/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this overthinking/too much?

anonymous
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
As-salaamu alaikum,

I have a quick question about something which I came across recently and this thought had never occurred to me before:

On one website, the word Qur'an was spelt as Qu'ran. Now does it matter where the apostrophe is placed, because for some reason in my mind I feel this is the wrong spelling and therefore the sin is on me( for allowing the word 'Qu'ran' to be spelt in the wrong way) and so I should somehow get that changed to the correct spelling. Is it a sin? Should I take any action over it?

Please can somebody help me, this is really stressing me out suddenly, I just don't understand how I can think of things in this manner. :exhausted:exhausted

JazaakAllah, wasalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
It's a transliteration of an Arabic word into English. It ain't gonna be perfect. That said, 'Qur'an' is the closest spelling you can get to the Arabic pronunciation using the English alphabet.

I seriously doubt there is a sin in misplacing an apostrophe in this context. You're overthinking things. If it's bothering you though, you could email them and ask them to spell it as 'Qur'an'. If you place the apostrophe between the U and the R, you end up pronouncing it 'Kwu-ran', technically.

Hamza Asadullah
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
As-salaamu alaikum,

I have a quick question about something which I came across recently and this thought had never occurred to me before:

On one website, the word Qur'an was spelt as Qu'ran. Now does it matter where the apostrophe is placed, because for some reason in my mind I feel this is the wrong spelling and therefore the sin is on me( for allowing the word 'Qu'ran' to be spelt in the wrong way) and so I should somehow get that changed to the correct spelling. Is it a sin? Should I take any action over it?

Please can somebody help me, this is really stressing me out suddenly, I just don't understand how I can think of things in this manner. :exhausted:exhausted

JazaakAllah, wasalaam
:sl:

Would you say you suffer from waswas (insinuating whispers of Satan)? for example you take extra long doing wudu and ghusl and worry over minor trivial matters?

anonymous
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
:sl:

Would you say you suffer from waswas (insinuating whispers of Satan)? for example you take extra long doing wudu and ghusl and worry over minor trivial matters?
Yes I would say this is so applicable to me, all through the day my mind is constantly whizzing and going at over-drive, I overanalyse each and every single thing, I do become really tired and exhausted, and still my mind won't stop overthinking! Please help me, JazaakAllah :exhausted:exhausted

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
07-05-2012, 11:27 PM
:salamext:

To overcome waswasa, just do whats needed and then ignore the doubts after that. If you don't, you'll go insane and you don't want that. Beg Allah to make it easy for you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!