PDA

View Full Version : Question?



patientgrace
06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Okay, as most of you all know I am still very new on this forum. I have had the pleasure of meeting some very interesting people on this forum and they have all been so welcoming and informative.

The question that I have may be a little weird and not make sense, so if it does not please let me know so I can try and specify...

Are there any subjects in schools that are against Islamic law or religious practices? This can be anything... For example: Is it unlawful in Islam for a woman to study sexual education?

Again, I know my questions are far out in left field, but I have to start somewhere :)

:nervous:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Imaduddin
06-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Telling kids that their ancestors were apes is a subject against Islamic teachings.

As for sexual education, I never studied any of that when I was in school. From what I have read/heard teaching little kids about sex is not permissible, many scholars are against it.
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Islamic ethic and manner in physical intimacy between husband and wife, is a lesson that taught to the Muslim youth who have reach specific age. It's include, how the husband should treat the wife, how the wife should treat the husband, what dua the husband or wife should recite before and after physical intimacy, how to purify the body after physical intimacy, etc.
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Imaduddin
Telling kids that their ancestors were apes is a subject against Islamic teachings.
Teachers in Indonesia never teach the students that human are descendants of apes. They just teach that Darwin has theory like this. Darwin's evolution theory is a popular joke among students. They look at each other and say "after I look at your face, I believe Darwin's theory".

Everything that taught in Indonesian school is not allowed to against faith. Atheism is forbidden in Indonesia, and every Indonesian citizen is obligated to follow a religion.

As for sexual education, I never studied any of that when I was in school. From what I have read/heard teaching little kids about sex is not permissible, many scholars are against it.
In Indonesia, sexual education is included in marriage education. For little kids, the lesson is only "in the future, you will be a husband/wife". Then for the older, the lesson is about pregnancy. Ethic and manner of physical intimacy taught only to those who have reach specific age, and this lesson taught by Islamic teachers for Muslims, or other religion teachers for other students.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
sister herb
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Salam alaykum;

I don´t see here would be any harm for kids to get education at school about sexual matters when they join to healt matters like pregnancy, disease, contraception... Maybe separate classes to boys and girls as kids may be shy in cause of matters. How to give education would be against islamic law?
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum;

I don´t see here would be any harm for kids to get education at school about sexual matters when they join to healt matters like pregnancy, disease, contraception... Maybe separate classes to boys and girls as kids may be shy in cause of matters. How to give education would be against islamic law?
Not everyone know what the sexual education is. They assume, sexual education means 'teaching the styles'.
Reply

sister herb
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Not everyone know what the sexual education is. They assume, sexual education means 'teaching the styles'.
Salam alaykum;

does it depends country you live or something? Even in here it doesn´t mean "teaching the styles" what ever you mean about it but health education.

^o)
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum;

does it depends country you live or something? Even in here it doesn´t mean "teaching the styles" what ever you mean about it but health education.
Wa' alaikumsalam

In my place, education about pregnancy, or sexual disease is clasified as health education. That's why, when some people in early of 80's talked about sexual education, other people assumed, they would teach technique of sex to school students.

Actually, that's just because language gap.
Reply

sofiap
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
in the society we live we need to talk about issues of how not to fall into the traps that our children have fallen in.giving them informed choices of prevention..i do feel however that very young children really don't need to be exposed to this area so young as they do now adays,and the information should be age appropriate.. .. but it depends on where they live and the issues they face...and yes girls and boys in most schools do hold these talks separately ..
Reply

Perseveranze
06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,


Question


I would really appreciate your reply to my question concerning sexual education in the curriculum in schools. When and how should this material be presented to our students? Please reply because I am working on a project.



Answer




Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. Sex as a study and practice, is of two kinds: 1) Legal, (2) Illegal. Sex education in the legal contexts includes things having to do with the married couple, such as making a marriage contract, its conditions, the specified and unspecified Mahr, the instant Mahr and the delayed one, publicizing the wedding and proposal. It also includes what the suitor can see of the body of his fiancée and what he is not allowed to see, marriage etiquette and the permissible and impermissible portions. It includes as well, rights and obligations of both the husband and the wife, rules pertaining to wife's or husband's recalcitrance, rules of mutual enjoyment between the spouses, rules regarding sheltering and good relationship and sharing nights with other wives. It also includes the spousal rights to their children, rules regarding contraception, or family planning, recognizing husband's custodianship and how to and not use this right, and so on. Sex education in this context also includes rules regarding menstruation, postpartum, Janabah (state of impurity after sexual intercourse) and the defects that give each spouse rights of option. It includes also rules of divorce, divorce at the instance of wife, fosterage, Zihar and Lian. This also includes rules regarding looking at Mahaarim (women whom you are forbidden from marrying) and what a Mahram man can see from his Mahaarim. Sex education in the second context includes, adultery and fornication, masturbation, looking at alien women; and what one can see of alien women during periods of necessity and he is not allowed to see and the regulation for all that. It also includes anal sex, sex during menstruation, unrestricted intermingling of both sexes, and being in seclusion with an alien woman. Therefore, sex education in the first context should be explained in detail in the educational curricula, though the situation of the student and his or her age should be taken into consideration. The Islamic rule regarding sex education in the second context (illegal) should also be explained in a polite manner, and with polite words and terms. Allah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=86025

Reply

PouringRain
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
From my understanding, the objections that Muslims have regarding what is taught in schools are mostly the same objections that Christians have.
Reply

Paprika
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Ai, I don't think women should study sex education, she will lose her bashfulness and sharam:thumbs_do
Reply

Imaduddin
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
The problem with sex education to young kids is that once you give them all that information, and then at the end of the day you tell them DON'T DO IT, guess what, they will want to do it. If they can't do it with someone else, they will do it with their younger siblings. Why do you think 10 years old's are having sex? Because of all the pornography that is available to them, and the information that they learn online and in schools.

Sex education might be perfect for a non-Islamic community where teens will engage in pre-marital sex (adultery) with more than one person while in their teens. But there is no need for it in an Islamic community nor among Muslims, because we do not engage in such acts (well we shouldn't anyway). As the person grows, then yes they are to be taught about the Islamic concept of marriage and all other relevant issues.
Reply

Paprika
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Imaduddin
The problem with sex education to young kids is that once you give them all that information, and then at the end of the day you tell them DON'T DO IT, guess what, they will want to do it. If they can't do it with someone else, they will do it with their younger siblings. Why do you think 10 years old's are having sex? Because of all the pornography that is available to them, and the information that they learn online and in schools.

Sex education might be perfect for a non-Islamic community where teens will engage in pre-marital sex (adultery) with more than one person while in their teens. But there is no need for it in an Islamic community nor among Muslims, because we do not engage in such acts (well we shouldn't anyway). As the person grows, then yes they are to be taught about the Islamic concept of marriage and all other relevant issues.
Ai, imagine a class full of hot blooded teenagers being taught sex education. The teacher points out to male and female genitals then they suppose to interact, ask questions and probe further???? It's just plain sick.....:phew


WTH are they thinking.....common sense will tell you soon they gonna wanna try it......
Now in my days we did a bit of biology on the human body, had a muslim female teacher, it was very awkward and it wasn't even sex education, the things we kids knew already.
Reply

Imaduddin
06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Paprika
Ai, imagine a class full of hot blooded teenagers being taught sex education. The teacher points out to male and female genitals then they suppose to interact, ask questions and probe further???? It's just plain sick.....:phew


WTH are they thinking.....common sense will tell you soon they gonna wanna try it......
Now in my days we did a bit of biology on the human body, had a muslim female teacher, it was very awkward and it wasn't even sex education, the things we kids knew already.
Exactly, it's not the year 2000 BC where hardly anyone knows how to read and there are hardly any books and information available. It's the 21'st century for Gods sake.

You don't even need to teach kids this stuff, they already know plenty.
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Sex education is education provided in stages according to age. This will not make the child want to do it. That makes the child want to do it is incorrect information on sex given by the people around them.

I think these two brother do not understand what sexual education is.
Reply

Paprika
06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Sex education is education provided in stages according to age. This will not make the child want to do it. That makes the child want to do it is incorrect information on sex given by the people around them.

I think these two brother do not understand what sexual education is.
Yeah right, howcome they never taught us in madressah then??
My ustaad would have given me such a tight Klap just mentioning sex I would have forgotten the word altogether.....:raging:
Reply

Imaduddin
06-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Sex education is education provided in stages according to age. This will not make the child want to do it. That makes the child want to do it is incorrect information on sex given by the people around them.

I think these two brother do not understand what sexual education is.
Maybe you are right, would you mind please explaining in brief the sort of topics that kids would be exposed to in such education? And please mention the age groups of the children who would be learning about those topics.
Reply

ardianto
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Imaduddin
Maybe you are right, would you mind please explaining in brief the sort of topics that kids would be exposed to in such education? And please mention the age groups of the children who would be learning about those topics.
I just realize, probably there's a misunderstanding between us. It's because I live in the East, and you are in the West. I don't know much about sexual education in the West. But in the East, one purpose of sexual education is to avoid free sex.

What are the teachers in the East teach?. For kids is introduction to puberty, like menstruation for female, and sign of puberty for male. After reach puberty age, the lesson are: why male attracted to female -vice versa, what the risk of free sex, how to avoid free sex, etc. also, what is homosexual and lesbianism. There's no lesson about how to get sex.

But actually, there's no special subject about sex. But sexual education is given in several subject like in biology, or religion. Or, in special time/special occasion.
Reply

sister herb
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Salam alaykum;

seems also in the West (even here in Finland) education seems quite same than in the East, except with religion teachers doesn´t talk about it also they don´t warn about free sex but teach how to avoid risks like diseases and pregnancy. In here it is not called about "sex education" but about health education.
Reply

Muhaba
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
first they allow free mixing of men and women, uncovering of women, etc, and when girls as young as 11 start getting pregnant, they try to solve the problem with sex education.
Reply

sister herb
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by WRITER
first they allow free mixing of men and women, uncovering of women, etc, and when girls as young as 11 start getting pregnant, they try to solve the problem with sex education.
Salam alaykum

It is health education, not just sex. Like what happens in pregnancy, how to avoid it become prengnance if you don´t want (no all women don´t want be pregnant all the time even they are marriage), how body works when you grown up etc.

It is not only for or about sex!
Reply

PouringRain
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
I just realize, probably there's a misunderstanding between us. It's because I live in the East, and you are in the West. I don't know much about sexual education in the West. But in the East, one purpose of sexual education is to avoid free sex.

What are the teachers in the East teach?. For kids is introduction to puberty, like menstruation for female, and sign of puberty for male. After reach puberty age, the lesson are: why male attracted to female -vice versa, what the risk of free sex, how to avoid free sex, etc. also, what is homosexual and lesbianism. There's no lesson about how to get sex.

But actually, there's no special subject about sex. But sexual education is given in several subject like in biology, or religion. Or, in special time/special occasion.
Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum;

seems also in the West (even here in Finland) education seems quite same than in the East, except with religion teachers doesn´t talk about it also they don´t warn about free sex but teach how to avoid risks like diseases and pregnancy. In here it is not called about "sex education" but about health education.
It is similar here as well. The schools teach an abstinence curriculum, and it is not even begun until 5th grade or later. (Of course, in some cities these days it would be too late!)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!