/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Modest' Swimwear No Longer Just For The Pious

جوري
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
'Modest' Swimwear No Longer Just For The Pious, As Niche Entrepreneurs Dive In

Crystal Huyben models a modest swimsuit from her company, Simply Modest.

Crystal Huyben, 27, a born-again Christian from Ontario, likes to cover everything from her knees to her collarbone when she gets in the water.
"Modesty has always been important to me, believing that our sexuality is an amazing gift from God," she said. "[It's] something to be protected, not put on display for all eyes to see."
Huyben, who sewed her first modest swimsuit when she was a teenager, now runs a company, Simply Modest, selling the garments. Her website Simply Modest is one of about a dozen, all launched over the past decade, marketing suits that protect their wearers from sun, chlorine and lustful stares.
Now, Huyben and other modest swimwear entrepreneurs are finding that their suits are catching on with a secular audience. Tulin Reid, 38, a former plus size model, is a fan of HydroChic, a line of modest- and activewear founded six years ago by two modern Orthodox Jewish women, Sara Wolf and Daniella Teutsch, in New York's Westchester county.
"My faith is not an influence on my swimsuit choice," said Reid, who works as the marketing director of Plus Model Magazine. "I paddleboard and do water aerobics. It allows me to be athletic and active without worrying that something will pop out."
While most modest swimwear brands have been created for specific religious sects, they are quickly attracting customers of other faiths as well as older and plus-size women. Modest swimsuits typically cover the thigh, midriff and bust areas, hiding more than a one-piece and less than the head-to-toe burqinis worn by conservative Muslim women.
"Each lady has a different story," said Huyben of her customers. "Some have scars from surgery, others have extreme skin sensitivity to the sun, many are plus size and tired of shopping at swimwear stores that cater to girls with 'perfect' bodies."
Modest swimwear is venturing "outside the realm of religion," agreed Chantelle Thomson, the owner of Diviine Modestee, a modest clothing company geared toward Mormon women. Diviine Modestee's swimwear line, DivinitaSole, is sold in 48 Costco stores in the Western United States. In March, when a fan "pinned" a photo of one of Thomson's plaid one-pieces on Pinterest, her company received 1,000 orders in 48 hours. Thomson, who ordered 75,000 swimsuits in June and has almost sold all of them, expects her company's sales to rise nearly 50 percent this year.
While last year 90 percent of Thomson's customers were Mormons, she estimates 30 percent of her customers thus far this year "aren't affiliated with a religion," she said. "A world that embraces fashion is now embracing modesty without even knowing it."
Indeed, the hip beachgoers of 2012 look more like 1950s pinups than contemporary collegiates on spring break. Marc Jacobs, Norma Kamali, Michael Kors and Missoni have all come out with high-waisted suits. Some modest bloggers are loving the trend: Jen Loch, a Mormon fashion blogger, recently posted retro one-pieces from Urban Outfitters, Topshop, ModCloth and Spanx on her site.
In the grand scheme of swimwear trends, two-piece suits still dominate and are expected to make up 68 percent of a projected $2.6 billion in U.S. women's swimsuit sales in 2012, according to IBISWorld estimates. "Most people don't like to be the odd one out, even if it means wearing something they are less than comfortable with," Huyben said.
Simply Modest's "swimdresses," which sell for about $100, are floral, stretchy garments made up of loose tunics with knee-length leggings underneath.
Other companies present a different interpretation of how much coverage equals modesty. HydroChic makes sporty leggings, knee-length skirts with ruffles and skorts that extend to the upper thigh; starting prices for tops and bottoms are about $70 apiece. DivintaSole makes suits resembling conventional one-pieces but covering the bust area ($99).
Even the most conservative modest swimsuits are too revealing for some Muslim and Amish women, who seek head-to-toe coverage. Many Orthodox Jews, meanwhile, don't believe men and women should swim together at all.
Ten years ago, women like Huyben had to improvise with T-shirts and board shorts if they wanted to swim. Today, an online community flourishes around those interested in modest attire. Online stores and Facebook groups attract modest shoppers of various religions and degrees of devotion. Blogs like Modestclothes.com provide directories of stores selling everything from hijabs and Catholic nun garb to "trendy" attire for Mormon teenagers.
Modesty and sexiness aren't mutually exclusive, Thomson asserted. "After 10 years of marriage you should still make your husband turn his head. That's my goal."
Some of Thomson's more traditional competitors have a different take. "Men are sight oriented," said Joan Ferguson, who claims her company WholesomeWear in Aurora, Ore., offered the first online modest swimwear store. "Why dress so they're having unclean thoughts?" WholesomeWear's suits sell for $75.20 on its website.
Thomson aims to please secular customers seeking fashion as well as her Christian base, she said.
HydroChic also steers clear of religious references on its website and promotional materials. "That's not part of our company because we feel like modesty is something different to everybody," said cofounder Sara Wolf. She designs her suits, which also come in versions with SPF and chlorine protection, to blend in at most beaches. "We wanted something more appropriate that didn't make us look like we were from outer space," Wolf said.
Two successful modest clothing companies originally geared towards Mormon women, ModBod and Shade Clothing, have abandoned the word modesty all together in their marketing. Shade Clothing, founded by Brigham Young University grad Chelsea Rippy, was bought by San Francisco-based Gymboree in 2010. The chain added bikini styles and removed religious language from the website.
Secular fans of modest swimwear, like Reid, might appreciate the changes. "Sometimes the word [modest] is being used as a judgment," Reid said. "Because I choose to wear a two-piece doesn't make me immodest."
But the changes also upset some loyalists. "I've been disappointed in the continual "mainstream" changes made to your line," wrote Nica Conde Nuttall of Virginia on Shade's website Facebook page in February. "Please go back to what made you great -- modest and stylish options for women!!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D172097

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I have also been seeing many kaffirs in hijab it is very curious...
they've turned off the men with their plump nakedness and the men turned homo or to the dead.. so now they're rethinking the strategy and laws of attraction?

LauraS
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Or you stop tarring non-Muslims with the same brush in your usual fashion and realise some of us aren't comfortable going around half naked!

جوري
06-22-2012, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
Or you stop tarring non-Muslims with the same brush in your usual fashion and realise some of us aren't comfortable going around half naked!
Stop what exactly? You want my every post to have some deliberate omission as to not offend your sensibilities?
Are you that linear or want everything to be spelled out for you as I think the article posted already negates your raison d'être on this thread!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qurratul Ayn
06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
:salamext:

Peace upon you all

Great article. I think it's :awesome: that many women around the world, regardless of their faith, are wanting to wear modest, covered swimwear. It's very interesting to find out in this day and age, that many women out there would far prefer to cover up than put everything on display. Truly :awesome:

Also, designer brands are starting to permeate this swimwear too, applying it to their fashion seasons or whatever it is. Hmmm... Definitely will allow more coverage of the swimwear, and hopefully will be found in every store in the world as an option to all those who would wear this than the awful, hardly there swimwear that seems to dominate the market every spring/summer season.

Peace upon you all

glo
06-22-2012, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

Peace upon you all

Great article. I think it's :awesome: that many women around the world, regardless of their faith, are wanting to wear modest, covered swimwear. It's very interesting to find out in this day and age, that many women out there would far prefer to cover up than put everything on display. Truly :awesome:

Also, designer brands are starting to permeate this swimwear too, applying it to their fashion seasons or whatever it is. Hmmm... Definitely will allow more coverage of the swimwear, and hopefully will be found in every store in the world as an option to all those who would wear this than the awful, hardly there swimwear that seems to dominate the market every spring/summer season.

Peace upon you all

Peace to you too, sister Qurratul Ayn

This is indeed an interesting and encouraging development. It will give women the opportunity to chose the swimwear they are comfortable in and still be active, rather than feel discouraged or unable to go swimming or to the beach etc.

And the more women buy this, the more available it will become. :)

Qurratul Ayn
06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
^ Yep, yep, yep

Truly :awesome:

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Even men I think sis Qurratul Ayn. (Assuming that's why David Beckham wore a sarong once) jk :giggling:

Qurratul Ayn
06-22-2012, 08:39 PM
^ Oh dear me.

:haha:

EDIT: Just got the joke, Sister Snowflake. Apologies for being slow on the uptake :haha:

Marina-Aisha
06-22-2012, 09:01 PM
thats cool..Also i have to say the other week i went to the swimming pool seemed everyone looked at me strange when i was covered head to toe to the swimming pool

glo
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
^
Good for you, for going to the pool anyway, marina-hadeya.
That takes courage and confidence. :statisfie

جوري
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
thats cool..Also i have to say the other week i went to the swimming pool seemed everyone looked at me strange when i was covered head to toe to the swimming pool
I think that trend is changing and not because of the reasons afore mentioned like modesty or obesity, rather many people avoid sun exposure skin cancer is the most common type of cancer there is and the more sunburns people get they increase their likelihood of actinic keratosis which can advance to squamous cell carcinoma and are caused by damage from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays, it is the second most common type of skin cancer.. I have sustained a severe sunburn just standing in the sun for a couple of hours a couple of days ago even though I was wearing a long sleeve shirt.. It is best to opt for garment that is SPF protective.. If people want to stare funny, honestly that's their problem.
When I go swimming, people who are there to actually swim are wearing one long piece leotard or like this:

they do their laps and get out.. ironically those who wear the immodest suits are neither in good shape nor can they actually swim.
I do believe that we'll see a changing trend soon of what is acceptable.. I do pray for the day that those who come in what appears to be nothing more than underwear are the ones who feel awkward and funny and go wrap something about their body. modesty applies to women toward other women as well even if no men are around and they make the rest uncomfortable with what they choose to wear..

:w:

Qurratul Ayn
06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
^ Agreed

I think the decent swimwear will become more known and available all round. But it will take time, and the other type of swimwear will still be there, as there will be women who are fools through and through. But Insha'Allaah, the ones who want to be covered will have the option of decent swimwear readily available.

We, women, are so strong. Subhan'Allaah! Praise be to the Almighty

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Fatties will be happy too as they can cover their lumps and bumps under modest swinwear ;D

Qurratul Ayn
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
^ I truly laughed out loudly when I read that comment.

;D

Snowflake
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
:D

masha Allah

aadil77
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
I have also been seeing many kaffirs in hijab it is very curious...
sounds hilarious when you word it like that

I once saw a jew on a bike, don't know why it was funny

Cabdullahi
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Finally! We men can have some respite.

Abz2000
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
maybe they've realized that men respect and value women more when they are modest and don't put out desperately,

i've noticed the guy at work joke in a more respectable manner with female customers when it comes to sisters in hijab in contrast to the ones who put out, but even he stops cold at the totally lewd ones, he says he wouldn't wanna be seen dead walking down the street with THAT!

to me women who wear a scarf look more pure and un-defiled and i would assume it's a good thing, and there's no harm in any woman or man coming closer to decency and fitrah.

جوري
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
sounds hilarious when you word it like that

I once saw a jew on a bike, don't know why it was funny
It's because they were one of those cool 'infinity' scarves a mini skirt and boots in 100 degree Fahrenheit weather .. So you're right it's hilarious!

Snowflake
06-23-2012, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
maybe they've realized that men respect and value women more when they are modest and don't put out desperately.
Hope so. Practicing or non practicing. Muslim or non muslim, I think it's inbuilt in men and women to see through their personal choices and respect a woman (or man) for their modesty. I went to get some stuff from a timber yard once and the man (typical non muslim builder) actually apologized to me for the 'nude' calender on the wall. I thought subhan Allah, how nice - that's his natural fitrah talking.

ardianto
06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
Common sight in Indonesia' swimming pools.

ardianto
06-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Dressed modestly or immodestly is not related with which religion they embrace, but how pious they are. I often see non-Muslim women who dressed modestly, and Muslim women who dressed sexily.

LauraS
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

Peace upon you all

Peace upon you all

Tis true, I may not be Muslim but I hate wearing what I see as just a bra and pants on the beach :hmm: much rather have more cover.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!