/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The secret to good writing

Muhaba
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
1. Use correct sentences:
sentences may be simple, compund, or complex but long, complicated sentences that don't seem to end shouldn't be used. I believe i read that the longest sentence shouldn't have more than 30 words (and even that is too long). if your sentence is too long, break it down. if you have too many parts divided by commas, try to turn each one into a separate sentence.

2. paragraph should have 1 main idea and several detail sentences telling you more about the main idea. if you have a sentence that is not related to the main idea, remove it or use it in a separate paragraph.

3. break down long chunks of text with a blank line inbetween. also, separate paragraphs should have a line in between. this makes reading easier especially online.

4. don't use too much .... in paragraphs.

post questions / comments below.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sofiap
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
lool..another rule, its about expression...:)

Muhaba
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
^i didn't understand. can you clarify what you meant?

in a paragraph, having too much of ... can be a turn off. i personally find it hard to read paragraphs with too many ..., that is between every two sentences.

جوري
06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
They're called ellipsis (...)
Now, on to the other use of ellipses that you frequently see in e-mail: the ellipsis that’s used to indicate a pause or a break in the writer's train of thought. Many people have written to me to say that they find this kind of use annoying, but a number of style guides say that ellipses can be used to indicate a pause or falter in dialog, the passage of time, an unfinished list, or that a speaker has trailed off in the middle of a sentence or left something unsaid (1, 2, 3, 4). For example, The Chicago Manual of Style states, “Ellipsis points suggest faltering or fragmented speech accompanied by confusion, insecurity, distress, or uncertainty.” The Manual contrasts ellipses with dashes, which it states
should be reserved for more confident and decisive pauses.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ellipsis.aspx

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sofiap
06-26-2012, 03:40 PM
In sha Allaah, will try to abstain from it, as ive written like that for so long,no-one has ever found problem...i believe personal growth,and believe in adversity..lol,but to accommodate i shall try. For me its not a bother how anyone writes,but to seek the message.

sofiap
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
We all should accommodate all people with different levels of knowledge of grammer , i like to know from the smart grammatically to those like myself,the laymen... :p

Muhaba
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
this aim of this thread is to help ppl with their writing and not to offend anyone. Sister Sofia, plz don't be offended by it. a bit of ellipses (...) are alright, but too many can be a turn-off, and you don't want to risk losing the reader.

sofiap
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
yes indeed :statisfie:statisfie

Muezzin
06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
The secret to good writing is reading. Seriously, read as widely and as well as you can. Apply what you learn when you write, and write frequently.

Qurratul Ayn
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
^ Yep, yep, yep.

Read as much as you can on different subjects too. Anything and everything, but within limits, obviously. I increased my reading spectrum and now, I make use of the vast amount of vocabulary I've learnt in everyday usage. A lot of people are shocked, and so am I! Lol! It is quite amusing to use different, elongated, exciting words in everyday language and seeing the look on people's faces.

:haha:

Keep writing; write down ideas, places, names, anything really that sparks interest or intrigued by it. At least one of those ideas will be the superstar and then it can be worked upon. Also the rhythm and the flow of the story may come easily and Insha'Allaah, it would end up being one heck of a good story!

But overall, very good tips and advice on this thread, I shall also make use of them, and ya never know, my story may appear on this forum. One day. Insha'Allaah

:haha:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!