/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is the traditional Burkha black???

Qurratul Ayn
06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
:salamext:

The title says all; why is the traditional Burkha black?

I was asked this question, and I could not answer as I was asked does it say in Islam that females have to wear black Burkhas, and not white ones or coloured ones or whatnot.

I was dumbstruck. Light went out. Couldn't think. And actually, the question made me think too after being asked that is.

But I did reply by saying that the Burkha is meant to be simple, no ornaments or designs on it. But the person wanted to know why the black was significant.

Your help, please :)

(this thread can be moved wherever, I didn't know where to post it, thus posting it in the General Section)

:salamext:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Can your friend imagine a burkha coloured, for example, shocking pink?

Abz2000
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM
another practical use of black - especially in a hot country is that it can be light and airy and still not be as transparent as other colours

Qurratul Ayn
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Can your friend imagine a burkha coloured, for example, shocking pink?
The person is not my friend.

The person may not imagine so, but I have seen a Sister wearing one. In a wedding. The shocking pink definitely lived up to it's name in full glory. I was traumatised. Still am, as a matter of fact. Truly horrific. The colour should be struck off from the palette of colours forevermore.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
another practical use of black - especially in a hot country is that it can be light and airy and still not be as transparent as other colours
OK, I could say that. But is there any Hadith that says we have to wear black? Or is it just a cultural thing that stuck through the ages?

I know Muslim females should wear loose, appropriate, covered clothing. ALWAYS. But the person just wanted to know, "why black?" Why not white, especially in a hot country and asked is it part of Islaam, the colour black for burkhas. And added as black absorbs heat and white reflects heat, would it not be better to wear white

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dqsunday
06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
only reason I can think of is black dye is cheaper. Also it does tend to hide form better as it makes one appear to be in shadow. As for any specific Hadith or sunna ruling I have no idea myself, though I did find this when i searched the Islam helpline website http://www.islamhelpline.net/node/1918

Thus I expect any outer clothing worn can be any color just as long as it isn't to bright or patterned to draw needless attention as the women doesn't want to stand out so much to draw unwanted attention. This said, there may be local cultural laws that are outside of Islam which may insist black is worn by women who are out in public.

TrueStranger
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I think it depends on the region and culture. I know that in some Muslim countries they wear the white ones, while in some other cultures they wear other non-black dark colors. And obviously, in Afghanistan I have seen the light blue one.

Muhammad
06-30-2012, 10:39 PM
:wasalamex

And it says (17/109):

Wearing black for women is not a must. They may wear other colours that are worn only by women, do not attract attention and do not provoke desire.

Many women choose to wear black, not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment. There are reports which indicate that the women of the Sahaabah used to wear black. Abu Dawood (4101) narrated that Umm Salamah said: “When the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ [al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning] were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of their garments.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The Standing Committee (17/110) said: This is to be understood as meaning that those clothes were black in colour.

And Allaah knows best.
Read in full: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/39570

'Abd-al Latif
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Search for one of my threads (can't remember the exact title but it has the word hijab in it). The colour black is the least attractive and eye-catching colour. Black clothing is more commonly worn by women when outside the home, which, i think, makes it easier for men to know when to lower the gaze.

~Zaria~
07-01-2012, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Search for one of my threads (can't remember the exact title but it has the word hijab in it). The colour black is the least attractive and eye-catching colour. Black clothing is more commonly worn by women when outside the home, which, i think, makes it easier for men to know when to lower the gaze.

http://www.islamicboard.com/family-s...s-shariah.html

Hulk
07-01-2012, 06:25 AM
To look like a ninja of course! Just kidding. But yes to me it makes sense to choose black to be less "noticable". There are however different cultures who have been purified by Islam and some of their burkas are pretty colorful. Pretty interesting but I can't remember what culture for now. Anways this person you are talking to, be careful as he/she might not really be interested to know why black/white as he might have another intention and if that is the case whatever answer you give him will not be enough.

muslimah bird
07-01-2012, 06:59 AM
It's well known that wearing white in hot weather keeps people cool, whereas black does the complete opposite.

So why do women wear black? .Maybe because white can be see through

Hulk
07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah bird
It's well known that wearing white in hot weather keeps people cool, whereas black does the complete opposite.
I used to think this for a long time too. But according to science. I'm wrong!

http://io9.com/5903956/the-physics-t...ck-this-summer

Qurratul Ayn
07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
:jz: to all who replied, shall use your comments when I next see the person!

format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
To look like a ninja of course! Just kidding.
:haha: That comment has been said to me before when we spoke about the full burkha. I replied back saying and people will know not to mess with them as they are highly dangerous! Lol

Anyways this person you are talking to, be careful as he/she might not really be interested to know why black/white as he might have another intention and if that is the case whatever answer you give him will not be enough.
Well, the person is asking a valid question, and I am trying to answer politely and to the best of my knowledge, and now I have gained some, I shall relay it back. The person was curious and was wondering, and therefore asked me, seeing as I am the only practising Muslim in my workplace.

If it helps the person to better understand Islaam, and see its wholesome beauty, then yay! But I shall be careful.

Qurratul Ayn
07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
"And if people ask you what you're in mourning for, tell them you mourn their limited grasp of physics."

:haha: Brilliant

Endymion
07-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Can't say why,i am not THAT old :hmm: but to me,black burka is perfect.It looks sober and also,it has a feeling of awe which no other colors have.Here some women wear brown and grey burka's.I also had a grey burka with black scarf when i was in college but i begin to dislike it after some time.I like black burka with colored scarf :statisfie they look nice.And i dont like so much embroidery on it.That always sound like a moving decoration piece to me :skeleton:

~Zaria~
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
You can wear the most beautiful, colourful, dazzling and revealing clothes that you desire.

But when you leave home/ come into the presence of ghair men - throw a cloak/ abaya/ burkha over it (and hijab covering your hair).

We're not boring/ given up on life/ acting like old women/ depressed (--> some of the reasons you may hear from others, including muslims - to detract you from your hijab).

No, instead - we are saving our under-garments (the beautiful, colourful, dazzling and revealing clothes) - for our husbands......and none other.
And we have a personality and our own preferences.....beneath what appears to be a 'uniformed' way of dress.

Why does the world wish to admire that which does not belong to them?

In any case - dressing has never been cheaper, easier, more comfortable, more preserving of modesty and dignity - and above all else: more pleasurable in the sight of Allah (subhanawataƔla) - then that which fulfills all conditions of hijab.
Alhamdulillah.

:wa:

ardianto
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
:sl:

Although rare, in my place there are women who wear burka, and there are men who wear long clothes like Arab, although with kufi, not kafiyeh.

But those women burka is not always black. They wear other colors too like green, brown, or blue, but always dark color. And those men long clothes is not always white, but also, green, grey, blue. However, always in light color but not bright.

sister herb
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Not sure about burkha but khimar and other islamic clothes might be very colored in many African countries. Ever seen how for example Somalian sisters wear?

:statisfie

muslimah bird
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I used to think this for a long time too. But according to science. I'm wrong!
How strange.

Always used to think that lighter colors will reflect the heat and darker ones will absorb it .

sister herb
07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Is actually pink burkha so bad?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PGM5komqCw...k+in+paris.jpg

Just link that you can click if you like to see.

Endymion
07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Hmm this one looks nice :statisfie

Qurratul Ayn
07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
^^ :lol:

Not all of them, only shocking pink. Check the first couple of posts... Lol!

I agree, Endy!!!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Dont think theres anything wrong with any color as long as the clothing meets the requirements of what needs to be covered and does not warrant extra attention. I don't think wearing different colors attracts extra attention. It's as much a guys job to lower his gaze - regardless of what color the women are wearing. The whole idea that seems to be going around these days of 'hijab is such and such to protect men and help them lower their gaze' is, in my opinion, a cop-out because regardless of anything, the men are still supposed to cover their gaze.

What women wear is not dictated by what makes life easier for men. Hijab isn't there to protect men and help them lower their gaze - if anyone thinks that then they've turned an act that was supposed to be done for God to being done for themselves. Take out the whole "it'll attract attention" aspect out from it as long as you are meeting the requirements God has set forth, modesty, proper covering, etc etc - regardless of anything, the command for men is to lower their gaze and for women to cover themselves. One does not act for the other gender, rather to please God. If a man cannot lower his gaze, then the fault is on him and is a problem in his spirituality and closeness to God - he needs to check himself first, not blame the sister for 'attracting attention' as her dress has nothing whatsoever to do with his own purification of self and soul.

To the OP, here's a good piece that I think will be of some use hopefully:

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-stud...o-honor-women/

Qurratul Ayn
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
^ :jz:

The article was interesting, Brother Muraad and Al7ahmdulliah, I've found the answers I've been looking and shall relay it back to the person who queried me

:jz: to all you Brothers & Sisters, your help was truly amazing, and I am grateful for it

And hopefully, you all learnt something too

May Allaah keep you all in the best of health, Imaan and may you all achieve everything that you wish to achieve

:jz: once again

dqsunday
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
If a man cannot lower his gaze, then the fault is on him and is a problem in his spirituality and closeness to God - he needs to check himself first, not blame the sister for 'attracting attention' as her dress has nothing whatsoever to do with his own purification of self and soul.
Very true. Afterall, most of us Brothers and Sisters don't live in complete Islamic states/countries or even communities. Being a revert I have to guard my gaze and lower it far more, never really noticing before how much I took in when it came to the immodesty of others. Men walking around shirtless, (though some are far easier to look away from than others), wearing clothing that would barely be considered proper for men...and women, well I am sure anybody who has visited or lives in a Western Country, know how they tend to dress in the summer. Lowering the gaze is very much a matter of self discipline.

We Sisters dress modestly because Allah commands and we don't want to be gawked at by non believers or, Allah forbid, our Brothers in Islam who fail to lower their gaze.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!