neurotic person the possibility of obsession or psychic invasion of one kind or another is always present...'
[Many Lives, Many Loves by Gina Cerminara; Wm Morrow and Company, 1963; p 83]
It only takes a brief look at Acts 16:16-18 to discover the source of psychic powers. Hypnosis is dangerous. At the least, it hinders one's ability to discern the difference between real memories and suggested/engrafted memories. Even more dangerous is the fact that hypnosis opens the 'heart's door' (mind) to demonic invasion.

"There shall not be found among you any one that ... useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee." (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

...The words from the Old Testament which are translated charmers and enchanters seem to indicate the same kinds of persons whom we now call hypnotherapists. Dave Hunt, author and researcher in the area of the occult as well as the cults, says:

'From the Biblical standpoint, I believe that in such places as Deuteronomy 18, when it speaks of "charmers” and “enchanters,” the practice involved anciently was exactly what has recently become acceptable in medicine and psychiatry as hypnosis. I believe this both from the ancient usage of this word and from occult traditions.'
[Dave Hunt, personal letter to Walter Martin, January 13, 1982, p. 5.]...

http://real-world-news.org/articles-rwn/hypnosis.html

I
nteresting stuff.

Scimi

~Zaria~
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Just wanted to add to this thread, as I have had some personal experience in this.

There are different types of hypnosis - and while I am not versed on all the different methods, the thought that comes to many peoples minds when speaking about this topic is that which has been fed to us in the media:

e.g TV shows demonstrating a person going into a 'trance-like' state by the hypnotiser - often appearing to have no control over his/ her speech or actions.

These types are impermissible as the person has handed 'control' of his mind to another entity - possibly a jinn/ something that belongs to the world of the unseen.
The other reasons as to why this is prohibited has been explained in the link provided by bro Scimi.

However, there are techniques of enabling a person to enter a deep, relaxed 'sleep-like' state - under which the practioner would use positive re-inforcing messages to treat a certain ailment.
The level of relaxation that one enters is completely individual - e.g. some may fall asleep while others remain completely awake throughout the session - but in a more relaxed frame of mind.
At any point in time, the person is able to open his eyes and leave the room.
There is no loss in contol of ones higher faculties, no matter how relaxed a state you may reach.

I personally have undergone 'hypnosis', some years back (in the manner described above) for insomnia.

Possibly due to work-related stress, broken sleeping patterns due to late-night calls and 28hr+ shifts, my sleep-cycle was disrupted to a point that I couldnt fall asleep, no matter how tired I was feeling. There were days of being awake for 48+hrs, still trying to function at work and at home, but not being able to fall asleep.
I had tried everything, read zikr continously at night, etc but my mind was so 'stressed' at the thought of not falling asleep......that it ends up becoming a vicious, endless cycle. I didnt want to become dependant on sleeping pills, and so hypnosis offered the best, natural way to 'break' the psychological barriers that I had created with regards to sleeping.

Alhamdullillah - after one session (where I was completely awake, but in a relaxed and calmer state), and thereafter listening to a CD with re-inforcing messages at bedtime, for the next month - my insomnia is now something that belongs in my past.
(and so are my erratic sleeping hours - Alhamdullillah)

So, yes hypnosis via these methods are considered permissible from an Islamic point of view, as discussed here:

Question
Could you please clarify whether hypnosis is permissible for weight loss purposes? There are CDs that one can use at home to help with controlling yourself from bingeing, eating sweet/junk foods and to eat healthy meals instead of going for the refined foods.

Answer
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

If the techniques used in hypnosis do not consist of any elements which are impermissible in Shari’ah then hypnosis will be permissible.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mawlana Ali bin Cassim
Student Darul Iftaa
Los Angeles, CA (USA)

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
www.daruliftaa.net

Question
Can a Muslim go for hypnosis to try and stop smoking? If yes, can a Muslim go to a non Muslim Hypnotist as I am not aware of any Muslim hypnotists?
Answer
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh
Smoking is prohibited. One should try his level best to quit this evil habit. It is permissible to use hypnosis to aid one to quit smoking. One may go to a non-Muslim hypnotist on the condition one is not made to do anything which is contrary to Shariah.
And Allah knows best
Wassalam
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/15342

Hope this brings more clarity to this topic, insha Allah.

:wa:

RuqyahLahore
05-23-2015, 10:41 PM
As salamu alaykum i am a Raqi basically a muslim exorcist and after the post by Scimitar alhamdullilah my concerns were confirmed. Hypnosis is a technique which uses the shayateen. I am amazed at our scholars who give fatwas without extensive research into the subject. Just because a well known mufti has given a fatwah does not make it permissible.

majeed ur rahma
08-20-2017, 04:32 PM
If you want to get hynotized so read its scientific background first and discuss with your elder. It have a detial of depth and different perspectives.

- - - Updated - - -

and its upto your emaan.

Zzz_
08-22-2017, 01:51 AM
Hypnosis is, perhaps, one of the most misunderstood and controversial methods of psychological treatment. The myths and misconceptions that surround hypnotherapy mostly stem from people’s ideas about stage hypnotism. The truth is that stage hypnotism is essentially a theatrical performance and has about as much in common with bona fide clinical hypnosis as many Hollywood movies have with real life.

The fact is, however, that hypnosis is a genuine psychological phenomenon that has valid uses in clinical practice. Simply put, hypnosis is a state of highly focused attention or concentration, often associated with relaxation, and heightened suggestibility. While under hypnosis (i.e., in a hypnotic trance), it seems many people are much more open to helpful suggestions than they usually are.

The positive suggestions that people are given while hypnotized are referred to as “post hypnotic suggestions” because they are intended to take effect after the person emerges from the trance and is no longer under hypnosis.

The suggestions given to people under hypnosis appear to be an important part of the mechanism through which the procedure works. While many people won’t accept or respond to an up-front, direct suggestion, under hypnosis, suggestions seem to get into the mind - perhaps through the “back door” of consciousness where they often germinate and take root as important behavioral or psychological changes.

Contrary to popular belief, people under hypnosis are in total control of themselves and would never do anything they would normally find highly objectionable.

https://www.psychologytoday. com/blog/think-well/201301/the-truth-about-hypnosis

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Alhamdullillah - after one session (where I was completely awake, but in a relaxed and calmer state), and thereafter listening to a CD with re-inforcing messages at bedtime, for the next month - my insomnia is now something that belongs in my past.
(and so are my erratic sleeping hours - Alhamdullillah)

can you share more about those CDs?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!