/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What type of engineer should I become?

Jalal~
06-27-2012, 04:00 AM
:sl:
I'm deciding on my new major for freshman year of college, but this is proving very difficult. I've been thinking about pursuing civil engineer, but everyone has recommended mechanical since this seems to be the most popular. The reason i picked civil was because I had a childish dream that one day I would travel all across the world to Muslim countries and help build roads and masjids and basically just to improve the infrastructure. Especially in my home country, Pakistan.

But this was just a wish I had when i was growing up, nothing too serious to base my future on right?
I like math, economics, and computers. Not so sure about physics since our teacher was very lenient and gave us easy grades.
I enjoy being outside, and I don't like sitting in an office/desk, but I will if necessary.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Please ask me questions if it will help you with your answer! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
06-27-2012, 04:26 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Jalal~
I had a childish dream that one day I would travel all across the world to Muslim countries and help build roads and masjids and basically just to improve the infrastructure. Especially in my home country, Pakistan.
So, pick civil engineering. :)

My father was civil engineer with specialization in hydrology, like irrigation, dam. He worked for govt civil department which the last position before he passed away was head of the region.

tigerkhan
06-27-2012, 04:58 AM
go for civil engineering. its more interesting than mechnical.

introspective
06-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Based on your interests, sounds like electrical or computer engineering. You'd be surprised where some mechanical engineers end up. I know one mechanical engineer just started working for Cisco a year ago and he did a Ph.D on something related to biomaterials. You still got time to pick a major and it's okay to go in as undecided.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Endymion
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
As for civil engineering,its the mother field.Have lots of things to do but do what you want to do.Traveling in the middle east and working there won't be a problem no matter you are a civil engineer,electronics or Mechanical,you can help in any way.But as you are interested in civil,go for it.In Pakistan,there are as such no big projects going on and here,Computer engineers are very in in the market now a days.But any technology will be good Inshallah :statisfie

Cabdullahi
06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Network engineer

marwen
06-30-2012, 01:58 PM
It depends on :
- What you like
- What you're good at
- What can grant you better opportunities.
Make a compromise between these 3 factors.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!