View Full Version : Honey As Eye Drops

Snowflake
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
:sl:

Journal of Apicultural Research
Vol. 46 (4) pp. 232-235
DOI 10.3896/IBRA.1.46.4.04
Date December 2007
Article Title Using 20% honey solution eye drops in patients with dry eye syndrome.
Author(s) Jurate Jankauskiene, Dalia Jarushaitiene, Violeta Cheksteryte and Jurgis Rachys
Abstract The purpose of this work was to investigate the effect of 20% honey solution eye drops on human patients with dry eye syndrome. Thirty six patients (72 eyes) of mean age 44.7 years old were examined. Investigations were carried out before and after the treatment. Nineteen patients were treated with 20% honey solution eye drops three times a day, and 17 patients were treated with artificial tears three times a day as a control. After treatment with the honey eye drops, improvement of ocular changes was observed in most of the patients compared to the control treatment b. We also found a positive effect of the honey eye drops on the state of the cornea.

http://www.ibra.org.uk/articles/20080612_7

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
05-25-2012, 09:39 AM
That. is. Weird. :skeleton:

Snowflake
05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Er... why?

dysphoricrocker
05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Sounds interesting.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~ Sabr ~
05-25-2012, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
Er... why?
Putting honey in your eyes? That doesn't sound weird to you?

Scimitar
05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I put honey on my samosas... that's weird.

Scimi

Snowflake
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
Putting honey in your eyes? That doesn't sound weird to you?
No. Why should it? Honey has been used as an eye ointment throughout the ages.

Honey and The Eyes

Honey has long been considered a most effective remedy for many eye diseases. An ancient Egyptian papyrus gives the recipe for a honey ointment and instructions how to us it. Ibn-e-Sina recommended honey mixed with onion juice, clover, or wheatgrass for the eyes. In the last century honey was held by some writers to be a good remedy for burns, especially those affecting the eyes, and an excellent cure for inflammation of the eye. It has not lost its importance today, even when medicine has been enriched with a host of new preparations (sulphonamides, antibiotics, etc.), and is, in fact, highly effective for certain diseases of the eyes.

A.Kh.Mikhailov reported having used eucalyptus honey and cornea, sores on the corneal membrane, and other complaints. The honey was made by bees from a mixture of honey with an infusion of eucalyptus leaves (since it is the leaves and not the flowers of this tree that possess curative properties).

A honey ointment has been widely used in the eye department of the Odessa Regional Hospital to treat various lesions of the corneal membrane. At first honey was merely added to a 3 per cent sulphapyridine ointment (replacing vaseline). This ointment was highly effective on very slow-healing sores and speeded up the rate of cicatrization. A 30 per cent solution of sodium sulphanil acetamide given in drops, or sulphapyridine ointment containing vaseline, brought no relief to patients with inflammation of the cornea, their condition only improving when the honey and sulphapyridine ointments were administered. Quite a few patients with keratitis or sores on the corneal membrane were cured with honey on its own.

Honey has also been used extensively in the eye clinic of the Omsk Medical Institute (Maximenko) to treat herpetic and uncerous keratitis, and as a means of resorption in cases of opacity of the cornea or vitreous body, immature or initial cataract, and burns affecting the eye.
Only sterile honey from honeycomb should be used in the eyes, and then only under the supervision of a doctor or ophthalmologist.

http://www.thereligionislam.com/isla...honey.htm#eyes

When honey is applied to the eye as a Kuhl, it will strengthen weak eyesight.
(Medicine of the Prophet)
Using it as an eye salve, honey brightens one's vision, while brushing one's teeth with honey whitens them.
http://www.islamicbulletin.com/newsl..._13/honey.aspx

Snowflake
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nobody
Hmmm... So how do you go about getting the '20% honey solution eye drops'?
Not sure sis. I would be wary of buying anything to put into my eye over the internet and would prefer to use Manuka honey (the purest) straight from the jar instead.

Sunnie Ameena
05-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Never heard of it before. It does sound odd, but very interesting.

CosmicPathos
05-28-2012, 05:47 AM
i am aware of putting honey in eyes, as well as putting (surma) in.

This study is not bad, sample size was okay for a small study, there were controls as well. but can we say that honey is good for all sorts of diseases of the eye? surely there would be some diseases for which putting honey would actually be harmful to the eye.

but honey itself has antimicrobial properties, those alone could benefit eyes by decreases the risk of infections, you'd probably still could get red eye cuz that is mostly caused by viruses.

but since honey is from prophetic medicine, i believe it works, whether we can measure it, obeserve it etc or not.

جوري
05-28-2012, 07:12 AM
If you knew what half the meds out there are synthesized of from pregnant horse urine to menopausal urine to fish testicles to bacteria vomit you'd not think honey in the eyes is such a weird thing .. Chemical compounds are fascinating الحمد لله for honey truly has many healing properties...

Endymion
05-28-2012, 08:14 AM
I used honey to lengthen my eye lashes :statisfie But now i have Asmad Surma,its amazing :statisfie

Kerry18
06-04-2018, 03:37 PM
I use honey in my diet and in the treatment of diseases. Honey with Propolis I have used it to strengthen my immune system because I have suffered from herpes simplex keratitis.

Tayiba
06-11-2018, 11:58 PM
SubhanAllah, a Shifa from Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!