/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ornament Topic

GuestFellow
07-08-2012, 11:27 PM
:sl:

I like collecting ornaments but I need to be careful. Some ornaments are not permissible to keep in Islam.

So what type of ornaments do you like? Here's mine:

1. Dagger
2. Letter opener knife
3. Hourglass
4. Dark Castle
5. Ruined ship

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dqsunday
07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
I am not sure what you mean by 'ornament'. pendants, necklaces, charms? Or things to set on the table or wall as decor?

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
I am not sure what you mean by 'ornament'. pendants, necklaces, charms? Or things to set on the table or wall as decor?
An ornament is an object used to adorn something but usually having no practical purpose. So it could be anything. I personally like collecting revolvers too.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
i like pretty much most glass sculptures, flowers, vases etc

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle18
07-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I like the hourglass I have one. I like collecting sea shells.

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM

This is another fav ornament of mine. :/ I really like plasma balls.

~Zaria~
07-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Assalam-alaikum,

Is there any particular reason why you enjoy collecting ornaments?

If it does not serve any practical purpose, then why collect it?

Maaf for asking.....I just wonder about the reasons behind this interest......

:wa:

dqsunday
07-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I do know what the dictionary definition of 'ornament' is... but I don't know if you meant miniature type things, as I wouldn't call knives and guns 'ornaments'. What you seem to mean however, are more sculpture and collectables.

Collection wise, I used to collect dragons of all sorts, (mostly miniatures that you can assemble and paint yourself but lately the Tod McFadden Dragons), comics, non sport cards and a few other odds in ends. Now that I reverted to Islam, I doubt I can keep the dragons so most likely some time later this summer, going to sell it all in a big garage sale.

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I do know what the dictionary definition of 'ornament' is... but I don't know if you meant miniature type things, as I wouldn't call knives and guns 'ornaments'. What you seem to mean however, are more sculpture and collectables.

Collection wise, I used to collect dragons of all sorts, (mostly miniatures that you can assemble and paint yourself but lately the Tod McFadden Dragons), comics, non sport cards and a few other odds in ends. Now that I reverted to Islam, I doubt I can keep the dragons so most likely some time later this summer, going to sell it all in a big garage sale.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...t_1?q=ornament

an object which is beautiful rather than useful

Beauty is purely subjective. I actually like knives and guns. They look nice to me. Whatever you may call it, it has to look nice to me.

I don't have big ornaments or objects since they are expensive.

I even have a safe box that is apparently rare.

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Assalam-alaikum,

Is there any particular reason why you enjoy collecting ornaments?

If it does not serve any practical purpose, then why collect it?

Maaf for asking.....I just wonder about the reasons behind this interest......

I just like collecting objects/ornaments that look nice. I don't know why. It's quite an innocent hobby than compared to other activities.

I even bought an antique vase, very nice.

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 09:31 PM

I have not been completely honest. The main reason why I collect stuff because I feel lonely at times and need something to do. When I'm older, I want to look at these objects and help me to remind about the good times I had.

Qurratul Ayn
07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
The main reason why I collect stuff because I feel lonely at times
Why don't you do something? like sports?

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 10:00 PM
^ Asslamu Aliakum,

Not to turn the topic into something about myself, but I really don't like playing sports. I do exercise, but sports is kinda boring, with the exception of swimming.

ardianto
07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
The main reason why I collect stuff because I feel lonely at times and need something to do.
Need something to do?. Why don't you make/create something that can become your ornament?. Create something by you hand will give you better satisfaction than buy from store.

Also, it's good to maintain your creativity.

dqsunday
07-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Being somebody who's collected all kinds of stuff in her youth, it doesn't make one any less lonely or really remember all that many good times. What I really remember is the good times I had with friends. The objects are just taking up space. This is something I really started to realize after I reverted to Islam...all the items that used to give me pleasure to look at, or hold etc. (my many dragon figures, even painting them, etc. ) no longer appeal to me at all. I just want to get rid of it all, though I don't want to just toss it into the trash, as it does have some value. Hence why I hope to just sell it all in a garage sale (too much a hassle to sell it on Ebay or try and find buyers...then the matter of shipping etc.)

Snowflake
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
it doesn't make one any less lonely
A very good point sis dqSunday.

Everybody likes a few nice ornaments, but I sincerely would not encourage ornament collecting. One day you'll need a house just to accommodate them all. I like what brother Ardianto said about making your own and even selling them for some extra cash. :)

Periwinkle18
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I like making Stuff I don't sell them though :p

GuestFellow
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Need something to do?. Why don't you make/create something that can become your ornament?. Create something by you hand will give you better satisfaction than buy from store.

Also, it's good to maintain your creativity.

I don't like making stuff.

Being somebody who's collected all kinds of stuff in her youth, it doesn't make one any less lonely or really remember all that many good times.

We're not the same. I feel less lonely when I have something to do. Collecting ornaments is one of the things I do. It makes me happy as well.

Endymion
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I collect whatever i like no matter if its a cute turnip :statisfie

Snowflake
07-10-2012, 07:28 PM
^Take me sis. I can sit in one place for so long I start looking like an ornament :p

Endymion
07-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Yup yup yup,come i'll take good care of you :statisfie

~Zaria~
07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

I have not been completely honest. The main reason why I collect stuff because I feel lonely at times and need something to do. When I'm older, I want to look at these objects and help me to remind about the good times I had.

One of the reasons why we feel the need to collect things, may stem from another deeper need that we are trying to compensate for.

In your case, it is loneliness.

Whatever the reason may be - we should realise that nothing in this material world will ever fully suffice.
We will always be left wanting more.

The search for another item, and another - can consume ones life, and more importantly, it distracts you away from the remembrance of Allah (subhanawataála).

Remember: Whatever attaches your heart to this world - is a means of detaching your heart from Allah.
And conversely, the closer you become to your Rabb, the more detached you are from this world.

On the authority of Ibn 'Umar, radiyallahu 'anhuma, who said: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, took me by the shoulder and said:

"Be in this world as though you were a traveller or a stranger"

[Al-Bukhari]

--> a stranger is one who feels unsettled wherever he goes. He will continue to do so till he reaches his home; paradise.

--> a traveller is one who is usually light in possession. The lighter his bags, the easier is his journey.
Think about this.

All our material possessions mean absolutely nothing - when we consider the real purpose of our lives: We have been created for the worship of Allah, for His meeting and for our final destination - Al-Aakhirah.
Nothing else should (really) matter.

Consider too, how many times the word 'amusement' is used in relation to this dunya in the Quraan:

What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the home in the hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will ye not then understand?
( سورة الأنعام , Al-Anaam, Chapter #6, Verse #32)

Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children.
Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of Allah). And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception?

( سورة الحديد , Al-Hadid, Chapter #57, Verse #20)

-> 9 times in 8 different verses.

Allah, in His mercy, is warning us of the deception of this world, over and over again.

We need to take heed.

-Start by taking company of those whose hearts are throbbing with their love for Allah (subhanawataála) and his nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam).
-Read Quraan (with translation) frequently.
-Try to remember Allah (zikr) as often as possible - when we walk, why do our lips not move in praise of Him?......when we are at work/ with our families/ at home.

We should be in this world.
But, as if we are not in this world.

Our bodies are here.
But our minds and hearts are longing for our next life.

ardianto
07-11-2012, 08:31 AM
If collecting stuff could relieve loneliness, I didn't need to get married. :D

aadil77
07-11-2012, 09:10 AM

I like collecting ornaments but I need to be careful. Some ornaments are not permissible to keep in Islam.

So what type of ornaments do you like? Here's mine:

1. Dagger
2. Letter opener knife
3. Hourglass
4. Dark Castle
5. Ruined ship
looks like someones been playing to much prince of persia

GuestFellow
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~

One of the reasons why we feel the need to collect things, may stem from another deeper need that we are trying to compensate for.

It's something to do. It's called a hobby. I'm not some tragic human being who suffering to the extent where I pour all my effort and soul into collecting objects into hoping that I do not become sad and miserable. :/ We all have to do something, otherwise we get lonely/bored. Some people hang around with their friends. Some go shopping. Some eat. Some go on the Internet. Some play sports. Others read books. I sometimes collect ornaments.

I also like putting all the ornaments together, looks so cool. :/

Now enough about me!

ORNAMENTS! DISCUSS!

:wa:[/QUOTE]

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
looks like someones been playing to much prince of persia

Prince of Persia is so awesome. :/

I even have some guns as ornaments...of course without the bullets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indoor-Table..._sim_sbs_kh_13

^ That is so awesome. I have to buy that once I save up.

aadil77
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM

I even have some guns as ornaments...of course without the bullets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indoor-Table..._sim_sbs_kh_13

^ That is so awesome. I have to buy that once I save up.
I'm more into gadgets, like high power laser pens, led torches, jet lighters, rc helicopters, car models

I had this really powerful pellet gun but it broke, might get myself a paintball gun

GuestFellow
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I'm more into gadgets, like high power laser pens, led torches, jet lighters, rc helicopters, car models

I had this really powerful pellet gun but it broke, might get myself a paintball gun
Asslamu Aliakum,

What type of car models? I mean what brand?

Periwinkle18
07-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Paint ball is so much fun :p I like collecting stuff tht would later on help me make something :p

aadil77
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Asslamu Aliakum,

What type of car models? I mean what brand?
wsalam

can't remember, its was an f1 car model

Amat Allah
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
What I like:

Swords, old ornamented guns, old cars, crystal and glass sculptures, porcelain and pottery, old ornamented wooden boxes which have secret places and drawers,old pocket watches, pearls (black ones the most), gemstones, seashells, colored stones, ornamented daggers and knives, old silver jewelry, candles, old perfume bottles, old brushes and mirrors, fossils, telescopes, magnifying glasses,national geography journals, science and medical journals (not all kind), kids short stories, origami, old maps, lanterns ,flowers and nature paintings and everything old and beautiful.

some things which you may feel that it is weird to like:

Stethoscope, laboratory tubes, glass slides, injections, dissection kit, speculum, color pencils and all kinds of colors, erasers, pens and pencils .

and still there are many things...

Endymion
07-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Woha,with Ami's collection,we can successfully make "Chronicles of Narnia part 4" :D

GuestFellow
07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah

What I like:

Swords, old ornamented guns, old cars, crystal and glass sculptures, porcelain and pottery, old ornamented wooden boxes which have secret places and drawers,old pocket watches, pearls (black ones the most), gemstones, seashells, colored stones, ornamented daggers and knives, old silver jewelry, candles, old perfume bottles, old brushes and mirrors, fossils, telescopes, magnifying glasses,national geography journals, science and medical journals (not all kind), kids short stories, origami, old maps, lanterns ,flowers and nature paintings and everything old and beautiful.

some things which you may feel that it is weird to like:

Stethoscope, laboratory tubes, glass slides, injections, dissection kit, speculum, color pencils and all kinds of colors, erasers, pens and pencils .

and still there are many things...

Any ideas where you can buy pure silver?

Musaafirah
07-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't really like the whole ornaments thing in my room, though I have what would be considered as 'ornaments', presents I have received.
Ornamentally, I like canvases, with quotes and phrases, with abstract backgrounds or shot up flowers. (Read as fully blown up flowers, man, I'm not explaining myself)
And books. Lots and lots of books.

Qurratul Ayn
07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
And books. Lots and lots of books.
I'm with you there Sister Musaafirah

I love books, maps, letters; especially if it's old, first edition or special editions

It's history right there; if it weren't for books, then we would not have knowledge of the world's history (not including pre-historic :))

Amat Allah
07-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Wa Alikum Assalaamu Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

Any ideas where you can buy pure silver?
what I know that there are special jewelry shops for selling silver jewelry only and for the pure silver then you will find it there but as ingots (I am talking about jewelry places in Saudi), this is what I know and Allah knows the best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!