PDA

View Full Version : Writing "AOA" at beginning of posts

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
:salamext:

Is it ok to write "AOA"?

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

1. If “AOA” refers to the traditional Islamic greeting of Assalaamu Alaikum, then it is not permissible to use this abbreviation, as it is not Salaam. Nabi ( sallallahu alayhi wasallam ) has mentioned ten rewards for the one who initiates the salaam with the words Assalaamu Alaikum, twenty rewards for the one who adds Wa Rahmatullah and thirty rewards for adding Wa Barakatuh.
(Abu Dawood, Vol 13, Pg 212)

And Allah knows best

Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Source: http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/15012

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
:wa:

JazakAllah khair for sharing.

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Yes you can write...It's just a matter how you Perceive thing.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
^ This is the scholar that has said it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
:sl:

pl. bro & sis , calm down.

Holy Ramadan is coming . Let's prepare ourselves for it . Don't waste time by urguing about every single matters - this is my humble request to all .

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
pl. bro & sis , calm down.

Holy Ramadan is coming . Let's prepare ourselves for it . Don't waste time by urguing about small matters - this is my humble request to all .
ok sister noted

peace!!!!

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasirslm
peace!!!!
InshaAllaah let us note what sister Muslim Woman said, and not argue over petty things, and try and follow Islaam as MUCH AS WE CAN.

dysphoricrocker
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Salaam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Don't waste time by urguing about every single matters
I agree with our sister. Let's not argue over such trivial matters, for this is the trap of the syaitan.

May Allah safeguard us from the accursed syaitan.

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Noted Sis Haafizah...now let us have peace,please

ardianto
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Honestly, first time I read "AOA", what's in my mind was Tarzan yell in the jungle "Aaaooaa !!!"

yasirslm
06-20-2012, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Honestly, first time I read "AOA", what's in my mind was Tarzan yell in the jungle "Aaaooaa !!!"
Interesting..^o)

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
interesting...discussion
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ardianto
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasirslm
Interesting..^o)
I am not kidding or joking. That's really happened to me. :)

tigerkhan
06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
well it was much common in text msging in pakistan... Allah SWT forgive, i myself use it many times. jazakallah for sharing it.

ardianto
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
For Indonesian Muslim like me who familiar with "Assalamu' alaikum", AOA or "Assalam O Alaikum" is 'unusual'.

Muhaba
06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
it is really laziness on the part of the writer.

i too write abbreviations for arabic phrases such as SAW and SWT when i can't repeatedly type it in english or arabic. even PBUH is common english abbreviation. but i've never used AOA.

if you can't type Assalamo alaikum each time you write, use copy and paste or autocorrect function of Word.

~ Sabr ~
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
if you can't type Assalamo alaikum each time you write, use copy and paste or autocorrect function of Word.
At last, some common sense in this thread.

dqsunday
06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I personally dislike most acronyms..they are confusing and often can be misinterpreted, especially to somebody who's new. Especially when AOA, SWT, SAWS means nothing to those just learning about Islam and new to the Arabic expressions. It took me awhile to figure out what PBUH meant, for the longest time I thought it was just some title or degree attached to the Prophet. Eventually I figured them out as I learned more...then I found it far more helpful to me to have it all spelled out so I can just pronounce it and get better at saying it in the nice flow so many narrators/speakers about Islam I watch on youtube and other sites to learn more.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!