/* */

PDA

View Full Version : He does not have a beard.

dysphoricrocker
07-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Salaam my dearest brothers and sisters in Islam.

I have a friend, who is facially hairless, or should i say, his moustache and beard barely grows(not visible even at close range). He asked me yesterday if he could take some methods t enhance the growth of his beard, to make it full and thick as this is what he wants. And he says the only reason for this is to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet and the pious people of the past and present.

The question is, can he? Can he "force" a beard to grow? I have always thought that changing yourself from what Allah has made you to be is Haram. But in this case, he is doing it for the sake of following the Sunnah.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all in advance (:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
07-12-2012, 03:45 AM
As far as I know there is no way to force a beard to grow. The only way is to wait and see if it is in your genes. For some people the beard grows when they are older in life.

dysphoricrocker
07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
As far as I know there is no way to force a beard to grow.
What if there was a way? Would it then be allowed to do so?

I have heard of some traditional methods that can be used to grow a beard. Not sure how true it is, but i just needed to know if it's permissible to use such methods, provided they even exist.

ardianto
07-12-2012, 04:54 AM
:sl:

He has an intention to follow sunnah to grow beard, but he cannot grow his beard.

He does not need to force himself to grow his beard. I have heard many times from Islamic teachers in my place, if we have intention but we always have problem to carry out our intention, until we die, we still get reward.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dysphoricrocker
07-12-2012, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
He does not need to force himself to grow his beard. I have heard many times from Islamic teachers in my place, if we have intention but we always have problem to carry out our intention, until we die, we still get reward.
Is there any hadith regarding this? So that i may show it to him and make it easy on him doing unncecessary things to himself.

Thank you all for the responses (:

dqsunday
07-12-2012, 06:54 AM
I would just have your friend to leave his beard be. If it grows out, it will, Inshallah. He won't be doing anything wrong. Not all people grow big thick beards. Orientals don't seem to get the thick beards most Westerners grow, so if Allah hasn't give him a thick lush beard to grow in time, then he's not required to use tonics or other 'stimulants' to cause his beard to grow. The Sunnah is more to not cut/shave the beard off, just trim when and where needed (upper lip I believe, so the moustage doesn't overhang the lip)

http://www.islamhelpline.net/node/3278 (scroll down to Q-3) supports this.

dysphoricrocker
07-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Thank you sister dqsunday! Fully understood.

ardianto
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Is there any hadith regarding this? So that i may show it

to him and make it easy on him doing unncecessary things to himself.

Thank you all for the responses (:
I will explain why I gave that answer.

Ulama in my place always say, if we have intention to do something that rewarded, but we cannot implement our intention because we always get uzur (barrier), and later we die before we can do our intention, we still get reward.

This is hadith that becomes their daleel.

Abu Abdillah, Abdillah bin Jabir al-Ansari RA narrated, "We were with Rasulullah Muhammad (saw) in a war (War of Tabuk), and then he said, 'In Madinah there are a number of men, you are not traveling or passing through the valley, unless they are with you . They held (at home) because of illness."

Imam Bukhari also told this hadith from sanad of Anas RA.

And there is complementary for this hadith from another riwayah which became the main daleel for ulama to say that statement.

They get a reward as you (Muslim)

Now about why I said "He does not need to force himself to grow his beard".

First. Maybe method that he will use to grow his beard can harm him like cause alergic. And Muslim should avoid harm themselves.

Second. There was a case that similar like your friend case. And the answer was: If you cannot grow your beard, it's okay. (I heard it from a lecture, there's no written documentation that I can show you).

How to say to your friend?. Reference fro sister dqsunday is enough, I think. But if he still worry or afraid, bring him to an ustadz who you know.

FatimaSumayia
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
First of all, we don’t really have a good understanding of it ourselves. So we are dealing with it and what happens, any time you have a problem yourself, you are very defensive and self-conscious and defensive about it. For instance the beard. Do men in Islam grow beards? Are they suppose to? So I get a question, he comes to me and say, “sheik, do Muslims have to grow the beard?” I tell them, “No. Not the women,”. They don't have to grown the beard. Can a woman grow a beard? No. That's silly, isn't it? So we say, Okay; Do Muslim men have to grow the beard? No. As a matter of fact they can't. If a woman can’t grow her beard a man can't grow his either, can he? Can you? Go ahead, let's watch. Now you got the idea, didn't you? Allah is the one who grows your beard, yes or no? Yes. And it’s Allah who told you to follow Mohammad (Peace and blessings be upon him). And Mohammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) told you don't cut it off. Now there is the subject, isn’t it. It's not growing it, it's cutting it off. You don't grow it. He (Peace and blessings be upon him) said leave the beard. He didn't say grow it, he said leave it. Because if you leave it alone and it doesn’t grow, you’re not in trouble with Allah, are you? No. But if you cut it, then you disobey the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him). These people who shave everything off and leave one little tiny street down the side, like the stripes on a racing car, that’s a racing beard, or a little hanging down at the bottom, like a billy goat. You've seen this? You think it’s cool? I don’t know. I hope Allah doesn’t throw us in the fire for stuff like this, but it is not right to disobey the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him).

found it from a website .. hope it helps

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!