/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ADHD and Medications

Ar-RaYYan
06-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Have you when you were a child or any children you know taken medications for ADHD?

What are the pro and cons of a child taking medications for ADHD?

Is it really worth taking constant medications and sometimes different medications several times a day or better for them to remain drug free and hopefully if possible let them grow out of it? :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ar-RaYYan
06-21-2012, 12:26 AM
*Bump*

PouringRain
06-21-2012, 12:56 AM
There are many different ADHD medications and each carries its own pros and cons. I'd suggest researching into the various kinds or speaking about them with your doctor.

Some children respond very well to alternate treatments, such as changes in diet. If you google, you can find some good website with alternative treatments.

In my opinion, parents should first try alternative treatments (diet, behavioral plans, environment, etc.), and if these do not work, and the child's ADHD is affecting the child's performance in school, then it is time to consider medication.

Most children do not outgrow ADHD. Adults with ADHD are fun to watch. :statisfie :nervous:

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
06-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Asalaam aleikum,

ADHD "medications" are speed, they are not medications, they are drugs. The human body increases tolerance for these drugs and dosages will continue to go up. It would set the child up for a huge amount of problems in the future. My teenage brother was on them from the age of 11 until last year (he's 15 now) and he decided to come off them himself because of how they made him feel. His first reaction when he saw me reading this thread was "oh no, tell her not to do it, if she wants I will come give a testimony." I suggest that you stay away from pharmaceutical drugs all together, especially psychiatric drugs. Don' introduce these things to your children. The majority of pharmaceutical drugs are bandages, they do NOT fix any problems, they only alleviate symptoms that's why you have to continue to have them for an x amount of time if not indefinitely or move on to another drug because of what the previous drug damaged or because the body became tolerant. The root problem must be treated. I agree with pouring rain, you should seek an alternative treatment. ADHD is not really a disease, those of us who have overcome it or in the process of overcoming it, can attest to this.

I was looking for some videos that would be good to watch regarding the subject and I found these two, I'm watching the series right now :) hope it helps! :

- cOsMiC

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
Asalaam aleikum,

ADHD "medications" are speed, they are not medications, they are drugs. The human body increases tolerance for these drugs and dosages will continue to go up. It would set the child up for a huge amount of problems in the future. My teenage brother was on them from the age of 11 until last year (he's 15 now) and he decided to come off them himself because of how they made him feel. His first reaction when he saw me reading this thread was "oh no, tell her not to do it, if she wants I will come give a testimony." I suggest that you stay away from pharmaceutical drugs all together, especially psychiatric drugs. Don' introduce these things to your children. The majority of pharmaceutical drugs are bandages, they do NOT fix any problems, they only alleviate symptoms that's why you have to continue to have them for an x amount of time if not indefinitely or move on to another drug because of what the previous drug damaged or because the body became tolerant. The root problem must be treated. I agree with pouring rain, you should seek an alternative treatment. ADHD is not really a disease, those of us who have overcome it or in the process of overcoming it, can attest to this.

I was looking for some videos that would be good to watch regarding the subject and I found these two, I'm watching the series right now :) hope it helps! :

- cOsMiC
I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I once saw a girl for an assessment who had been given a cocktail of ADHD drugs her entire life, and was at the moment on several meds; she was a walking zombie.

Not all ADHD meds are like speed. There are non-stimulant ones as well. These are not without their own side effects. There are some cases where medication is needed, but if you are going to go that route then please research the meds and talk with your doctor about the different kinds.

If you have difficulty finding information on alternate treatments, let us know.

sofiap
06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
my nephew is ADHD,he was given medication after my sister tried for years to avoid because of their side effects,and didnt enjoy watching him him a daze once he was given them..so after a year or less maybe she weaned him of them..and tried some alternative ways..giving postive reinforcements,even though at times he is out of control,but she prefers to manage with this then to deplete his spirit totally...do look at food,the E numbers, the environment,ways of understanding how they see the world can help the carer to assist them from too much frustration...it is difficult... families need to also come to some service,even if it may be once amonth..somthing to ease on the loved ones,so they can stay strong to carry on as best as they can to support their child,brother,sister,even parents...

PouringRain
06-22-2012, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sofiap
families need to also come to some service,even if it may be once amonth..somthing to ease on the loved ones,so they can stay strong to carry on as best as they can to support their child,brother,sister,even parents...
Good suggestion! A support group can be beneficial in a number of ways.

Ar-RaYYan
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
:sl:

Very Sorry about the late reply. Many thanks for all your advice, suggestions and information. I have taken them onboard and will make a decision inshallah.

Jazzakallah Khair

Zabel
07-24-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't know if this is too late, but because I speak from personal experience, I think this is an important perspective. (loosely where I got something).

I take medication. It helps me function. I know I am not addicted because if I was, I would not have kept forgetting to take it when I changed my dose time. Depending on the severity of the ADHD, drugs may be of value. They should also never replace old fashioned coping skills. Organization, time management skills, watches, etc. are important in learning to manage things as a child grows up. I have heard that high protein, low sugar diets are good, though it may also be worth noting, should a little candy be available before a test, that part of ADD and ADHD people's brains, frontal lobe I believe, absorbs sugar at a 13% slower rate (researcher/writer on teaching special ed kids). Also, part of our brains that acts as a co-processor is less developed than in non-ADD brains (some PBS special a couple years ago) [I wonder if this may have any exercises that could be done to develop this part of the brain]. And of course our neurotransmitters are off (personal research and several professionals), with a low level of I believe dopamine, which is why we are able to tolerate larger quantities of stimulants before we get hyper from it. Eating more natural, less processed foods is healthier not just in general, but also for brains that are ADD or may appear ADD because of reactions to chemicals (somewhere in personal research, news article, early exposure to the feingold(sp) diet). There is even a special ADD diet out there somewhere.

While I am certainly for trying other methods, and encourage you to do so first, I discourage blanketly saying that ADD/ADHD drugs are bad or should always be avoided. I am one of those people who needed drugs to get my symptoms under control to a point where I could learn coping skills to deal better. I could not learn them when my ADD was at its natural level. I was not dazed on the drugs but rather more present, able to focus, and frankly functional on the drug than off of it. The use of drugs depends on the person and their severity, and which drug depends on the individual's exact neurochemistry. The response to something like ADHD is to find a way to cope, and the role of drugs is to bring the ADHD person to a point where he or she can cope if he cannot.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!