/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sisters Only. Urgent.

anonymous
07-27-2012, 02:53 AM
Hello Sisters. I just need clarification regarding when one should start fasting again after their menses. I follow the Hanafi madhab and from what I have read you should start fasting again if you notice one of two things:

1) White discharge
2) Dryness

The thing is I have not noticed any white discharge, and also I'm not 100% certain about the dryness. I mean (I'm really sorry for the details sisters) I am pretty dry but there is still some blood there, a really small (and dry) amount that shows up on the pad/when you wipe.

The reason I'm asking is because I did get a thick dark red discharge which I usually get at the end of my menses and after doing some research I have found many women get this at the end of their menses. So do I take this to mean I am no longer on my menses and can start fasting again even though a small amount of blood still shows and their was no white discharge?

Also if I can start fasting again, before sahoor I did not make wudhu (as I wasn't sure if I should be fasting) does this affect my fast in any way? I know you can make ghusl afterwards and your fast will still be valid, but do you have to make wudu in place of the ghusl?

Thank-You for your help sister.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
:sl:

InshaAllah will try to find more info .

Name of Questioner
Maha

Title

Bleeding for Three Months: How to Pray

Question
Respected scholars, as-salamu `alaykum. May Allah reward you for all your efforts and for providing this service.

My question is sensitive, but I really need the answer, and I am sure other sisters have experienced this situation so perhaps they will benefit with a clear answer. I have asked other sisters, but they said they could not provide me with a certain answer.

My doctors have told me that I need to use birth control pills. I am unmarried, but I have a cyst (a non-cancerous growth) on my ovary and had this problem before. By using birth control, they hope it will shrink this cyst and that I can avoid having surgery a second time.

My problem is that because of the pills, I am now bleeding throughout my menstrual cycle. It is red blood and considerable (like a period). I was told this should stop after three months as my body adjusts to the medication, or the doctors may change to a different brand and the problem should go away. Until such time, I am uncertain what to do about prayer and reading the Qur'an.

Can I pray and read Qur'an — assuming that my period is seven days long (as usual for me) and avoid praying just during that time. This is a difficult situation and it's upsetting me. Thank you so much for your time, patience, and help.

Date
19/Apr/2007

Name of Mufti
Ahmad Kutty

Topic
Female secretions

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Sister, thank you for your question, which shows your desire to live by the rules of Islam and worship Allah correctly. May Allah Almighty help us all adhere to the principles of this true religion, Islam, and enable us to be among the dwellers of Paradise in the hereafter. Ameen.

What you are experiencing is calledistihadah (bleeding outside the normal period). You should stop fasting and salah only for the same number of days you are accustomed to having your menses.

After this period you must take a purificatory bath (ghusl) and to resume prayer, fasting, etc.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

The bleeding you are experiencing in this case cannot be considered as menses. It is rather comparable to bleeding of istihadah (abnormal bleeding). Therefore, the rules of hayd (menses) do not apply to your case. Rather you should follow the rules of istihadah.

To be more specific, you are advised to look at the pattern of your menses prior to taking the pills, and simply follow the same. In other words, you simply stay away from prayer, fasting, and Tawaf, etc. (the things you are to avoid while menstruating) the same number of days (i.e., seven days in your case, as you mentioned). After that time you are required to take a complete ghusl (ritual bath) just as you would do when your period completely stops.

Following the ghusl, you must resume prayer, fasts, etc., as if you were totally free of menses. The only exception would be this: You need to clean your private parts and perform wudu' (ablution) prior to each prayer. You are best advised to perform wudu' as close to the intended prayer as possible.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from
www.islam.ca

Related Questions

- How to Distinguish Between Menstrual Blood and Other Blood

- How Can a Menstruating Woman Observe Laylatul-Qadr?

- Why Menstruating Women Do Not Fast?

Muslim Woman
07-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Question

a girls get blood drops 15-4 days before her date, then it stops the same day for next day, then again she sees blood drops, sometimes she dont see any blood (again after seeing once) till her date n sometimes she sees blood drops in evey 2-3 days. so all these 15-20 days comes under period or she have to take ghusl everytime ? pls answer ASAP

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.If the totality of the days in which you see these drops of blood in addition to the days of your monthly menses along with the days of purity between them exceeds 15 days – as it appears from the question – then you have bleeding outside your monthly menses.

In such a case where you have bleeding outside your monthly menses, you should refrain from the prayer during the days which you know you are in menses, and consider them as menses as long as you know when your monthly menses occur. Then, when your menses stops, you should perform Ghusl (ritual bath) and perform the prayer and you should not take into consideration those spots; rather, you should clean the place of impurity and only perform ablution for the prayer.

On the other hand, if the totality of those days and the period of purity intervening them are less than 15 days, and between the stopping of the menses and seeing those drops there are not less than a period of 13 days which is the minimum period of purity between two menses according to the Hanbali School – then the totality of the bleeding which you see during this period is considered as menses.In which case, when you see the bleeding, you should refrain from performing the prayer and the like, and when this bleeding stops, you should perform Ghusl (if you need to perform the prayer), and you should do the same thing until your menses stops, as long as the totality of bleeding and the period of purity intervening it lasts for at least one day and one night and does not exceed 15 days as we already mentioned. For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 153821.

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=154565

Muslim Woman
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM

.....The view of the majority of the scholars

is that the maximum period of menses is 15 days.

Therefore, the blood discharges after this period are considered as Istihaadhah (bleeding outside the monthly menses), and a woman during Istihaadhah should not give up performing prayers and fasting.

The conclusion that may be deducted from all the Prophetic narrations that are mentioned regarding a woman who has discharges outside her monthly periods is that her situation is one of the following three cases:

1. The woman has a known period of menses, so she acts according to it and refrains from praying and fasting, etc, and at the end of her menses, she performs Ghusl (i.e. a ritual bath) and performs the prayer and fasts.
2. She distinguishes between the blood of menses and the blood of Istihaadhah by its colour or smell . In which case, she acts according to the type of the blood she observes.
3. She does not have monthly periods at all, or that she had once but she forgot, and she is not able to distinguish whether the blood is that of menses or Istihaadhah. In this case, she should act according to the menstruation period of most women, which is six to seven days.

Therefore, the ruling on a woman who has bleeding for one month or nearly so becomes clear to you.

As regards the second case when the duration of her monthly menses is less than the usual period of time, or that her monthly menses comes little by little; in this case, she should perform Ghusl (i.e. a ritual bath) and offer prayers and fast whenever she recognizes purity, even if her usual days of menses were not complete.

Allaah Knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM

to my knowledge , according to Hanafi Madhab , maximum days for mense is 10 .

So , if it's more than ten days , start ur fasting . It's allowed to have suhur without taking Fard bath . U can do it later and fasting is valid.

And Allah Knows Best.

Periwinkle18
07-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Assalam o alikum

your menses will have ended when bleeding has stopped completely. There should be no trace of red at all.So in your case, your haidh has not yet ended.it will end when there is no more blood. also,wudhu will not have to be made before hand though you should take care to ensure that you complete your ghusl as soon as you possibly can.

جوري
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Bleeding for Three Months: How to Pray
It is unfortunate but some women with PCO don't ovulate but the lining of the uterus builds up month after month with no follicular release until it becomes too heavy and sheds for equal number of months.. it is scary but believe it or not the bleeding isn't the worst of this rather the hormonal imbalance and the possible neoplasms that flourish under the influence of one persistent hormone.
but I have always wondered of the religious ruling of this in terms of fast and prayers so jazaki Allah khyran for posting.. does this also apply for postpartum bleeds? Do you know-- what constitutes normal or abnormal? postpartum bleed is normal sometimes spotting between is normal, even when embryos attach and bleeding occurs is normal.. so I don't know but would like to learn..

:w:

Snowflake
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
=anonymous;1535328] So do I take this to mean I am no longer on my menses and can start fasting again even though a small amount of blood still shows and their was no white discharge?

Regarding when a woman can consider her menses to have ended:

- "The women used to send small containers in which were these cloths with traces of yellow on them to ‘Aa’ishah, and she would say, “Do not hasten until you see the white discharge.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari)

But - Concerning the brownish discharge, if she sees this after her period has ended, (meaning after witnessing the white discharge as described above) then the ruling is that it is taahir (pure), but it requires her to do wudoo’ only. But if she sees it during the time of her period, then it comes under the rulings of menstruation

http://islamqa.info/en/cat/59/ref/islamqa/5595

Also if I can start fasting again, before sahoor I did not make wudhu (as I wasn't sure if I should be fasting) does this affect my fast in any way? I know you can make ghusl afterwards and your fast will still be valid, but do you have to make wudu in place of the ghusl?

- If dawn comes when the woman is menstruating, it is not valid for her to fast that day even if she becomes pure even a moment after dawn.

If she becomes pure just before dawn and fasts, her fast is valid even if she does not do ghusl until after dawn. This is like the one who is junub – if he intends to fast when he is junub and dos not do ghusl until after dawn breaks, his fast is valid, because of the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to wake up junub as the result of intercourse, not a wet dream, and he would fast in Ramadaan. Agreed upon.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/70438

Muslim Woman
07-30-2012, 04:36 PM

sis , Regarding your issues , please see the following links:

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...D=1494&CATE=89

http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/...12989&act=view

Also see the fiqh of Menstruation:

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...=3671&CATE=411

جوري
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Do you agree with this from the link you posted above?:
she must not recite or touch the Qur'an!

not the touch it portion but what precludes from reciting?

Muslim Woman
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال

.. does this also apply for postpartum bleeds? .

Fatwa No : 153821
She has sporadic bleeding after the end of her postnatal period
Fatwa Date : Jumaadaa Al-Oula 2, 1432 / 6-4-2011
Question

i gave birth 3 moths ago. 1 moths after the 40 day i started 2 spot during the day. It occurred 1 to 2 day a week. Slowly it increased. Know i spot for 2 to 7 day. I get clean for 10 days and i start 2 bleed again. Im getting confused Im not if it is my period. It doesnt look it. I was told the bleeding is deu to my body recovering from birth. This did not happen to me with my other children. What should i do regard the prayer

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.The bleeding that you saw during the period of 40 days is considered postpartum bleeding and if there was a period of purity that interrupted it (for at least one day and one night), then it is considered as a valid period of purity. Therefore, you should have refrained from prayer in the period of 40 days during the time you see bleeding, and when the bleeding stopped, you should have performed Ghusl and prayed.As regards the bleeding that you are seeing after 40 days according to the description that you mentioned, then it is not possible that it is all menses because the length of the period of the two bleedings and the period of purity between them exceeded 15 days which is the maximum period of menses, and the period of purity between two bleedings did not reach 13 days which is the minimum period of purity between the two menses (according to the Hanbali School of jurisprudence). Therefore, it becomes clear – according to what you mentioned – that you had bleeding outside your monthly menses.Hence, if you have a known monthly period, then you should consider the bleeding that you saw in your monthly period as menses, and whatever exceeds it [this period] is bleeding outside your monthly menses.If you do not have a previous regular period, then if you can distinguish the characteristics of the blood of menses by its color, smell and thickness and the pain that accompanies it, you should consider this as menses and consider the other blood as bleeding outside the monthly menses, on the condition that the bleeding that you distinguish [to be as menses] is possible to be menses in the sense that the totality of its time-period is not less than one day and one night and is not more than 15 days and nights.If you can not distinguish the bleeding of menses from other bleeding, then you should refrain from the prayer for the regular period of most women in your family, like six or seven days of the days during which you see bleeding, and consider them as menses and consider what is beyond this as bleeding outside your menses.According to some scholars, the days that you consider as menses should start at the beginning of each (lunar) month. According to some other scholars, you should try your best to act according to what you most predominantly believe to be menses, and this is the most correct opinion. When the days that you consider as menses expire, you should perform Ghusl and during the days when you have bleeding outside your monthly menses, you should perform ablution for every obligatory prayer after its time starts, and you should also put a napkin or the like on your private parts, and the rulings of the pure woman apply to you. For more benefit, please refer to Fataawa 145201, 129256, 128778 and 108423.

Allaah Knows best.

جوري
07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Jazaki Allah khyran but the above is specific to prayers and not fast.. also do you agree with the point raised in post number ten based on one of the links you provided..

Baraka Allah feeki.

Muslim Woman
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
she must not recite or touch the Qur'an!

normally in this time , I read translation of Quran and utter silenty short chapters from memory.

There could be different views . I prefer to read all opinions , follow that I feel is best and not to urgue about differnent opinion .

And Allah Knows Best.

Muslim Woman
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Post-Natal Bleeding

In the case of bleeding after childbirth, women are instructed to abandon formal prayer and fasting for a maximum period of forty days.

Umm Salamah said,
"Women experiencing post-natal bleedingwould refrain from formal prayer for forty days or forty nights, and we used to rub our faces with an aromatic herb called wars to remove dark spots.1

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/goto/Q%26A.html

....There are no authentic narrations to indicate the minimum period of post-natal bleeding. Anas ibn Maalik said, "Allah's Messenger (SAW) set a time period of forty days for women bleeding after child-birth, except if they became pure before that time." 3

Q. Sometimes when a woman experiences a miscarriage the fetus is clearly formed, while at other times it is not. What is the Islamic ruling regarding formal prayer in each circumstance?

A. If a woman miscarries a fetus whose human characteristics (eg. head, hand, foot, etc.) are clearly evident, she is considered as having given birth and the rules for post -natal bleeding apply. She neither makes formal prayer nor does she fast, and sexual intercourse is forbidden until her bleeding stops before forty days.

At any time that the bleeding stops before forty days, she is obliged to pray and fast, and sexual intercourse is permitted with her husband. There is no minimum limit for post-natl bleeding.

Bleeding which continues past forty days is not considered as nifaas (normal post-natal bleeding), but abnormal bleeding (istihaadah) in which case she must make formal prayer and fast, and she may have sexual relations with her husband.

She must make wudoo for each prayer based on the Prophets(SAW) instruction to Faatimah bint Abee Hubaysh, "...perform wudoo for every formal prayer..." 4 Whenever, prolonged bleeding coincides with the time of her menses, this period is then considered as her menstruating time. In which case, she stops formal prayer and fasting, and sexual intercourse is forbidden.

If, on the other hand, the fetus does not have human features (eg. a smooth clump of flesh or a clot of blood) her bleeding is considered istihaadah, not nifaas or menses.

She must pray and fast, and she may have sexual relations with her husband. She should wear a sanitary napkin and make wudoo for each prayer. She may join the prayers of Thuhr and Asr, as well as Maghrib and Ishaa, and she may take a ghusl for each pair of prayers and a separate ghusl for Fajr based on the authentic hadeeth of Hamnah bint Jahsh regarding the ruling for istihaadah.5

Q. A year ago I had a miscarriage in the third month, so I stopped making formal prayer until the bleeding stopped. Someone recently told me that I should have continued praying. What should I do, considering that I am not sure exactly how many days of praying I missed?

A. According to scholars, if a woman miscarries in the third month. she should stop making formal prayers. Any bleeding following a miscarriage in which human characteristics are evident in the fetus is considered nifaas during which formal prayer is not permitted. Scholars say that human characteristics become evident after eighty-one days, which is less than three months. Consequently, if she is certain that the miscarried fetus was three months old, her discharge of blood is nifaas. But, if the miscarriage took place in the third month before eighty-one days, the blood is considered abnormal bleeding (istihaadah), and she should have continued praying. So, she must try to remember how many days were missed. If it turns out that the miscarriage took place before eighty-one days, she should make up the prayers missed. But, if she cannot remember, she should carefully estimate the days and make up the missed prayers as a precautinary measure. 6

UshnaR
05-02-2020, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Hello Sisters. I just need clarification regarding when one should start fasting again after their menses. I follow the Hanafi madhab and from what I have read you should start fasting again if you notice one of two things:

1) White discharge
2) Dryness

The thing is I have not noticed any white discharge, and also I'm not 100% certain about the dryness. I mean (I'm really sorry for the details sisters) I am pretty dry but there is still some blood there, a really small (and dry) amount that shows up on the pad/when you wipe.

The reason I'm asking is because I did get a thick dark red discharge which I usually get at the end of my menses and after doing some research I have found many women get this at the end of their menses. So do I take this to mean I am no longer on my menses and can start fasting again even though a small amount of blood still shows and their was no white discharge?

Thank-You for your help sister.
You should do your ghusl until and unless you are completely sure that your period has ended. Even if u still have a doubt that whether u should fast or not, then wait for the fajr azan, do your check again, if no you are sure that no blood will discharge then do the ghusl and continue ur fast. It's better to be sure before carrying on with the fast. Also, girls know their cycles very well. For some girls it lasts for 6 days, some for 7 , but a/c to my experience, the cycle barely changes so do the ghusl when ur actually sue ur period has ended, and keep checking frm time to time to get good confirmation. Amd islam is very flexible, it doesn't go with doubts. Clear your doubts and take your decision in cool manner cuz Allah sees the niyah. Hope that helps. Also, I am not any religious scholar, I m just sharing my views thanks.

seekingknowledge
05-03-2020, 01:03 AM
I got Dr Bilal Phillips book of women's menstrual cycle and other problems. Our dad got it all these years ago in the 90s. Shall I find you something in that? sorry I cannot what help you as I'm not very knowledgeable.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!