/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Finding employment

Salahudeen
07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
I've just finished university, I managed to get a 1st alhamdulilah but I'm still finding it hard to get a job, I've applied for so many jobs via emailing my CV through job sites but haven't received any call backs :hmm: anyone want to share some tips?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Masha Allah@getting a 1st!

Have you considered self employment?

Asiyah3
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I've just finished university,
Al-hamdulillah. Congratulations!!

I managed to get a 1st alhamdulilah but I'm still finding it hard to get a job, I've applied for so many jobs via emailing my CV through job sites but haven't received any call backs :hmm: anyone want to share some tips?
If you know some graduated students, maybe you could ask how they went about it? Or calling the places you applied to, and ask them directly what you are missing?

dqsunday
07-10-2012, 07:19 AM
persistence pays off. Also, don't just limit yourself to posted job ads. Often companies don't advertise or only do so internally. If you are interested in a specific field of work (say, Information Technology) check the websites of all the companies in your area or the city you would like to work in. Often their websites will list job openings or contact people. Sometimes sending resumes or just letters of introduction inquiring about future jobs, can get you noticed. Business newspapers are helpful, as they announce company growths/plans... if some company, say Mining, just recently expanded or received some grant to develop in an area, and you are interested in the mining industry, checking the website and sending a resume, could get you a job down the road, when they start 'using' that grant money.

Your University should also have advice and resources on how to find a job, how to build a good resume, interview skills etc. Also, look into any government sponsored job finding initiatives. Often, as a student, the government will pay the company who hires a student, a percentage of their wage, to encourage companies to hire students who won't have experience. This will give you on the job experience and often the company may hire you after the grant period expires. Be weary of companies with a high turnover rate, as they may just hire students and let them go as soon as they no longer qualify for any subsidy, to avoid having to pay out of their own pocket. Unless the particular job industry (ie call center) normally has a high turnover rate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
07-10-2012, 10:01 AM
How about applying with Birmingham City Council? You get lots of networking jobs in schools, hospitals, offices etc. Oh and if you can drive you get a company car too!

Salahudeen
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
JazakAllah khair for all the replies, I tried applying with them for a ICT Technician in a school, they told me I passed the interview and the written/practical test however another candidate had more hands on experience and that's why they chose him over me. :\

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Just keep trying, make dua and be patient. :hmm:

And you finished 1st, right so havent you considered campus recruitment? I believe, it is the easiest way to get placed if you have good grades. I hd good grades but did not apply for the campus recruitment.

Salahudeen
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
^What is campus recruitment bro?? Do you mean ask the university to find me a job??

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
^ Yes, the companies come to the university to recruit students...:hmm:

GuestFellow
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Asslamu Aliakum,

You now need to develop practical skills and experience. This is the next stage. Volunteer. Show potential employers that you are making use of your time. I worked at a charity shop whilst looking for work and I received many positive responses. I also developed numerous skills and basically was managing several paid employees, even though I was a volunteer. :hmm: Anyway, I managed to get a job in accounts/finance by showing the employer that I have transferable skills.

Learn another language.

Improve your CV.

Apply for jobs outside your area of study. My background is customer service and law. Now it's accounts and working towards becoming a Chartered Accountant. Your skills will be highly valuable in accounts. Learn bookkeeping and preparing accounts. AAT qualification will be the best for you. If you are interested in studying at a higher level, consider ACCA. Let me know if you want more information.

Try cold calling.

Try networking. Meet people around universities, attend seminars and get to know people. Who knows, you may even find someone that might offer you a position or something.

Don't focus all your energy on jobsites. You will have a hard time competing against experience applicants.

ardianto
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
:sl:

I give "like" to Tragic Typos's post because what he has said is right.

I've rejected some job seekers without consider further because I found they didn't have working activity although they had been graduated for almost two years, even almost four years. I need employees who have initiative, not passive people who do something only when the boss order them.

Working experience is important factor that make you valuable or not valuable in the company eyes. Not related with the offered position is still okay. Companies not always looking for employee with specific experience.

So, do not only send CV and spend the time at home. Try to work voluntary or become freelance worker. Do not thinking if you work voluntary or become freelance worker you will only get tired without money. There are two benefits if you work voluntary or become freelance worker before you get a regular job. First, you can write something in CV that make you valuable. Second, you will always in "ready to work" condition. It's really help you in interview.

However, do not lie with write "I worked as ... I worked at ..." in CV but you were actually just stay at home. Interviewer will know it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!