/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is there female stutterer?

ardianto
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Assalamu'alaikum.

I am actually stutterer, although not so bad if compared when I was young. And Alhamdulillah, this is not a problem for me.

I make this thread is not to talk about me, but to find the answer that still unanswered for two decades. I have meet a number of stutterer people, and all of them are male. It made me wonder "is there female stutterer?". I've asked my wife, my sisters, some women who I know, but all of them told me, they never found female stutterer.

So, I make this thread to know, is there "female stutterer"?. Or maybe stutter happen only to male?.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Stutterer, is that the person who repeats the first letter of a word before being able to say the word, like if they want to say organization, they say o-o-organization?

if yes, then yes there are females who have this problem. i have personally known a few of them. this is a heriditary problem but may also be caused by parents if they force a left-handed child to eat with the right hand in early childhood.

the ppl i knew who had this problem had a lot og genetical disorders because of repeated marriages within the family. but many of them were also left-handed made to eat with the right hand as early as age 4. and it is known that this can cause speech disorders.

of course children should eat with the right hand, but if they are left-handed, their speech should be allowed to develop first before parents force them to eat with the right hand. so i think that children in early childhood shouldn't be forced to eat with right hand but later, after their speech develops.

ardianto
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Stutter is condition when someone want to say, but he feel his tongue faltered. Like, want to say "what organization do you follow", and he say "wha.. wha .. what .. or ..or..ganization ..ddd ...ddd .. do you follow". Usually in the last of the sentence he can speak fluently.

If she said "o-o-organization", maybe she's stutter, or maybe she's not stutterer but she doubt when to say something. Sometime I found people like this.

patientgrace
06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a female cousin that has a stutter. She has stuttered her whole life. It has affected her personal and social life. She has taken many speech classes and they have not seemed to help her. She also has two children, one female and one male, the female speaks perfectly, but her son has a major stutter.

According to statistics, approximately 60% of those who stutter have a family member who does also.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Female?. Finally I get the answer. Thanks for your info. :)

I had two theories about why I never found stuttering female. First, stutter happen only to males. Second, there are stuttering female, but they are to shy to speak, different than males.

I am the only person in my family who is stutter. It's happened since I was 7 or 8. But different than theory that stutter caused by bad experience, or bad treatment from people around them. My childhood life and teenage life were very happy. I was born in middle class family with parents who always love me.

Okay, I'll be back with my story as stutterer, and how I overcome this problem.

patientgrace
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes, stuttering can be caused by a traumatic experience.

Another statistic that I found was that stuttering seems to affect four times as many males than it does females. Also children and adults who stutter are no more likely to have a psychological disorder or emotional problems than children or adults who do not. There is no reason to believe that emotional trauma causes stuttering in all cases.

My niece developed a speech problem when her father went to Iraq, she was 3 at the time. I suppose it had something to do with the sudden problem that he was not there anymore. She was immediately put into speech therapy, and fortunately she was able to overcome her speech problem right before she entered Kinder.

I look forward to hearing your story! :)

Muhaba
06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Stutter is condition when someone want to say, but he feel his tongue faltered. Like, want to say "what organization do you follow", and he say "wha.. wha .. what .. or ..or..ganization ..ddd ...ddd .. do you follow". Usually in the last of the sentence he can speak fluently.

If she said "o-o-organization", maybe she's stutter, or maybe she's not stutterer but she doubt when to say something. Sometime I found people like this.
no she was a stutterer and so were many of her cousins.

you should read the dua of Musa Alaihi salaam "Ya Rab ishrahli sadri wa yasirlee amri wa ohlul okdatummin lisaani..." (Surah Taha, second page). I heard Zakir Nayik saying he was a stutterer and he recited this dua and his speech improved.

i am curious why stutterers can't pronounce the first part of the statement but later parts they can pronounce all right.

dqsunday
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Stuttering is a speech disorder... found some info on it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002400/

It does indicate it is more common in men then women especially into adulthood. Shyness could also cause minor stuttering, I had that problem when I was younger, usually due to nerves but for the most part I don't have the issue anymore.

Paprika
06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Take a dose of Pa pa pa paprika everyday.....:haha:

ardianto
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by patientgrace
I look forward to hearing your story!
Sorry, I will delay the story. I'll be back later.

ardianto
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paprika
Take a dose of Pa pa pa paprika everyday.....:haha:
:)

There were many people who suggest me to eat this, drink that. Because they thought stutter caused by physical problem, like cough, or influenza.

But I began to thinking that stutter is psychiatry, or maybe psychological after I read a teenager detective book "Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators: The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot". The story was about theft of painting which the main clue was the stuttering parrot that said "To to to be or not to to to be". What the parrot said actually a clue (222 B), because parrot cannot be stutter. Then I realized why I never found dog that bark "ww...ww..ww..woof!" or cat meowing "mmm ... mmm ... miauw". It's because only those who can think that can be stutterer. It's means only human

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER

if yes, then yes there are females who have this problem. i have personally known a few of them. this is a heriditary problem but may also be caused by parents if they force a left-handed child to eat with the right hand in early childhood..
forgive me but im struggling to accept that statement.

you see my sister is left handed and was forced to eat with the right hand, her speech is perfectly lovely.

I dont think its possible to establish a link between stuttering and being forced to use what the body doesnt agree with.

ardianto
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
if yes, then yes there are females who have this problem. i have personally known a few of them. this is a heriditary problem but may also be caused by parents if they force a left-handed child to eat with the right hand in early childhood.
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
forgive me but im struggling to accept that statement.

you see my sister is left handed and was forced to eat with the right hand, her speech is perfectly lovely.

I dont think its possible to establish a link between stuttering and being forced to use what the body doesnt agree with.
All of the stutterer who I know personally are right handed, all of left handed who I know personally are not stutterer.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
All of the stutterer who I know personally are right handed, all of left handed who I know personally are not stutterer.

:) good to know

Asiyah3
06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I know one guy who has this. I didn't know it was called stuttering though, so that's something new for me. Another girl I know probably has a speech disorder but with her it looks like she wants to speak and moves her mouth, but it takes time until the voice comes.

but many of them were also left-handed made to eat with the right hand as early as age 4. and it is known that this can cause speech disorders.
Why would a parent force his child to eat with their right hand? If God created them that way, and there could be an un-known benefit to that. Are right-handedness somehow superior to left-handedness?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
Why would a parent force his child to eat with their right hand? If God created them that way, and there could be an un-known benefit to that. Are right-handedness somehow superior to left-handedness?

Mālik informed us that Ibn Shihāb informed us from Abū Bakr ibn ʿUbayd Allāh from ʿAbdullāh ibn ʿUmar that the Messenger of Allah, upon him blessings and peace, said, “When any of you eat, then let him eat with his right hand and let him drink with his right hand, because shayṭān eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.”

Muḥammad said, “We adhere to this. One ought not to eat with one’s left hand or drink with one’s left hand unless there is good cause.”

Commentary:

The majority of the scholars believe that drinking or eating with one’s right hand is mustaḥabb and to eat or drink with the left hand is considered MAKRUH TANZIHI, except in the case of necessity or a valid excuse, in which case it is not disliked at all. A group of Mālikī and Ḥanbalī scholars however, held that to eat or drink with the left hand was ḥarām because the action of doing so has been attributed to shayṭan or his like.

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...with-left-hand

ardianto
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
What's I always do when I got stutter when talking?

Smile, try to talk again ... smile, try to talk again, ... smile, try to talk again ... smile at the person who talk with me, raise my hand to give sign "wait".

Could it make me speak fluently?. Usually not. But it's always work to make the person who talk with me know that I have stutter problem. So, he/she would let me to speak with the easier way that I could do, in example, whisper, or talk slowly.

The key to overcome stutter problem is confident. If we have good confident, people would not laugh at us, they just smile and say "it's okay, it's okay".

Asiyah3
06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Mālik informed us that Ibn Shihāb informed us from Abū Bakr ibn ʿUbayd Allāh from ʿAbdullāh ibn ʿUmar that the Messenger of Allah, upon him blessings and peace, said, “When any of you eat, then let him eat with his right hand and let him drink with his right hand, because shayṭān eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.”

Muḥammad said, “We adhere to this. One ought not to eat with one’s left hand or drink with one’s left hand unless there is good cause.”

Commentary:

The majority of the scholars believe that drinking or eating with one’s right hand is mustaḥabb and to eat or drink with the left hand is considered MAKRUH TANZIHI, except in the case of necessity or a valid excuse, in which case it is not disliked at all. A group of Mālikī and Ḥanbalī scholars however, held that to eat or drink with the left hand was ḥarām because the action of doing so has been attributed to shayṭan or his like.

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...with-left-hand
Jazakallahu khair for that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!