/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turn off that stove !!! ( An eight step Ramadan plan for sisters)

MysticSoumeya
07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Here is an eight-step plan to help you gain more time in Ramadan for spiritual success:

1. Call a family meeting-today. We've got barely a week until Ramadan begins. Choose a day and time when everyone can be present.

2. Serve a sample Iftar menu at the meeting (I'll explain why in point 3)

3. Start off the meeting with the food. Then once everyone is comfortable, explain very kindly that you will only be making this food five times this Ramadan: once a week and once when guests are invited over.

4. When the news has sunk in, explain further to your family that you would like Ramadan to be a time for becoming closer to Allah. You cannot do this if you have to spend most of your time cooking and cleaning up after everyone. Be firm but polite.

5. Discuss the Ramadan meal plan. Ask everyone to share what kind of dishes they would like to eat that are healthy.

6. Once all the ideas are in, establish a cooking and cleaning schedule so that everyone pitches in. Explain that while you will still be doing the main cooking, other family members will have to help either with pre-Iftar arrangements (setting table, calling everyone, etc.) or post-Iftar ones (washing dishes/loading dishwasher, wiping counters, sweeping, etc.).

7. Enforce the schedule by rewarding children. For younger kids, a chore chart with a sticker for each day of help offered could work, as well as a small toy or gift at the end of every successful two-week period. For older kids, you could promise to spend a whole day with them doing something they enjoy after Ramadan or extend a privilege they have (e.g. access to the car if they drive).

8. For husbands, express your appreciation verbally by saying thank you and explaining how the extra help is a real spiritual boost.

If this plan is successfully implemented, you can extend it to the rest of the year, thereby gaining more time to focus on your spiritual needs. But even if you get more time on your prayer mat than over your stove just one month out of the year, the one where our good deeds count for more, it'll be worth the effort.
So go ahead. Turn off that stove and call that meeting!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaSumayia
07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
JazakAllah.. I will surely think of implying these steps..=)

Snowflake
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Masha Allah. Nice post Sis Soumeya! I've never understood why people can't break their fast with normal food and have to turn it into a special occasion every day. :heated:

MysticSoumeya
07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
That's what I'm always saying to my relatives.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qurratul Ayn
07-12-2012, 06:52 PM
^&^^ So true, my Sisters!!!

What about all the people out there who don't have enough food to break their Iftar, let alone feeding the family AND guests.

Insha'Allaah, we shall all eat simply and keep Allaah in our minds at all times and feed our spiritual selves during this precious month!!!

Will implement these tips and see the inevitable shock! Lol

Endymion
07-12-2012, 07:06 PM
:statisfie

~Zaria~
07-13-2012, 06:46 PM
MashaÁllah!

Nice one!

A little difficult to implement, but reading it brought a smile to my face : )

Just a small tip:
If you weigh more after Ramadaan, than before - you need to re-check your sehri and iftaar menu : )

:wa:

EDIT: This is my 400th post!
Alhamdulilllah.
I spend too much time on this forum......need to get a life :/

piXie
07-13-2012, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MysticSoumeya
Turn off that stove !!! ( An eight step Ramadan plan for sisters)
...n put away the rolling pins. :p

Marina-Aisha
07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
huh they do that?i just make (african stew) so just warm it up when my husband breaks his fasts..i make rice to go with the stew but thats bout it...

~Zaria~
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
So, how is everyones 8-Step plan going? : )

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!