/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Home Remedies

patientgrace
07-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Home remedies are passed down usually from generations and things our parents did.

Does anyone have any home remedies that they would like to share?

I am a big believer in chicken soup! :) It will cure anything (even a bad day) :p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
07-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Baking soda as toothpaste works quite well though its been a while since I used it :)

patientgrace
07-12-2012, 05:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Baking soda as toothpaste works quite well though its been a while since I used it :)
I have done that before too. It also helps teeth become white if you add just a bit of peroxide. The peroxide also helps fight germs that are in the root and hidden between teeth where the brush cannot reach.

dysphoricrocker
07-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Salaam.

I do not think this is passed down from generations, but my mum always takes her panadol/paracetamol with coca cola. Works wonders.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
patientgrace
07-12-2012, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Salaam.

I do not think this is passed down from generations, but my mum always takes her panadol/paracetamol with coca cola. Works wonders.
As-Salamu Alaykum!

Thank you for sharing, and do not worry about the generation thing. I was implying that we all learn from someone else :)

Feel free to share whatever you would like!

White Rose
07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Bump. I would like to know as well.

Endymion
07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Alum for acne and mouth infections :thumbs_up

White Rose
07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
Alum for acne and mouth infections
What is Alum? :ooh:

Endymion
07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Alum is alum shishti :hmm: we call it "phitkaree" over here.Here it is.

dqsunday
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
a little white vinegar mixed iwth water, best window cleaner around... Raw vineger left in a wide open bowl, great room deordorizer too, especially smoke (ie if you have a smoker in the house)

IbnAbdulHakim
07-13-2012, 08:27 PM
^ im using lemon with sugar for my acne scarring. seems to be working (altho im not really that scarred lol)

and I use honey as a natural skin moisturiser

White Rose
07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Alum is alum shishti we call it "phitkaree" over here.Here it is.
Is it found in grocery stores? How does one use it?

White Rose
07-13-2012, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
im using lemon with sugar for my acne scarring. seems to be working (altho im not really that scarred lol)

and I use honey as a natural skin moisturiser
I thought lemon makes the skin worse because it is strong. :ooh:

format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
a little white vinegar mixed iwth water, best window cleaner around... Raw vineger left in a wide open bowl, great room deordorizer too, especially smoke (ie if you have a smoker in the house)
Never knew that. Always learn something new.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-13-2012, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arjmand
I thought lemon makes the skin worse because it is strong. :ooh:

hm well im past the acne phase of my life and im kind of just exfoliating and letting it heal now. it is strong but my skin seems to be reacting will to it at the moment. If you have active cuts/acne it might not be such a good idea.

Endymion
07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I read about this lemon and sugar remedy but didn't tried it.Alum worked for me like a miracle as i have had the worst acne one could even imagine +o( Its easy to find alum i think,may be you should search a Pakistani grocery store.The use is real easy.Take a large piece of alum,rub it on an uneven surface till its surface become plain and smooth,its ready to use now.Rinse it with normal tap water and rub softly on acne.You can do it as many times as you want and you don't have to hide your face if guests attack your house surprisingly as its almost transparent :statisfie

White Rose
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I read about this lemon and sugar remedy but didn't tried it.Alum worked for me like a miracle as i have had the worst acne one could even imagine +o( Its easy to find alum i think,may be you should search a Pakistani grocery store.The use is real easy.Take a large piece of alum,rub it on an uneven surface till its surface become plain and smooth,its ready to use now.Rinse it with normal tap water and rub softly on acne.You can do it as many times as you want and you don't have to hide your face if guests attack your house surprisingly as its almost transparent :statisfie
Jazak Allah for the info sishy. :statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
hm well im past the acne phase of my life and im kind of just exfoliating and letting it heal now. it is strong but my skin seems to be reacting will to it at the moment. If you have active cuts/acne it might not be such a good idea.
Ah, makes sense.

dqsunday
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Alum is alum shishti we call it "phitkaree" over here.Here it is.
Chemically it is called Potassium Alum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_alum Seems to be used to make an East Indian treat... from what I have researched.

For acne I also believe mixing a bit of water and baking soda and rubbed over the affected areas is good too. You can also buy a bath scrub made from sea salt mixed with olive oil. I expect one can make it themselves just by buying sea salt crystals at the bulkstore and some olive oil from the grocery store. Add some salt in a bag (like a sandwich sized zip lock bag) say half cup salt to tablespoon oil? I never tired mixing this but it should still be very solid when mixed, not liquid. You then just scrub your body with it in a bathtub then rinse. Good for over all skin health.

White Rose
07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
For acne I also believe mixing a bit of water and baking soda and rubbed over the affected areas is good too. You can also buy a bath scrub made from sea salt mixed with olive oil.
You know, I have never tried olive oil because I think oil only clogs the pores even more? I think olive oil is good for people who don't have acne problems, I could be wrong.

Ramadan90
07-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Warm water and lemon. You should drink it first thing in the morning. Glowing and clear skin!(along with your skin care regimen) :D

sister herb
07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
If your skin is too dry olive oil makes it more soft, specially elbows. Olive oil is also good after bath for skin.

Hulk
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
If I follow all the advice on this thread I think I will be a very good looking man with very clear windows.

White Rose
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
Warm water and lemon. You should drink it first thing in the morning. Glowing and clear skin!(along with your skin care regimen)
Honey plus water in the morning is also good and is good for cleansing the body. I don't know if it makes your skin glow though.

and :lol: Brother Hulk, wouldn't you like that?

Endymion
07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
And oh,i forgot to tell you people about another use of this amazing thing.Alum for body odor.Just like you have to use it on your acne,the same way you have to rub it on your body after bath and you'll see that no matter how sweaty you are,it will be odor less Inshallah :)

sister herb
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
You can remove smell and color from thermos bottles and jugs you have used for coffee or tea when fill them by warm (not hot) water and add 1 teaspoon baking soda and keep it there over night.

Ramadan90
07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arjmand
Honey plus water in the morning is also good and is good for cleansing the body. I don't know if it makes your skin glow though.

and :lol: Brother Hulk, wouldn't you like that?
That is why I wrote " Along with your skin care regimen". ;D

Ramadan90
07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Alum is alum shishti :hmm: we call it "phitkaree" over here.Here it is.

It looks like ice.:D

Amat Allah
07-14-2012, 03:17 PM
[honey+lemon] for coughing.
[boiled mint] for troubled digestive system.
[boiled anise] to get rid of gases.
[boiled cinnamon] to relief the pain of menstruation (drinking it before menses comes with one week makes wonders, Sub'haan Allah) and also to ease labor.
[fresh ripe-dates] to ease labor.
[ginger] amazing for coughing and throat sore (and other things which I shy mentioning here)
[yoghurt],[potatoe] or both; to get rid of diarrhea.
[dates],[orange as a fruit or as a fresh juice] to get rid of constipation.
[carrot or carrot juice] to relief heartburns and also stomach pain.
[honey] amazing medicine for inflammation and with orange juice it causes diarrhea.

btw, anything acidic causes ya diarrhea if drinking it before eating breakfast and not all acidic things are good to be taking on an empty tummy cause that may hurt it badly.

those what I have remembered in shaa Allah will come back with more later.

Ali137
07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Ginger is great when you are ill

Endymion
07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
It looks like ice
We don't have that crystal clear alum over here.It looks a bit dirty :hmm:

format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
[honey+lemon] for coughing.
[boiled mint] for troubled digestive system.
[boiled anise] to get rid of gases.
[boiled cinnamon] to relief the pain of menstruation (drinking it before menses comes with one week makes wonders, Sub'haan Allah) and also to ease labor.
[fresh ripe-dates] to ease labor.
[ginger] amazing for coughing and throat sore (and other things which I shy mentioning here)
[yoghurt],[potatoe] or both; to get rid of diarrhea.
[dates],[orangeas a fruit or as a fresh juice] to get rid of constipation.
[carrot or carrot juice] to relief heartburns and also stomach pain.
[honey] amazing medicine for inflammation and with orange juice it causes diarrhea.

btw, anything acidic causes ya diarrhea if drinking it before eating breakfast and not all acidic things are good to be taking on an empty tummy cause that may hurt it badly.

those what I have rememberedin shaa Allah will come back with more later.
Kids,you are gonna be okay now Granny Endy and Granny Ami both are in the house :D

White Rose
07-14-2012, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali137
Ginger is great when you are ill
Ginger with cinnamon, black tea and honey is an amazing cure for when you have a sore throat or flu. It works far better than the synthetic medicines.

Endymion
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Ginger juice with honey and black pepper is amazing for flu,sore throat and bad cough.(And that disgusting thing come out with cough dunno what to call it in English but i just hate it Astaghferollah +o( )

Haya emaan
07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
black tea with honey early morning for very bad cough works for me..

Amat Allah
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
.(And that disgusting thing come out with cough dunno what to call it in English but i just hate it Astaghferollah )
Phlegm

Endymion
07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Amiii :enough!:

Kei
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
The best thing you can do is drink lots of water to flush everything unwanted out of the system. Just keep a glass of water by you at all times and sip every few minutes. Should get at least 8 glasses down you in no time!

Honeyed water, with ginger, lemon, cardamon, cinnamon etc [as mentioned by somebody above], is fantastic for sore throats, cough's and flu's too.

Lemsip works just as well, good for earaches, too.

Coconut oil in your hair! Leave it in for about an hour then wash it out, should get rid of dryness. Also wash hair with cold water if you can bear it! Warm can damage the hair follicles.

;D

ILuvAllah
07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I don know where to start on it cause once i start i wouldnt finish. lol.

Riana17
07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Salam All

I just read somewhere that drinking water with some lemon drops daily can cure many things, can cleanse body.

In Lebanon it is famous when you have a running nose to drop a lemon juice (pure or mixed with little water) to your nose and people swear within 2-3days of applying twice daily, the Nose will run, lool, I mean the Flu

Serendipity
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
olive oil always done wonders to my hair

Scimitar
07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
turmeric... my grandma says it heals everything :D

sister herb
07-31-2012, 06:27 PM
^ Isn´t it that spice what makes fingers yellow? Did she also tell how to get that color away from fingers?

;D

Hulk
07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I recently read somewhere that 'witch hazel' is good for acne. Give it a try to those who might have some acne issues..

Kei
08-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Fennel seeds aka Jumen for the Urdu speakers :statisfie
My Gran has been raving about these for years, telling me to chew em cos they'll keep me healthy ;D, but I never did cos the taste is so blerghhh.
Looked up their health benefits a while ago, pretty lengthy list!
Worth having a pinch of these every other day, :3

Scimitar
08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
^ Isn´t it that spice what makes fingers yellow? Did she also tell how to get that color away from fingers?

;D
Turns whatever part it is applied to - yellow. I mean, people would think you got Jaundice, right? :D

Scimi

Serendipity
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
turmeric... my grandma says it heals everything :D
I once done a tumeric face mask got stains all over my clothes :|

Pure Purple
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Is there any home remedy to prevent burning sensation in my fingers after mixing spices,it worse than burning due to heat.Every time I mix spices and I experience same burning sensation and it persist up to 1-2 hours.

Serendipity
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
^
Put it in some ice or cold water?

Pure Purple
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StarDust
Put it in some ice or cold water?
sister It doesn't work,as soon I remove my hand it burns profoundly.

Hulk
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
try milk sis..

Scimitar
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
some paint stripper may remove the residue from the spices off your fingers...

Scimi

Insaanah
08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
:sl:

(And that disgusting thing come out with cough dunno what to call it in English but i just hate it Astaghferollah )
Did you know it's called Balgham in Arabic too?

format_quote Originally Posted by Kei
Fennel seeds aka Jumen for the Urdu speakers
Fennel seeds are called saunf in Urdu. They taste nice, especially if you get the thin ones, and are used as a natural breath freshener.

Haven't heard of Jumen before.

جوري
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
for motion sickness this works for me.
one double espresso with no hint of sugar alone with a Dramamine They've to be taken together. The espresso rids of the headache that is a usual side effect of the Dramamine and somehow just balances it.
It is the only recipe I have found that gets rid of everything one shot.. wish I can find something to work for migraines this well..

h-n
09-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Olive oil

Personally has cured chapped hands (after spending too much time with washing etc). So no longer have to find the best cream.

Also helps to warm overworked muscles, so good in winter too.

There are many olive oils out there, but any will do, the less refined the better.

Passed down

Black seed oil

Been told works for upset stomach, acid reflux as it strengthens the stomach area.

Milk and tumeric

This is to strengthen the bones, best to warm the milk add tumeric (up to you how much, as its not spicy). Tumeric may rest at the bottom so need to use spoon when drinking the milk.

jameelash
09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
salam,if the lime is dry either put in hotwater or micro for 30 seconds.limejuice will be flowing

u burnt ur hands whilecooking?apply tooth paste over it.no pain no mark

kitchen sink basin taps dirty.clean it with baking soda.

kids urinated on the bed.first mop and clean the portion with water.then sprinkle with baking soda lavishly.the matress will be dried quickly with no traces of urin smell

i gurentee that all the tips r tested and satified

straightpath1
09-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Milk mixed with honey on skin works really well
Baking soda mixed with water works as a great exfoliate
Olive oil mixed with brown sugar also works as a great exfoliator
Coconut oil is great for conditioning hair and skin

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!