/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do I keep getting shin splits?

Salahudeen
06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Whenever I try to exercise I get shin splits so then I stop until the pain goes away, when my shin's have healed I start exercising again and the shin splits come back!! :raging: Am I trying to do too much at once?? 45 minute cardio session 3 times a week, when I've been idle for the last 3 years and not exercised. Too much too soon??

I get the shin splits after the first session, I can't even do exercise 3 times a week :\

I have noticed when I run, I can feel a pressure on my shins, and the pain comes there eventually where the pressure is.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
having battled with this throughout most of my jogging "career", i recommend you give up because you will probably not win against it no matter what you try.

source: i used to jog alot 3 years ago

Muhaba
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
if you get pain when you exercise, then stop doing it and talk to a fitness expert or doctor, as you can cause yourself muscle injury and that is something you won't want to do since it can have lifelong effects.

a fitness expert can give you a moderate light exercise that you can do once your leg is healed.

dqsunday
06-25-2012, 09:28 PM
45 min cardio exercise after not being active for several years, is a rather big jump. Change the exercise regiment, if you are doing high impact cardio then use a different type. A basic treadmill is good and you can just do a fast walk instead of jogging. Start with 20 min sessions 3 times a week. increase by 5-10 mins in a couple of weeks. Check your shoes too, if they aren't supporting your foot properly that can be causing stress to your shins.

When I was younger i used to get these especially walking up hill. I rarely get them now. but when I return to exercising I started with short sessions. Now I do 2-3 20min to half hour sessions per day...usually 6 times a week (though I always have at least one walk every day unless feeling especialy tired a given day). I am not as consistant with this lately due to weather making it too hard for me to work out that long without overheating...but I try.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-26-2012, 06:08 AM
I agree with the above posters.
My husband developed shin splits after taking up running. He did manage to return to exercising - but only after taking a complete break from running for several weeks, much resting and icing.

I suggest you speak to an exercise expert.

Shin splits are not the kind of pain you can 'just push through'!

Hulk
06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Why not start with a low-impact exercise like biking? Or you can hit the gym and get on an elliptical.

Calm_Sea
06-26-2012, 07:05 AM
what is a shin split? ^o)

glo
06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Why not start with a low-impact exercise like biking? Or you can hit the gym and get on an elliptical.
I agree with Hulk. Low-impact exercising is the way forward.

You should be able to recover fully from shin splints if you rest for at least two weeks. This means you should not do any running or 'stop and start' sports during this time, although walking, swimming and cycling are OK.

Pain and any swelling can be relieved by raising your leg and holding an ice pack to your shin (try a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel). Do this for 10 minutes every few hours for the first two days.

Over-the-counter painkillers, such as ibuprofen or paracetamol, may also help.
Full article.

Alpha Dude
07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
What's your footwear?

I had the same problem but I'm sure that was due to a very flat pair of adidas that I was using. Upgraded to asics and gradually the pain went away. Expensive but worth it.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I had really really painful shinsplints myself.

I used a bandage and kept pressure on the area it hurt a lot, and now Im far better.

For some reason when I sit indian style i get a bit of pain on my knees tho...

possibly due to footy tho

Salahudeen
07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What's your footwear?

I had the same problem but I'm sure that was due to a very flat pair of adidas that I was using. Upgraded to asics and gradually the pain went away. Expensive but worth it.
Just average Adidas trainers, I can feel the ground though and I hate that :hmm: I'll try get the trainers you got, thanks jazakAllah khair.

What you think of these, http://www.sportsdirect.com/asics-ge...rainers-212072

Alpha Dude
07-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that's got to be the cause. Adidas aren't good for running.

Compared to the Asics, if I try to wear my old pair of Adidas now it feels like I am barefoot.

Alpha Dude
07-08-2012, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Just average Adidas trainers, I can feel the ground though and I hate that :hmm: I'll try get the trainers you got, thanks jazakAllah khair.

What you think of these, http://www.sportsdirect.com/asics-ge...rainers-212072
Not sure if it's a good idea to get them online without trying them first. Perhaps go into a shop and try the different varieties and see which is most comfortable then go home look online for a cheaper price of what you found in store?

These are the ones I got. There was a more comfortable pair in the store but they were more expensive.

Ahmed222
03-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Hmm right if you get discomfort when you work out, then quit doing it and discuss to a trainer or physician, as you can cause yourself muscular damage and that is something you won't want to do since it can have long term results.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!