/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Legal Work requires Bribe...

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Dear Bothers/Sisters,

AOA,

I am living in a country where to do a legal work I have to pay bribe to Government officials in order to start work and if I will not pay bribe to Government officials they will impose unnecessary objections even if my documents are fully complete. What to do in such situation as Bribe is prohibited in Islam.

Thanks and regards.

Peace!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yasirslm
06-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Its very easy to say "Go into a different line of work" be practical...^o)

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
I used the Word LEGAL WORK...

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 08:33 AM
That's good..so do I.

Peace!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pure Purple
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
brother first give some description about your work.I am sure members of this forum will give you useful advice. :statisfie

Endymion
06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
:sl: Yasirslm.

I know exactly where you are coming from.This situation is truly painful and indeed a test for a believer but we need to always keep this in mind Islam is deeyn -e-Fitrat and there is a solution to every problem.Please read the link carefully,im sure you'll find answer to your question.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/72268

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
brother first give some description about your work.I am sure members of this forum will give you useful advice. :statisfie
I do some construction work (Building homes) and whenever I go to Government office they asks for bribe for passing House map.

~ Sabr ~
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
:sl: Yasirslm.

I know exactly where you are coming from.This situation is truly painful and indeed a test for a believer but we need to always keep this in mind Islam is deeyn -e-Fitrat and there is a solution to every problem.Please read the link carefully,im sure you'll find answer to your question.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/72268
Here is your answer.

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok I have read It but still not clear as it was with out references.

It is permissible for you to give a bribe and it is haraam for the official who takes it, but there are two conditions:
1- You should be giving it in order to take your rights or to ward off harm from yourself. But if you are giving it in order to take something to which you are not entitled, then it is haraam and is a major sin.
2- There should be no other means of obtaining your rights or warding off harm from yourself except this bribe.

Can anyone explain what QURRAN says about Bribe with references.

~ Sabr ~
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasirslm
Can anyone explain what QURRAN says about Bribe with references.
And you see many of them hurrying for sin and transgression, and eating illegal things [as bribes and Riba (usury), etc.]. Evil indeed is that which they have been doing.
[Qur'aan, Chapter 5, Verse 62]

yasirslm
06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
So final conclusion is give and take for taking decision in your favor in haram..

Muhaba
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
brother you must first understand what a bribe is. It is giving money to take the rights of others. but if you are trying to get your own rights then it is not a bribe on your part. it is an injustice. the ones taking it are unjustly taking it from you but insha-Allah you aren't sinning.

if you are paying it to get your work done which is your right, then it isn't a bribe.
on the other hand, if you are payng money to speedup your work and in the process pushing other ppl's work behind, then that is a bribe too.

Allah says in the Quran, Surah 2, verse 188:

And do not consume one another's wealth unjustly or send it [in bribery] to the rulers in order that [they might aid] you [to] consume a portion of the wealth of the people in sin, while you know [it is unlawful].

you can read the commentary of this verse for more information.

aadil77
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
LOL, If its a standard charge then take it as a fee instead of a bribe :p

Muhaba
06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasirslm
I do some construction work (Building homes) and whenever I go to Government office they asks for bribe for passing House map.
as for construction work, you have to be careful it doesn't become bribe on your part. you have to be careful that you fulfil all requirements for the work to be passed, as many in this field don't comply with legal requirements. if you just depend on the payment to pass the map, then it is a bribe. if your work fully complies with legal requirements, and you still need the fee to get the work passed, then consider it just a fee.

~ Sabr ~
06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
LOL, If its a standard charge then take it as a fee instead of a bribe :p
It's not a standard fee though, the government is corrupt.

Pure Purple
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
my brother was very confused he is interested in Architecture field as he has already taken elective subject in 10th(IcSE board) technical drawing(engineering drawing) ,alhumdulillah scored well.
Only problem was you have to go to the government department for sanctioning of plan.They approved only when you pay bribe.He did istikhara ,also I asked to my senior sir about this.They said he is not taking bribe for himself.it is the procedure you have to follow it.He can do work for our muslim community.Finally he decide to go for the architecture.Journey is still long he must finish 12th standard, clear the NATA test...:exhausted

dqsunday
06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
It feels like a bribe to me...I wouldn't work in construction if its the only way to get a house plan approved is to take a bribe (and from the way its described, its not just a bid to win the contract as is done in some places...highest bidder or the company that can get the job done at the lowest cost while meeting all the legal standards of construction) It sounds unlawful to me, even if construction work/archetecture designing is legal in the country. If bribes are used as the main or one of the primary needs for the government to decide to grant or disapprove a plan, it sounds like it goes to the one who bribes the official the most...which seems very unlawful to me, and very much a bribe..afterall the highest briber may not have the best or safest design plans which can put everybody who lives in the building when built, at risk... But i am no Islamic scholar or knowledgeable on fiqh.. Its more...my instincts tell me bribary is wrong...pretending its just a standard fee or 'tip' is just 'dressing' a wrong in a pretty gown. Its still wrong.

I freely admit however, that my instinct...can be wrong too.

Abz2000
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
I wouldn't work in construction if its the only way to get a house plan approved is to take a bribe
salamz ukhti,
what you're saying makes sense in theory, but in practice it would be impossible for anyone to build a house, because they know that the architect will have to bribe corrupt officials.

sad situation - can't give anyone an answer on that, nor will anyone bear their burdens on the day of judgement.
but i believe sincerity in making that decision must be there.
and not giving or just giving is not a proper solution.

a solution to this is to absolve oneself of blame before God and help the community by working hard to make sure they stop taking bribes, even if it means getting together more people who want to make that change and demanding a change,
and if that doesn't work, recording the scumbags (spy camera pens video + audio + 8gb memory card capacity are available on ebay for £15).
personally, if i was forced to pay a bribe for something that is my right, i wouldn't feel bad about recording it and paying a decent reporter to publish it.
and if ur in a country where they so openly take bribes, it's highly likely that the press will emphasize ur story for another "payment" - they did for us, they were ready to organize a full press conference with reporters from the top dailies for a certain payment when our land came under dispute and certain government officials had taken payment from the other side.
and if there is injustice right to the top, then to realize that the first solution is to work to establish Islam, and do away with these corrupt criminal governments.
once Islam is established, the rest falls into place as standard procedure.

btw, if the government puts a tax or levy that is not allowed in Islam, it still falls under the same category as injustice - as above, since they are using their position to extract it from you.

جوري
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
I'd leak this to Al-Jazeera and start a revolution. The time has come for a change and to remove the corruption that has a handful of despots controlling and playing with the lives of millions.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!