/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to be happier

Serendipity
08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Source: http://www.productivemuslim.com/ayah...k11v7rXPdubnEz

“So remember Me; I will remember you. And be grateful to Me and do not deny Me” [2:152].
How to Be Happier in Five Minutes a Day

Remember when you got your favourite clothes and bought a new car, and you’ve been happy ever since? No, I didn’t think so.
It doesn’t work that way, does it? We buy things, we achieve goals, we indulge ourselves—but none of it gives us lasting happiness.
So, what does work? The answer is gratitude. Allah

(glorified and exalted be He) makes gratitude equal to His mention as this powerful ayah shows.
Unhappiness often stems fromfear: fear of not having enough, fear of not being good enough.For example, you might be miserable at work because you’re afraid you can’t do your job well, and/or you’re afraid you’ll be fired. If you truly trust Allah

(glorified and exalted be He), you will discover that your daily tool of productivity to counteract fear is gratitude!
So it’s time to get up and TRAIN yourself by making gratitude into a habit. This way you can reduce your fear and open yourself up to happiness. And you don’t need me to tell you that productive Muslims are happy Muslims!
It’s not mystical and it’s not difficult. Here’s the deal:
Each night after your last prayer, make a list of 5 things you’re grateful to Allah

(glorified and exalted be He) for.

It may seem strange or awkward at first, but anybody can think of five things. You could be grateful for your family, a sunny day, a great meal, your health, your best friend, or a special moment. Even if things are going badly, you could be grateful that they aren’t worse.
There’s no need to think big. An-Nu’maan ibn Al-Basheer said: “He who does not thank Allah for small favours, will not thank Him for great ones; and he who does not express gratitude to people (for doing him favours) will not express gratitude towards Allah. Appreciating and mentioning the favours bestowed upon one from Allah is gratitude, and not doing so expresses ingratitude” [Ahmad].
Whether the things on your list are as profound as a parent’s love for a child, or as frivolous as your love for milkshakes, the important thing is to come up with at least five things you’re grateful for, every day.

Why Daily Gratitude Works: the Scientific Explanation

By making a “gratitude list” every day, you train your brain to notice the positive. We encounter so much information every minute of our lives, our brains have to filter out most of it. Just think of this: when you learn a new word, suddenly you see that word everywhere. That’s because it’s been ‘reclassified’ as something important, so instead of leaving it in the background, your brain starts pointing it out to you.
You can take advantage of that effect. By making the daily gratitude list, you put your brain on the lookout for things to be grateful for. Before long, you start noticing them everywhere.
Just by being consciously grateful to Allah

(glorified and exalted be He) for at least five things every day, not only do you become more optimistic and satisfied with your life overall, but you will also sleep better and feel less depressed.
Big or small, what are the things you are grateful for today? Be grateful to Allah

(glorified and exalted be He), be happier, and be more productive!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Masriya
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I'll start making my gratitude list from tonight inshallah!
I'm sure it has no end, but you'll only notice that when you start counting.

"And if ye would count the favour of Allah ye cannot reckon it. Lo! Allah is indeed Forgiving, Merciful."(An-Nahl, 18)

Thank you for this useful thread.

Qurratul Ayn
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
:salamext:

:awesome: thread

Subhan'Allaah

biz
08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Jazakallah khair. Ill inshallah follow this ! Update this thread to see how this works plz :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Serendipity
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I think it works better if you write down the small things that you hardly notice because we already know about the big blessings such as clean water, food, but if you notice the much smaller things such as internet access (which some people don't have) then you do realise how lucky you are alhamdulillah.

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Happiness is by completely detatching the heart from the Dunya (worldy materialistic things) because if our reliance and hopes are in the dunya then we will never be content whereas if our reliance and hopes are in the Akhira (Hereafter) then NOTHING in this world will matter to us or effect us in any negative way.

Serendipity
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
^
Thats true, people are never fully satisfied with their life.

Serendipity
08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
*bump*

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!