/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Diamond Jubilee: Elizabeth’s 60 years draining the state

جوري
06-06-2012, 01:56 AM
The Diamond Jubilee: Elizabeth’s 60 years draining the state

(GETTY IMAGES)

Anti-monarchy protestors on Sunday staged a demonstration on the banks of the Thames ahead of the Diamond Jubilee river pageant. Among the protestors was the chief executive of Republic, Graham Smith, who said “the hereditary system is offensive to all the democratic values this country has fought for in the past. The jubilee represents a celebration of everything we, as republicans, oppose”.
North Ayrshire Labour MP Katy Clark is among many Labour MPs who have refused to pay for a present for Elizabeth to mark her Jubilee celebrations. Katy Clark MP said: “I have never thought we should have a Royal Family as they are the ultimate symbol of inequality and class division. Compared to many other countries we live in an incredibly class-ridden society with huge inequalities in wealth and power”.
I can’t help but agree with Graham Smith and Katy Clark MP. Their sentiments certainly echo my own opinion, a head of state appointed by the feudal process of primogeniture goes against every democratic principle that our country stands for. In my eyes, partaking in the Diamond Jubilee is not just a celebration of Elizabeth’s 60 year reign, but a celebration of something far more sinister – to me, it’s a celebration of the ingrained inequality and class segregation within our country. It seems to me that the monarchy represents the worst of Britain: a class structured society governed by select elite whom are out of touch with the rest of the country.
Despite doing little and achieving even less, it seems the Royals expect respect and deference from us. The most brave, talented and accomplished working class woman and man are expected to praise the royals for their military service and charitable deeds. But is their use of charities and the military to bolster their own reputation really just used as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the real issues? Engaging in what can only be described as hobbies – to them – could be done without royal titles and without any cost to the state. After all, the royals are paid astronomic hourly rates for jobs they did not even have to apply for, neither are they at risk of redundancy. The Royal Family are the very antithesis of meritocracy.
Contrary to media rhetoric, the monarchy does not act as a stabilising and unifying influence on our lives. The monarchy does not have the power to prevent or stop war, oppression, inequality or divisive political policies. Stability and unity are the products of a democratic country where power is vested in the people to elect an accountable Government and head of state. This is exemplified by the USA, a republic and one of the most stable and prosperous countries in the world.
Pageantry and tourism is irrelevant to our constitution. While some enjoy the quaintness of North Korea’s pageantry, our state is not based on pageantry. Neither is our state based on tourism. In any event, the Royal Family does not generate the majority of our tourism. Of the top 10 tourist attractions in Britain collated by the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions, the only place of interest with direct royal association is the Tower of London.
The tourist argument is often used to distract people from the real issue that the monarchy is not value for money. According to the Civil List, the total official spending by Elizabeth which was paid for by the state in grants and the civil list in 2011 was a whopping £32.1 million: £13.7 on the civil list and reserve, £11.9 million on property, £6 million on travel grants and other grants and £0.5 million on communications and information grants.
This figure does not include the cost of security as well as many other expenses. Republic estimates the annual cost to be at least £202.4 million; ten times more expensive than its German counterpart. Unfortunately we will never know the true cost of the Royal Family as Elizabeth’s accounts are exempt from Freedom of Information legislation and her accounts are not scrutinised by the National Audit Office.
What we do know is that Elizabeth’s own personal fortune is about £310 million according to Forbes magazine. The royal art collection is worth up to £10 billion. The value of the Crown Estate’s property portfolio is £7 billion. The rural part of the Crown estate is a cool £1.05 billion. The value of the Elizabeth’s personal share portfolio is £90 million. The value of the marine estate is worth £587 million. Windsor estate is valued at £186 million.
Elizabeth continues to cost the taxpayer millions a year at a time when unemployment figures have reached the highest in 17 years, 1 in 4 children live in dire poverty and benefits are slashed for the ‘undeserving’ poor. £32.1 million could be better utilised to support those most in need rather than throwing money at an unelected head of state which is the ultimate symbol of inequality.
We need not despair for there is another way: an election to decide if we want Elizabeth as our head of state. After all there is an alternative to a royal family, an elected head of state and a new democratic constitution that puts power in the hands of the people. A republic will give the people of Britain a choice and a voice

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/...ith-democracy/

I liked this article...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Rowling is richer than the queen by £230 million.

Source

ProudMuslimSis
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Agreed. Get rid of them.
No one needs the self proclaimed "royals." It is shameful how some of British ruling class came to power...there is nothing to admire!

Muezzin
06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
There should be a Jubilee every month. I like long weekends.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qurratul Ayn
06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
There should be a Jubilee every month. I like long weekends.
Hear, hear!

glo
06-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Is an inherited head of state (such as the Queen of England) more frowned upon in Islam than a democratically elected head of state?

جوري
06-06-2012, 08:22 PM
what the heck is a jubilee .. what is it that she does during those?
I think the 'royals' are completely useless blood sucking vampires but not the charming nor good looking sort so that's very self defeating except I believe they do it all at your tax expense.. (I assume) anyway... :skeleton:
peasants by choice type thing.. hmmm

Muezzin
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by لميس
what the heck is a jubilee
A) A member of the X-Men

B) An excuse for a four-day weekend.

جوري
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
A member of the X-Men
explains my cluelessness <<(I am coining that term) I a more a Nausicaa than X men type gal...

Qurratul Ayn
06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
what the heck is a jubilee .. what is it that she does during those?
As Brother Muezzin said, plus it's been 60 years on the throne, and she attended events (this weekend that has just been) created for her by the lowly people, expenses covered out of our pockets.

I think the 'royals' are completely useless blood sucking vampires but not the charming nor good looking sort so that's very self defeating except I believe they do it all at your tax expense
Hear, hear!

peasants by choice type thing
Peasants by choice?! How dare you?! We are COMMONERS. (Sounds better :p)

جوري
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
We are COMMONERS
:lol: I almost choked on my drink reading that.. My niece goes to this British International school and one day she comes home asking 'what color is our blood?' ;D;D;D
I told her blue bloods are amphibians and I can't look favorably upon an amphibian posing as a human.. can you believe the crap they teach them at school and for that much money.. She also comes home with books about the European Union imagine a 6 year old reading that crap.. it is funny how they indoctrinate them younger and younger...

Qurratul Ayn
06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I almost choked on my drink reading that..
:haha:

it is funny how they indoctrinate them younger and younger...
True say plus dumbing down the nation, I truly believe that. I'll give you an example why I believe it's true and how the government and all that is in it and such (too big a consipracy to go into now)

I work in a nursery with 2 to 5 year olds, one little boy who was aged 4 by the time he left could write his name (legibly as a child could), cut with scissors in a straight line, curves, wavy lines, count up to 20, recognise numerals up to 20 (and in random order), find his name on the board, recognise the primary colours, secondary colours, black, brown, white, grey, gold, silver, and was even able to tell the difference between light and dark colours, recognise the letters of the alphabet, cut and eat properly with a knife and fork - hardly creating a mess, independently wear his clothes and take them off, can put his coat on and off (zips and button) and the school turn around and tell his father (who is always on the ball with the little'uns learning and development) that HE IS BEHIND.

HE IS BEHIND?! Now how many under 5 children do you know who could do that??? And they have the audacity to say HE IS BEHIND?!

Absolutely ridiculous.

(Apologies to all if this is off topic, just had to let it out)

tango92
06-06-2012, 09:51 PM
A jubilee is a way of spoonfeeding the masses nationalism and happiness to delude them into thinking everything is ok

A bit like new years,

There was a time when muslims had this kind of security too, it makes me more sad than anything

Insaanah
06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
she attended events (this weekend that has just been) created for her by the lowly people, expenses covered out of our pockets.
while some of the stewards for the events had to sleep rough under bridges, change in public, and had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were unpaid:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...ion?intcmp=239

Qurratul Ayn
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
while some of the stewards for the events had to sleep rough under bridges, change in public, and had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were unpaid:
Edit: OK. :D

It's absolutely awful the way the workers were treated

IslamicRevival
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
These people need to be flushed down the drains of history, the same way they're flushing millions of tax payers money down the toilet to fund this nonsense. This whole jubilee garbage looks like some sort of satanic ritual, and more fool the idiots going out in their hundreds to watch it. What were seeing is the effects of 'conditioning', the ultimate brainwash and its incredibly sad to see.

Muezzin
06-07-2012, 07:08 PM
A lot of the people who went to watch it were also spending money to do so, so there is money going back into the economy. Whether it was enough to break even or make a profit remains to be seen.

glo
06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
A lot of the people who went to watch it were also spending money to do so, so there is money going back into the economy. Whether it was enough to break even or make a profit remains to be seen.
Difficult to work out, I imagine. How could this be economically measured?

Muezzin
06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Difficult to work out, I imagine. How could this be economically measured?
I'm sure the politicians will find a way.

Qurratul Ayn
06-08-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm sure the politicians will find a way.
Well, that's all settled then. Put your feet up, relax and enjoy a good ol' cup of tea and let's carry on. These actions solve EVERYTHING.

Very British, I say.

Qurratul Ayn
06-08-2012, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Is an inherited head of state (such as the Queen of England) more frowned upon in Islam than a democratically elected head of state?
I don't think it is... As long as the Head of state is acting properly, following the Shari'ah law and for the good of the people... Which many may not do efficiently nowadays, unfortunately...:hmm:

But I will look into it, and get back to you... OK?

glo
06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Well, that's all settled then. Put your feet up, relax and enjoy a good ol' cup of tea and let's carry on. These actions solve EVERYTHING.
How very British, sis.

GuestFellow
06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
what the heck is a jubilee ...
Salaam,

It's when the public want to wave flags at the Queen. The Queen just...stares at people who wave flags at her? O_o

I really don't understand this event. It just seems like an excuse to wave flags.

Muhaba
06-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Sister Glo, you should read up on heads of state in the Islamic Caliphate, namely Abu Bakr (R), Umar (R), Uthman (R), and Ali (R), the four rightly guided rulers of the muslim state after Prophet Muhammad (SAW). they didn't live luxurious lives. they didn't eat or dress like the monarchy while the rest of the public were dying. In fact, they had to be told by others to eat right because of how little they were eating! Abu Bakr (R) got a small daily allowance while he was ruler. this allowance wasn't enough to pay for dessert so his wife tried to save some money each day so they could buy some sweets. after a few days, she told him of the money she had saved each day. Abu Bakr (R) took that money and returned it to the state treasury known as the bait-ul-mal, and told the treasurer to reduce his daily allowance by that amount.

once the bait-ul-mal had given each person a certain amount of cloth. Umar (R), the second Caliph, had also gotten a peice of cloth , but he was was really tall, so his piece was not enough for his clothes. a man saw him wearing full length clothes that couldn't have been made from one peice of cloth and so enquired how Umar had gotten more cloth than his right. Umar (R) smiled and said that since his son was present, it would be better for him to answer the question. Umar (R)'s son said that he had given his own cloth to his father.

Once Umar (R) was told that he should eat better. he said that he couldn't until every person in his kingdom was eating the way he did. once he said, my case is like that of some people going on an expedition. their belongings are collected and given into the custody of the leader. what would happen if the leader took all their belongings for himself?

Umar (R) used to walk around in the streets at night making sure that no one was in trouble. once when he heard some children crying because they had no food, he went and brought a sack of flour on his back from the baitul-mal to the children's home, and then cooked it himself for them , and didn't leave until the children were fed and happy.

so all this shows that the money collected by the government is not for the leader to use as he wishes. the ruler will answer to God about how he used that money and also about the condition of his subjects. if anyone in the kingdom is hungry or homeless, while the ruler is living luxurious, the ruler will be asked about it and punished by Allah on the Day of Judgment.

The rightly guided caliphs were aware of this so they lived such modest lives.

glo
06-09-2012, 06:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
so all this shows that the money collected by the government is not for the leader to use as he wishes. the ruler will answer to God about how he used that money and also about the condition of his subjects. if anyone in the kingdom is hungry or homeless, while the ruler is living luxurious, the ruler will be asked about it and punished by Allah on the Day of Judgment.
The rightly guided caliphs were aware of this so they lived such modest lives.
Thanks for sharing, WRITER.
I agree that people in power and authority lose their credibility very quickly when they use their status to live in wealth and riches without regard for (and often at the cost of) the people.

Umar certainly sounds like one great guy! :statisfie

But the truth is, I cannot think of a single person in our times in power and authority, either in this country or any other country, who is not corrupted by his/her money and power.
I sometimes wonder how well I would do, if I suddenly came into money and power. :hmm:

It is easy to 'be at the bottom' and shake your fist in anger at those at the top who are rich and influential ... but if we look deep into our own hearts, would we do any better? :hmm:

Muhaba
06-09-2012, 12:10 PM
^it really depends on how much faith you have and how much your fear God and how much you believe that God is watching and will ask. yes, it's so easy to be misled. Prophet Joseph said: "And I do not acquit myself. Indeed, the soul is a persistent enjoiner of evil, except those upon which my Lord has mercy. Indeed, my Lord is Forgiving and Merciful." (Holy Quran 12:53)

GuestFellow
06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vision
These people need to be flushed down the drains of history, the same way they're flushing millions of tax payers money down the toilet to fund this nonsense. This whole jubilee garbage looks like some sort of satanic ritual, and more fool the idiots going out in their hundreds to watch it. What were seeing is the effects of 'conditioning', the ultimate brainwash and its incredibly sad to see.
Salaam,

I would not mind if the monarchy kept the title, but they are not allowed to receive public money nor are they allowed to receive any special rights.

CosmicPathos
06-09-2012, 02:16 PM
No idea what this jubliee is about, and dont give a flying rat either.

Muhaba
06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I would not mind if the monarchy kept the title, but they are not allowed to receive public money nor are they allowed to receive any special rights.
they "are not allowed" or they should not be allowed to?

GuestFellow
06-09-2012, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
they "are not allowed" or they should not be allowed to?
Sorry, I meant they should not be allowed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!