/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my life? (Failed Maths Again)

User29123
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
:sl:

So basically I had my GCSE Maths Exam today, I am doing high tier and I found it really hard unfortunately I ran out of time so I missed half questions and I know I did really crap because I forgot half the formulas this was non-calculator I have calculator paper on Wednesday but I doubt I will do any better on that. I know it will be a fail.

Anyway I will no longer resit maths because frankly I have had enough of it. I will improve English next year. This also means Uni is no longer an option for me and apprenticeships are also no longer an option because apprenticeships & uni require A*-C and now they are very competitive.

I wanted to work in the IT industry because I like that area since I been working for computers a long time, I wanted to do Game Programming which only required a C in maths and probably English (although it never said).

I currently do IT System Support and CISCO. After this course which will finish in June 2013 I simply do not know which road to head down...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
thewhiz012
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Salam 3laykum,

Take a breath,

I also did the maths higher tier today, and I also couldn't complete several questions, Inshallah we will both be fine and you can do better on wednesday.

If you don't mind me asking, are you from Derby? Or is the whole country doing it today?

3laykum salam

User29123
06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thewhiz012
Salam 3laykum,

Take a breath,

I also did the maths higher tier today, and I also couldn't complete several questions, Inshallah we will both be fine and you can do better on wednesday.

If you don't mind me asking, are you from Derby? Or is the whole country doing it today?

3laykum salam
No I am not for Derby, but yes the whole country does it today it is national, you did Edexcel or AQA?

Qurratul Ayn
06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
:wasalamex

Oh, the joys of GCSE's! I used to find it so exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time just before the exam began! :haha:

OK, seriously, you will be fine. Don't stress about it, Insha'Allaah you shall do well for your calculator paper, and that will help bump up your marks and may even get the grade/s you need!

Keep making Du'a, read your Salah, read the Qur'an and try your utmost in revision and in the exam room and Keep a weather eye on the time and how far you are on the paper!

Remember whatever happens is for the best, and Allaah always helps us and gives us challenges in life to complete to reach our goal, if you don't get what you require for your university course, Allaah will find another way to help you achieve it if that's the degree you really want to do, plus you never know what the future holds...

format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
After this course which will finish in June 2013
And you have a whole year to complete it! Insha'Allaah you shall do well

You may think, "NONE OF THIS IS HELPFUL, WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT WOMAN?!"

But trust and put your absolute faith in Allaah, He will get you through this and guide you along the true path too :)

I shall be making Du'a for you and for all of us out there, as always :)

:salamext:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
thewhiz012
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh Okay,

I did Edexcel. Some places accept C grade for game programming, I know the college I am at does anyway. I'm sure you would be about to negotiate/convince your new College / Course that your a good student, hard working etc. if you could get a reference from previous College. They might just let you in, I am going to have to do the same as well. So I'm hoping for the best.

User29123
06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thewhiz012
Oh Okay,

I did Edexcel. Some places accept C grade for game programming, I know the college I am at does anyway. I'm sure you would be about to negotiate/convince your new College / Course that your a good student, hard working etc. if you could get a reference from previous College. They might just let you in, I am going to have to do the same as well. So I'm hoping for the best.
The required is C or above I got D. Just does not work..

dqsunday
06-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Perhaps you need a different approach Brother, on how to study/prepare for the math exam. Memorizing formulas or using a sheet (if they allow a formula sheet) may not be working for you. Sometimes acronyms can help but even then you have to understand the basic concept behind the formula (how it works basically).

Maybe it will be a good idea to take a summer math course to improve your math skills..then try and take the exam again. Or maybe get yourself a tutor to help out (but since its the end of the school year pretty much, may have to try for a summer course that can give you the credit you are missing to make up for it).

I did a google search for game design and found this blog that is kind enough to give some suggestions on what to learn. It does encourage a 4 year bachelor degree...though it seems pretty flexible in what you major in. There is always the possibility of trying for school that specializes in Game Design. (may have to google to find one as I have no idea of any offline.) It wouldn't hurt to check out any current job ads (even if not in your area) to see what they are looking for in an entrance/beginner level game designer. Keep in mind that, like movies, there is a whole slew of career options under the huge umbrella of 'game design'. Everything from concept art, (hand drawn or done on computer), story/plot, just the idea of the game, etc. Even music has to be set up. Game design is pretty much like a movie...if you think about it. From the story idea, dialogue, action scenes, between 'chapter' videos, etc. Even before you get to the actually programming.

here's the link I mentioned..

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...reparation.php

dysphoricrocker
06-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Salaam.

I do not know if what i am going to say will benefit you, but i suppose when it comes to maths, it can't be much of a difference.

I am generally pretty good with maths alhamdulillah. Maths is all about practice. My friends, when they are preparing for the GCSE Os or As, what they do is just buy a revision books that has past years' questions(it's called the Ten Year Series here). I do the same. I buy one book, and complete it at least twice. I would recommend this, insyaAllah it will benefit you.

جوري
06-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Salaamz Akhi,

I don't know much about the British system, I can see this is very important to you. So I am just going to give you my bit of advise on failure and anyone who has had a career, went to college, school whatever had to deal with it at some point or another.
Failure can only be so considered when you decide to give up. If this is something that's important to you then saddle up and do it again. If you can maybe get tutoring or study in a group, or sit down and look at areas of weakness and go over them again.
Anything that's worth anything doesn't come easy so you can focus on what was lost which I don't advise or you can try to save what's to come and in shaa Allah to the best outcome..

fi aman illah

:w:

User29123
06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
Perhaps you need a different approach Brother, on how to study/prepare for the math exam. Memorizing formulas or using a sheet (if they allow a formula sheet) may not be working for you. Sometimes acronyms can help but even then you have to understand the basic concept behind the formula (how it works basically).

Maybe it will be a good idea to take a summer math course to improve your math skills..then try and take the exam again. Or maybe get yourself a tutor to help out (but since its the end of the school year pretty much, may have to try for a summer course that can give you the credit you are missing to make up for it).

I did a google search for game design and found this blog that is kind enough to give some suggestions on what to learn. It does encourage a 4 year bachelor degree...though it seems pretty flexible in what you major in. There is always the possibility of trying for school that specializes in Game Design. (may have to google to find one as I have no idea of any offline.) It wouldn't hurt to check out any current job ads (even if not in your area) to see what they are looking for in an entrance/beginner level game designer. Keep in mind that, like movies, there is a whole slew of career options under the huge umbrella of 'game design'. Everything from concept art, (hand drawn or done on computer), story/plot, just the idea of the game, etc. Even music has to be set up. Game design is pretty much like a movie...if you think about it. From the story idea, dialogue, action scenes, between 'chapter' videos, etc. Even before you get to the actually programming.

here's the link I mentioned..

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...reparation.php
Game Designer and Game Programmer are two different things. Game Designer is a person who does all the art makes all the 3D models. A Game Programmer is a person who tells the game what to do and writes all the "computer code". I want to do Game Programmer.

Tutor is to expensive and I don't work, plus they will end EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) which makes it even hard. I will probably have to keep trying..

~ Sabr ~
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Make lots and lots and lots

and lots and lots and lots

of du'a!

User29123
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah

Make lots and lots and lots

of du'a!

I did last year and I still failed..

~ Sabr ~
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Let me share this with you, maybe it will help inshaAllaah....

“Things aren’t always as they seem.

The Mother of Musa (Alayhi Salam) Umm Musa was told to throw her son in the river
Yusuf (Alayhi Salam) was left for dead in a well
Maryam (radiallahu anha) delivered a child alone
Aisha (radiallahu anha) was accused of a terrible sin
Yunus (Alayhi Salam) was swallowed by a whale
Ibrahim (alayhi salam) was thrown in the fire
Muhammad (Salalahu Alayhi wa Salam) lost the love of his life Khadija (radiallahu anha)

Umm Salamah (radiallahu anha) thought no one could be better than Abu Salamah (radiallahu anhu)

Yet look at how it turned out for them in the end.
So don’t worry, Allah has a plan for you.”

Periwinkle18
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
u gotta relax n give a retake again inshaAllah u'll do good u hav to work hard though. i hated math was really bad at it ended up with a C 70 sumfin percent. wht i used to do was solve tons of past papers tht helps alot trust me i was really bad at it was surprised wen i got a C. keep practising do lots of past papers n inshaAllah u'll do it :)

Dun worry too much n dun lose hope go n study k :)

I'll pray fo you :)

Eric H
06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Greetings and peace be with you PoweredByGoogle;

I have calculator paper on Wednesday but I doubt I will do any better on that.
Get off this froum and all other distractions, you should be studying and praying for tomorrow.

I know it will be a fail.
You only fail when you have given up

Blessings,

Eric

Muhaba
06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
for preparing for math exams, you need to do the problems many times to learn them well. overstudy.

then when you are going for exam, get good night's rest. don't study a couple of days before the exam. relax.
on the day of the exam, just before the exam, don't eat anything too sweet as sugar messes your ability to do exams. this is proven scientifically. but don't go hungry to exam either. eat well.

du duas for passing.

while taking the exam, tell yourself that you'll do alright and there's nothing to worry about. read each question. if you're unable to do a question, don't waste time on it. go on to the next. later, when you have time, you can come back to the ones you didn't do and try them again. (you can mark a question if you know it but can't solve it at that time. when you have solved some problems, you'll be less stressed and may be able to do those better.

also, look at the marks. if a problem is too complicated but has fewer marks, try another which is less difficult. sometimes the very difficult question will have the same marks as a less difficult one. you can do the less difficult ones in less time so will be able to solve more questions. working on the more difficult or complex ones will take more of your time and you'll be able to do fewer, thus getting fewer grades.

insha-Allah in future you'll do better. but is game programming a good line? is it halal? computer games are a waste of time and many have pictures and music so will the income be halal? you'll need to think of that. maybe a different, more beneficial line might be better than game programming.

tango92
06-12-2012, 03:53 PM
akhi, gcse maths isnt something to worry about bro - if your failing it then there is something wrong in your approach to study

do this: at least 8 past papers in prep for each exam and not just by copying down solutions from the answers - i almost guarantee you will pass

Txyib
06-14-2012, 06:09 PM
SALAAM
i may face the same issue as i am sitting a FOUNDATION paper within 2wks and i am panicking dont know what to revise and want to know the main topics to learn etc
my acceptable grade is a c but i keep getting e and f's
please could someone help me very much as i want to get a c this time as it is the last test and will have a massive impact on me bcuz if i do get a c then i will do higher next text after this insha allah
please could you LI members give me advice and support
wasalam

IbnAbdulHakim
06-14-2012, 08:10 PM
try apprenticeships? Thats how I got to where I am now, and im very comfy now :)

I am a telecoms engineer atm

Txyib
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
salaam
but are apprentiships good salary?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
started at 16k and now soon going onto 27k... so i guess it depends on what kind of apprenticeship you go for and how hard you strive. also what you study!

Asiyah3
06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I read you wrote "what to do with my wife", and wondered what on Earth does a wife got to do with math? :D

User29123
06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
The calculator paper was better, but I still failed boths papers will be added to get total mark.

Periwinkle18
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Aww dun worry keep trying :) inshaAllah you'll do gr8 next time just try to relax

Pure Purple
06-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Lol !I read "What to do with my life?"I thought this is going to be serious issue.
Never knew failing in maths subject may lead to failure in life.Serious topic^o)

Paprika
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the club, I hate maths too.....:confused:

Asiyah3
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paprika
Welcome to the club, I hate maths too.....:confused:
Are you sure? If it wasn't for maths, you wouldn't be having a computer in front of you...

Some say they hate maths, because they aren't skillful in it. But it would be more fair to judge a subject after understanding it and after having learnt it.

introspective
06-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Not to sound pompous, it might have been that you were under-prepared and relied on wishful thinking. Do you often find yourself procrastinating? Try to move onto other scheduled tasks if you seem to lose concentration and focus. Reshuffle between tasks. I would break down studying into small tasks. Take a practice test, see where you need improvement, and make a list/plan of concepts to be studied. If you are studying a particular concept and find it hard to concentrate, move onto the next concept and prioritize accordingly (you'll eventually come back to it once you've covered the others). Take small breaks when needed. No need to feel ashamed but we all exhibit signs of procrastination when faced with completing tasks. Perseverance and persistence are essential when you want to study efficiently.

Talking from experience, try not to stay up too late into night. If you are constantly going to sleep very late at night, then your body will always be under stress. I have read that one should stop using the the TV, PC, smartphone, and other related electronics at least two hours before going to bed. In addition, stop eating at least two hours before going to sleep as well. It supposedly helps your brain 'power down' and allows your body to anticipate a resting period. A lack of focus, a short attention span, feeling quick to agitate, and feeling "drained" are often linked with sleep deprivation.

Paprika
06-28-2012, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
Are you sure? If it wasn't for maths, you wouldn't be having a computer in front of you...

Some say they hate maths, because they aren't skillful in it. But it would be more fair to judge a subject after understanding it and after having learnt it.
Yeah, I am sure, it's a crappy subject to say the least, It would have been better if we didn't have computers, the evils of technology far outweight the good. I wish I lived in the age of swords, horse and carts and when women still looked like women with long hair and dresses and when gay actually meant happy.......

Bintulislam
06-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Lol! Assalamu Alaikum,

Hey, I was trying to find the first post but couldn't, I too am not-very-technology-savvy :P :D Anyways, getting to your question, 'what to do with your life? I've failed maths again' :)

Let me share a little something with you. See, I am a medstudent i.e I am going to be a doctor. Last year I scored below 2.00 GP in Biochemistry twice, which is equivalent to flunking. I was so dejected and depressed that I can't even explain it in words. It felt as if I was unworthy of the course, that I didn't deserve to be a doctor. I had lost my confidence and my self-esteem was so low that I thought I'd never ever be able to clear any exam. I had another option, which was to bribe and get a higher score, like that. 30 of my batchmates opted for it. I couldn't. I just couldn't stoop that low. It's haraam. So instead I went for it again, and Alhamdulillah (x infinity), I passed. Not to mention, had I not, I was to be kicked out of the school.

'What do with your life?' Point is: No matter how hard it gets, no matter your life's turned upside down, you flunk an exam or you're kicked out of school, even if it's something as serious as losing a loved one or being totally destroyed, what matters is, whether when you die, you go to hell or not. If not, then you've actually made it. :)

Your problem isn't solution-less. And not that grave too. :P

First of all, you need to find out the problem which is causing this. It could be, you're not paying attention during the class, or you're not giving it enough time. See, maths is all about practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get. there's one more thing common between us i.e the hatred for Mathematics. :P See, I hated maths because I was weak at it. And that's why I wanted to evade any possible interaction with my fat Math book. Trick to this is: Face it, spend time with your book. Work on it. Practice maths regularly.

Or get a tuition. Or ask your friends to combine study. :)

Asiyah3
06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I am sure, it's a crappy subject to say the least, It would have been better if we didn't have computers, the evils of technology far outweight the good.
You shouldn't direct your dislike for "the evils" at computers. Don't blame technology and don't blame maths for people misusing it. Come on, you may not personally like or enjoy maths, and that's completely fine, but I think all sciences including maths should be respected.

We may not personally like having cats or dogs, but because they are Allah's creation we should nevertheless respect them.

I wish I lived in the age of swords, horse and carts and when women still looked like women with long hair and dresses and when gay actually meant happy.......
It's rather better to be pleased with what you have. Perhaps if you were born at that time, you would've hoped you were born at this time. There was a story about a guy, a blacksmith who hoped he was a mountain, when he became a mountain he hoped for something else, and again his wish was granted until in the end he came back to where he was, hoping he was a blacksmith.

introspective
06-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I am sure, it's a crappy subject to say the least, It would have been better if we didn't have computers, the evils of technology far outweight the good. I wish I lived in the age of swords, horse and carts and when women still looked like women with long hair and dresses and when gay actually meant happy.......
....when we did not have heavy handed corporations manipulating geopolitics for capital gain....but then there were the Romans and Persians....could have been worse....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!