/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A fast way to learn Arabic for a new Muslim?? Help! :(

hollie
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Asalaam Alaykum my brothers and sisters!

I'm currently converting to Islam. I've bought all of my clothes: hijab, niqab etc. The problem is that I am moving to a different part of London in a few months where there is a lot more Muslims who only speak Arabic and can't speak a word of English :(. Unfortunately, my first language is English and I only know a few sentences and words in Arabic:nervous:. I'm also going to an Islamic school once I move there, in order to help me learn more about Islam. It's going to be really embarrassing if I'm not able to speak Arabic fluently there! :exhausted. I've wanted to get tuition but it costs way too much! :hmm:

Help please! Thankyou for all the replies, Salaam!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Crimson
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Salam sister,

I'm sure the Muslims there will also know how to speak English since they live in London so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the Islam school, actually I think people will be grateful that someone who has converted to Islam is now attending their school and you would be surprised at the amount of Muslims that are still learning Arabic, so that's not new to them, nothing to be embarrassed about. The hell, I'm Lebanese (arab basically) and cant read or write Arabic yet, only started learning :P

I am starting to learn here, I got the alphabet down in one day which is a good start, "www (dot) madinaharabic (dot) com" (sorry can't post links yet) use the free course, it's very helpful. You can also buy books for beginners and learn from them, just browse the the internet but I do recommend that site to start of with if you can't get tuition.

Remember it takes years to be fluent at a language so don't give up, dedicate some of your time and you'll learn it easily :)

tango92
08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Alhumdulillah your a new muslim, i recommend finding a teacher, or some arabic classes for beginners in your area. You'll learn fastest in that environment, i think. you should ask in your local mosque if they do any - some mosques have a large "revert population" so im presuming they would do beginner classes.

if not, I recommend youtube lol

~ AbduRahman ~
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crimson
I am starting to learn here, I got the alphabet down in one day which is a good start, "www (dot) madinaharabic (dot) com" (sorry can't post links yet) use the free course, it's very helpful. You can also buy books for beginners and learn from them, just browse the the internet but I do recommend that site to start of with if you can't get tuition.
This site brother Crimson mentioned will be helpful In Sha Allah. I have recommended it for someone in the past. The helpful part, especially when learning the Arabic letters, is that you can hear each letter separately in different position with the vowels. Hope it helps In Sha Allah.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hollie
08-08-2012, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crimson
Salam sister,

I'm sure the Muslims there will also know how to speak English since they live in London so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the Islam school, actually I think people will be grateful that someone who has converted to Islam is now attending their school and you would be surprised at the amount of Muslims that are still learning Arabic, so that's not new to them, nothing to be embarrassed about. The hell, I'm Lebanese (arab basically) and cant read or write Arabic yet, only started learning :P

Remember it takes years to be fluent at a language so don't give up, dedicate some of your time and you'll learn it easily :)
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I go there often and I've hardly heard any English words. Haha, well I'm very glad that I've been convinced to convert. That's interesting. Aren't Muslims supposed to learn Arabic when they are young? Thank Allah we both have the same situation here, haha. Thankyou so much for the link, it looks quite useful :)

hollie
08-08-2012, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
Alhumdulillah your a new muslim, i recommend finding a teacher, or some arabic classes for beginners in your area. You'll learn fastest in that environment, i think. you should ask in your local mosque if they do any - some mosques have a large "revert population" so im presuming they would do beginner classes.

if not, I recommend youtube lol
I have thought about going to classes but it costs way too much. Hopefully they'll teach at my Islamic school. YouTube has only taught me greetings and words, I need to speak it fluently. I guess it's better than nothing though lol :p

Crimson
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hollie
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I go there often and I've hardly heard any English words. Haha, well I'm very glad that I've been convinced to convert. That's interesting. Aren't Muslims supposed to learn Arabic when they are young? Thank Allah we both have the same situation here, haha. Thankyou so much for the link, it looks quite useful :)
Well I was born and grew up here and my parents never taught me Arabic so was kinda unlucky, that goes for a lot of people here too. Maybe you only hear Arabic because they are both Arabs so they just talk in their own language? I doubt that a whole area in London is 100% Arab, you have to know English to survive here :P But yeah check the site out :)

tango92
08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
i have some resources that i can give you, if you dont mind self study

the stuff i have is good because it goes through reading, writing and understanding alhumdulillah -

beginner arabic

if you read HWK 0 - there are links and instructions on further resources and classes

I hope it benefits you

Salam

Sumaiya54
08-10-2012, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hollie
Aren't Muslims supposed to learn Arabic when they are young?
Majority of Muslims do not speak Arabic, all though most of them can read Arabic but not understand it, that is how you recite Quran.

pipay
08-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Don't worry about that, anyway, english is the universal language, so they should be ashamed that they don't know english. hehe. (half truth, half joke).

You can also try to search for some small groups who are teaching arabic like what I did 2 years ago, although they are just giving the basics, but it's very useful for starters. Also, I suggest you to make some arabic speaking friends that could help you too and you can practice speaking with them.

hollie
08-13-2012, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by pipay
Don't worry about that, anyway, english is the universal language, so they should be ashamed that they don't know english. hehe. (half truth, half joke).

You can also try to search for some small groups who are teaching arabic like what I did 2 years ago, although they are just giving the basics, but it's very useful for starters. Also, I suggest you to make some arabic speaking friends that could help you too and you can practice speaking with them.
I have friends that fluently know Arabic but they insist on speaking English to me since I'm English, lol

Caller الداعي
08-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Dont worry something about reverts that makes Muslims want to be extra helpful to them. They wont mind about the language im sure. Besides like the brother said its London so they should know English inshallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!