/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel trouble

'Abd-al Latif
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
:salamext:

How does one get rid of squirrels in one's back garden?

I've got bird feeders placed in my back garden and the squirrels eat up all the seeds and nuts for themselves. I've tried putting chilli powder on the bird food (seeing as birds don't have taste buds and the chilli won't effect them) as a deterrent to drive them away. This worked for a couple of days until the squirrel learnt to throw the seeds/nuts in the water to knock off all the chilli before eating it.

Since they see food in my garden everyday they've now gotten aggressive. They have now begun to chase after any and every bird that comes to my garden lest it tries to eat the food.

I dont want squirrels in my garden and I want to get rid of them.

It's very frustrating to have them finish all the bird food. Sometimes I really like feel creeping up on one and kicking it over the moon!

Any money-saving advice? Aarrrggghhhh!:heated:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
lol how cute.. but I understand they're pests.. in fact to rodents they belong so how about some mouse traps?

'Abd-al Latif
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
lol how cute.. but I understand they're pests.. in fact to rodents they belong so how about some mouse traps?
Where will I discard them? Unfortunately squirrels are intelligent (:raging:) and they have a way of finding their way back to places.

جوري
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Where will I discard them? Unfortunately squirrels are intelligent (:raging:) and they have a way of finding their way back to places.
That's the great thing about mouse traps now a days.. they just go in and the door closes in behind them bwahahahahahaha..
at any rate.. put it where they go to eat.. put the seeds they like inside the traps if you have to and they'll go have a nice last meal and go to sleep..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
here are some I found with good ratings:

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1078-...squirrel+traps

and

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstream-Black-Hole-Rodent-Trap/dp/B0007O24US/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1343679908&sr=8-12&keywords=squirrel+traps

I don't think they're as smart as all that.. they're rodents after all..

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Squirrels in 24 hours, July 7, 2012
By
Monica (MA) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Black Hole Rodent Trap (Kitchen)
It works. It just works. Bait it with sunflower seeds and put it where the rodents play. Poor things....they're so stupid. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

جوري
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I have to admit I have been reading some of the reviews and they're absolutely hilarious.. they almost all sound as mad as you're in your initial post ;D

BlissfullyJaded
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Wa alaikum asalaam,

We saw one a few weeks ago eating up our unripe figs, my mother was not happy, but I convinced her to leave it...hope a whole family of 'em don't land up in our backyard tho.

You most probably have to go with a trap or with those pellets that are poisonous. And then let your backyard turn into a squirrel cemetery. Ouch, so cruel. :cry:

Good luck sneaking up on a squirrel tho, that would be priceless.

جوري
07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BlissfullyJaded
You most probably have to go with a trap or with those pellets that are poisonous. And then let your backyard turn into a squirrel cemetery. Ouch, so cruel.

Good luck sneaking up on a squirrel tho, that would be priceless.
lol I love the way you did that.. you shed a tear at the burial and then perked right up ...

BlissfullyJaded
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Well, life goes on right? Can't mourn over 'em foreverr. :hiding:

I feel psycho now for perking up so fast. :nervous:

Abz2000
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
lol, that's ur opportunity to let them eat too, there's a reward in every moist liver :)
i was once walking thru a park and saw a squirrel that just walked up to me so i offered it some food and it took it out of my hand and just sat in front of me holding it with both hands and nibbling it,
you don't want birds stuck in your mouse trap too do you?
plus the squirrel will curse you as it dies a slow death just coz it was hungry :(

جوري
07-31-2012, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
lol, that's ur opportunity to let them eat too, there's a reward in every moist liver :)
i was once walking thru a park and saw a squirrel that just walked up to me so i offered it some food and it took it out of my hand and just sat in front of me holding it with both hands and nibbling it,
plus the squirrel will curse you as it dies a slow death just coz it was hungry :(
ummmmmm.. wild things carry bees and disease.. rabies and such especially those awful rodents.. God I hate rodents, they're only cute in the cartoons. Please stay away from critters and keep your children away from them too unless they've been seen by a vet and given the clear..
you worry me sometimes.. :skeleton:

Scimitar
07-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Leave a bag of peanuts in one corner of the garden for them, get the cheap brand :)

Also, hang the bird feed cages from coat hanger wire (squirrels won't eat thru that coz it's not string - therefore not causing the feed cage to fall)... might do the trick.

You can also http://www.primrose.co.uk/pest-contr...FcQNfAodbTYADQ loool. I'm impressed :D

Scimi

EDIT: get a cat, train it catch rodents :)

BlissfullyJaded
07-31-2012, 04:09 AM
Oh sis, admit it, squirrels are cute! Adorable! In real life, not just in cartoons.

Although I wouldn't actually let it eat from my hand, I'd be kinda scared it'll go to eat off my finger. And they have scary claws. I'd stand far enough to take some nice pictures of it tho, which I have done before at the park, was surprised it didn't run away from me. :p

Anyyways, the cat idea is a good idea!

جوري
07-31-2012, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BlissfullyJaded
Oh sis, admit it, squirrels are cute! Adorable! In real life, not just in cartoons.

Although I wouldn't actually let it eat from my hand, I'd be kinda scared it'll go to eat off my finger. And they have scary claws. I'd stand far enough to take some nice pictures of it tho, which I have done before at the park, was surprised it didn't run away from me. :p

Anyyways, the cat idea is a good idea!
I was just talking to a friend of mine who is really into bugs and birds.. two things I really dislike well except for dragon flies but from far away - I can't relate to the affinity folks have for critters.. They annoy and disgust me.. so yeah curses!

~Zaria~
07-31-2012, 04:39 AM

I've got bird feeders placed in my back garden and the squirrels eat up all the seeds and nuts for themselves. I've tried putting chilli powder on the bird food (seeing as birds don't have taste buds and the chilli won't effect them) as a deterrent to drive them away. This worked for a couple of days until the squirrel learnt to throw the seeds/nuts in the water to knock off all the chilli before eating it.
Wa-alaikumsalam,

SubhanAllah!

How clever these little creatures can be!

Awww.....dont kill ' em!

They're just...... teeny, weeny, cuddly, cutie-pies!

Naughty babies ok? : )

Have mercy!

Put up some spinning wheels in the garden, so they can play too! lol : )

I found this for you bro 'Abd-al Latif:

Tips to Squirrel-Proof a Birdfeeder

There are several ways to make a birdfeeder less accessible to squirrels without restricting its appeal to the birds. For the best results, try several methods to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder.

• Location: Squirrels can jump distances of 10 feet or greater, so place feeders well away from trees, wires, porches and other launching points to make it more difficult for squirrels to get on the feeder. Ideally, mount birdfeeders on a smooth metal pole at least six feet high, and prune any branches or bushes within a 12 foot radius.
  • Cages: Place a wire cage around a birdfeeder that squirrels will not fit through but with openings that will not restrict smaller birds from feeding. This is also useful for preventing larger birds, such as starlings and pigeons, from accessing the feeder. Some feeders come equipped with these cages, or you can easily add mesh to an existing feeder.
  • Baffles: Add smooth plastic or metal baffles above and below birdfeeders. The baffles should be at least 15 inches wide and sloped to prevent squirrels from reaching around them. Many of these squirrel baffles are designed to twirl or tilt if a squirrel climbs onto them, keeping the animal off balance and unable to access the feeder.
  • Cleanliness: Keep the area around the feeder clean and remove debris and spilled seed from the ground that could be attracting squirrels. This also ensures the birds do not eat old or rotting seed that could be unhealthy.
  • Spinners: Hang a feeder from a thin horizontal wire strung with spinners to keep squirrels from climbing across the wire. Spinners may be a line of thread spools, short lengths of pipe or hose, or empty plastic soda bottles strung along the wire that will spin and keep squirrels from accessing the feeder.
  • Feeder Style: If you need to replace feeders that squirrels have destroyed, opt for specially designed birdfeeders with doors that will be trigged by a squirrel’s weight to close and restrict access to seed. Alternatively, choose metal feeders that squirrels will be less able to chew through.
  • Seed: While squirrels will readily sample most types of birdseed, they are less attracted to nyger and safflower seed. By using these seeds exclusively, you close the squirrel snack bar without eliminating feeding the birds.
  • Spicy Seed: Mammals, including squirrels, are sensitive to the perceived heat of peppers, but birds are not. Adding cayenne pepper or similar spices to birdseed can deter squirrels, but it can wash off and must be used consistently for the best effects. When handling pepper, be sure wear gloves and avoid breathing in the dust. Some retailers have pre-treated seed available, but it should be treated just as cautiously.
  • Traps: If squirrels are a strong nuisance at your backyard feeders, contact local wildlife control authorities about the possibility of using humane traps to remove squirrels from the area. Local regulations on this will vary.

What You Shouldn’t Do

While it can be frustrating to try several squirrel-proofing methods only to see seed continually disappear, there are certain techniques that should never be used to control squirrels.

• Hunting: Shooting squirrels is illegal in many areas and it is too likely to also injure birds when aiming for squirrels.
  • Poison: Poisoning seed or setting poisoned bait for squirrels can result in dead birds that sample the bait as well as other affected wildlife.
  • Cats: Do not release a cat to hunt squirrels, as the cats are just as much a threat to backyard birds as they are to other feeder guests.
  • Grease: Adding grease to a pole or hanger to make it too slippery to the squirrels is not only largely ineffective, but it can coat the animals’ fur as well as birds’ feathers and cause illness and vulnerability to predators.

When All Else Fails

Even when using several techniques, it isn’t always possible to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder. If the squirrels refuse to leave, ceasing all backyard birdfeeding for several days or weeks may encourage the squirrels to move on, but it is equally likely that as soon as new feeders are put out the squirrels will return.
Some backyard birders, instead of eliminating squirrels, compromise with them by creating a squirrel feeding station away from the birdfeeders. Easier to access feeders with tempting treats such as nuts, corn and berries may attract squirrels’ attention and let the birds enjoy their feeders without competition. This also lets backyard nature enthusiasts enjoy the intelligence and antics of squirrels without the frustration of seeing expensive birdseed eaten so quickly.
In the end, squirrels are just as much a part of backyard wildlife as birds. While it is possible to squirrel-proof a birdfeeder and otherwise deter these visitors from frequent meals, an occasional squirrel visit is to be expected at any backyard birdfeeder.

http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeed...rooffeeder.htm

Hulk
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
But squirrels are cute!

Scimitar
07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
So were those gremlins :D

Scimi

Abz2000
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
But squirrels are cute!
innit? :)

the one i fed, i think it was quivers crisps

جوري
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Ugh they're vile and wasteful.. Won't even eat the whole kernel!

'Abd-al Latif
07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
I got the bird feeders just for this very reason: to give sadaqah by feeding birds. The problem with squirrels is that they cause general havoc in the garden and I really don't want the problem to escalate.

'Abd-al Latif
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM

This is what I feel like doing ;D

'Abd-al Latif
07-31-2012, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Wa-alaikumsalam,

SubhanAllah!

How clever these little creatures can be!

Awww.....dont kill ' em!

They're just...... teeny, weeny, cuddly, cutie-pies!

Naughty babies ok? : )

Have mercy!

Put up some spinning wheels in the garden, so they can play too! lol : )

I found this for you bro 'Abd-al Latif:
Good stuff. I'll try some of these tips inshaa'Allah :).

Scimitar
07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
CATAPULT !!! Roffles :D

Scimi

sister herb
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Is it ok to hurt animals only because you feel they annoy you? Better after kind of catapult flying go to look that animal and end its suffering if it is hurted.

:raging:

~Zaria~
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
^ He catapulted that baby squirrel!!!

It may of hit into the tree,
Or crashed into some rocks!

I feel like catapulting that dude into space!

:''''(

GuestFellow
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Animal cruelty?

I personally did not find the video funny.

Scimitar
07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Ok, apologies if I offended anyone.. I only found it funny because br Abd'al Maajid was so frustrated that he posted that vid.

Of course, kindness to animals is a part of Islam. So please forgive my insensitive roffle comment.

Scimi

جوري
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
They're freaking pests people.. Let's have a reality check.. I guess no one caught anything from a rodent that wasn't resolved in a day or two :skeleton:

sister herb
07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
What if I feel cats annoying me? They come to my garden and keep noise, they make mess there and they pee... smells. They are kind of pests to me. Is it ok I put there food with poison what kills them but hey they are not cute of my mind, just annoying (and maybe danger to health too) pests.

:hiding:

We can find people whose are annoyed about most of kind of animals of the world. Is it ok to kill all only because they annoy just someone?

جوري
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
What if I feel cats annoying me? They come to my garden and keep noise, they make mess there and they pee... smells. They are kind of pests to me. Is it ok I put there food with poison what kills them but hey they are not cute of my mind, just annoying (and maybe danger to health too) pests.

:hiding:

We can find people whose are annoyed about most of kind of animals of the world. Is it ok to kill all only because they annoy just someone?
I don't advocate the killing of animals because they're 'annoying' I advocate proper disposal of them when they're pests there is a difference. Believe it or not Plagues are carried by rodents.. now we call the plague Yersenia Pestis but it doesn't make said diseases any less harmless simply because we have antibitics.. They still carry a large number of diseases. I'd hate to think of you spelunking and encountering bats and finding them cute catching something from them is almost always universally fatal!
Cats may not carry the same type diseases as rodents but still can cause things like cat scratch fever and bartonella henselae and especially dangerous and fatal to pregnant women and AIDS pts. is Toxoplasma gondii.. so I guess pet and love em at your own risk but I am personally not being arbitrary. He needs to get rid of them!

:w:

sister herb
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I read some years ago that squirrels in America may carry Yersenia Pestis by they fleas. I too agree it is not good be too close contact to them; both to humans and squirrels too - some people may hurt squirrels if they trust people too much. By that reason (Yersenia Pestis) it might better if brother would stop feeding even birds in his garden - as it brings also squirrels to there. Killing squirrels might not resolve problem.

How many people have died to pestilence in USA yearly? By squirrels fleas?

جوري
07-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I read some years ago that squirrels in America may carry Yersenia Pestis by they fleas. I too agree it is not good be too close contact to them; both to humans and squirrels too - some people may hurt squirrels if they trust people too much. By that reason (Yersenia Pestis) it might better if brother would stop feeding even birds in his garden - as it brings also squirrels to there. Killing squirrels might not resolve problem.

How many people have died to pestilence in USA yearly? By squirrels fleas?
Again, you're taking just one thing out of my post and concentrating on it. It isn't about Yersenia and as I have clearly stated we have antibiotics if we realize what it is early enough. It is that they carry a host of diseases and are generally pests. Pests are those that attack foods and crops and chase away other more desirable creatures. He wants birds in his garden and not goofers, not rodents it is his right to have the type of garden of his choosing.
I'd like to have birds in my garden I don't want them to be Kytes or other types of raptors. Are we just being politically correct or are we using reason? because I really abhor the first!

sister herb
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
I don´t understand about difference of diseaces as much than some others but if feeding birds brings also others to garden, isn´t it better to stop feed anyone? Birds come to there anyway like making to them nests. They find they food from nature.

I don´t know conditions in America, but even in here they do so.

Like:

جوري
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
I don't agree that it is better to feed anything no- firstly they're not human beings and there's a delicate balance to life and nature.. by this logic we'd stop animals from hunting and eating each other.

sister herb
07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't agree that it is better to feed anything no- firstly they're not human beings and there's a delicate balance to life and nature.. by this logic we'd stop animals from hunting and eating each other.
Actually you don´t need to agree with me at all - that was my opinion how to stop annoying animals come to eat food someone has left.

^o)

People may think squirrels are pests, cats are pests, wolves are pests, elephants are pests for they harmony life and find some way to get rid of them. People are good to find reasons. To me squirrels are part of nature I respect and like to follow they life - as like birds too. So to birds I make nests to my garden and to squirrels leave some extra peanuts at winter here.

'Abd-al Latif
08-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Just to clarify, I wouldn't actually do that to a squirrel. In fact I wouldn't do that do to any animal.

The problem with squirrels is that they look very adorable because of their size and appearance, but they can soon become a nuisance in gardens. They dig up holes to bury their nuts, unearth and eat the seeds that you plant in your garden and can even go as far as making their house in your attic if they feel comfortable enough around you. They're very stubborn as well and don't leave you alone despite attempts to rid them.

Though I really want to rid them from my garden, I won't harm them in the process. I still hope for a reward from Allah for all the food they eat that wasn't put there for them and being a nuisance :).

sister herb
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Salam alaykum

as you know "Allah loves those most whose He tests". Who knows, maybe Allah has sended you herd of stubborn squirrels to increase your patience.

:giggling:

By the way; peanut-garden might be beatiful too - as squirrels never remember all they caches.

جوري
08-01-2012, 04:55 PM
In fact I wouldn't do that do to any animal.
hmmmmmmn I'd hate to think of your wife having to take care of those things for you because you have a faint heart..
would you kill this cute bird?

If it were descending on your garden I sure hope you would. Even though it seems beneficial and rids of rodents..

Narrated Hafsa: Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog." (Book #29, Hadith #54)

Narrated Aisha: Allah's Apostle said, "Five kinds of animals are harmful and could be killed in the Haram (Sanctuary). These are: the crow, the kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the rabid dog." (Book #29, Hadith #55)

Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog." (Book #54, Hadith #531)

rodents do fall under that category, there's a wisdom behind that and there's an eco system that Allah swt is responsible for balancing. You're to do your duties. If elephants were walking up in your garden then I'd strike a tent and charge admission but get on it and get rid of the pests!

جوري
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
To add to the above because I detest irrational emotionality which is bound to rear its ugly head at some stage:
there is a hadith that says once when the prophet [saw] was waiting for the angel jibril to come and meet him at a pre-arranged time, jibril [as] did not turn up, and jibril [as] had said later that the reason why he did not turn up was because their was a [stray] dog in the prophet's [saw] house; then the Prophet [saw] ordered that a culling of dogs be carried out, so there was nothing wrong with that, as culling of dogs and many other animals [when they become too much of a nuisance] are carried out by all countries even in this day ansd age; it's a neccessity for humans to live without major problems caused by some animals getting out of hand; in the case of the problem during the Prophet's [saw] time, the dogs had reached such a number that they were straying into peoples houses and this was the cause of even revelation? coming to a halt [for a period]

as for now, killing of non-dangerous dogs are prohibbited ...:

Asalam Aleikum,
Dear Sir I would like if you could elaborate on the matter with regards to dogs in Islam. Is there a Hadith that permits killings of dogs, and is it with regards to any dogs or black dogs? Thank You.

Answer:

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuHu,

Regarding the command to kill dogs, the As-hab opined that it is permissible to kill a rabid dog; yet, a harmless dog, irrespective of its color, may not be killed. Imam al-Haramayn stated that the command to kill dogs was abrogated. It was related that the Prophet Muhammad ordered the killing of dogs. Then, that was abrogated, except for pure black dogs. And thereafter, killing any harmless dog was prohibited. Thus, it is only permissible to kill a dog that may cause harm, like one with rabies. (Sharh Sahih Muslim v. 3, p. 536 and v. 10, p. 1931)

And Allah knows best.

Yaqub Abdurrahman

http://www.shafiifiqh.com/?p=1668

and
http://www.ummah.com/forum/archive/i...t-304026.html?

Muhaba
08-01-2012, 09:11 PM
get a cat. she'll scare them away.

sister herb
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
get a cat. she'll scare them away.
Cats eat also birds. ;D

'Abd-al Latif
08-02-2012, 12:28 AM
hmmmmmmn I'd hate to think of your wife having to take care of those things for you because you have a faint heart..
would you kill this cute bird?

If it were descending on your garden I sure hope you would. Even though it seems beneficial and rids of rodents..

Narrated Hafsa: Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog." (Book #29, Hadith #54)

Narrated Aisha: Allah's Apostle said, "Five kinds of animals are harmful and could be killed in the Haram (Sanctuary). These are: the crow, the kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the rabid dog." (Book #29, Hadith #55)

Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog." (Book #54, Hadith #531)

rodents do fall under that category, there's a wisdom behind that and there's an eco system that Allah swt is responsible for balancing. You're to do your duties. If elephants were walking up in your garden then I'd strike a tent and charge admission but get on it and get rid of the pests!

I wouldn't burden my wife with that responsibility to begin with. And I don't believe the success of an individual being tried with a squirrel is a fair way to determine the strength of his heart.

إِنَّ أَڪۡرَمَكُمۡ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ أَتۡقَ
"Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you" (Qur'an 49:13)

To liberate my home from pesky squirrels I must. But to be extreme in my approach I must not.

The ahadeeth you quoted use the wording of 'mice' and, as far as I know, not the general category of rodents. Unless I see an explanation from a shaykh who says so otherwise, I won't resort to killing.

Scimitar
08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't consider Squirrels as rodents.

They don't eat rodent food... they got more class than rats and mice :D

They are pests though... CATAPULT (sorry :nervous:)

Scimi

جوري
08-02-2012, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't burden my wife with that responsibility to begin with. And I don't believe the success of an individual being tried with a squirrel is a fair way to determine the strength of his heart.

إِنَّ أَڪۡرَمَكُمۡ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ أَتۡقَ
"Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you" (Qur'an 49:13)

To liberate my home from pesky squirrels I must. But to be extreme in my approach I must not.

The ahadeeth you quoted use the wording of 'mice' and, as far as I know, not the general category of rodents. Unless I see an explanation from a shaykh who says so otherwise, I won't resort to killing.
awwwwwwww.. akhi.. please accept my apologies.. I didn't mean you any offense.. I certainly think very highly of you whether you're kind to rodents or not..:)

BadOlPuttyTat
08-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Having a family raised in the country I will t ell how we do it. We put glue on the post or a residue that is sticky. No joke. You do this and Squirrels are afraid to climb up on it. But some glues dry out quite easily so I would suggest using some sort of oil. But it would be good to see a pic of the bird feeder so we know the positioning of it and how you could trap the squirrels.
Personally I would use a air rifle and shoot them which would kill them and leave the body out. Squirrels will pick up on this the same way ants pick up on dead ants pheromones.

sister herb
08-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Years ago I had mouses in house. I didn´t use poison but trap. When I had all mouses in that trap... I liberated them to forest - very far from my house.

Squirrel is not pests. Just animal.

Hulk
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Just watched a video on youtube of a little girl playing with a dead squirrel:skeleton:

~Zaria~
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I just wanted to make a few comments, before moving on from this thread (theres no need to waste too much time on squirrels in the month of Ramadaan i think):

1. The following hadith:

The Prophet

said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat, the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog." (Bukhari 4:531)

--> refers to rats/ mice.

This does not give indictation (nor is there any other hadith to the effect) that it can be extrapolated to all rodents (which would include squirrels, porcupines, beavers, guinea pigs and hamsters)
If this were so, then we should extrapolate the ruling on the 'crow' to that of all birds as well......this is not so.
If the rat/ mouse is specifically referred to - then the ruling applies these animals.

The opinion that squirrels are pests - is just so - an opinion.
That does not need to be enforced on the rest of the ummah.
There are many among us that find these beautiful creatures of Allah (subhanawataála) as fascinating, highly intelligent, entertaining and in fact very cute!

If this scenario entailed a danger to human life - by way of the squirrel - or any animal - spreading disease, then the life of a human out-weighs that of an animal, and so they should be rightfully put down.

2. Even in the above scenario - let us remember that we are muslims - when dealing with ALL matters of life.
Islam is a religion of tolerance, peace and mercy.

So, the methods used to kill animals (even the 5 listed in the above hadith) should be in a manner that is humane, does not cause undue suffering to the animal and does not involve a slow, torturous process.

Please realise that even though there are many ahadith informing us not to keep dogs at home (unless for security), so too are there ahadith of this nature:

Allah's Apostle

said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that." (Bukhari 4:538)

It was a dog that was fed and saved from thirst.
The prophet (sallahu alaihi wasalam) did not admonish the woman for saving a dogs life. Instead she has been forgiven and promised paradise.

So, please - lets not be cruel and unkind to these animals......just because they are among the listed '5' - and this includes the pig.

They too experience pain.
They too are from among Allah (subhanawatáalas) creations.

They are regarded with a different light, due to various reasons......but this does not justify cruelty and senseless killings.
We are not murderers.
We are muslims.

If there are any in disagreeement with this - this too is fine.

(Ps. theres problems experienced with accessing pages 3/4 of this thread).

:wa:

جوري
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
(Ps. theres problems experienced with accessing pages 3/4 of this thread).
I too have that problem with the pages!
as for the ahadiths. I question whether all those types of rodents existed in Arabia? (I think we can all agree that if we look up the meaning of rodents then we'll find squirrels in that category):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodent
The kyte is a type of raptor and has caused problems to children even as they're rampant in my neck of the wood- I personally don't take things in a literal sense because some kytes are actually useful in ridding of mice whereas vultures (other forms of raptors) might not be useful at all.

I'd personally kill that one!
Some mice can be used for experimentations whereas some squirrels maybe rabid. We slaughter animals for consumption all the time, they too have feelings, pain receptors etc. we're not vegetarians nor are we commanded to be. We're also not commanded to be cruel nor do we balance the eco system out of cruelty or thrill of the kill at least I hope not- but we're given dominion over animals and a brain to discern what's dangerous to our lives, crops, or other animals that are on the brink of extinction or to the eco system as a whole. Pigeons have become a serious nuisance in my city and people were first fined for feeding them, then govt. interfered all together because it was getting out of control.

I look at countries like India where every animal is a potential reincarnate so they give milk to rats:

and they let monkeys into traffic and it is absolutely filthy, it is a cesspool for disease you know. We need to be kind but assertive and use our brains not our hearts when we approach things.

and Allah swt knows best

GuestFellow
08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
If you have a pest problem, try not to cause the animal unnecessary pain and get rid of it by ethical means. Animals must have somewhere to live too. They were here before us as well...

~Zaria~
08-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I thought of this thread when I watched this vid.

Cute!! : )

And true....my cat often sits and watches us when reading salaah.
Im convinced that animals understand the praises of Allah, and they are engaged in His praise as well! : )

'Abd-al Latif
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM

We decided to buy a squirrel trap and alhumdulillah I've caught two squirrels so far :D.

Here they are.

Meet squirrel number one. This furry-tailed second-in-command nut eater was the first to be caught this morning. It (I think it's a female) is young I believe, and is a lot less destructive than its fellow partner-in-crime squirrel number two (second image). After it was caught, I went up to it while it was in the cage to interview it and take a front page picture of it to put it on peskysquirrelnews.com but unfortunately, in a state of extreme frenzy, it only allowed me to take a picture of it's butt :enough!:.

And here we have found-and-guilty, partner-in-crime offender number two. This furry little monster is the ring leader. It chased the birds, ate all their food and seized my back garden for itself and proclaimed it it's base. It ran wild for a few days in my garden, stealing the nuts I placed in the trap from the sides, and occasionally throwing a triumphant glare at me from the other end of the garden so as to say "whose the man?"; but a couple of hours after its partner was caught, it was also locked safely behind bars. This one is however a lot more bold and it allowed me to take a pic of its face after I repeatedly told it to smile for the camera.

Both squirrels were taken to the state prison (by which I mean far away parks) to find new homes.

The cameraman was not harmed in the process. :)

2 squirrels down, one to go!

~Zaria~
08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
MashaAllah akhee! : )

I do believe that Allah has sent these squirrels as a test for you.
Alhamdulillah.

You can now offer your squirrel-trapping services to your neighbours : D

May Allah (subhanawata'la) reward you abunduntly.
Ameen.

'Abd-al Latif
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
MashaAllah akhee! : )

I do believe that Allah has sent these squirrels as a test for you.
Alhamdulillah.

You can now offer your squirrel-trapping services to your neighbours : D

May Allah (subhanawata'la) reward you abunduntly.
Ameen.

I've caught two more since. It's becoming tiresome going back-and-forth.:heated:

I'm beginning to wonder how many squirrels there are in my neighbourhood now.

~Zaria~
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
^ Oh no!

Im thinking, that catching them may not be the solution in this case.....

Have you tried placing the bird food, in ways that are out of reach of the squirrels? (the tips provided on page1?)
Or perhaps something that will give them a tiny electric shock whenever they reach for the food? Soon enough they would be conditioned to stay away......

Dont give up!

Insha Allah, you will find the best way out of this problem too!

'Abd-al Latif
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
^ Oh no!

Im thinking, that catching them may not be the solution in this case.....

Have you tried placing the bird food, in ways that are out of reach of the squirrels? (the tips provided on page1?)
Or perhaps something that will give them a tiny electric shock whenever they reach for the food? Soon enough they would be conditioned to stay away......

Dont give up!

Insha Allah, you will find the best way out of this problem too!
Yeah I've tried some and they've helped but the problem still persists. The spinners and baffles look a little more promising but that means after buying them the current bird feeders will become useless.

Hmmm. :grumbling

sister herb
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
^^ Shocked squirrels... and shocked birds too.

~Zaria~
08-16-2012, 12:25 PM
^^ Shocked squirrels... and shocked birds too.

: )

The birds should be free from harm - as one limb needs to be in contact with the earth to be able to complete the electric circuit --> resulting in the shock.
Which is why, birds are able to sit on electric fences.....

Salahudeen
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
My aunty all ways used to tell me when I was little squirrels are just rats with big tails :hmm:

'Abd-al Latif
08-17-2012, 08:10 PM

I was searching the net for my squirrel problem and I came across the funniest thing. It's called a "spinner" bird feeder. When a squirrel stands on the foot stand next to the mouth of the bird feeder, the battery powered foot stand spins to throw it off. Check this out. I laughed really hard when I saw this.

Serendipity
08-17-2012, 08:14 PM
^
feel sorry for that squirrel

sister herb
08-17-2012, 08:25 PM
That squirrel must feel after like:

imoksmiley 1?1292867624 -

~Zaria~
08-18-2012, 04:34 PM
^ SubhanAllah, that's one resilient squirrel - he held on for so long!

He was probably enjoying the ride, lol!

On a serious note bro - I think ur onto something here.
And it shouldnt be too hard to make - just need to attach a wheel to a rotor.......
Im not too sure about the sensor part, but perhaps you can just have the wheel spinning continously as a start........the little munchkins will get the picture soon enough, insha Allah!

White Rose
08-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I was searching the net for my squirrel problem and I came across the funniest thing. It's called a "spinner" bird feeder. When a squirrel stands on the foot stand next to the mouth of the bird feeder, the battery powered foot stand spins to throw it off. Check this out. I laughed really hard when I saw this.
:wasalamex

I found it funny as well ;D.

'Abd-al Latif
08-18-2012, 08:11 PM
^ SubhanAllah, that's one resilient squirrel - he held on for so long!

He was probably enjoying the ride, lol!

On a serious note bro - I think ur onto something here.
And it shouldnt be too hard to make - just need to attach a wheel to a rotor.......
Im not too sure about the sensor part, but perhaps you can just have the wheel spinning continously as a start........the little munchkins will get the picture soon enough, insha Allah!
One can buy these spinner bird feeders (though very expensive). They're on sale at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Droll-Yankee...5320826&sr=8-1.

They aren't actually motion sensative but weight sensitive. They support the weight of most song birds but spin when triggered by a squirrel's weight.

sister herb
08-18-2012, 08:43 PM
If you can´t get rid of them you better learn to live with squirrels.

By the way, thanks for this thread; before word squirrel was one those english words the most difficult to remember how to write it. After this I will remember it well.

;D Squirrel....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!