/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Justin1
07-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Hello. I am a new member to this forum. I am happy to be on here and hope I can learn and meet new people and discover interesting things. I will tell a little about myself.

I am currently living in the United States, Which is where I am from. for the last few weeks I have been studying Islam and Muslims. I used to be a Catholic, however I do not believe I will be following that any longer. I want to become a Muslim. I have attempted to say the Shahadah, but I feel I am not saying it with 100% sincerity. I am trying to learn the prayers at this time. It is difficult simply because I have not ever tried to speak any Arabic. I think I will get the hang of it eventually. Other then that, there's really nothing else to say about me. Thank you for taking the time to read this. does anyone have any advice for me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tigerkhan
07-02-2012, 01:47 AM
:welcome:

dqsunday
07-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Brother Justin1. Being a recent revert myself (I was a Roman Catholic all my life up to about mid March of this year) I certainly understand how overwhelming the all the material of Islam can be. Don't worry too much about learning Arabic, you do end up picking it in time anyway. You can find many English translations of the Holy Qur'an and the prayers. Focus on learning the general meaning and once you are comfortable you can start learning the Arabic transliterations. For now, read through as much as this forum as possible, the New to Islam/New Muslim area is great to find the old posts/stickied which contain tons of beneficial info for those new to Islam or wanting to refresh their knowledge.

Every time I feel overwhelmed with all the information, I remember what people here and in my local Mosque have recommended. Take baby steps, and things will go much easier.

Myself, I focused on reading through the Qur'an at least once, and the actual prayer/salat format. I picked one of the 5 daily prayers and simply spent a few weeks getting used to praying that prayer on time, then added the rest of them. The format of the prayers is pretty much the same, with a few differences.

We are all here to help out and answer any questions you may have. It can get frustrating but remembering to just take things one at a time..its less stressful.

dysphoricrocker
07-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Salaam brother Justin.

It's very heartwarming to hear that you have intention of becoming a Muslim. Alhamdulillah.

My advice to you would be to read the Quran and understand it. And of course learn the 5 prayers as it's among the most important pillars of Islam. Everything else, take it step by step. Do not have the thinking that you have to learn everything at one go. I always do things in this order and if you want, you may adopt this too.

Learn, understand and practice.

This means, you learn something, you understand why you do it and you practice it. For example, you have just learnt about salah. You should then understand why Muslims have to pray, for this will make you in sincere in doing it. Thereafter, you practice it. This is just as important as the first two points. Alot of people make the mistake of seeking knowledge but not doing it. So yeah, my advice would be learn, understand and practice.

Just a point to note, i was a born Muslim so my advice may not be the best advice for you. This is just an opinion. There are alot of converts here alhamdulillah and i am sure they will help you more than i ever could.

InsyaAllah brother, Allah will guide you through slow but surely. May Allah make it easy for you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qurratul Ayn
07-02-2012, 07:03 AM
:salamext:

Assalamu 3Alaikum Wa Ra7matullai Wa Barakatuh

Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allaah and His blessings

Welcome to the forum!!!

Insha'Allaah (God-willing) you shall learn a lot on this forum and find it very beneficial too

Hulk
07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the forum justin1! All I can say is pace yourself in learning. The arabic probably sounds difficult right now but trust me once you get a hang of it you will see that it is actually easier to memorize than in English. I would suggest that you try to join an actual class on Islam as I think that would be the best form of learning.

Knowledge is very important in Islam and Islamic knowledge itself is plenty.. The more you learn the firmer your faith will be InshaAllah. But do remember that we have to take the proper "steps" in learning, not "skip ahead". That could ruin our ability to learn. Anyway, enjoy!

Signor
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi Justin......I hope you are not Justin Beiber;Djk

Welcome To IB,Hope We will Learn from Each Other

Justin1
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I thank all of you for welcoming me so warmly to this forum. I currently am practicing the prayers, and hope to memorize them by next week. I am excited to be entering the Islamic faith, and hope eventually I can greet newcomers as all of you have welcomed me recently. Thank you again.

Periwinkle18
07-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the forum :) hope you learn lots n lots frm here :)

Abz2000
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
peace be upon you brother :)
it's nice to c more and more people research and accept the truth despite all the stuff they hear from the leaders.
may Allah bring you much guidance thru the wonderful brothers and sisters here,
and may He one day make you a source of guidance for others.

for now, i would recommend the meaning of the quran (least brackets as possible).
and that you read the life story of the Prophet pbuh.

here's one i really liked:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

جوري
07-03-2012, 01:04 AM
:welcome: aboard.. enjoy your stay with us.. :)

Abdul-Raouf
07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
:)

Hold the rope of Islam....You will succeed...InshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!