/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to do for nervousness/anxiety?

young
06-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Salam brothers and sisters,

I'm a young muslim male student and I'm having some difficulty staying calm during interviews for work. I have been looking for a good place to start my career for a long time and I finally have found a job that I would love to do however I am terrified of the interview that's coming up.

Anytime I am asked to speak about myself or speak publicly I get very anxious and nervous, my breath is taken away from me and my heart begins racing and adrenaline rushes throughout my body. I am only able to say very few words before I run out of breath, making it very difficult and embarrassing for me to answer questions. It is almost like a rush of fear strikes my body and I panic, I get sweaty and I can't formulate words, coupled with a difficulty breathing during this as well. I need to overcome this nervousness because I am afraid I will never be able to find a good job if I'm unable to speak in a pressurized environment. This issue has caused a lot of depression and doubt for me.

What are some suggestions that can do away with this nervousness that always seems to strike me in situations like this? Is there any supplements I can take that will help me stay calm (vitamins or herbs) that are halal? Are there any duaa or specific ayat that will calm me down for this interview?

I would really appreciate any help regarding this matter

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

Why are you terrified? Is it because you feel you'd look like a fool if you say some thing silly or the fact that you're afraid of not getting the job?

First reason should be inconsequential because these people you most likely will never see again. So, don't worry if they think negatively of you in any way.

Second reason is equally inconsequential because whatever happens occurs with the will of Allah. If something is destined for you, it will happen regardless and if it is not destined for you, nothing can make it happen. So, relax, make dua, try your best and leave the rest in the hands of Allah. If you get the job then Alhamdulilah if not then also Alhamdulilah, maybe Allah has other better plans for you.

Specifically, I think if you have well rehearsed answers to common questions, you are less likely to feel nervous as you'd know the kind of thing they want to hear.

Look online for common questions related to your field and common general questions usually asked and have a script of what you can say. Rehearse it.

The more that you know what you'd say if you were asked a specific thing, the more confident you would be and appear and appearing confident in an interview is important.

Try this dua:

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي يَفْقَهُوا

Rabbish rahli sadri wa yas-sir li amri wahloul uqdatam mil-lisaani yafqahu qawli.

O my Lord! expand me my breast; Ease my task for me; And remove the impediment from my speech, So they may understand what I say
[20:25-28]

Al-Mufarridun
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
:sl: Akhee

You are not the only one who gets nervous and anxious when it comes to public speaking. It is something that many people experience and go through. There are many different ways one can adopt to overcome this challenge.

As you are a Muslim, I would advice you to read/learn more about the subject of Tawhid Al-Bububiyah. If you understand the basic concept of this subject and truly have Iman in it, then this will Insha'Allah eliminate this.

For now, I will advice you to memorize and carefully study the meaning and deeply ponder over the following two items.

Ayat Al-Kursi, Verse of the Throne:

Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence.
Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep.
To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth.
Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission?
He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them,
and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills.
His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not.
And He is the Most High, the Most Great. (Baqarah v.255(
-----------------

2. “La hawla wala quwwata illa billah.”
(There is no movement nor power except by Allah’s will)

-----------------

You must Know and Believe that Allah is the only real Power in existence, and that none else has power except by his permission. Thus, your focus and attention should Always be towards Allah swt. You must submit to his will, i.e. be Muslim, in all aspects of your life, to the best of your ability. This means that you should do what Allah asks of you to do, and stay away from what Allah asks you to stay away from. If you have not done that, for example if you don't pray, or you committed a sin and have not yet fully repented, then any fear, anxiety, nervousness you experience is a sign that you should return to your Creator, for he is the Owner of All that is in the heavens and earth, including the air we are breathing now.

Once you have a good relationship with Allah swt, and you are always in remembrance of Him, then Insha'Allah you'll have the peace and security that will enable you to over come this challenge and any other that comes your way.

So to summarize;
1. Take yourself to account, look at your relationship with Allah swt. If there is any thing that needs fixing, fix it right away.
2. Learn and study the deen, specially the subject of Tawhid.
3. Do more Dhikr. Anytime you feel nervous or anxious, remember Allah, recite some Dhikr.

For example; when you feel nervous, take a deep breath and say silently; Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
When you say, Allahu-Akbar = Allah is the Greatest!
- remember that you are saying that; Allah, the Creator is Greater, in every sense, than All things in Existence, because He is the One who Created them all.

The key is you must not only just say it with your tongue, but you must really focus on the meaning behind what you are saying and you must truly Believe in it.

Allah swt knows best.

aadil77
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
hmm looks like you have a condition, try some anxiety pills they should calm you down

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
i heard nervousness was because of lack of experience with the situation. once you get used to it, you'll be fine.

so meet people like in the masjid or lectures and talk to them. it will help you will getting used to people you don't know.

and go to every interview you can, especially walk-in interviews. even for jobs you don't want.

if you can go to job agencies and register, that is also good if they interview you you'll get some practice.

after a while, you'll have forgotten that you're in an interview and will be able to be yourself. you won't be nervious anymore.

aadil77
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
also recite the dua of prophet Musa, just google it

Muhaba
06-08-2012, 05:18 PM
is that:
(ya) rabb isharhli sadri wa yassirli amri wahlul oqdata min lisaani yafqahu qawli
it is in Surah Ta ha, the second page.

young
06-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied, I will definitely take into account everything.

Someone on here told me to practice and I did that. I noticed that when I'm interviewing there's always an initial period of extreme anxiety. It's almost mandatory no matter how many times I try, but after the initial adrenaline rush that goes through me I seem to be fine. Its kind of like I need to flush this initial panic out of my system and then I can carry on as normal. Strange, really.

I was thinking about getting really tired beforehand or "pumping myself up" to get a good adrenaline rush, I'm going to try this tomorrow inshalliah with the duaa you guys provided me as well. I will tell you how it goes, please make duaa for me aswell.

Muhaba
06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
^just do zikr for a half-hour before the interview and while you're waiting to be called. that should solve this problem, insha-Allah.

Muhammad
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
:sl: brother,

Some excellent advice has been given above. In addition to this, you may find some good websites giving techniques to cope with anxiety, perhaps involving breathing exercises etc. But the number one thing is to perform dhikr and remember Allaah (swt) as that is a remedy for the heart:

Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. [Ar-Ra'd: 28]

جوري
06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
If you're having anxiety that's so bad that it is giving you SVT's it helps to go sit on a toilet and make like you're having a bowel movement, it stimulates the vagus and works to get you back to regular rhythm other than that, making dhikr is most excellent advise.. There's nothing to fear or be nervous about .. Allah swt watches over everything and everyone nothing befalls a Muslims save that there's good in it in shaa Allah..

:w:

tango92
06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
i used to get really nervous at interviews aswell. if you can i recommend you keep putting yourself into sort of public speaking/pressure situations until you get used to it...

young
06-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Brothers and sisters mashallah I want to thank you dearly, I had a 1 hour interview today and it could not have possibly gone better. All of your advice truly helped me get through this situation and I really believe that I will be hired for this job. I was calm the entire process, I could think, I could listen and comprehend, it was truly a blessing from allah. The duaa and everything was great! I feel a great sense of confidence now, thank you so much!

I will update tomorrow as I have another interview.

JazakAllah Khayr!

جوري
06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Allah Akbar.. in shaa Allah you'll have much success in this life and the next...
ameen

:w:

Snowflake
06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
^Ameen

goodboye
06-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Dear,

What is your condition now.Did you succeed in overcoming starting nervousness. If yes, how you succeeded? I am suffering from exact same trouble. Please reply

Marina-Aisha
06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
i have really bad anxiety when calling people dont ask me why cos i dont know but here is dua that helps me please try learn it

rabbi ishrah lee sadree
Wayassir lee amree
Waohlul AAuqdatan min lisanee
Yafqahoo qawlee
"O my Lord! Open for me my chest
"And ease my task for me;
"And make loose the knot from my tongue,
"That they understand my speech,”
Al-Qur'an, 20.025-28

also

allahumma laa sahlaa illa
maa ja'altahu sahla wa
anta tajalul hazna izaa
she'ta sahlan

o allah there is no ease except what you make easy, and you alone ca turn a difficulty into an ease, when you please.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!