/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 1 Kaffarah for every fast missed (does this opinion exist)?

anonymous
08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
:sl:

This question (and some related issues) have been plaguing me. Although I've already got a scholar's ruling (no kaffarah for missed fasts), I would be going to a new scholar soon. That's where the concern about the existence of the opinion comes in. Besides worrying about the worst case scenario for my own self, there's the matter of not thinking well of Allah's mercy because of knowing this might be the ruling for some Muslims.

I read in a booklet that:

According to Imam Hanifa, if a person deliberately does not fast, that person is not required to make kaffarah. Imams Abu Yusuf and Mohammed (Hanafi jurists) were of the opinion that
kaffarah was wajib in such a case.

Under Hanafi law, “A distinction will have to be made between the two acts necessitating
kaffarah. If the kaffarah became wajib a number of times and it was due to sex, then a new
kaffarah has to be given every time the sex act is committed. But if the act which necessitated a
kaffarah was due to eating intentionally, then the number of kaffarahs do not increase, but one
kaffarah will suffice.”2

(link below, sorry I couldn't get the formatting right below, probably because of copy pasting the above)

I also read that in Maliki
fiqh, there is one kaffarah for every broken fast.

I haven't mentioned the "related issues", they might be the main problem I guess. I would most probably be delving into those later with a scholar, but it would be much helpful if I could get this basic thing cleared up. Does this opinion exist, particularly in Hanafi fiqh, but also otherwise?

http://crescentsofbrisbane.org/Files/Iqbal Lambat Ramadan/Week 2/What to do when fasts are broken or missed.pdf

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam

Difference between Qadha, Fidyah, and Kaffarah

Qadha is pay missed fast in Ramadhan by fast in other months. One qadha fast for every missed fast. It's for those who missed fast in ramadhan due to got sick or in travelling.

Fidyah is ransom that should be paid by those who could not fast in Ramadhan and also could not pay this missed fast with qadha. It's for old people or those who have heavy illness.

Kaffarah is a fine that should be paid by those who make mistake intentionally in Ramadhan that made them miss their fast, like did husband and wife who did sexual activity in the Ramadhan day during fasting (not in the night after break the fast). Basically, Kaffarah is punishment.

How about those who missed fast that just because lazy?. According to some Ulama in Hanafiyah and Malikiyah, they need to pay kaffarah. However, according to Jumhur (majority of) Ulama, they do not need to pay kaffarah, but only with Qadha fast.

ardianto
08-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Edit: Double post.

Hamza Asadullah
08-05-2012, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl:

This question (and some related issues) have been plaguing me. Although I've already got a scholar's ruling (no kaffarah for missed fasts), I would be going to a new scholar soon. That's where the concern about the existence of the opinion comes in. Besides worrying about the worst case scenario for my own self, there's the matter of not thinking well of Allah's mercy because of knowing this might be the ruling for some Muslims.

I read in a booklet that:

According to Imam Hanifa, if a person deliberately does not fast, that person is not required to make kaffarah. Imams Abu Yusuf and Mohammed (Hanafi jurists) were of the opinion that
kaffarah was wajib in such a case.

Under Hanafi law, “A distinction will have to be made between the two acts necessitating
kaffarah. If the kaffarah became wajib a number of times and it was due to sex, then a new
kaffarah has to be given every time the sex act is committed. But if the act which necessitated a
kaffarah was due to eating intentionally, then the number of kaffarahs do not increase, but one
kaffarah will suffice.”2

(link below, sorry I couldn't get the formatting right below, probably because of copy pasting the above)

I also read that in Maliki
fiqh, there is one kaffarah for every broken fast.

I haven't mentioned the "related issues", they might be the main problem I guess. I would most probably be delving into those later with a scholar, but it would be much helpful if I could get this basic thing cleared up. Does this opinion exist, particularly in Hanafi fiqh, but also otherwise?

http://crescentsofbrisbane.org/Files/Iqbal Lambat Ramadan/Week 2/What to do when fasts are broken or missed.pdf
Asalaamu Alaikum, According to the Hanafi madhab there is only one kaffarah of 60 consecutive days of fasting regardless of how many fasts were broken in the past by eating or drinking.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!