/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Oddball Questions

dqsunday
05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Asalam Alaykum Brothers and Sisters:

I have a couple odd questions that have been running through my head of late. Well some are more of a 'where can I find' type... so that should be easy.

First, is owning reptiles considered wrong for a Muslim? I know dogs are considered bad and should not be kept in the house etc. But cats are fine. I am curious about how keeping reptiles as pets is viewed. (I know mention was made of Arabian eating local lizards (Egyptian uromastyx I believe) but the Prophet (Salallahu alayhi wasalam) refused to eat the flesh but didn't say anything against others doing so (I think this was referred to in a book about Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wasalam) I read by Martin Ling (I believe).

I currently don't have any pets but have kept reptiles in the past. Also, if reptiles are fine as pets is there any issue about 'changing' how they are naturally via selective breeding? OR owning ones that have already been bred to a particular trait/mutation (ie albinos)? For an idea, http://www.ballpython.ca/collection.html. I am feeling doing all these changes to what a snake or lizard would appear 'naturally' in the wild may be wrong as its changing how Allah made these creatures (though in some cases, there are naturally occurring mutations...but many don't' survive much past birth due to aberrant patterns./colors robbing them of natural camouflage and they are easy pickings for predators).

Second question: anybody know where I can find nice clear recitations of the Qur'an? I know there are links to many such recitations but all that i have found seem to have an 'echo' effect applied to them which...really makes them hard for me to listen to. I get headaches after a few ayats..even if I have it at a low volume. There are some youtube vids I have found which demonstrate how to pray which lacks the echo but its pretty repetitive throughout the various prayers (they say pretty much the same surahs etc per raket, no matter which prayer is used..so very limited on what is heard).

Third: hmmm I forget... if i remember I will add it in a reply.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 06:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
First, is owning reptiles considered wrong for a Muslim? I know dogs are considered bad and should not be kept in the house etc. But cats are fine. I am curious about how keeping reptiles as pets is viewed. (I know mention was made of Arabian eating local lizards (Egyptian uromastyx I believe) but the Prophet (Salallahu alayhi wasalam) refused to eat the flesh but didn't say anything against others doing so (I think this was referred to in a book about Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wasalam) I read by Martin Ling (I believe).

Question

Assalammualaikum Nowdays people been keeping lizard such as iguana and bearded dragon as pet, i wonder is it permissible? I know that there was a hadith which the Prophet never forbided Abu umair from keeping a bird (nughair) but what about iguana and other lizards (other than gecko)? also if keeping it as pet is permissible, is it permissible to sell it?

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.
If you mean the known lizard, which resembles the varan in its shape but is of smaller size, like a gecko, and it has a smooth skin and a swift movement, then keeping this kind of animal is permissible. In principle, keeping animals and rearing them is permissible unless there is evidence that they are forbidden to keep due to their impurity, like the pig for instance, and the dog that is kept for no Sharee’ah approved reason and the like. The jurists

stated that it is absolutely forbidden to keep a pig, but it is permissible to keep a cheetah (hunting leopard), an elephant and other similar animals in which there is benefit even if this benefit is only expected.

Therefore, it is permissible to rear a lizard if needed while of course fulfilling the obligation of treating it in a good manner and taking care of it.

Source: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=160217

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 06:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
Second question: anybody know where I can find nice clear recitations of the Qur'an?
Every single recitor you can think of, InshaAllaah:

http://www.mp3quran.net/eng/

dysphoricrocker
05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
Every single recitor you can think of, InshaAllaah:

http://www.mp3quran.net/eng/
Still can't find my fav reciter Salman Utaybi complete Quran recitation. Search the whole google to no avail ):

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Still can't find my fav reciter Salman Utaybi complete Quran recitation. Search the whole google to no avail ):
Some here

http://www.islamfactory.com/quran/mp3/salman-al-utaybi

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Search the whole google to no avail ):
I think that Salman Utaybi does not have a collection of full Qur'aan mp3, as mentioned in various sites.

Sunnie Ameena
05-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I looked on ebay and found a cd that I could download the Quran on my mp3. I love it, I listen to it when I go to bed at night. It was really inexpensive too, like 6 US dollars.

dqsunday
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you all for your replies :) May Allah bless you :) Its good to know I can keep my favorite pets once I am in a position to do so, Inshallah. I had planned to get a dog but I won't bother due to how they are viewed in Islam. I do love cats though but will pass on getting a cheetah ;) and an elephant probably won't like the cold up here. then again neither would the cheetah. I think I will stick to the scaled exotics, easier to keep and don't need as much space. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!