/* */

PDA

View Full Version : R ur jeans below ur waist? - READ -

~ Sabr ~
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM

According to Greg Mathis, sagging was adopted from the United States prison system where belts are prohibited.[3] Belts are sometimes prohibited to keep prisoners from using them as weapons or in committing suicide by hanging themselves.[4][5] The style was later popularized by hip-hop artists in the 1990s.[4] It has since become a symbol of freedom and cultural awareness among many youths[6] or a symbol of their rejection of the values of mainstream society.[7]
Mathis also states that sagging has sexual connotations in prison ("Those who pulled their pants down the lowest and showed their behind a little more raw, that was an invitation"). [8] According to Snopes.com, however, this is merely an urban legend.[5]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagging_(fashion)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KnockKnock
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Ewww!!!!!!!!!!

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
UGH! I wish i had not read this...+o(

Imaduddin
06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I've read this before. It's sick. I can't imagine doing it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sofiap
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
lol...my nephew used to wear his pants down, his mother tried everything to tell it was morally wrong and holds no modesty but to no avail until his other auntie explained the facts to him about what it meant..and that was his last time of wearing it in that style;D...masha Allaah..modesty is the key to any style...

Pure Purple
06-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Ewww.....
sister you should not post such things here,members here have sense of decency.

Imaduddin
06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sofiap
lol...my nephew used to wear his pants down, his mother tried everything to tell it was morally wrong and holds no modesty but to no avail until his other auntie explained the facts to him about what it meant..and that was his last time of wearing it in that style;D...masha Allaah..modesty is the key to any style...
In a lecture a few nights ago, the brother mentioned a hadith which said:

Every religion/faith has a characteristic, the characteristic of Islam is modesty.

Jedi_Mindset
06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
Ewww.....
Why she shouldn't post this? Truth is never fine, its obligated for muslims to wake each other up.

~ Sabr ~
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
Ewww.....
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
Why she shouldn't post this? Truth is never fine, its obligated for muslims to wake each other up.
......:thumbs_up

BadOlPuttyTat
06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I live in a neighborhood were kids do this all the time and it is totally sickening. The trend started in prison to let gay prisoners know "your available". Kids do this thinking they look "gangsta" without knowing they are just asking for anal rape in prisons :omg: .
Trends like this are totally stupid and Ill stick to wearing my usual combat boots and M81 camo fatigues. Really scares people and lets them know to back off me ;D

ardianto
06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
In Indonesia, men who wear jeans below the waist like that are only youth from low social class, and low educated too.

TrueStranger
06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
The only thing worse than those jeans are skin-jeans or those tight jeans you see some Muslim men wear.

~ Sabr ~
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
^ Agreed. That scared me the first time I saw it.

Cabdullahi
06-19-2012, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
The only thing worse than those jeans are skin-jeans or those tight jeans you see some Muslim men wear.
Those guys are wearing it because some 'muslim girls' think its stylish and cute...and to impress those girls they wear tight jeans that make you walk in a way as if you are constipated.

CosmicPathos
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
who cares where the trend was born?

May I say the trend of beautifying was born by prostitutes (guessing but who knows!)? But most women do it nowadays, eye lashes, mascara etc.

I dont see anything wrong with pants hanging low as long as the person is wearing boxers and their satr is hidden. Different strokes for different blokes, learn to accept diversity.

TrueStranger
06-19-2012, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cbdullahii
Those guys are wearing it because some 'muslim girls' think its stylish and cute...and to impress those girls they wear tight jeans that make you walk in a way as if you are constipated.
And I suppose girls wear mini-skirts because some "Muslim guys" think its stylish and cute. :mmokay:

dqsunday
06-20-2012, 01:03 AM
I always thought it was a trend due to the fact most rapsters, hip hop artists originally came from the youth of poor black (African American) communities of the US. Families couldn't afford to buy the kids new clothing all the time so the younger wore the big brother's hand me downs...and often they were simply too big for them. Thus they hang down off their hips. Couldn't afford belts either and rope wasn't always available. When these kids who amused themselves with your typical rap music etc...became famous, they kept their style and eventually it became the 'IN' thing for youngsters to immunate. Then companies realiszed they can make badly made clothing of extra large sizes, tear holes in them and slap a fancy label and charge a rediculous amount and people would buy them so their kids look like the 'cool rapsters' they idolize. If they just spent a moment and realized that looking like some poor dirty kid wearing old worn out hand me downs made them look rediculous.

The poor kids should sell their jeans to these idiots and earn money to buy nice clothing. Let the wealthy wear their dirty, worn hand me downs and give them the nice clothing the well off kids don't want to wear as they want to look like their favorite rapster.

dysphoricrocker
06-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Oh dear..

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos

May I say the trend of beautifying was born by prostitutes (guessing but who knows!)? But most women do it nowadays, eye lashes, mascara etc.

I dont see anything wrong with pants hanging low as long as the person is wearing boxers and their satr is hidden. Different strokes for different blokes, learn to accept diversity.
Disagree. No girl thinks it's nice, have some shame InshaAllaah.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
why should these men care whether girls think its nice or not. I do not see what shamelessness has to do with a certain way of dressing (when satr is not showing).

Really an invalid comment. It's better to stay silent than to say something really really weird.

its my responsibility to correct when someone with holier-than-thou attitude comes and starts labelling everything they personally dislike as haraam in Islam!

TrueStranger
06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
The sad part is they are imitating the non-believers that are criminals.:omg:

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 04:36 AM
women are imitating the unbelievers by putting earrings. We can write a whole essay on it.

Mods, what's the point of this thread? I know many practicing Muslim brothers who dress that way, and this thread is an insult to such individuals by suggesting they are criminals, gays and what not.

Cabdullahi
06-20-2012, 04:50 AM
And I suppose girls wear mini-skirts because some muslim guys think its stylish and cute. :mmokay:
Exactamundo!

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Allah has given free will to humans so that they can choose right or wrong path...
What If all Muslims wear no clothes and stay naked ...can we name it as Diversity?????

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I know many practicing Muslim brothers who dress that way
How are they practising if they dress that way?

Practising means following the example of RasoolAllaah :saws:, and he :saws: didn't do that.

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Practising means following the example of RasoolAllaah , and he didn't do that.
Agreed:statisfie

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

How are they practising if they dress that way?

Practising means following the example of RasoolAllaah :saws:, and he :saws: didn't do that.
Come on, Prophet Sallalahu alayhi wasallam did not wear jeans or trousers and t-shirts, does that mean people who are wearing jeans, trousers and t-shirts are not practising Muslims?

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
:salamext:

^ Brother you get my point. Modesty is a MUST in Islaam.

No male/female wants to see the colour of your boxers. Keep that to yourself please.

Edit: It's also a part of men's awrah - from navel to knees, which they have to cover.
You wouldn't like a female to dress like that, immodestly, so why men?

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
^ I agree. But why did you have to question the people's faith and practising of the deen who wear their pants below their waist.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
But why did you have to question the people's faith and practising of the deen who wear their pants below their waist.
Naoo'dhu billaah, I'm not questioning it.

I'm just saying that modesty is a PART of Islaam. So if you are Muslim [for you to be a Muslim, you have to be practising] you should adopt ALL of Islaam and not take parts of it that you like and leave parts of it that you don't like.

Edit: And also just to add - this dunya is very VERY short, we should not have time for fashion - what was the fashion of the Sahaabahs? Rips in their clothing because they were too concerned with the Aakhirah!!!

And us????

SubhaanAllaah.....

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Come on, Prophet Sallalahu alayhi wasallam did not wear jeans or trousers and t-shirts, does that mean people who are wearing jeans, trousers and t-shirts are not practising Muslims?
Question here is not about wearing jeans or trousers and t-shirts.Muslims are free in selecting and choosing what they want to dress or to wear. However, per Islam religion, the cloth should meet particular basic requirements to:

· ensure Muslim modesty in her/his dressing,
· avoid sexy excitation or any sexy feelings when looking to the opposite gender.
· match the approved community clothing practices that do not contradict religion obligations

Imaduddin
06-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Assalamu alaykum everyone.

I see a little disagreement, so I'd like to mention some points insha Allah.

One is allowed to dress what ever they wish so long as it complies with the Islamic standards. This means, one does not have to dress exactly like the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salam so long as what one is wearing covers one's awrah. Islam allows flexibility.

Boxers are underwear, it is not permissible to go in public while your underwear is showing, it's just inappropriate. If there was nothing wrong with ones underwear showing, then by all means take the pants/trousers off.

In Islam one reason why gold is not permissible for men is because it is a woman thing. It is generally women who wear gold so a man must not due to men having to be distinguished from women and vice versa. Now underwear, as the name implies is for wearing underneath your clothes, that's where they belong.

It is not permissible to judge a person and their religiousness due to this "fashion" of clothing or due to a sin. Everyone sins, Allah would have destroyed us if we seized to sin, He has allowed us to sin and he accepts the repentance of those who repent. Someone else might commit a sin which you personally might not, that doesn't make them any less of a Muslim than you because you too might commit a sin which another person may not.

I hope no one takes offence from what I've said, I just wanted to remind everyone.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imaduddin
it is not permissible to go in public while your underwear is showing, it's just inappropriate.
I choked on my drink whilst reading this.

Insaanah
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
:sl:

May I say the trend of beautifying was born by prostitutes (guessing but who knows!)?
"...Allah is Beautiful, He loves beauty..." (Part of a longer hadeeth in Sahih Muslim, Arabic/English book reference: Book 1, Hadith 612)

Ibn Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him and with his father), the cousin of the prophet :saws: said: "I like to beautify myself for my wife as I like my wife to beautify herself for me..."

(Part of a longer narration in Musannaf ibn Abi Shaybah)

women are imitating the unbelievers by putting earrings. We can write a whole essay on it.
With regard to piercing the ears of females, there is a difference of scholarly opinion on the ruling. The Hanafis and Hanbalis are of the view that this is permissible. The Shaafa’is are of the view that it is not allowed, and Ibn al-Jawzi and Ibn ‘Aqeel, who were Hanbalis, agreed with them. They did not quote any texts as evidence that it is not allowed, rather they said that it causes pain, and that wearing adornment in the ear is not essential, and is not so important as to allow causing pain to the female for this purpose.

The one who studies the texts of the Prophet’s Sunnah and the lives of the female Sahabaah (may Allaah be pleased with them) will see that the more correct view is the former, which is that it is permissible. The texts which indicate that include the following:

1 – It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out and prayed, then he delivered a khutbah – and he did not mention any adhaan or iqaamah – then he went to the women and exhorted and reminded them, and told them to give charity, and I saw them taking off their earrings and necklaces and giving them to Bilaal, then he and Bilaal went back to his house.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4951) and Muslim (884).

According to another report narrated by them both:

They started throwing their earrings and necklaces.

2 – It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: Eleven women sat and promised one another that they would not conceal anything about their husbands … the eleventh one said: My husband is Abu Zar’ and what (can I say about) Abu Zar’? He has given me many ornaments and my ears are heavily loaded with them. … ‘Aa’ishah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: I am to you as Abu Zar’ was to Umm Zar’.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4893) and Muslim (2448).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of what Abu Zar’ did by filling the ears of Umm Zar’ with jewellery until they became heavy.

With regard to piercing the ears at the top, it seems that it makes no difference whether they are pierced at the bottom or at the top, depending on whether this is customary in a woman’s environment. We should note that it is not permissible for a woman to show the jewellery that she is wearing on her hand, ear or neck.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about piercing a girls’ nose or ear for the sake of beautification.

He replied:

The correct view is that there is nothing wrong with piercing the ear, because one of the aims that is achieved by that is wearing permissible jewellery. It is known that the women of the Sahaabah had earrings that they wore in their ears. The pain is light, and if the piercing is done when the girl is small, it heals quickly.
Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said:

There is nothing wrong with piercing the ears of a girl in order to put jewellery in her ears. This is still done by many people, and even at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) women used to wear jewellery in their ears and elsewhere without being rebuked for it.
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/78255/earrings

And Allah knows best in all matters.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

^ Brother you get my point. Modesty is a MUST in Islaam.

No male/female wants to see the colour of your boxers. Keep that to yourself please.

Edit: It's also a part of men's awrah - from navel to knees, which they have to cover.
You wouldn't like a female to dress like that, immodestly, so why men?
there is nothing immodest about pants hanging low. If anything, immodesty is in shaping eye brows, putting make up on and dressing up like a doll.

they cover the awrah with boxers. I do not knwo any man who shows his butt crack with pants hanging low. What are you talking about?

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Lol brother, please don't argue unnecessarily.

If a women went out with her hair open and a low neckline, you would be offended.

It's the same thing with this. Get over it.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

"...Allah is Beautiful, He loves beauty..." (Part of a longer hadeeth in Sahih Muslim, Arabic/English book reference: Book 1, Hadith 612)

Ibn Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him and with his father), the cousin of the prophet :saws: said: "I like to beautify myself for my wife as I like my wife to beautify herself for me..."

(Part of a longer narration in Musannaf ibn Abi Shaybah)

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/78255/earrings

And Allah knows best in all matters.
jazakAllah.

In the same way, there is nothing wrong with pants hanging low, as long as satr is covered with a piece of clothe.

w salam.

the argument of "imitating the kaafirs" cannot apply ... cuz if we it did, then we are all imitating kaafirs by using internet, by all our cultural things, by speaking language of kufaars ... and we can keep on talking about it.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Lol brother, please don't argue unnecessarily.

If a women went out with her hair open and a low neckline, you would be offended.

It's the same thing with this. Get over it.
I wont be offended, i dont care about her grave, she has to deal with what awaits her. She is just disobeying Allah.

For pants hanging low, no where did Allah say that pants should be above certain level. He told men's awrah is navel to knee. That is well covered.

I am not arguing unnecessarily. But i feel the need to stand against killing of diversity in the name of Islam.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
....On your own head be it brother. For sure, those men with pants hanging low will also go into their own graves.

May Allaah give us all the modesty required for us in our deen, Ameen.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasirslm
What If all Muslims wear no clothes and stay naked ...can we name it as Diversity?????
bro, dont you see difference n having pants hanging low along with boxers AND walking around naked? Do you know the difference between the two?

Muezzin
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
If there's nothing wrong with a Muslim male pulling his trousers down to expose his boxer-clad backside, does that mean there's also nothing wrong with a Muslim female doing the same?

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
bro, dont you see difference n having pants hanging low along with boxers AND walking around naked? Do you know the difference between the two?
If a woman wore a skirt with a belt, hanging below her waist, showing her underwear, would you like that?

It's a serious question.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 06:57 PM

If a woman wore a skirt with a belt, hanging below her waist, showing her underwear, would you like that?

It's a serious question.
Is her awrah covered? If yes, then I dont see problem with it. Plus, its her life, her grave, why would it affect me, even if shes walking around naked? I just wouldnt look at her and mind my own business.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Is her awrah covered? If yes, then I dont see problem with it. Plus, its her life, her grave, why would it affect me?
No offence brother, but that is DISGUSTING.

That would be UNISLAMIC, IMMODEST and absolutely DISGUSTING.

Oh my Allaah. :ermm:

Muezzin
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Enjoin the good, forbid the evil. Nobody's perfect, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but we should still try to do what is right and guide each other with sincerity rather than sanctimony.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Enjoin the good, forbid the evil. Nobody's perfect, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but we should still try to do what is right and guide each other with sincerity rather than sanctimony.
Apparently some people don't believe this brother, I think I'm going to be +o(

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM

No offence brother, but that is DISGUSTING.

That would be UNISLAMIC, UNMODEST and absolutely DISGUSTING.

Oh my Allaah. :ermm:
That is up to Allah to decide sis how disgusting it is (maybe she has a psychosis breakdown and running on the street in madness? What do I know!). Yes, it goes against my beliefs, but why should I enforce my beliefs on her?

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
(maybe she has a psychosis breakdown and running on the street in madness? What do I know!).
So brothers that do this have the same thing? That's what you are saying? That they have a psychosis breakdown is why they dress like this?

Why should it be any different for brothers/sisters?

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM

So brothers that do this have the same thing? That's what you are saying? That they have a psychosis breakdown is why they dress like this?

Why should it be any different for brothers/sisters?
are the brothers walking around naked? If yes, that is as appalling.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM
are the brothers walking around naked?
Please re-read back on your posts brother. You are contradicting yourself and going around in circles.

You said that if brothers do this, as long as they are covered, it's fine. If sisters do this they are crazy.

Why should it be any different for sisters? Please answer this.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Please re-read back on your posts brother. You are contradicting yourself and going around in circles.

You said that if brothers do this, as long as they are covered, it's fine. If sisters do this they are crazy.

Why should it be any different for sisters? Please answer this.
no i was referring to sisters being naked. if they are covered, fine. i dont care, their style!

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
no i was referring to sisters being naked. if they are covered, fine. i dont care, their style!
SubhaanAllaah, I don't have anything else to say to you brother.

May Allaah protect us from such harmful fashion, Ameen.

Muezzin
06-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Put it this way. Deliberately exposing your underwear in public isn't exactly dignified. There are also other fashion trends which are equally undignified, but this thread is about low-slung jeans specifically.

Muhammad
06-20-2012, 07:35 PM

the argument of "imitating the kaafirs" cannot apply ... cuz if we it did, then we are all imitating kaafirs by using internet, by all our cultural things, by speaking language of kufaars ... and we can keep on talking about it.
The imitation that is blameworthy is imitating the kuffaar in something that is unique to them. Moreover, it is known among people that this way of dressing is not a modest way to dress and is often linked with immorality - if we don't want to accept the origins mentioned in the first post, refer to brother ardianto's post earlier. Not only this, but during the first decade of the 21st century, many local governments, school systems, transit agencies, and even airlines passed laws and regulations against the practice of wearing sagging pants, and federal and state have banned the practice [read more here]. It does not take much convincing to understand that exposing one's underwear in public is not an appropriate thing to do. Just because it has become an item of fashion does not mean it is justified, in the same way that there are many other aspects of fashion that are not appropriate for Muslims.

We should be clear on this, not because we are making judgements on other people's afterlives, rather because, as brother Muezzin said, we want to enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and evil should first be acknowledged for what it is, so we can discourage our brothers from being caught up in it.

From a khutbah by Shaykh Saud Ash-Shuraim:
...Furthermore, when a person puts on the clothes usually worn by scholars, he may feel himself as somehow closer to them, because similarity and imitation in outward appearance leads to resemblance in inward characteristics such as personal characteristics and morals, as is witnessed in reality and is confirmed by Islaamic jurisprudence and common sense. In the old times, it was said: ‘Birds of a feather flock together’; this is a realistic proverb which conforms to the manner in which Allaah has formed His creation. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam spoke the truth when he said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." (Ahmad & Abu Dawood)

Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: “We have seen that the degree of polytheism is less in those Jews and Christians who reside with Muslims, and that the degree of faith in the Muslims who have dealt extensively with the Jews and Christians is lesser than that of the pious Muslims.”

O servants of Allaah! Imitating polytheists and atheists in their clothing, customs, rules, politics and economics has become widespread among many Muslims to a very large extent, so much so that the one who blindly imitates and tries to Westernize might even be respected by the foolish masses and the youth, including the rich, intellectuals and even the poor, who are attracted to such a person. Woe to imitation and subordination! What weighty and oppressive constraints they have! What a dark path theirs is! What a great loss for whoever follows them!

Yes, woe to imitating and following the West! It has trapped some Muslim generations in the dark, narrow prisons of subordination and dependence, and prevented them from thinking, meditating and heading for glory. It has blocked the means to the real happiness of their souls.

Woe to imitation and dependence! They are obstacles for the intellects and prevent everything that may revive them.

The Muslim Nation should lead, not be led; others should depend on us and not the reverse. Our Nation should not be deceived by the artificial adornments possessed by some devastated people, as Allaah says that which means: "And do not extend your eyes toward that by which We have given enjoyment to [some] categories of them, [its being but] the splendor of worldly life by which We test them. And the provision of your Lord is better and more lasting." (Taa-Haa: 131).

The Western civilization is like a mirage, which, when seen from a distance is like a large sea, but it is as Allaah says which means: "But the disbelievers – their deeds are like a mirage in a lowland which a thirsty one thinks is water until, when he comes to it, he finds it is nothing but finds Allaah before him, and He will pay him in full his due; and Allaah is swift in account." (An-Noor: 39).
http://www.alminbar.com/khutbaheng/184.htm
Please also see: Guidelines concerning imitation of the kuffaar

Wassalaamu Alaykum.

Snowflake
06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
While underpants are a garment that does cover the sattar, the reason for exposing them is an immoral one. No decent person wishes his undergarment which are to cover the prviate parts to be showing. It is only done to draw attention to the private parts i.e. sexuality. Thus any garment, that advertises sexuality and acceptance of such behaviors becomes indecent and therefore haram.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

The imitation that is blameworthy is imitating the kuffaar in something that is unique to them. Moreover, it is known among people that this way of dressing is not a modest way to dress and is often linked with immorality - if we don't want to accept the origins mentioned in the first post, refer to brother ardianto's post earlier. Not only this, but during the first decade of the 21st century, many local governments, school systems, transit agencies, and even airlines passed laws and regulations against the practice of wearing sagging pants, and federal and state have banned the practice [read more here]. It does not take much convincing to understand that exposing one's underwear in public is not an appropriate thing to do. Just because it has become an item of fashion does not mean it is justified, in the same way that there are many other aspects of fashion that are not appropriate for Muslims.

We should be clear on this, not because we are making judgements on other people's afterlives, rather because, as brother Muezzin said, we want to enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and evil should first be acknowledged for what it is, so we can discourage our brothers from being caught up in it.

From a khutbah by Shaykh Saud Ash-Shuraim:
...Furthermore, when a person puts on the clothes usually worn by scholars, he may feel himself as somehow closer to them, because similarity and imitation in outward appearance leads to resemblance in inward characteristics such as personal characteristics and morals, as is witnessed in reality and is confirmed by Islaamic jurisprudence and common sense. In the old times, it was said: ‘Birds of a feather flock together’; this is a realistic proverb which conforms to the manner in which Allaah has formed His creation. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam spoke the truth when he said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." (Ahmad & Abu Dawood)

Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: “We have seen that the degree of polytheism is less in those Jews and Christians who reside with Muslims, and that the degree of faith in the Muslims who have dealt extensively with the Jews and Christians is lesser than that of the pious Muslims.”

O servants of Allaah! Imitating polytheists and atheists in their clothing, customs, rules, politics and economics has become widespread among many Muslims to a very large extent, so much so that the one who blindly imitates and tries to Westernize might even be respected by the foolish masses and the youth, including the rich, intellectuals and even the poor, who are attracted to such a person. Woe to imitation and subordination! What weighty and oppressive constraints they have! What a dark path theirs is! What a great loss for whoever follows them!

Yes, woe to imitating and following the West! It has trapped some Muslim generations in the dark, narrow prisons of subordination and dependence, and prevented them from thinking, meditating and heading for glory. It has blocked the means to the real happiness of their souls.

Woe to imitation and dependence! They are obstacles for the intellects and prevent everything that may revive them.

The Muslim Nation should lead, not be led; others should depend on us and not the reverse. Our Nation should not be deceived by the artificial adornments possessed by some devastated people, as Allaah says that which means: "And do not extend your eyes toward that by which We have given enjoyment to [some] categories of them, [its being but] the splendor of worldly life by which We test them. And the provision of your Lord is better and more lasting." (Taa-Haa: 131).

The Western civilization is like a mirage, which, when seen from a distance is like a large sea, but it is as Allaah says which means: "But the disbelievers – their deeds are like a mirage in a lowland which a thirsty one thinks is water until, when he comes to it, he finds it is nothing but finds Allaah before him, and He will pay him in full his due; and Allaah is swift in account." (An-Noor: 39).
http://www.alminbar.com/khutbaheng/184.htm
Please also see: Guidelines concerning imitation of the kuffaar

Wassalaamu Alaykum.
bro jeans were once unique to kaafirs, now they are a common way of dressing. Things which are once unique, become common occurrences if adopted by cultural spread and globalization.

KnockKnock
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
We should all pull up our pants and get along

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
While underpants are a garment that does cover the sattar, the reason for exposing them is an immoral one. No decent person wishes his undergarment which are to cover the prviate parts to be showing. It is only done to draw attention to the private parts i.e. sexuality. Thus any garment, that advertises sexuality and acceptance of such behaviors becomes indecent and therefore haram.
sis, those are not really underpants. one can take pants off and walk around with "boxers." They still cover the satr. So the question of being an "undergarment" really depends on if something is worn on top of it.

BadOlPuttyTat
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
We should all pull up our pants and get along
Amen brother I heard that :statisfie

GuestFellow
06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Ah I didn't expect disagreements to arise from this topic...I guess I'm wrong. :/

I suppose you can keep your jeans below your waist as long as the shape of your...hoo haa is not revealed (Like wearing a big long trench coat). Sorry, I didn't know how to put it. Though I know many guys that wear their jeans below their waist and it's really embarrassing since they expose everything...full moon in the afternoon.

The basic rule is to cover yourself and not expose your body. Do not wear clothes that reveal your shape nor are see through...applies to both Muslim men and women.

BadOlPuttyTat
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
sis, those are not really underpants. one can take pants off and walk around with "boxers." They still cover the satr. So the question of being an "undergarment" really depends on if something is worn on top of it.
They are called undergarments so I will treat them as such. Any person who sags their pants according to my standards is deemed inferior. Yes i used the word "inferior". Because that person obviously lacks intelligence to know you cant run nor walk like that nor does it look cool to but .1% of world population.

GuestFellow
06-20-2012, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FreakOffALeash

They are called undergarments so I will treat them as such. Any person who sags their pants according to my standards is deemed inferior. Yes i used the word "inferior". Because that person obviously lacks intelligence to know you cant run nor walk like that nor does it look cool to but .1% of world population.
So you feel superior when someone wears clothes in a certain way that you don't like? :/

Muhammad
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
bro jeans were once unique to kaafirs, now they are a common way of dressing. Things which are once unique, become common occurrences if adopted by cultural spread and globalization.
It's true that jeans have become common, but at least they are not revealing, at least when a person chooses an appropriate size and fitting, or wears a long shirt etc. But akhee, if we acknowledge that something is from the kuffaar or has immoral origins and connotations, why would we be content with it spreading and becoming acceptable amongst Muslims? Should we not take pride in our own styles of dress, the kind which flow loosely over the awrah? The kind with which we beautify ourselves for when standing before Allaah (swt)?

BadOlPuttyTat
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
So you feel superior when someone wears clothes in a certain way that you don't like? :/
I never said superior. I just feel normal and people who expose their underwear are below normal.
Like when I use to go to school. Kids thought i was super smart and better then everyone else but I wasnt. I just read my books and finished my text instead of talking all day doing nothing.

Us "non-saggers" are normal and the "saggers" are below normal and the "suspender wearing people" are above normal :p

GuestFellow
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FreakOffALeash

I never said superior. I just feel normal and people who expose their underwear are below normal.
Like when I use to go to school. Kids thought i was super smart and better then everyone else but I wasnt. I just read my books and finished my text instead of talking all day doing nothing.

Us "non-saggers" are normal and the "saggers" are below normal and the "suspender wearing people" are above normal :p
Fair enough.

Banu_Hashim
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Apart from wikipedia, is there any other source confirming this?

Banu_Hashim
06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
It's true that jeans have become common, but at least they are not revealing, at least when a person chooses an appropriate size and fitting, or wears a long shirt etc. But akhee, if we acknowledge that something is from the kuffaar or has immoral origins and connotations, why would we be content with it spreading and becoming acceptable amongst Muslims? Should we not take pride in our own styles of dress, the kind which flow loosely over the awrah? The kind with which we beautify ourselves for when standing before Allaah (swt)?
We should take pride in our appearance definitely. I see nothing wrong adopting western clothing when it does not conflict with the rules of Islam in regards to dressing. What is "our" dress? There is no 'Muslim dress'. The thobe as it is today did not even exist at the time of the Prophet (saws). They only had two garments, one top, one bottom. I still don't understand why Arabs wear the shimaagh indoors nowadays, when it was traditionally used to protect from direct sun exposure and to protect the eyes from blowing dust/sand... but that's their culture, and I adopt it if I'm going to an Arab country. As the saying goes... "when in rome, do as the romans do...".

Insaanah
06-20-2012, 09:16 PM

To be honest, the source doesn't make much difference. The point is decency.

I hope that we can all agree that as Muslims, decency, respectfulness and cleanliness in every aspect of our life is important, including in the way we dress. Deliberately hanging the trousers down, thus showing the underwear, is not decent nor a respectful way of dressing, even among many non-Muslims. No person (man or woman, Muslim or not) should have to see another Muslims underwear, neither should it be exposed, even if they keep their gaze lowered. Underwear is meant to be kept private, not paraded. Muslims are no exception to this.

CosmicPathos
06-20-2012, 09:34 PM
knee-lenght Boxers/shorts are not really those V-shaped underwears, I have to say. They can be worn on their own.

wsalam

Muezzin
06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Yet you don't tend to see people walking around in nothing but a T-shirt and a pair of knee-length boxers.

By that same token, long johns cover everything. I wouldn't expect Muslims to walk around in nothing but those, as they are undergarments.

Qurratul Ayn
06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
:wasalamex

Informative post, Sister Haafizah (your first post). Hmmm... ^o)

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl:The point is decency.
Hear, hear.

And respect. Hardly anyone wants to see undergarments on other people regardless of being male or female, doesn't matter who you are or what your faith is.

And why in the world would someone want their undergarments on display anyway?! Yucky!

TrueStranger
06-21-2012, 04:07 AM
It's interesting how someone can actually argue that a "Homosexual" cultural trend that started in "Prisons" to attract or sexually invite another man is somehow relevant when it comes to diversity within the Muslim community . Sodomy is a major sin, and to dress or adopt a dress-code initially meant to signify the act of sodomy is disgraceful! Just because down-low rappers adopted the style does not mean that a Muslim should as well.

BadOlPuttyTat
06-21-2012, 04:46 AM
It's interesting how someone can actually argue that a "Homosexual" cultural trend that started in "Prisons" to attract or sexually invite another man is somehow relevant when it comes to diversity within the Muslim community . Sodomy is a major sin, and to dress or adopt a dress-code initially meant to signify the act of sodomy is disgraceful! Just because down-low rappers adopted the style does not mean that a Muslim should as well.
I would show you the video but it is kinda gross and goes into detail about sodomy. But the point is a lot of "old timers" in prison who were in before sagging became popular noticed it. So sagging was pop in prisoners first and it had a "purpose".
"Im here im queer! Lets party boys!" +o(
So ya get my drift?

~ Sabr ~
06-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Has this thread not gone on long enough?

Thread closed?

Imaduddin
06-21-2012, 06:15 AM
I hope everyone watches this video:

Banu_Hashim
06-21-2012, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
:wasalamex

Informative post, Sister Haafizah (your first post). Hmmm... ^o)

Hear, hear.

And respect. Hardly anyone wants to see undergarments on other people regardless of being male or female, doesn't matter who you are or what your faith is.

And why in the world would someone want their undergarments on display anyway?! Yucky!
Exactly which is why it's called UNDER garments. Not meant to be seen.

Muhammad
06-21-2012, 12:03 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
We should take pride in our appearance definitely. I see nothing wrong adopting western clothing when it does not conflict with the rules of Islam in regards to dressing.
I agree, whilst some things are better than others, I'm not saying that the above is necessarily wrong. I was just raising the question of identity and the source of one's style of dress when the brother said that things once unique to the kuffaar end up becoming common occurrences anyway.

What is "our" dress? There is no 'Muslim dress'. The thobe as it is today did not even exist at the time of the Prophet (saws). They only had two garments, one top, one bottom. I still don't understand why Arabs wear the shimaagh indoors nowadays, when it was traditionally used to protect from direct sun exposure and to protect the eyes from blowing dust/sand... but that's their culture, and I adopt it if I'm going to an Arab country. As the saying goes... "when in rome, do as the romans do...".
It is true that there is no one particular way that Muslims dress. However, there are certain types of clothes that identify more clearly that someone is a Muslim, and/or which fulfil the criteria of covering the awrah in a more complete and beautiful way. This isn't restricted to Arab clothing - there are other predominantly Muslim cultures who adopt such styles of clothing.

sofiap
06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
masha Allaah...both sides have been given the due right to express how they feel, we should leave it here and allow all to choose what they feel is correct...and somtimes we do need to talk things out,to allow to look at things from all angles...and for the admin who has allowed this..thankyou... lets make peace with it...to agree to disagree...we change our views and perceptions as we grow...insha Allaah,Allaah guides...

Snowflake
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I know bro. But the reason people display their underpants is an immoral one. It's not the same as a poor man who has only one garment that is his under and over garment as well.

ardianto
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I was a young guy who had high value in the women's eyes. But actually that was not because my physical appearance, but because my attitude toward people, and my way in dressing.

I was not a guy who dressed 'weird' only to follow mode, or to show people that I was different. I was always avoid style that show the muscle, or too bright, or 'different'. I was always avoid used accessories like necklace or chain. I just dressed modestly but beautiful. And just play in color, that usually soft.

My wife told me, my way in dressing was impress her, and affected her to open her heart for me. Some women told me too, they have positive image on me that built by my way in dressing. My way in dressing that modest but beautiful made me have image as a guy who have modest and beautiful character.

Imagine if I dressed weird, or became the victim of mode.

So, what we wear will determine the people's image on us.

Muezzin
06-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Has this thread not gone on long enough?

Thread closed?
I agree.

And seriously lads, pull your trousers up.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!