/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What should i do in this situation?

dysphoricrocker
06-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Salaam my dear brothers and sisters in Islam.

I have a question and i need clarification. Do help if you can insyaAllah

Yesterday, me and my friend were driving, heading for dinner. Along the way, a cat suddenly ran infront of the car, and there was literally no time to react and unfortunately, my friend ran over the cat. We stopped around 20m ahead and walked back to the scene and we found the cat lying motionless with blood around its head. My friend carried its bloodied body and suddenly the cat jolted and my friend, out of shock let it go. It landed on the grass patch by the side of the road. The cat was still moving, but it was apparent it was dying as we had ran over its head. I shall not go into details but it was horrifying. We did not know what to do, as it struggled, but after 2-3 minutes it stopped and it died.

We took its body to a nearby patch of land. Wanted to bury it but we have no tools to do so except a small plastic dustpan. So we placed it there and covered it with some soil we foundnearby so it was fully covered.

What should be the right course of action in this case? Did we do the right thing to watch it die?(there was no vet nearby and we were in a state of shock). Could you also post reference on the right course of action.

Thank you all in advance and sorry for the long post as i felt i had to make it detailed. I feel terrible already ):

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dqsunday
06-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Wa Alaykum Asalalm Brother.

Terrible to hear you weren't able to avoid hitting the cat. Allah bless you and your friend for actually stopping to try and help. Most people wouldn't even have bothered. Given how quickly the cat died, even if you were right in front of an emergency vet hospital..unlikely the cat would have survived. There was also not much you could have done to alleviate its suffering and from your description it died fairly quick. Maybe some soft soothing sounds to comfort the cat would be the only thing you could have done.

Burying it was a kind gesture, it certainly would prevent it being scavenged or rotting unpleasantly for passerbys to see/smell. The only thing I can see, is if its somebody's pet they may never know what happened. If its a stray, then it was the best thing to do. Did you notice any collar? If no collar and you aren't certain its a stray, you could ask around the area and see if anybody recognizes the description of the cat (unless you took a picture). This way if you find the owner, you can offer apologies, perhaps offer to get them a cat from the local shelter to replace it.

Snowflake
06-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wb,

masha Allah, you and your friend did the best you could in those circumstances. By the mercy of Allah the jolts you mentioned were caused by involuntary muscles spasms and not from the cat suffering from being in pain. Insha Allah, there's no blame on either of you but repenting is a great way to bring peace to the heart.

CosmicPathos
06-19-2012, 04:50 AM
wow, you did that much for a cat?

I overran a skunk on highway at night and I did not stop but I am sure I crushed its head. After reading about your superior deed, I am feeling terrible :S.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
06-19-2012, 05:10 AM
^I must say brother Cosmic, masha Allah your eyesight is better than mine to have made out a skunk in the dark. One night on our hols in Pakistan we were being driven in a hired car and though we were all talking I had my eyes firmly on the road in front. I saw something in the middle of the road and all of a sudden the driver swerved violently to avoid hitting it. Our car hit the dirt bank so hard I thought it was gonna flip. When we got our senses back. I was like "What was THAT?" The driver said, "It was SOME THING." (Koi cheez thi) I said, "SOME THING? (Koi Cheez) You mean a ghost?" :ooh: He was like, ";D No I meant some thing as in an animal - a porcupine."

dysphoricrocker
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Thank you all for the input. Appreciate it much.

I did not feel terrible because our car hit it, because it was the decree of Allah that it happened. I just feel terrible i had to watch it move and slowly die without me doing anything but watch. As sis Snowflake said, it could be the involuntary muscles spasms, i hope it was.

May Allah bless all of us.

yasirslm
06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
This is the cricle of life and doesn't mean we must feel terrible ...Do we feel terrible when babies are born ??????

~ Sabr ~
06-19-2012, 07:40 AM
:salamext:

Once, on the way to work, I ran over a squirrel - I was going 40 miles and hour and it just ran out in front of me. I stepped on the brakes but it was 2 late. It died there and then.

I went to work and don't know what happened to it after that.
I couldn't go back to it as I throw up at the sight of too much blood.
And there WAS too much blood.

imsad

yasirslm
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
:salamext:

Once, on the way to work, I ran over a squirrel - I was going 40 miles and hour and it just ran out in front of me. I stepped on the brakes but it was 2 late. It died there and then.

I went to work and don't know what happened to it after that.
I couldn't go back to it as I throw up at the sight of too much blood.
And there WAS too much blood.

imsad
So sad:cry:

Snowflake
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Insha Allah the squirrel didn't even know it died sis Hafizaah. Meaning it was a quick and painless death insha Allah.

I once saw a car in front of me hit a cat. The driver didn't realize and carried on driving. There was blood spurting out of the cats head and it seemed unconcious. I asked at houses nearby if they know whose cat it was but no one did. So I asked for a box and took it home to bury. I couldn't dig a hole to bury it as the ground was too hard, so I asked a few teenage boys playing outside to help me bury it in the park. We took a spade and the kids dug a hole. I had wrapped the cat in a fluffy towel and we buried it under a leafy tree. The kids were really sad and wrote RIP from twigs for the headstone.

Imaduddin
06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
Insha Allah the squirrel didn't even know it died sis Hafizaah. Meaning it was a quick and painless death insha Allah.
I am not good with Arabic but, "Inna leel mouti le sakarat - There is agony in death." The very words of the Prophet himself salallahu alayhi wa salam while on his death bed. :cry:

May Allah be pleased with his Prophet, indeed he fulfilled his mission and delivered Islam to us.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
wow, you did that much for a cat?

I overran a skunk on highway at night and I did not stop but I am sure I crushed its head. After reading about your superior deed, I am feeling terrible :S.
Best thing to do with a skunk! lol ;D

CosmicPathos
06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
^I must say brother Cosmic, masha Allah your eyesight is better than mine to have made out a skunk in the dark. One night on our hols in Pakistan we were being driven in a hired car and though we were all talking I had my eyes firmly on the road in front. I saw something in the middle of the road and all of a sudden the driver swerved violently to avoid hitting it. Our car hit the dirt bank so hard I thought it was gonna flip. When we got our senses back. I was like "What was THAT?" The driver said, "It was SOME THING." (Koi cheez thi) I said, "SOME THING? (Koi Cheez) You mean a ghost?" :ooh: He was like, ";D No I meant some thing as in an animal - a porcupine."
allhamdulillah for the eye sight.

i hope everyone was safe sis, roads in pak at night (motorways) could be dangerous. My friend actually hit a human being on the highway who died on spot. :( The poor farmer was running to cross the highway.

tango92
06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
ive seen squirrels literally squished flat on the road - almost cartoon like

once i saw an aston martin hit a fox as i was coming back from uni. every so often the fox made violent running motions although it was lying on the road almost dead

so yh, just thought i'd give u all something to have nightmares about...

dysphoricrocker
06-20-2012, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
every so often the fox made violent running motions although it was lying on the road almost dead
That must be heartwrenching to see.

jameelash
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
salam,i never felt it is wrong to leave the dying animal aside and move on.after all it was an accident and not purpose.Allahu ahlam.

Hulk
06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I think you did a proper thing by placing the cat aside and also burying it. While I don't exactly know what the ruling is to exactly killing an animal, you did a good deed by placing the cat aside as it could have inconvenienced other drivers. Also it was a sign of respect for a creation of Allah. Even though it was an accident, it's still not nice to leave it there knowing that there will be other vehicles running over its body.

There are however instances where a cat might survive being hit by a car.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!