/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I made promises I shouldn't have made.

Islamforlife
07-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Asalamuwalikum. I had committed shameful acts a month earlier and I was very emotional at the time, so I made a promise to Allah (swt) that I would give up something I like. Now I'm thinking that this was very irrelevant because it hadn't helped me give up this act, but just bothered me a lot. I'm scared to break the promise I made with Allah and become a hypocrite, but I think I made the promise when I shouldn't have made. Please help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Wa'alaikum salam.

At first, what I will tell you is not a fatwa, but just a basic information regarding to make oath and can not be fulfilled.

There is a hadith that 'matched' with your situation.

"If you swear, then you look for something better than the oath, then cancel the oath (by paying a fine) and do it something better than that oath." [Hadith Bukhari and Muslim]

But fine in this matter is not money. Notice the ayaah below

"Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful." (Al-Maidah: 89)

But bro, like I've said. Do not regard my post as fatwa. You still need to consult with an Islamic teacher. This is just a preliminary information

Hamza Asadullah
07-21-2012, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamforlife
Asalamuwalikum. I had committed shameful acts a month earlier and I was very emotional at the time, so I made a promise to Allah (swt) that I would give up something I like. Now I'm thinking that this was very irrelevant because it hadn't helped me give up this act, but just bothered me a lot. I'm scared to break the promise I made with Allah and become a hypocrite, but I think I made the promise when I shouldn't have made. Please help.
:sl:

If you made an explicit oath to Allah and broke it then you are free of that oath and will have to pay expiation for breaking the oath and at the same time make sincere repentance with remorse with the intention of never repeating such an action again. The expiation is to feed ten poor people with 2 meals each. Most charitys have this option on their websites or you can call up a charity and say you need to pay expiation of feeding 10 poor people twice and they will give you the price and how to pay it. If you have no money at all and cannot afford to pay any expiation then you will have to fast 3 days in a row outside of Ramadan.

One should be very careful about taking Allah's name in vain. Regarding your issue then turn to Allah for help and guidance and ask of him to help you to be strong. Make effort and trust in Allah and persevere. Never give up. Life is about striving and struggling and if you fall then get back up and carry on.

And Allah knows best in all matters

SoldierAmatUllah
09-09-2017, 05:34 AM
My mom bought a car on riba.I made an oath if riba money from car is removed,i will do Hifzul Qur'an.

My mom got rid of Riba money ,AlhamduLillah with dads paying off that money.

Now,i have tried to do Hifz &have intentions too but till now haven't been able to.

Can i give off oath like said above?

JazakALLAH hu khayr

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!