/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What was the forbidden fruit?

ILuvAllah
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
What was the forbidden fruit that Prophet Adam (pbuh) and Even ate in heaven and were expelled after that? Some people say it was an apple. was it really an apple?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
:sl:

Some Islamic teachers who I've asked said, that fruit exist only in heaven.

Endymion
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Mufti Shafi Usmani wrote in Mariful Quran that Allah SWT just mention it as a tree and no other details so it will be better not to inquire which tree it was when Allah SWT hide its details.

1searching
07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I've from bibilical scholars that apples were not indigenous to the middle east. They said more that more likely it would have been a pomegranite.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
Mufti Shafi Usmani wrote in Mariful Quran that Allah SWT just mention it as a tree and no other details so it will be better not to inquire which tree it was when Allah SWT hide its details.
jazaki Allah khyran...people WILL fall into error when they fill the blanks out of whim- what type of fruit is indeed irrelevant!

format_quote Originally Posted by 1searching
I've from bibilical scholars that apples were not indigenous to the middle east. They said more that more likely it would have been a pomegranite.
so heaven was in the middle east and on earth?

Hulk
07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah
Even
Eve*

Hehe..
Or rather Adam and Hawa.

And I do agree with sis endy that it'd probably be better for us if we do not dwell on it. Keep in mind that it was another alam.. I recall a hadith where the Prophet (pbuh) mentioned that the difference between this world and the next is like a drop of water and the ocean. While the alam that Adam and Hawa resided in might not necessarily be the alam of the "next world" I think the example of a drop of water and the ocean should tell us just how small the dunya is.

sister herb
07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
so heaven was in the middle east and on earth?
THAT was a good point.

:playing:

Endymion
07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Here,i extracted this part for you people from Mariful Quran bu Mufti Muhammad Shafi Usmani RA.

(2:35) And We said: “O Adam, live in the Garden, you and your wife, and eat abundantly of whatever you wish but do not approach this tree or else you will be counted among the wrong-doers.

1searching
07-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not saying Heaven is in the middle east. Just quoting what I heard and thats according to jewish/christian beliefs about eden being on earth. They were talking about it in the literal sense not the theology of it.

sister herb
07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Does it mention in the Bible what tree it was?

جوري
07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
indeed some theologians believe Eden is Adan in modern day Yemen when it was green and beautiful before many d@mnations befell it but that's all conjectural... we shouldn't conjecture where we might fall into error!

sister herb
07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Just read Genesis 3 and there is mentioned just "tree".

^o)

1searching
07-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Sister I totally agree with you. I was only responding to the original post about what the forbidden fruit was not the location of the garden itself.

Insaanah
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM

The Qur'an tells the story of Adam and Eve (peace be upon them both) for moral purposes. They were both admitted to the garden, both warned against eating from one particular tree, the nature of which is not specified nor necessary. They were warned that if they ate from the tree, they would be wrong-doers and that if they listened to Satan, he would cause them to be deprived of the garden. Satan had said that he would do his best to mislead humans. Placing Adam and Eve in the garden gave them their first experience of dealing with this challenge. After eating from the tree, they had to leave the garden, but both of them repented and were forgiven by God. Their repentance was fully accepted.

This lesson for all the descendants of Adam tells us that we, as humans, have the freedom to choose, to err, and to repent sincerely if we wish, and should we do so, we will find Allah, Forgiving, Merciful. And that we need to be careful of Satan trying to mislead us.

The name of what they ate from the tree is not needed nor necessary, in the face of the story told and the huge lesson learnt. Allah tells us only what He deems necessary for us to know to grasp the story, and learn the lesson contained within it, not intricate little details that we might otherwise get sidetracked on. In some places in the Qur'an, even individuals are mentioned without names. If the individual is righteous, that is mentioned. If he did a good deed, that is mentioned as being good. Enough detail is given for the message to be understood, without getting bogged down intricate details. We must remember that the Qur'an is above all, a book of guidance. In the Qur'an, it isn't about long detailed historical narratives, but what is mentioned is mentioned for the lessons and morals contained within it.

And Allah knows best.

ardianto
07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Symbolization of apple as forbidden fruit is not from Bible, but from renaissance arts. Renaissance artists described the forbidden fruit as apple because "apple" and "evil" have same Latin word, "malum".

From what I know, Christian priests in my place never say apple when they talked about forbidden fruit, but just "forbidden fruit".

Okay, it's better if we use our logic. If the forbidden fruit is apple, it's means everyone who eat apple will fall into sin. Is there conception "you get sin if you eat apple" in Islam and Christianity?.

:)

ardianto
07-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Maybe there are more than one name for forbidden fruit in Islam, but I know only one name, Quldi.

What is quldi? I was so curious too when I was kid. So, when my auntie gave me a fruit that I've never seen before, I asked her "auntie, is it quldi fruit?"

ILuvAllah
07-17-2012, 01:56 AM
I have asked this question to understand the symbolization of the apple. Does it represent good or evil because i've seen in some movies, cartoons and even video games, the bad guy with an apple somehow connecting to something very sinister. so i thought that the apple could represent something very sinister. and did u notice how they design a pumpkin into a devil's head specially on halloween? i found a taweez in my home and at the back of that taweez there was that same evil pumpkin head with something written in arabic under it.

and about the apple i saw in a dream which i had just after fajr prayer while lying on my right shoulder. i remember i was half awake and half asleep. the dream was so lucid u know. i saw a black ugly woman standing a few distance away from me, offering me an apple. so im just trying to understand how do these fruits have connection with satanism and magic? please anyone have any idea on it let me now to get the puzzles together, then maybe by the will of Allah, i can figure out how she did the sihr on me. please help me.

ardianto
07-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Taweez actually is 'storage media' for magic.

Maybe your home need to be 'neutralized' from the magic in that taweez, and it's better if you 'neutralize' your home with du'a. But I don't know the right du'a for it.

Tyrion
07-17-2012, 03:02 AM
I have asked this question to understand the symbolization of the apple. Does it represent good or evil because i've seen in some movies, cartoons and even video games, the bad guy with an apple somehow connecting to something very sinister. so i thought that the apple could represent something very sinister. and did u notice how they design a pumpkin into a devil's head specially on halloween? i found a taweez in my home and at the back of that taweez there was that same evil pumpkin head with something written in arabic under it.

and about the apple i saw in a dream which i had just after fajr prayer while lying on my right shoulder. i remember i was half awake and half asleep. the dream was so lucid u know. i saw a black ugly woman standing a few distance away from me, offering me an apple. so im just trying to understand how do these fruits have connection with satanism and magic? please anyone have any idea on it let me now to get the puzzles together, then maybe by the will of Allah, i can figure out how she did the sihr on me. please help me.
Don't be so superstitious. The idea of an apple as the forbidden fruit seems to have come from Europe, and was mostly just conjecture from historical Christians. It likely came about because the Latins words for "evil" and "apple" sounded similar, and it's because of this that the apple came to symbolize things like temptation or the fall of man throughout western literature/media.

Endymion
07-17-2012, 06:31 PM

I remember watching a drama based on a true story of a Shaheed here who was rewarded with "Nishane-Haider" the biggest Military award here.His Mother saw a dream before his shahadah that an old pious looking man came to her an asked for one of two apples she had in her hands.She gave him the best apple and the other was not as good.And after some time,one of her two sons who was in Army martyred in a war.In her dream,apple represent her sons and the good one was her noble son which she gave in the way of Allah SWT.
Fruits are one of the bounties of Allah SwT and they do not represent evil but the ugly black woman in your dream is the evil part.I read in Bukhari chapter of dreams that a black woman represents illness or loss.Allah swt knows what your dream means but to me its like you'll be offered a benefit from a evil source.I'll check this in dictionary of dreams Inshallah.

sister herb
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Does in this black woman means African woman?

^o)

جوري
07-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Sister is right when you see someone as a black woman in a dream it's a very bad thing.
I had a dream seven months ago of falling down the train tracks a very steep fall and there was a black woman there I kept begging her to aid me but she wouldn't and in fact seemed all too pleased I was dying. Well the dream later happened not as literal as all that and I assure you the woman who intended me harm is a blonde in real life- I just saw her for what she was colored by her evil deeds!

Ramadan90
07-17-2012, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Does in this black woman means African woman?

^o)
LOL! No no no. It means a "bad omen". Maybe coloured by her evil deeds. :/ Not an african woman though.

Ramadan90
07-17-2012, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

I remember watching a drama based on a true story of a Shaheed here who was rewarded with "Nishane-Haider" the biggest Military award here.His Mother saw a dream before his shahadah that an old pious looking man came to her an asked for one of two apples she had in her hands.She gave him the best apple and the other was not as good.And after some time,one of his two sons who was in Army martyred in a war.In her dream,apple represent son and the good one was his noble son which she gave in the way of Allah SWT.
Fruits are one of the bounties of Allah SwT and they do not represent evil but the ugly black woman in your dream is the evil part.I read in Bukhari chapter of dreams that a black woman represents illness or loss.Allah swt knows what your dream means but to me its like you'll be offered a benefit from a evil source.I'll check this in dictionary of dreams Inshallah.
This part scares me a lot. :/

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Unbeneficial knowledge....

ILuvAllah
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
No. that black woman I saw in the dream is the same woman who did the sihr on me. She is actually black and ugly in reality but she was looking even darker in the dream.

Endymion
07-18-2012, 03:55 AM
As Prophet Muhammad SAW taught us how to deal with bad dreams.You just have to spit on your left side and say,"Aaoodhu billahi minash shaytanir Rajeem" and give some Sadaqah.Every thing will be alright Inshallah.Nothing can harm you unless Allah SWT let it harm you :statisfie

And another thing.If you think your dream wasn't good,don't say it before anyone.Just do what said above.

Abz2000
07-18-2012, 04:05 AM
there is a name for it in Islam, it's called 'ilm al laa yanfa' - knowledge which does not benefit,
there is also a clear command to shun such debates.

22 . (Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth.
Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)."
Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers.
Quran 18:22

ardianto
07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
there is a name for it in Islam, it's called 'ilm al laa yanfa' - knowledge which does not benefit,

22 . (Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth.
Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)."
Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers.
Actually this ayaah is about Ashabul Kahfi.

But, yes, you right. Some say "fruit like this" other say "fruit like that". And until the end of the world, nobody will know, what fruit.

However, OP made this thread because she got a dream about woman and apple.

Insaanah
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000

Jazaakallah khayr for this important reminder, and brother Muraad also.

What was the forbidden fruit?
It is important to note, that it is not mentioned that it was a fruit that they ate. In the Qur'an, Allah tells us that he warned them against approaching the tree, and that they ate from the tree:

Sahih International
And We said, "O Adam, dwell, you and your wife, in Paradise and eat therefrom in [ease and] abundance from wherever you will. But do not approach this tree, lest you be among the wrongdoers." (2: 35)

Sahih International
And "O Adam, dwell, you and your wife, in Paradise and eat from wherever you will but do not approach this tree, lest you be among the wrongdoers." (7: 19)

Sahih International
But Satan whispered to them to make apparent to them that which was concealed from them of their private parts. He said, "Your Lord did not forbid you this tree except that you become angels or become of the immortal." (7: 20)

Sahih International
So he made them fall, through deception. And when they tasted of the tree, their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten together over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And their Lord called to them, "Did I not forbid you from that tree and tell you that Satan is to you a clear enemy?" (7: 22)

Muhsin Khan
Then they both ate of the tree, and so their private parts appeared to them, and they began to stick on themselves the leaves from Paradise for their covering. Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, so he went astray. (20: 121)

At no point is the word fruit mentioned. We are told they ate from the tree, but we are not told what they ate from it, whether it's leaves, flowers, fruit, berries, nuts, sap from the bark, or something else that was around then that may not exist now - Allahu a3lam, and it is not for us to conjecture.

...However it should be noted that Allah did not specify it and left it vague, and had there been any benefit by knowing its details, He would have mentioned it for us, as He did with some other things in the Qur'an.
[Quoted part from Qasasul Anbiyaa' (Stories of the Prophets) by Ibn Katheer.]

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!