/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabs Want Bigger Islam Role in Life: Poll [Interesting]

Perseveranze
06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Interesting survey results, that also dispels many myths;

CAIRO – Arab women and men favor Islamic Shari`ah to play a bigger role in legislation in their countries and that devout men are more likely to support women’s rights than those who are less religious, a new survey has found.

“The majority of women and men across countries experiencing political upheaval do want some level of religious influence in law,” the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies said in a new report.

“Those who want no legislative role at all for Shari`ah are in a small minority in every country.”

The report, “After the Arab Uprising: Women on Rights, Religion and Rebuilding”, found that 44% of women in Egypt want Shari`ah as the only source of legislation in the country.

The percentage goes up among men to 50%, who want Shari`ah as the only source of legislation.

The poll found that 38% of women and 37% of women want Shari`ah as a source for legislation in Egypt.

The percentage grew in Yemen, where 68% of men and 58% of women want Shari`ah as the only source of legislation.

The poll found that only 29% of men and 32% of women in Yemen want Shari`ah as a source of legislation.

In Libya, 39% of men and 32% of women want Shari`ah as the only source of legislation, while 40% of men and 39% of women want it as a source of legislation.

The survey, which focused on six countries that saw political upheavals in recent years, found that men and women in Syria and Tunisia were less supportive to Shari`ah role in legislation.

It found that 18% of men and 15% of women in Syria want Islamic Shari`ah as the only source of legislation.

Some 31% of men and 34% of women want Shari`ah as a source of legislation.

In Tunisia, only 16% of men and 18% of women want Shari`ah as the only source of legislation, while the percentage grew to 66% of men and 56% of women, who want it as a source of legislation.

Religion & Rights

The survey also found that devout men are more likely to support women’s rights than those who are less religious.

"The research shows that human development and overall education and economic empowerment are the most important interventions we can make to help women's rights," said Dalia Mogahed, executive director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies.

The survey found that 69% of devout men believe that a woman should have the right to initiate a divorce, while 46% of less religious men agreed.

The poll also found that there is no correlation between the degree of a man's religious faith and his resistance to equality for women.

"There is no link between men's support for Shari`ah as the only source of legislation and antagonism toward equal rights for women," Gallup researchers said.

The Gallup survey said that pragmatic factors rather than religion drive men’s support for women's equality.

“The more men are thriving, employed, and educated, the more they support women's rights,” the survey said.
"Arguments for minimizing Arab women's roles in public life and society, however, are often cloaked in religious rhetoric. Arab men and women must work together to keep economic problems from turning into religiously justified limits on women's rights."

Arabs Want Bigger Islam Role in Life: Poll - Global - News - OnIslam.net

Apart from maybe Tunisia/Syria results, it's still a positive outlook for countries that have been ruled by tyrants and secularists. Inshallah, with oppression lessoned, Islam can spread into the hearts of more people and strengthen the call for a legislation from Allah alone.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I am curious as to who wrote this article?

jzk

Perseveranze
06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال

jzk
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I'm not sure who the exact person is. But this is where the original is data is coming from;

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155324/Ar...utm_term=Egypt

جوري
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
The only reason I ask.. because you know they often make this about 'civil' vs. 'religious' state.. when the identity of Egypt was never in question.. They make it seem like Musims are backwards if they bring Islam or simpletons I have been reading everywhere (including ashamedly Arabic papers) as if they're not Muslims or have been 'liberated' and now Muslims want to bring them back. I remember one time this guy made a similar comment on CNN and the guest speaker blatantly told him, the current state of affairs is obviously not because of Muslims is it?
Article II of the Constitution is Islamic Sharia.. Christians want to remove it, but that will be over the dead body of the entire Egyptian people..
I just fear that now they may try to assassinate him or something.. especially when he pulls his shirt off in tahrir square to show people that he's not wearing a vest.. I understand what he's trying to do but he's got to toughen up a little bit..May Allah swt aid and the ummah..

ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jedi_Mindset
06-29-2012, 08:58 PM
This ought to be interesting. Especially after reading this:

''Morsi vows to defend Egypt against foreign meddling''

Egypt’s president-elect Mohamed Morsi has addressed nation in the capital Cairo's iconic Liberation Square, vowing that Egypt “will be independent from any foreign influence.”

"We will complete the journey in a civil state, a nationalist state, a constitutional state, a modern state," said Morsi to tens of thousands of people who had packed into the square.

Vowing to achieve the goals of the Egyptian Revolution, Morsi added that “people are the source of power and legitimacy.”

The newly elected president also stressed that "no one and no institution is above the will of people", promising that the new Egypt under his presidency will be “independent from foreign influence.”

Morsi also paid tribute to all Egyptians killed during the revolution.

The presidency announced late on Thursday that Morsi would be sworn in as president at 11 a.m. (0900 GMT) on Saturday before the Constitutional Court.

The Egyptian president began working on the formation of his government shortly after he moved to his new office in the presidential palace in Cairo on Monday.

On June 24, after days of delay, the Supreme Presidential Electoral Commission announced Morsi as the winner of the county’s presidential runoff. Morsi picked up 13.2 million votes out of just over 26 million.

This comes as protests have been going on since the junta dissolved the parliament dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s largest political party, earlier this month.

The junta also took control of the state budget and gave itself veto power on a new constitution, making the new president almost powerless through a recent constitutional declaration.

=====

Masha'Allah this gave me hope for the future again.

dqsunday
06-29-2012, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
From the provided link, I can see Dalia Mogahed is who wrote it. A very interesting article.

جوري
06-30-2012, 12:39 AM
^^ Jazaki Allah khyran

Al-Mufarridun
06-30-2012, 04:38 AM
:sl: JZK for sharing.

a very valuable and relevant lecture related to this piece that i found on the same link;

Jedi_Mindset
06-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Egypt’s President: we stand with Palestinian people

Egypt’s first freely-elected President Mohamed Morsi says his country ‘will stand with Palestinian people until they get their rights’.

“I will not betray my nation, my people,” Morsi said during his inauguration speech at Cairo University on Saturday.

Earlier, Morsi took the oath and became Egypt’s first civilian president in a swearing-in ceremony at the Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC).

The Muslim Brotherhood candidate was announced president on Sunday after a runoff with Ahmed Shafiq, who served as Hosni Mubarak's last prime minister.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/06/30/248705/morsi-we-stand-with-palestinian-people/

Masha'Allah, i felt happiness when i read this. Need find more sources for this, sis bluebell you live in egypt right? Can you confirm this?

جوري
06-30-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.presstv.com/detail/2012/0...tinian-people/

Egypt’s President: we stand with Palestinian people

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:45PM GMT

Egypt’s first freely-elected President Mohamed Morsi says his country ‘will stand with Palestinian people until they get their rights’.

“I will not betray my nation, my people,” Morsi said during his inauguration speech at Cairo University on Saturday.

Earlier, Morsi took the oath and became Egypt’s first civilian president in a swearing-in ceremony at the Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC).

The Muslim Brotherhood candidate was announced president on Sunday after a runoff with Ahmed Shafiq, who served as Hosni Mubarak's last prime minister.

PG/IS

Israel wants war with Egypt now.. They want to try Morsi.. but the fact is, ALL the Egyptians will rip into them if they do, because they've had it with them and not necessarily for religious reasons even..

جوري
06-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Morsi did not mention Israel, but in a speech made after his swearing in ceremony he said that the new regime in Cairo "Stands by the Palestinian people and will work so that they obtain all their legitimate rights."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...249220,00.html

جوري
06-30-2012, 02:29 PM
''Ard Al kinanat ma'in7anat youman illa lab'areha''

in the speech today
the land that holds the arrows {Euphemism for Egypt} has never bowed except to its creator...

Jedi_Mindset
06-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I think the egyptian people are well prepared for a US or israeli strike on egypt, only Allah knows best what will happen though. The US is certainly not happy with the result, even though they gave congratulations, what we need to look at is the possible middle east in the future. hopefully no borders anymore, no countries or divisions Insha'Allah . But thats just a bit far away from now on, lets focus on egypt now where the revolution truly succeeded.

May Allah(SWT) give the egyptian people more time to accomplish their goals. Ameen.

جوري
06-30-2012, 02:49 PM
& ALL MUSLIMS
ameen

جوري
06-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Gazans celebrate Islamic victory in Egypt

Hamas leader says Morsi's election as Egyptian president a blow to 'program of normalization and security cooperation with the enemy'
Elior Levy, AFP
Published: 06.24.12, 19:47 / Israel News

Palestinians in Gaza celebrated on Sunday, as Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohamed Morsi was named winner of Egypt's presidential election, with Hamas hailing a "historic moment."

And the Palestinian Authority in charge of the West Bank issued its own congratulations to Morsi, who is set to become Egypt's first post-uprising president.
Related articles:

Senior Hamas official Mahmud Zahar told AFP that the victory was "a historic moment and a new era in the history of Egypt," as Gazans cheered and fired volleys of celebratory gunfire in the streets of the Palestinian territory.

The Hamas Islamist movement that rules the Gaza Strip has long-standing ties with the Muslim Brotherhood, and grew from the Egyptian organization that saw its candidate win 51.73% of the vote to defeat ex-prime minister Ahmed Shafik.

Haniyeh, Gazans celebrate Morsi win (Photo: AFP)

Zahar called Morsi's victory "a defeat for the program of normalization and security cooperation with the enemy," referring to Israel.

Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh phone Morsi to congratulate him on the victory and expressed hope that his presidency would bring stability and security to the Egyptian people.

The terror group's foreign minister, Mohammed Awad, said the victory signaled a "clear victory for democracy in the region," adding that Morsi's victory would "directly influence the Palestinian people."

Hamas spokesman in Gaza Fauzi Barhoum said the Egyptian election results constitute a "historic turning point for Egypt." The election results will "define the future of the Palestinian issue," he predicted.

The Palestinian Authority also congratulated Egypt's president-elect.

"We congratulate Doctor Mohamed Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood candidate, on his win in the Egyptian presidential elections, and his election as president of Egypt," Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told AFP.
The Palestinians have closely watched Egypt's post-uprising transition, with Hamas hailing the rise of its traditional ally the Muslim Brotherhood, which also won a majority in Egypt's parliamentary elections.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...246710,00.html

May Allah swt aid us and them and Muslims almostad3feen fi al'ard fi mashariqha wa magharibha
ameen ameen ameen

Jedi_Mindset
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Ameen and Insha'Allah

Now Netanyahu is sending a letter to morsi to remain the israel-egyptian peace treaty. Difficult choice for Morsi now, if egypt opens the rafah crossing then surely the israelis wont be happy, but peace needs to remain in the region because we dont want a big war right?

Salahuddin(Ra) had also a peace treaty with christians after they occupied jerusalem, until the christians started to attack a muslim calvary/convoy. But truth is, its good to have peace treaties to prevent chaos in the region.

And to both have a common goal for the palestinians, otherwise the region will face major problems. I'm surely anti-israel but dont want a big war where certainly more muslims will die. And Allah knows best. but truly the palestinians need to get their land back. insha'Allah

Be cautious though, we know the zionists are ''the dogs of war'', and they see every muslim as toilet paper

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!