/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science in the Quran (keeping it simple)

seymour
07-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I've read numerous times on this forum that one of the reasons Muslims believe the Quran is the word of God is because it contains scientific facts that no-one living at the time of Mohammed could have known. However I'm struggling to find clear explanations for this on this forum. Most scientific threads seem to go off on a tangent, get bogged down in nitpicking about misinterpretation or end up as a battle of egos.

My Muslim colleagues at work often tell me that the moral teaching within the Quran is very clear, exact and not open to misinterpretation. In fact they tell this is one of these reasons why they are Mulsim - Islam is the religion of clarity, simplicity and logic, so surely the science within the Quran follows suit? I realise this subject has been discussed many times on this forum, so I'd like this thread to tackle it another way.

For each "Scientific" Verse in the Quran could you please post a single URL to a reputable scientific webpage (that has no religious bias) backing up the verse(s), maybe followed by a short comment specifically explaining how you believe this URL backs it up. Please keep your posts to the below format;

1. Title
2. Quran Chapter and Verse(s) number.
3. Then copy and paste the Verse(s) from The Online Quran Project (please do not paste from any other version of the Quran, as the English translations seem to vary wildly and we need a common point of reference).
4. The URL (one will suffice)
5. Your short and to the point comment

I have a keen interested in Science, I have a BSC degree, but I am definitely not a professional Physicist, Chemist or Biologist and neither are most of the people on this forum, so please keep to websites that give relatively simple and concise explanations such as;

National Geographic
How Stuff Works
New Scientist
BBC > Learning > Science
Wikipedia :p (hey I can hear you scoffing but it does provide a lot of useful information and if you think its wrong, just go and update it?)

* Apologies for not hyperlinking to the websites but my user account for this forum has very limited permissions *

As a side note, could someone explain why the claims of ground breaking science in the Quran only came about after the scientific discoveries were made, in other words why weren't 7th Century Muslims writing books about the big bang, atoms, the water cycle, how the planets orbit the sun etc. Also what does the Quran say the next scientific discovery is likely to be?

Many thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
No one is interested in the holy month to debate if you want an introduction about the miraculous features of the Quran you can start with Dr. Gary Miller's 'the amazing Quran'

Best,

جوري
07-24-2012, 07:30 PM
As an addendum to the above the Muslim world has always been advanced in science .. We can't be faulted if you aren't well versed in history!
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-science/35385-setting-record-straight-miracle-islamic-science.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...our-world.html

Al-Mufarridun
07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
No one is interested in the holy month to debate if you want an introduction about the miraculous features of the Quran you can start with Dr. Gary Miller's 'the amazing Quran'

Best,
LINK - Dr. Gary Miller's The Amazing Quran - PDF

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Mufarridun
07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seymour
As a side note, could someone explain why the claims of ground breaking science in the Quran only came about after the scientific discoveries were made, in other words why weren't 7th Century Muslims writing books about the big bang, atoms, the water cycle, how the planets orbit the sun etc. Also what does the Quran say the next scientific discovery is likely to be?

Many thanks.
Greetings, the answers to most of your questions in this sentence can also be found in the first pages of the book that was suggested. I hope you take the time to read it and reflect upon it. Perhaps if you still would like to discuss it more, we can do it after the month of Ramadan.

Best wishes on your journey of learning and discovery.

seymour
07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your posts but I specifically asked for URLs to sources that have no religious bias. Dr Gary Miller is a Muslim.

Please keep this thread to reputable scientific sources that have no religious bias, in the format that I requested. This thread will then help me and other people who are interested in the Quran get straight to the substance without having to sift through the waffle.

I look forward to your input and wish you all productive Ramadan and a happy Eid :sunny:

Muhammad
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Greetings seymour,

Thank you for your interest in the Qur'an.

Unfortunately, this thread belongs in one of the forum sections which are closed for Ramadhan and therefore it will be moved there. If I have time to direct you to some other threads/posts which you can check in the mean time, I will do so. I do not think I have links to the few sites you listed, but many of the other websites and posts are referenced to other literature so it should not be a problem.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!