/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I have vitiligo :( any help?!

Bimi
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Selamu Ailekum

This is my first post on this forum
Never the less, hope to find some information and help - if possible.

I "suffer" from vitiligo since a while; since 2003 to be more specific.
I do not know why I got it, and where I got it from .. certainly my parents do not have it and they don't know anyone else having it.

I wonder if anyone knows anything towards treating / healing this stupid condition.
We know it is not dangerous but it is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mental issue as it settles in ur head and you never ever get over it

Anyway, wonder if islam has anything in particular in regards to vitiligo?!

Thanks[MOUSE][/MOUSE]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Waalaikumsalam

I don't think there's much you can do about it bro.. You can try going to the doctors but I really don't think there is much that can be done. I know Michael Jackson had it and what he did was he eventually whitened the other parts of himself that were not touched by the vitiligo.

I think the only thing you can do is accept that it is part of who you are. If you feel down remember that people always have issues with their bodies, maybe someone overweight looks at your body and think wow you are lucky to have that body type. Someone bald might see your hair and think wow such beautiful hair.

If you really feel shy about going out in public with it, I personally would advice you to pretend that you are not shy about it. You will eventually see that it is not as big as issue as it was in your head. If people stare, let them. Who cares. If people crack jokes, punch them in the face(or just smile and laugh along if you can.

جوري
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
:sl:

As bro. Already said vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder- when the patches appear that means the melanoctes (the cells producing pigment) are already destroyed. Usually some sort of autoimmune suppressor medication is given they stop further progression but they don't do anything for what is already lost. Phototherapy can be used with the idea to cause enough irritation to re-pigment the skin using the same principal that causes wounded skin to be come darker in the process of healing but as stated if the melanocytes themselves are destroyed then they will not produce anything unless they're not destroyed in totality and some 10% functionality or so remains. There are also creams to remove pigment from skin completely. Some people opt for that or use cosmetics to conceal.
vitiligo isn't deadly I understand it has psychological scarring. I have a distant cousin who has it and it was awful for him in the beginning and he put up with so much abuse & torment including from his brother who is a moron but today all the color has gone from his skin but al7mdullilah spared his hair and eyebrows so he just looks like it is his natural pigment.
I think people are more understanding today or at least better educated. This disease can strike anyone, there are hypothesis as to what causes it but no one really knows for sure. 1% of the population (including white people) are affected but it isn't contagious. You can't see it on white folks unless they tan in the summer then the patches become obvious..
the only thing to watch for are other accompanying autoimmune diseases. many with vitiligo also end up with hashimoto's thyroiditis or pernicious anemia and those would require treatment so just pay a visit to your doctor and see what he or she has to say and offer by way of treatment or counseling..

may Allah swt grant you shiffa

- Qatada -
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
:salamext: chinese herbal medicine might help?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BadOlPuttyTat
06-01-2012, 06:54 PM
As لميس said;s he beat me to your question. You can get UVB treatments and all sorts of varyting light and tanning treatments. But depending on the severity you may now have anymore options left :hmm:. But dude, having discolored skin is not bad. I have seen a all sorts of people out in public with all sorts gross ailments and vertilgo is not one of them. Skin discoloration? Michael Jackson went out in public with Vitiligo all the time (so he claimed). I know I am not the most encouraging person but you shouldnt be shy about a little skin discoloration. What parts of your body is affected also?

dqsunday
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Vitiligo is a fairly rare condition and has many suspected causes, from autoimmune, genetics, bacterial or even viral infections. My aunt has is or a form of it anyway. Nobody else has it in my family so its easy to see its not a genetic condition in many cases. I think only about 1% of the population has some form of Vitiligo.

There are a number of treatments from exposing small areas that are fairly new to develop to UVB rays (small areas you can just use a UVB producing bulb like you can buy for lizards probably work fine. Just don't have it too close to your body as some of these UVB bulbs can have harmful levels of UVB close to the bulb itself, especially the Mercury vapour bulbs and the coiled florescent tube types. Best to keep at least 18" away from the bulb to avoid harmful UVB intensities (ie UV Index). There are others but you can read all about them at this site: http://www.medicinenet.com/vitiligo/article.htm and there plenty other ones that come up with a google search on Vitiligo.

Talking with your family doctor about various options will be a good thing to do. You can also pray to Allah to help reduce the 'damage' loss of pigmentation can cause. Make-up certainly can cover it up from facial areas. You can buy 'base' make up to blend in with your natural skin tones.

Bimi
06-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Hallo All and thank you for your replies

All I got to say is that vitiligo is not bad as other health issues ... however, whenever someone is "hit" with a particular condition; he or she will always feel bad about it.
I mean I know vitiligo is not deadly but yet, it is a mental stress and believe it or not, cos of this thing I have changed "inside" completely ...

It's been more then 8 years since I have this thing but still, is a pain.
Hmmmm the things u mentioned UVB etc, I been trying it and still do but nothing has improved.

Not sure where I came across on the internet where there was a hadith about the cuase of vitiligo.
If there are hadiths about it then I thought there might be something that tells you how to improve

Ah well, if GOD wanted me to suffer this way ... then, I cant do much about it I assume :(

Thanks

Snowflake
06-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I remember my parents being so strict about not letting us eat milk and fish at the same meal. They told us it causes white patches on the skin. I then read in the Medicine of the Prophet not to eat milk and fish together. I recall from the same book the Prophet (sal allahu alayhi wa sallam) prescribing Indian Costus for coughs/sore throats. This got me interested in India's ancient medicine system Ayurveda. So when I saw this thread, I turned to ayurveda again, and found it too says that milk and fish should not be consumed together and can causes diseases like vitiligo.

In Ayurveda the reason behind Autoimmunity is mostly improper hygiene which is termed ‘virudh ahar sevan’ (as eating fish & milk together). This results into toxin formation inside the body which ultimately disturbs the immune system due to which the pigment producing melanocytes cells gets inactive or degenerated and thus vitiligo is formed.
http://www.ayurhealthline.com/

The site also contains remedies for vitiligo. May Allah cure you and grant you the best of health. Ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!