/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamophobia - for Muslims, read Jews. And be shocked

glo
07-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Opinion piece by Owen Jones in The Independent.

One of my Muslim fellow students was Dr Leon Moosavi, fast becoming a national authority on Islamophobia. He battles against the widespread denial that anti-Muslim prejudice is a problem. But consider that, in one poll conducted by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, 45 per cent of Britons agreed that "there are too many Muslims" in Britain. Imagine if nearly half the population admitted to believing that "there are too many Jews" in Britain: how loud would our alarm be?
[...]
Anti-Muslim hate is a European pandemic. I'm proud to stand with Mehdi Hasan and other Muslims facing Islamophobia. But – I implore, I beg fellow non-Muslims – stand with them too, before this hatred spirals further out of control.
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...d-7939392.html

(For information, Owen Jones (born 8 August 1984) is a British author and commentator associated with left-wing politics.)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
07-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Hell would break loose if people would believe there is too many jews. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Muslim Woman
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Salaam/ Peace

thanks glo for sharing it .

Imagine if nearly half the population admitted to believing that "there are too many Jews" in Britain: how loud would our alarm be?

ardianto
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
There are too many Britons in Britain.

Just kidding. :)

Sometime I wondered, if the Muslims in Britain are Britons, not immigrants, how is the British Christian view on them? Would they say "there are too many Muslims in Britain"?

In percentage, Christian in Indonesia are bigger than Muslims in Britain, but I never heard Indonesian Muslims said "there are too many Christians in Indonesia". Maybe because Christians in Indonesia are Indonesian too.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LauraS
07-13-2012, 03:05 PM
It's completely true about the Jewish thing. The thing is I don't know one person who has ever had anything bad to say about Islam, in fact Islam never particularly crops up in conversation at all. It's not like British or other western people are just running around panicking about Muslims, which is what seems to be portrayed sometimes. There's only one incident my friend told me about when a man in town told a woman to take her hijaab off and my friend told the woman to ignore him, he's an idiot. But like I said, it swings both ways, a Muslim man made a stabbing motion at another friend, said that was "for the Taliban" and called her a (offensive word for black people- even though my friend is white). With the wars and the London bombings it's obvious there will be distrust and anger. There is negativity on both sides but the positive community cooperation that does happen tends to be ignored, there needs to be a media focus on good relations between Muslims and non-Muslims in the UK. Some of my dad friends, who work near a Mosque, were invited inside to celebrate the Jubilee and everyone got on really well. A shame we can't hear about more things like that.

glo
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
There is negativity on both sides but the positive community cooperation that does happen tends to be ignored, there needs to be a media focus on good relations between Muslims and non-Muslims in the UK. Some of my dad friends, who work near a Mosque, were invited inside to celebrate the Jubilee and everyone got on really well. A shame we can't hear about more things like that.
We have the media to blame for that ... and perhaps ourselves a customers too.
Good news of communities living in harmony simply doesn't sell well enough!

GuestFellow
07-13-2012, 05:30 PM
What was the sample size of this research?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!