/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help FAST converting to Islam?

hollie
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Asaalam Alaykum!!

I'm really thinking about converting to Islam since nearly everyone I know is a Muslim but I have a few questions?? :confused:

I am 15 years old, does it matter what age I am if I convert?
Where can I get the full clothing for women? I have a Hijab already but I can't find the full clothing anywhere, do I order it from a website?
Can I just enter my local Mosque and start praying without asking anyone, I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone :phew

Also, does anyone know a website where I can fluently learn Arabic? I have school but it isn't enough

Thankyou for all the replies :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
:wa:

Welcome to IslamicBoard. :ia: you will enjoy a beneficial stay with us.

It doesn't matter at what age you convert. You can just approach your local Masjid imam and proclaim your Shahadah and then start attending the prayers.

Qurratul Ayn
08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Subhan'Allaah (Glory be to God) at such a tender age that you would like to revert to Islaam!!! Yay!!! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by hollie
Where can I get the full clothing for women? I have a Hijab already but I can't find the full clothing anywhere, do I order it from a website?
You mean the Jilbaab; long, covered, loose-fitting garment??? There are plenty of shops that store this clothing especially in Asian shops... Where do you live? Maybe there are shops nearby you... Or depending where you live, one of us Sisters could help you out

:D

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Wa'Aleikum assalaam :)

First of all, you should not convert if you are only doing it because your friends are Muslim...you should do it because you believe there is one God, Allah SWT and that Muhammed SAWS is the greatest and final Messenger of God.

Secondly, Alhamdulilah you are converting :D I am 13 and I converted a few months ago, so there is definetely no problems with that except your parents, who might be totally against it like mine...

You can get it from a website of course, there are sometimes clothing stores in your area. Things like Jilbab's and Abaya's, while they are Islamic, they are not obligatory, and it is great to wear just like a Maxi Skirt with a sweater or a maxi dress with a sweater. Also you can wear jeans and a loose top.

Remember, Islam is not just a religion, it is a lifestyle. As a new muslim, you can take small steps so it is not so overwhelming, but eventually those small steps lead to a whole new life :D

If you know how to pray, then yes, if you dont know how to pray, then you can also go the the Masjid/Mosque and follow the moments during prayer. But you should get someone you know to teach you how to pray or learn it from a website.

There are programs to learn Arabic, such as Rosetta Stone which costs hundreds of dollars. I was just like you, until I realized how hard Arabic is to learn and that you have to be totally immersed in the language to fully learn it :hmm:

And before you convert, you should definetely think about why you are doing it and who you are doing it for. Many people convert to Islam and they have absolutely no body around them who are Muslim, I even know a Muslim convert from Israel of all places. So be thankful that you know so many Muslims :)

Check out the websites:

www.islamreligion.com (they also have a live chat)
www.newmuslims.com

p.s. if you have any questions then just email me at [email removed] :) Our situations were kind of similar lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jedi_Mindset
08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Wooot, 13 and 15 years old, Masha'Allah. I feel ashamed, i am 16 years old, and still need to speak out my shahadah. i'm planning to do it this month, or in september. pray for me, that it will be soon as possible

Marina-Aisha
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Jedi u should just do it nw! I was like u "I only want to learn he to salat first then convert" but if u learn islam is truth then u should do it! Cos wot if die tomorrow? Just think bout it. Also it's great u want to convert sis but like the other sister said u should b doing it for itself not ur other friends. But if u truly believe in Islam then u should go to mosque..then the imam well talk to u.

hollie
08-07-2012, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
Subhan'Allaah (Glory be to God) at such a tender age that you would like to revert to Islaam!!! Yay!!! :D

You mean the Jilbaab; long, covered, loose-fitting garment??? There are plenty of shops that store this clothing especially in Asian shops... Where do you live? Maybe there are shops nearby you... Or depending where you live, one of us Sisters could help you out

:D
Yes the Jilbaab! I live in Wembley, London. There are plenty of Asian shops nearby me but I have only seen the Hijab. I want to cover myself fully though. How much does the Jilbaab cost?

hollie
08-07-2012, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sumaiya54
Wa'Aleikum assalaam :)

First of all, you should not convert if you are only doing it because your friends are Muslim...you should do it because you believe there is one God, Allah SWT and that Muhammed SAWS is the greatest and final Messenger of God.

Secondly, Alhamdulilah you are converting :D I am 13 and I converted a few months ago, so there is definetely no problems with that except your parents, who might be totally against it like mine...

You can get it from a website of course, there are sometimes clothing stores in your area. Things like Jilbab's and Abaya's, while they are Islamic, they are not obligatory, and it is great to wear just like a Maxi Skirt with a sweater or a maxi dress with a sweater. Also you can wear jeans and a loose top.

Remember, Islam is not just a religion, it is a lifestyle. As a new muslim, you can take small steps so it is not so overwhelming, but eventually those small steps lead to a whole new life :D

If you know how to pray, then yes, if you dont know how to pray, then you can also go the the Masjid/Mosque and follow the moments during prayer. But you should get someone you know to teach you how to pray or learn it from a website.

There are programs to learn Arabic, such as Rosetta Stone which costs hundreds of dollars. I was just like you, until I realized how hard Arabic is to learn and that you have to be totally immersed in the language to fully learn it :hmm:

And before you convert, you should definetely think about why you are doing it and who you are doing it for. Many people convert to Islam and they have absolutely no body around them who are Muslim, I even know a Muslim convert from Israel of all places. So be thankful that you know so many Muslims :)

Check out the websites:

p.s. if you have any questions then just email me at [email removed] :) Our situations were kind of similar lol
That's definitely not the only reason I want to convert to Islam, I honestly believe that there is only one God! My school and friends have been teaching me a lot about Islam.:statisfie

I see a lot of Muslim women who have fully covered themselves: Hijab and the Jilbab. Would it be a good idea to fully cover my face though? :confused:

Yeah, I see it's going to be a huge problem for me to speak and write Arabic fluently as a second language.:( I really need to find a cheap way into learning this beautiful language :hmm:

Thankyou for the detailed answer, I appreciate it :)

hollie
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
What is a Shahadah? I still don't know quite a lot of stuff :exhausted
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
and still need to speak out my shahadah

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Shahda lol I think I spelled it wrong, is your declaration of faith.

In the English it is: I testify there is no God but God and Muhammed is the Messenger of God
IN THE Arabic it is: Ashadu anla illaha illullah, Muhammedan Rasoolullah (best translaiteraton I could do)

Also check this out http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/204/ it is Shahada in detail...

Don't worry about not knowing The Arabic termination, eventually you will know it it took me a while too but once you know a word it is stuck in your brain forever :P

hollie
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Shahda lol I think I spelled it wrong, is your declaration of faith.

In the English it is: I testify there is no God but God and Muhammed is the Messenger of God
IN THE Arabic it is: Ashadu anla illaha illullah, Muhammedan Rasoolullah (best translaiteraton I could do)

Also check this out it is Shahada in detail...

Don't worry about not knowing The Arabic termination, eventually you will know it it took me a while too but once you know a word it is stuck in your brain forever :P
Oh I see :p. Well I've been living around Muslims for about 5 years now and I only know basic Arabic words and sentences :(. Some of the words are unbelievably hard to pronounce! I really want to go classes but they cost way too much!

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Masha Allah!!

First of all, your parents are probably going to be against hijab, let alone jilbab!! Slow down girl :) if you want to wear niqab, face veil, then do it, but you might want to wait until you know why you are doing it, and learn a lot about Islam first through online lectures and your friends!! Niqab is a very big step and most born-Muslims nd reverts who are much older do not even wear it. The face veil is not obligatory, and while I fully encourage you to wear it if you really want to, it is definetely not as easy to wear it as it looks.

Take your time, the worst thing to do is rush in Islam, you should slowly and rationally learn more in depth about the Truth and if you want, learn Arabic. For many reasons it is very hard for English first language to learn Arabic. Although, you should definetely learn to read Arabic even if you do not know the meaning, because that is how you read Quran!!

Let me ask, are your parents okay with your conversion? Because that is one of the biggest problems a convert will come upon physically.

Salaam :)

hollie
08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Masha Allah!!

First of all, your parents are probably going to be against hijab, let alone jilbab!! Slow down girl :) if you want to wear niqab, face veil, then do it, but you might want to wait until you know why you are doing it, and learn a lot about Islam first through online lectures and your friends!! Niqab is a very big step and most born-Muslims nd reverts who are much older do not even wear it. The face veil is not obligatory, and while I fully encourage you to wear it if you really want to, it is definetely not as easy to wear it as it looks.

Take your time, the worst thing to do is rush in Islam, you should slowly and rationally learn more in depth about the Truth and if you want, learn Arabic. For many reasons it is very hard for English first language to learn Arabic. Although, you should definetely learn to read Arabic even if you do not know the meaning, because that is how you read Quran!!

Let me ask, are your parents okay with your conversion? Because that is one of the biggest problems a convert will come upon physically.

Salaam :)
Haha, well I've always wanted to wear a Burka, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... I seriously want Islam to become the main thing of my life.

Islam is starting to be a big part of my life, my boyfriend and I are extremely excited that I am converting and it's really hard not to rush it, haha.

I do some reading at school out of the Quran, my teacher helps me a bit to pronounce the words though.

I doubt my parents will be happy about it, nor will they be mad about it. They were both actually considering the family to convert to Islam, but I think they've changed their minds.

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Haha, well I've always wanted to wear a Burka, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... I seriously want Islam to become the main thing of my life.

Islam is starting to be a big part of my life, my boyfriend and I are extremely excited that I am converting and it's really hard not to rush it, haha.

I do some reading at school out of the Quran, my teacher helps me a bit to pronounce the words though.

I doubt my parents will be happy about it, nor will they be mad about it. They were both actually considering the family to convert to Islam, but I think they've changed their minds.
Wow well it is good that they know about Islam!

Well, honestly it can be hard to change your priorties when you have been living your whole life as a non-Muslim, but if you believe in Allah SWT it is actually amazing :)

Boyfriend? I am sorry if I am acting like a know-it-all, I do not like those kinds of people, but there are no pre-marital relationships in Islam...no boyfriends and such. That is a big part of wearing hijab, burqa, jilbab, you are protecting yourself from Men and saving your purity for your future husband :) This is one of my favorite parts of Islam. Sorry if you already knew this!

hollie
08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Wow well it is good that they know about Islam!

Well, honestly it can be hard to change your priorties when you have been living your whole life as a non-Muslim, but if you believe in Allah SWT it is actually amazing :)

Boyfriend? I am sorry if I am acting like a know-it-all, I do not like those kinds of people, but there are no pre-marital relationships in Islam...no boyfriends and such. That is a big part of wearing hijab, burqa, jilbab, you are protecting yourself from Men and saving your purity for your future husband :) This is one of my favorite parts of Islam. Sorry if you already knew this!
Well with the help of the society I'm currently in, it has really convinced me to convert! :)

Haha, no I didn't mean boyfriend in that way. My best friend is a boy! :P Speaking about boys.. what is marriage like in the Islamic faith? I hope to marry a Muslim man when I'm older! :giggling: Sorry if I'm thinking things too early :giggling:

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Alhamdulilah! A good surrounding will definetely strenghten your Iman (faith)!

Oh, haha, I am sorry that I got all weird :P

Marriage is amazing in the Islamic faith. You are NOT thinking about it too early, I am the exact same way as you, everybody tells me I am silly to think about it at my age but it is one of my favorite parts of Islam. In an Islamic family, each person has a role. The father is the caregiver and mother is the comforter, and while they are not confined to personality traits that is the best way I could explain it. Nothing is more beautiful than a practing-Muslim household :) The best example is the Prophet Muhammed SAWS with his wives, you can read up about him with Khadijah RA, his only wive for around 35 years, and Aishah RA, his favorite wive when he was married to multiple wives. Polygamy is not very common in Islam now I have noticed, at least not American Muslims. This is because it is hard to treat more than one wife fairly and this is the only way that you can marry more than one wife.

As far as the Marriage ceremony, there is something called a Nikkah where you will say "vows" as people in Western culture call them, with the Sheikh (Islamic teacher) or Imam (head of the Masjid). Then there is a big party! Many cultures celebrate them in different ways I think, I do not know too much about the ceremony.

hollie
08-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Alhamdulilah! A good surrounding will definetely strenghten your Iman (faith)!

Oh, haha, I am sorry that I got all weird :P

Marriage is amazing in the Islamic faith. You are NOT thinking about it too early, I am the exact same way as you, everybody tells me I am silly to think about it at my age but it is one of my favorite parts of Islam. In an Islamic family, each person has a role. The father is the caregiver and mother is the comforter, and while they are not confined to personality traits that is the best way I could explain it. Nothing is more beautiful than a practing-Muslim household :) The best example is the Prophet Muhammed SAWS with his wives, you can read up about him with Khadijah RA, his only wive for around 35 years, and Aishah RA, his favorite wive when he was married to multiple wives. Polygamy is not very common in Islam now I have noticed, at least not American Muslims. This is because it is hard to treat more than one wife fairly and this is the only way that you can marry more than one wife.

As far as the Marriage ceremony, there is something called a Nikkah where you will say "vows" as people in Western culture call them, with the Sheikh (Islamic teacher) or Imam (head of the Masjid). Then there is a big party! Many cultures celebrate them in different ways I think, I do not know too much about the ceremony.
Agreed! I've been constantly persuaded by Muslims in my area to convert and I guess it's time!

At what age could I get married then? Marriage seems a bit confusing... Also, are you allowed to have a sexual relationship within a marriage all the time? Or would you still need to hold back your temptation?:hmm:

Sumaiya54
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Well, you can get married at any age, and probably your Muslim friends will explain it better than I do.

Lol well after you get married you can pretty much do what you want sexually, except when you are fasting during Ramadan you can not have intercourse during the day. When a women gets her cycle then she can not have intercourse...that is all i know :)

hollie
08-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, you can get married at any age, and probably your Muslim friends will explain it better than I do.

Lol well after you get married you can pretty much do what you want sexually, except when you are fasting during Ramadan you can not have intercourse during the day. When a women gets her cycle then she can not have intercourse...that is all i know :)
I may get married quite early then :)

Thanks for the advice! :)

Salaam

~Zaria~
08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
MashaAllah!

You 2 are soo cute! : )

I want to hug you both now! : ))

Keep it up sisters!

May Allah (subhanawataƔla) always keep you on the path of the righteous and steadfast.
Ameen.

Ps. Dont forget that you have a family of brothers and sisters here on IB - if ever you need advice/ assistance, insha Allah : )
And above all - you have Allah Taa'la as your guardian and protector - even on the days that you may feel alone/ isolated.
Alhamdulillah.

:wa:

~ AbduRahman ~
08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Great conversation!

Muwaahid
08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Just a few clarifications, it is not obligatory for any one to take the shahadah in a masjid nor is it mandatory to take.it with an imaam. If you know what the shahadah means and u believe in it then don't procrastinate just utter it and while believing in it. Just a sidenote, the shahadah doesn't mean " : I testify there is no God but God and Muhammed is the Messenger of God" this is. Completely incorrect but rather the shahadah means that there is no deity worthy of being worshipped in truth and by right except Allaah and that you bear witness that Muhammad (sallallAhu alayhi wa salam) is His messenger. Because there are other gods besides Allaah but they are not worthy of worship. Like Jesus is considered a god but he isn't worthy of worship, uzair was considered a god but he isn't worthy of worship. Buddah, allat ,al uzza manaat suwaa, yaghooth, nasra were all idols who.were worshipped as gods but none of them were worthy of worship. So our shahadah comprises of two distinct things, an-nafi (Negation) and ithbaat (affirmation) nafi means u negate every deity being worthy of worship laa ilaaha and the ithbaat (affirmation) is illa Allaah except for Allaah. For Allaah alone possesses the sole right to be worship in truth and by right. There are a number of beneficial articles on this webboard explaining tawheed and the shahadah,please review them.
Wa billaahi tawfeeq

Sumaiya54
08-08-2012, 01:16 AM
JazakAllah for sharing that Brother Muwaahid.
I just wanted to point out that:
I testify there is no God but God and Muhammed is the Messenger of God
and
There is no deity worthy of being worshipped in truth and by right except Allaah and that you bear witness that Muhammad (sallallAhu alayhi wa salam) is His messenger

"bear witness" and testify are not that different, correct? There is no God but God is saying that there no God but God. No deity worthy of being worshipped is the same thing as no other God but God right?

I am terribly sorry if I have been mean or offensive I am just pointing out that both of the English pronounciations are not all that different and not completely incorrect. If it is completely incorrect then why do both say there is only One God and that Muhammed SAWS is the final messenger of Allah?

Also, can I please point out that the Arabic Shahada "la Illaha Illulah, Muhammed Rasoolulah," (which is correct, you can ask numerous Sheikhs and Scolars and they will say that this is correct, and I am always confused about the abadahu inbetween Muhammed SAWS, but that is off topic), is the most important, and the English version is just so the revert can understand it.

Again, I am extremely sorry I just wanted to put in another opinion on this. :)

hollie
08-08-2012, 01:44 AM

Asalaam Alaykum

I just got your private message but I can't reply to you since I'm not a full member:hmm:. But yes, I'll definitely e-mail you to show my progress.

Salaam:)

AabiruSabeel
08-08-2012, 02:47 AM
:sl:

Shahadah means to testify or to bear witness.

In Arabic, it is أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن محمدا رسول الله
I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

You can also say "I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger." ('Abduhu wa Rasooluh in the second part)

La ilaha in Arabic can also be translated as There is not deity worthy of worship ... In Arabic, the wording will remain same.

If you only say لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله "There is no god but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah" without saying the "I bear witness" part, then that is known as the Kalimah.

Sumaiya54
08-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Oh okay, I'm so sorry about that before, I am new did not known that. So sorry person that I corrected before!! Thanks soooo much for correcting me!!!

Galaxy
08-08-2012, 05:08 AM
:sl:
maashaa Allah

may Allah make it easier for you, alhamdulillah you're on the right path

glo
08-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Welcome to the forum, Hollie. :welcome:

Your whole family considered converting to Islam?
Tell me more about that! What happened?

Good brother
08-09-2012, 09:33 PM
hollie, welcome to the forum

You have to rush to the mosque right now, attend prayers of taraweeh , Don't miss it before Ramadan is over ( u have a week ). It's an opportunity to meet good muslims in your mosque.

hollie
08-10-2012, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Good brother
hollie, welcome to the forum

You have to rush to the mosque right now, attend prayers of taraweeh , Don't miss it before Ramadan is over ( u have a week ). It's an opportunity to meet good muslims in your mosque.
I went yesterday and today and enjoyed it! How many times should I be going to mosque though?

Sumaiya54
08-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Sorry to answer her question (Good Brother),
Taraweeh is late at night, in the US it goes until around 12 or 1 in the morning. It is not obligatory for a women to go to the Masjid (Mosque in Arabic) but as Good Brother says a great way to meet new people :) There is no amount of time that you "should" be going, you can pretty much go whenever you want. There is no real difference between going 5 times a day for each prayer, or praying all 5 prayers at home for a women. Going to the Masjid is Sunnah (actions of the Prophet), though, especially for Zuhr (mid-day prayer) on Friday called Jumaauh.

hollie
08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Sorry to answer her question (Good Brother),
Taraweeh is late at night, in the US it goes until around 12 or 1 in the morning. It is not obligatory for a women to go to the Masjid (Mosque in Arabic) but as Good Brother says a great way to meet new people :) There is no amount of time that you "should" be going, you can pretty much go whenever you want. There is no real difference between going 5 times a day for each prayer, or praying all 5 prayers at home for a women. Going to the Masjid is Sunnah (actions of the Prophet), though, especially for Zuhr (mid-day prayer) on Friday called Jumaauh.
So I don't HAVE to go to my local mosque?

Abdullaah
08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Muwahid you said that La Ilaaha Illallaah does not mean there is no God but God
and you continued to say, because there are other Gods.

So, if there are other gods how many in total? I await your answer.

Abdullaah
08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
If you believe in the Quran, Read if you wish

Sahih International
Your god is one God. But those who do not believe in the Hereafter - their hearts are disapproving, and they are arrogant.

Surah an nahl ayah 22.

La ilaaha =(there is no God) Illaa(except) Allaah(God).

As for those who insist on God to be called Allaah. Then also insist that La ilaaha Illaa also be untranslated.

So, Sumaiya may Allaah bless you with more beneficial knowledge you are right.

Marina-Aisha
08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
So I don't HAVE to go to my local mosque?
she she saying u dont have to attend tarawweh prayer, u can go to mosque much as u like( if the mosque has a women section, some dont) as women get more reward to pray at home but yea u can go as much as u like.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!