PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Pets/Dog not allowed in Islam



yasirslm
06-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Dear Brothers/Sisters,

Recently I was informed by my good friend that keeping Pets/Dog at home is not allowed in Islam. How much reality is in this as I don't have any idea.

Thanks and Regards,

Peace!!!!
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
06-08-2012, 06:58 AM
:salamext:

Please refer to this post:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ml#post1515797

and this

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1325541
Reply

dysphoricrocker
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Salaam.

I do not know about dogs, but i have never heard that keeping pets is disallowed, i know alot of Muslims who have pets at home. Hopefully someone else can clarify this matter.
Reply

yasirslm
06-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok thanks as I came to know that dog as a pet is not allowed...what about other pets like parrot,peacock,cat etc
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
~ Sabr ~
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by yasirslm
Ok thanks as I came to know that dog as a pet is not allowed...what about other pets like parrot,peacock,cat etc
Ruling on Keeping pets: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/124154
Reply

Snowflake
06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by yasirslm
Ok thanks as I came to know that dog as a pet is not allowed...what about other pets like parrot,peacock,cat etc
Keeping cats and other animals is allowed provided they are well cared for and not abused and mistreated in any way. One of the blessed Companions of Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) loved cats so much that people started addressing him as Abu Hurayrah (Father of the Kitten - Father of cats in some translations).

The great Sahaabi Abu Hurayrah (literally “Father of the Kitten”) was so called because he used to love cats and keep them. He became well known by this name and people forgot his real name, until the scholars disputed concerning his real name and there were nearly thirty different opinions as to what it was. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Istee’aab: “The most correct view is that his name was ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Sakhr but none of them disputed that he was Abu Hurayrah.”

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/7004
Reply

Pygoscelis
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Well there is one more reason why I could never be a muslim.

Originally Posted by linked article above
The animal that is kept should not be a dog, because Islam has forbidden keeping dogs except guard dogs and hunting dogs. This has been explained in the answer to question no. 69777. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3225) and Muslim (2106). Would the Muslim be happy for the angels of mercy not to accompany him in his house because of an animal he is keeping?
Angels are not allowed to be near dogs..... why? Are dogs not creatures created by Allah?

I thought a ban on dogs would be because of germs they carry or because some are trained as weapons (but an exemption is actually given for guard dogs). But the reason is because dogs keep angels away? Is this an accurate doctrine of Islam?
Reply

Who Am I?
06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Must.... not... rant.... must... not... rant....

:raging:
Reply

Jedi_Mindset
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Well there is one more reason why I could never be a muslim.



Angels are not allowed to be near dogs..... why? Are dogs not creatures created by Allah? Are angels alergic or something?

I thought a ban on dogs would be because of germs they carry or because some are trained as weapons (but an exemption is actually given for guard dogs). But the reason is because dogs keep angels away? Is this an accurate doctrine of Islam?
Dogs are not the cleanest animals, thats why. They smell and eat everything.
Reply

Pygoscelis
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
Dogs are not the cleanest animals, thats why. They smell and eat everything.
So do humans, especially kids lol. Dogs actually are as dirty as we let them be and eat what we feed them. Also, cats, birds, and many other animals are just as dirty and eat just as odd things as dogs do. This reasoning would seem to apply to most if not all pets.

It makes some sense and I could see why you would base a ban on pets on this. But this isn't the reason given in the text I quoted (and that was linked to above). That text said that dogs are not permitted because dogs (and apparently only dogs) keep angels away. Is your reason the correct reason and this one wrong?
Reply

Jedi_Mindset
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
So do humans, especially kids lol. Dogs actually are as dirty as we let them be and eat what we feed them. Also, cats, birds, and many other animals are just as dirty and eat just as odd things as dogs do. This reasoning would seem to apply to most if not all pets.

It makes some sense and I could see why you would base a ban on pets on this. But this isn't the reason given in the text I quoted (and that was linked to above). That text said that dogs are not permitted because dogs (and apparently only dogs) keep angels away. Is your reason the correct reason and this one wrong?
Its one of these reasons but you know its not really forbidden to keep dogs, just watching out because you know dogs can be kinda dirty, because they use their tongue when you play with them. you know what i mean? Dogs can be used for guarding and hunting. Much muslims do built an extra barn for their dog or let the dog sleep in the barn they've.
Reply

BadOlPuttyTat
06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
Dogs are not the cleanest animals, thats why. They smell and eat everything.
Actually scientist joke about dogs being cleaner then humans. It is now treated as a fact regarding a majority of breeds. My dog constantly sheds her fur and has a new coat every 4 days! The amount of fur that rubs off her is insane, it just litters everything but all you do is use a vacuum or blow it away. Dogs do not sweat so they do not secrete impurities but they rid them away in their urine and fecal matter. My dog is never dirty because of this and she smells quite fresh despite taking a bath 6 weeks ago. She just sniffed through a bunch of dirt and garbage and after a day all dirt on her fur is gone because she shed that fur in a matter of hours. And also dog saliva is good for you! It has an agent that kills bacteria. So dogs are actually more cleaner then us. They can eat their own poo yet not get infections. So you say they are unclean but technically speaking they have way less bacteria in or on them then humans, no joke :statisfie . Dogs have a stronger digestive system then us allowing them to stay healthier also along with a host of other things. This is why dogs survive so long
Reply

Insaanah
06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
But the reason is because dogs keep angels away
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
But this isn't the reason given in the text I quoted (and that was linked to above). That text said that dogs are not permitted because dogs (and apparently only dogs) keep angels away.
Nowhere does the hadeeth say that dogs are forbidden because they keep angels away, and never is that given as a reason in the hadeeth. The hadeeth say that the angels don't enter a house with a dog, not that dogs are forbidden because the angels don't enter.

Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Are dogs not creatures created by Allah?
Absolutely. He has created them, and the rules surrounding them. He created pigs, yet pork is forbidden to us to eat, the only exemption being if one is forced out of some compelling circumstances. Similarly He created dogs, but we cannot keep them as pets. He created other animals, some of which are good and lawful to us to eat without ritual slaughter, such as fish, others which are allowed if slaughtered correctly, and some which are never allowed.

Peace.
Reply

Snowflake
06-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Well there is one more reason why I could never be a muslim.
If I may use this statement as an example, as it's not only yourself, but some muslims also have problems with islamic prohibitions when they go against their desires.

What I wonder is why we compete with/question the knowledge of the Creator? Over 1400 years ago Allah told mankind that the Universe is expanding. It took 14 centuries for science to confirm that. If the Creator parted perfect knowledge of the expansion of the Universe then would His knowledge about why dogs are impure, or pigs are impure or any matter, be flawed? Na udhu billah! It's us who need to accept that there are things that will never become apparent, ever. And their knowledge will remain only with God who has knowledge of everything in the heavens and the earth.

I don't know much computer jargon, but imagine the world like one big computer, and everything in it and that descends upon it as good and bad programs. We accept in our personal PC's that a bad program (virus) can corrupt a good one. But when Allah prohibits something, let's call the prohibition a firewall, people don't accept that the firewall is for their own good, and instead blame Islam as not being compatible with their lives.

Now imagine the angels of mercy as good program. It wants to install mercy in your home. But for reasons fully known only to Allah, this 'program' is incompatible with the program (your home) if you have installed a dog/picture in it. A dog can be bathed, prevented from eating it's own waste, and be cleansed from all the obvious things that WE THINK make it unsuitable as a pet, but there could be something about them, in their creation, that we don't know but God does, and that is why he has forbidden us from keeping them as pets.


We need to look past what little knowledge God gave us and accept that we can't comprehend the complexities of creation which include the unseen side, like the soul. Only Allah knows the formation of His creations and how they affect each other. All we have to believe is that God is greater than His Creation and His Wisdom and Knowledge are unlimited. So our duty is to hear and obey. And sometimes I get this hopeful feeling that in the here-after, maybe Allah will show the slaves who believed without question, the secrets of His creation which He'd kept hidden from them in the dunya. Maybe. Maybe not. Allah Alone is our Creator and Master. And that's all that matters.





Reply

dqsunday
06-09-2012, 06:02 AM
dog saliva is not 'clean' in any sense of the word. A dog bite can become infected just as easily as any other animal bite. Allah decreed dogs are to stay outside, and we should only have hunting or guard dogs. He has his reasons and He knows more than we do and only tells us what He wants us to know.

I love dogs personally..they are a great companion animal but they are now off my list of potential future pets, unless I get one to serve as a guard or hunting dog. Since I don't hunt and not likely going to train my dog strictly to be a guard dog..I probably end up not getting one at all.

Fortunately I am also a cat lover and reptile lover..so I will not run out of choices to have as a pet once I am in a place where pets are allowed. (ie back to living in my own place instead of my folks)

There are other ways to spend time around dogs without owning one. Most shelters will be glad to let you take any of their dogs for a walk. Many also like having places to temporary foster a dog, taking a part time job as a dog walker...all can give that dog/human interaction.

Other furry pets can fulfill that cuddling need. As much as the stereotypical cat is seen as aloof and never comes when called, I have come across many affection cats who enjoy as much attention as a typical dog. Fostering for your local Humane Society can certainly expose you to many different cats till you find one who's as affectionate as you need etc. There are also the 'pocket' pets, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, chinchillas etc. which also make good pets. Just do your research first, (use many sites to research, visit local library to pick up books etc) to ensure you can provide the best home and understand the needs of these animals. Most are easy to care for but often to get the most enjoyment out of them, its good to research. Do it yourself too, not just rely on the knowledge of the guy/gal at the petshop. Many are knowledgeable, many aren't and can give wrong or incomplete information.
Reply

Pygoscelis
06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Snowflake
If I may use this statement as an example, as it's not only yourself, but some muslims also have problems with islamic prohibitions when they go against their desires.

What I wonder is why we compete with/question the knowledge of the Creator?
I think this goes directly to the concept in Islam of surrender to Allah. I can see no rational or compassionate reason to be against dogs. I love dogs. Islam asks me to put aside my own reasoning and my own moral judgments and surrender it to Allah because Allah is all knowing and knows better than I do what is best for me. I may be missing key information, etc. Instead of providing me with that information I am asked to have faith that it is valid and that I should do as I am told. This doesn't only apply to things like dogs or eating pork, and goes to pretty much anything.

It reminds me of the Abraham and Isaac story as the Christians tell it (I'm still not 100% clear on the muslim version) where Abraham is asked to kill his son, something Abraham should know is immoral, and to trust God when he says it is moral. This demand for me to turn off my own logical and moral reasoning and to obey what I am told God wants is probably the one thing that scares me most about religion in general.

But that is just me, and perhaps it only scares me because I am not convinced that God actually exists to want these things (and I suspect I am being used as somebody's puppet, etc). If I did believe then I'd have to agree it would make little sense for me to question perfect and benevolent knowledge. I do trust in my physician and take the medication he prescribes. I do trust in my auto mechanic and drive the car he says he's repaired for me. So I do see where you are coming from regarding trusting in Allah.

Anyway, we seem to have taken this off topic so I"ll stop here, and just say one more thing. I love my dog :) That is him in the photo in my avatar, drying off with a towel after his bath. I love that photo because he looks like a cartoon character in it lol
Reply

yasirslm
06-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Insaanah
Nowhere does the hadeeth say that dogs are forbidden because they keep angels away, and never is that given as a reason in the hadeeth. The hadeeth say that the angels don't enter a house with a dog, not that dogs are forbidden because the angels don't enter.
I am still not clear if I am having a dog angles will not enter my home means I sholud keep dog away...
Reply

~ Sabr ~
06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by yasirslm
I am still not clear if I am having a dog angles will not enter my home means I sholud keep dog away...
Basically angels don't enter a house where there is a dog. So if you want Angels to enter your house, don't keep a dog. Simple.
Reply

yasirslm
06-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks
Reply

~ Sabr ~
06-11-2012, 07:27 AM
You're welcome brother
Reply

BadOlPuttyTat
06-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by dqsunday
dog saliva is not 'clean' in any sense of the word. A dog bite can become infected just as easily as any other animal bite. Allah decreed dogs are to stay outside, and we should only have hunting or guard dogs. He has his reasons and He knows more than we do and only tells us what He wants us to know.
Your going against science my dear lady. Dogs have bacteria int heir mouths like us humans. But dog SALIVA is very clean and allows dogs to eat anything because of the lysozyme enzymes in it. By record, humans have the more filthiest mouths then dogs. A regular house dog gas less bacteria in its mouth then humans. Thats treated as a fact now I may add. So your argument holds no weight because it holds a thesis without an example.
Many dogs have bacteria int heir mouths that are deadly but they never hurt the dog because of their saliva.
Lately in the US there have been all sorts of cases of food illnesses because of improper management of food products. Dog food here in california had a salmonella outbreak which is a very serious disease here. Dogs are so immune to eating bacteria thanks to their saliva that it was showed they could eat the diseased food and be free of the bacteria in their mouths after a week if they stopped eating. Dog saliva is more beneficial then it is bad. The animals with the filthiest saliva is sharks and the giant Komodo Dragon lizards. Both of which can infect and possibly kill you in roughly 12 hours on a single bite. So just dont keep pet sharks or Monitor lizards
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!