/* */

PDA

View Full Version : English translation of the Qur'an

Jody
06-18-2012, 11:44 PM
I really can't be a faithful Muslim if I don't have the Holy Qur'an, right? So, I've come here to ask my fellow brothers and sisters what translation is the best. I can afford a reasonably expensive Qur'an (C$20 is my lowest C$80 is my limit). I am looking for the best possible English translation, or the one recommended by scholars. Although, I'd be fine with having a Qur'an that is half English and half Arabic. It won't bother me if the Arabic is underneath the English, or is split 50/50 (the Qur'an would be twice the size, but I am fine with that). I'd also be fine with the English and Arabic being every other page (one page would be the English, the page beside it, the Arabic text). It's always been my dream to learn Arabic, so having a mixed English and Arabic Qur'an would be fantastic. However, if there isn't any English/Arabic Qur'an's, then a simple English one would suffice. :)

I've also looked at online Qur'an's but it just doesn't feel right without having the holy book in my hands. :(

Thank you in advance. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PouringRain
06-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Since you have looked at on-line ones, I would recommend you purchase whichever translation you enjoy reading the most.

جوري
06-19-2012, 02:40 AM
http://quran.com/

dqsunday
06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
I really enjoy the translation I purchased from amazon.com which does have parallel Arabic text (though its a little small but readible...or it would be if I could understand it. Not at that point yet). I like this translation as its translated into Modern English...not the flowery Thee's and thous which always tended to confuse me. Its done by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem. Reading the forward is helpful as it explains how he went about creating the translation and a few other points. If I recall correctly I paid about $32 CDN for it, so a good price and within your cost range.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
06-19-2012, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
The Sahih (or Saheeh) international version in this link seems to be a very good translation. My wife has it on her Kindle Fire and I really like it. The Gracious Quran is pretty good, but he used some English words that few people know the meaning without looking it up and he used a fair bit of interpretive inserts, but not quite as extensively as the Muhsin Khan, Noble Quran. If I had to choose, it would be the Saheeh International translation of the meaning of the Quran.

~ Sabr ~
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Would you like me to post you one ?

Hulk
06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Get this one it is my personal favourite and in my opinion provides plenty of information.
http://ibnayyub.wordpress.com/2007/0...mani-complete/

Abz2000
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I've got a few different translations, but I always come back to marmaduke picktall or yusuf Ali ,
Picktall is more accurate, but yusuf Ali has more of a flow,
Bear in mind that there are old English versions and new. English versions,

YusufNoor
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
:sl:

get this one, without the Arabic, hardback. $10, though i'm not sure what they will charge for shipping to Canada.

http://al-quraan.org/

get a Pickthall translation, paperback, maybe $10. many would recommend a Yusuf Ali. i prefer this:

http://www.amazon.com/Arabic-English...ds=muhsin+khan

google it and you might get one in the teens. at first, read the others and use this for reference. once you understand some Arabic terms it becomes easier to read. none of the English ones are really "a holy book", they are someone's understanding and attempt to explain the Qur'an. the Arabic is the holy part. more than a few translations are better as it increases understanding.

use the online ones for Arabic. once you've decided you want to learn Arabic in depth, THEN go find an Arabic only copy that you feel is Awesome looking and feeling. maybe one with large print. think of it as a Treasure and stick with that one for reading and learning how to recite. if you've already completed a few translations, you should find it easier to "splurge" when you pick out your final version.

and Allah knows best.

:wa:

demmaster
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure if you were able to get a Quran, brother Jody, but you can get free English Translations of the Quran online. I actually have two copies. I meant to only get one, but I have two copies hehe. Two different translations but the translations are exactly the same. I've read them like they were going out of style, though the Quran NEVER will :D Just Google Free Quran English Translation and I'm sure you will find them. I wish I could remember the names of the sites I went to, but it was a while back. I also advise you to purchase the Arabic Quran one day. I still have to purchase one.

Peace and Blessings!

-Dwayne

ardianto
07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
This is my source when I post Qur'an ayaah in forum.

ash92:)
07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
If reading the arabic, south african Qurans are easier for those of us who are unfamiliar to arabic. But I would recommend that you also listen to tafseer (commentary) after getting the jist of a Surah from translation. I recommend listening to talks by Nouman Ali Khan (some of which are also available as podcasts).

Hope I helped. May Allah ta'ala guide you, ameen :)

Jody
07-28-2012, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by demmaster
I'm not sure if you were able to get a Quran, brother Jody, but you can get free English Translations of the Quran online. I actually have two copies. I meant to only get one, but I have two copies hehe. Two different translations but the translations are exactly the same. I've read them like they were going out of style, though the Quran NEVER will :D Just Google Free Quran English Translation and I'm sure you will find them. I wish I could remember the names of the sites I went to, but it was a while back. I also advise you to purchase the Arabic Quran one day. I still have to purchase one.

Peace and Blessings!

-Dwayne
Sadly I still haven't got the Qur'an (ask for one on my Birthday, but never got it), but I am still searching. I know the translation I want (either Yusuf Ali or Marmaduke Picktall), but I would like a Qur'an that has a beautiful front cover (with both Arabic and English on the front cover), and a hardcover. And have it either Green, blue or gold, and all those are hard to find. But any colour will do, those are just preferences.

Marina-Aisha
07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
you should get tajweed quran with meaning and translation it has hw u say it has arabic texts also english translation i bought mine and it was only £12.99(it was pocket size one so i could just put in my handbag) so maybe u should go to islamic shops they might have it..i went to whitechapel to get mine but depeands where u live.

here is website i found i dunno ship where ur at but i think if u google alittle more u might find it http://www.simplyislam.com/pocket-si...an-59675.html#

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!