/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Children out of wedlock

dysphoricrocker
05-23-2012, 08:52 AM
By Jessica Cheam, Political Correspondent

If it wants to solve problems such as a low fertility rate and low wages, Singapore will have to make some difficult 'social choices', said Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Chan Chun Sing.

For example, the country could turn its dismal total fertility rate (TFR) of 1.2 around, as Nordic countries managed to do - if it accepts women having children out of wedlock.

And it could raise the wages of cleaners - if people were willing to pay higher service and conservancy (S&C) charges.
Spelling out these trade-offs at a dialogue that wrapped up the Institute of Policy Studies conference on integration, Mr Chan then said: 'Are we prepared to do that? These are social choices that we have to make for ourselves.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_801502.html

I am out of here if ever such law is passed. This is the best they can think of? Seriously?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dqsunday
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I would have to say they are better off raising minimum wages. Maybe if people were paid more they would want to have more children in wedlock.

dysphoricrocker
05-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Salaam.

We have a big problem of an ageing population. The thing is, the cost of living here is very high for the amount of money we earn. For the average worker, it's tough enough we have low pay, but we still have to compete with the foreigners who come here to get jobs. Not forgetting the stressful work life too. I guess that is the main reason for the low fertility rate.

But to propose such backwards ideas is just crazy. I agree with you that they need to raise the minimum wage.

PouringRain
05-24-2012, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
For example, the country could turn its dismal total fertility rate (TFR) of 1.2 around, as Nordic countries managed to do - if it accepts women having children out of wedlock.
I think this is really bad logic used by the writer of the article.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dysphoricrocker
05-24-2012, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
I think this is really bad logic used by the writer of the article.
The writer is just quoting what the minister said. Everyone is pretty much shocked he said such things.

dqsunday
05-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Unless there is a really low marriage rate...I see no logic in encouraging single women to have children outside of marriage. Its hard enough raising a kid in a two parent home, why do they think it will be easier for single mothers? There are other ways to improver fertility if they just want more babies being born, without having single mothers.

The Minister is definitely not thinking right.

PouringRain
05-24-2012, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
The writer is just quoting what the minister said. Everyone is pretty much shocked he said such things.
Thanks. I didn't click on the article link to read the entire thing. The minister is using really bad logic then! To be honest, I have read a few news articles in the past from some of the european countries who are trying to increase their fertility rates, and never was single-motherhood one of the strategies. Most of the countries were actually using techniques such as financial incentives to try and convince women/ families to have more children. The problems you list in post three sound like you could be talking about my country as well.

GodIsAll
05-24-2012, 04:40 AM
This planet needs to slow way down on the human population. Humans are an ecological nightmare.
I agree that children, especially boys, need an active father.

dysphoricrocker
05-24-2012, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Most of the countries were actually using techniques such as financial incentives to try and convince women/ families to have more children.
We have that too. 4 months of maternity leave, child incentives up till the 4th child and so on. So i see no problem in that area. I think its the factor of time and energy, spouses just dont have the time to spend with each other because they are too busy with work.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!