/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salam Alaikum as a person who has converted/reverted to Islam as a Muslim how do I gi

truthseeker63
06-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Salam Alaikum as a person who has converted/reverted to Islam as a Muslim how do I give up Music ? Since most Music is Secular and does not glorify God is this a good reason not to listen to music ? Since Music can influence human behavior is this also a good reason not to listen to music ?

Muslims are aware that nothing has been prohibited by Allah except that which is harmful to the welfare of a Muslim individual and the society as a whole. The divine attribute behind the prohibition of music can be comprehended by looking into the diverse influence music can have.

Experiments carried out by doctors and professors have confirmed that the music of today is such that it does not only affect the brain, but each and every organ of one`s body. There is a close relationship between music and bodily movements. We find that people listening to music automatically start tapping their fingers and feet, as if the music is permeating in their blood.

It is also proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.

It is a very ignorant and misguided attitude to percieve music as a form of pleasure and passing of time, since the messages of today`s music follow a general theme of love, fornication, drugs and freedom.

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Mansy_music.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dqsunday
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I personally feel many people are far to obsessed with music. If its at the point you listen to music 20 hours a day, its an obsession. So many people can't seem to spend 10 minutes without having their ipad/mp3 player etc on. They listen to it while walking, driving, exercising, eating, etc its a wonder how anybody can think. Most of the music around here seems to be either rap/hiphop gangster type music or dance music (or what typically is called dance/club music as I find it nothing like the music I used to dance to before I found Islam. When I walk I don't like having my hearing or vision obstructed by anything, be it music or layers of head coverings. (at least my hijab doesn't make all the rustling noises or billow out like the hood of my jacket, humdallah (excuse my spelling...) ) So I definitely see the harm in music, regardless of what is being listened to, just the consistency and volume is bad enough. If can hear your music from your tiny little earplug type headset across the street..its TOO LOUD.

That and heavy base... it has a profound affect on me physically...the vibrations alone set my bones vibrating..which is a really discomforting sensation and acts like a fight/flight reaction. Its pretty unsettling to be in a car, stopped at a busy intersection, with a red light and the guy next to you has such a huge powerful base system the vibration is all you hear from the outside. It took all my will power to not jump out of my car and flee..or drive into the car ahead of me in a desperate need to get away from the horrible bounding base.

So I definitely agree, music affects us physically...and emotionally. Makes me glad I rarely listen to it..and even if I do its not very loud and easily ignored.

Aprender
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I noticed now that a lot of artists like Maher Zain and Native Deen are releasing versions of their work without any music in them at all. So if you want to at least listen to something with an Islamic message that doesn't have music in it that's an alternative.

It's tough living in the West to get away from muslic completely because it's all over the place here but you can try and slowly get yourself off the stuff. It is an addiction!

I know it seems petty with all of the other problems that Muslims are facing but I wonder if there are some type of Islamic support groups at the masjid to talk about ways to stop listening to music sooo much.

CosmicPathos
06-01-2012, 07:02 PM
truthseeker: none of those are good arguments against music. There are sufis who enter into trance state and start dancing wildly after listening to recitation of Quran. So would you say we should ban Quranic recitation too since it affects us, our hearts and our limbs?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
There are sufis who enter into trance state and start dancing wildly after listening to recitation of Quran. So would you say we should ban Quranic recitation too since it affects us, our hearts and our limbs?
That is a faulty argument akhi. We have to discern betwen right and wrong. Our practice of Islam does not come from Sufis but from the Prophet :saws:, his companions (may Allah be pleased with them) and the righteous predecessors, none of whom treated the Qur'an with disrespect nor danced at the Qur'an let alone wildly or swaying their bodies. You cannot put the Qur'an, which as stated within it, is a guidance and a mercy and a glad-tidings, on the same level as a prohibited thing.

IslamicRevival
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl:We have to discern betwen right and wrong. Our practice of Islam does not come from Sufis but from the Prophet :saws:, his companions (may Allah be pleased with them) and the righteous predecessors
Agreed but we must remember some of the great Scholars of the past were in fact Sufi's.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!