/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer beads

Sunnie Ameena
06-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I have a few questions about prayer beads. Our the prayer beads to use to name the 99 names of Allah, or do you say a prayer on each bead? Also, if a person makes their own, is it the same, because I would prefer to make my own as opposed to buying them. Sunnie Ameena

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Haya emaan
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie Ameena
Assalamu Alaikum

I have a few questions about prayer beads. Our the prayer beads to use to name the 99 names of Allah, or do you say a prayer on each bead? Also, if a person makes their own, is it the same, because I would prefer to make my own as opposed to buying them. Sunnie Ameena
walaikum assalam

i dont know if there are certain rules of making prayer beads but when i made some for my grandmother i made according to her ease and kept the beads count according to her need.

i prefer fingers to keep the count but at my home prayer beads are also used to keep the count for any dua or tasbih not for any specific one.

also we have some which are divided in three sections for tasbeh Fatima. but we use it for other prayers too

~ Sabr ~
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
In Islam, prayer beads are referred to as Misbaha or Tasbih or Sibha, and contain 99 beads, corresponding to the 99 Names of Allah. Sometimes only 33 beads are used, in which case one would cycle through them three times to equal 99. The beads are traditionally used to keep count while saying the prayer known as Tasbih of Fatima, which was a form of prayer offered as a gift by the Prophet Muhammad to his daughter Fatima, which is recited as follows: 33 times "Subhan Allah" (Glory be to God), 33 times "Al-hamdu lilah" (Praise be to God), and 33 times "Allahu Akbar" (God is the greatest). It is highly recommended to recite this prayer after the daily 5 ritual prayers.
Use of the misbaha to count prayers and recitations is an evolution of Muhammad's practice of using the fingers of his right hand to keep track.[citation needed] While widely used today, some adherents of Wahhabism shun them as an intolerable innovation, preferring to stick to the exact method believed to have been used by Muhammad.[citation needed] Their use as a religious item has somewhat diminished over the years, except among adherents of the Sufi orders, and many use them nowadays strictly as worry beads and as status symbols.[13]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_beads

Muhammad
06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
:sl:

The beads are generally used to keep count:

The beads are traditionally used to keep count while saying the prayer known as Tasbih of Fatima, which was a form of prayer offered as a gift by the Prophet Muhammad to his daughter Fatima, which is recited as follows: 33 times "Subhan Allah" (Glory be to God), 33 times "Al-hamdu lilah" (Praise be to God), and 33 times "Allahu Akbar" (God is the greatest). It is highly recommended to recite this prayer after the daily 5 ritual prayers.
However, from my understanding, it is more preferable to use the fingers of the right for this because that is what the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) used to do, and Allaah (swt) knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
you can now buy and customize your own personal biddah

how great is that?

IslamicRevival
06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92

how great is that?
The very device you are using to type messages onto this forum is bidah, customizable too.
How great is that?

~ Sabr ~
06-07-2012, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92

how great is that?
This isn't a very nice comment. There is nothing wrong with doing this to keep count, but of course, fingers are preferred.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!