/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I feel intimidated wearing a Hijab

islamicwoman
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Salam Brothers and sisters;
:sl:

I am wanting to see advise on my matter;
I live in the UK and as you know Muslims are not the best of faiths accepted by UK citizens. When I wear a a Hijab I feel really isolated
because everyone around me just looks at me ( and at work) because I am wearing a Hijab. I also don't live in the best of towns.

Instead I wanted to ask can I not just wrap a scarf/stole around my body and cover all the front side of my body?
:hmm: It feels really awkward saying this but when I visited Pakistan many girls do not bother wearing a scarf when they go out.

I am planning on moving but I want to know if its permissible.

Jisakllah
:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamicwoman
Salam Brothers and sisters;

I am wanting to see advise on my matter;
I live in the UK and as you know Muslims are not the best of faiths accepted by UK citizens. When I wear a a Hijab I feel really isolated
because everyone around me just looks at me ( and at work) because I am wearing a Hijab. I also don't live in the best of towns.

Instead I wanted to ask can I not just wrap a scarf/stole around my body and cover all the front side of my body?
:hmm: It feels really awkward saying this but when I visited Pakistan many girls do not bother wearing a scarf when they go out.

I am planning on moving but I want to know if its permissible.

Jisakllah
:wa:

My sister there is no such dispensation for not wearing hijaab. Also we should not look at other people who are not fulfilling their obligations like you mentioned about certain sisters who do not cover in pakistan. One will always find people who do not fulfill their obligations but they will be accountable for themselves on the day of judgement and we will be accountable for ourselves. It will be every person for themselves on that day so we should be concerned with fulfilling our own obligations and also at the same time have concern in our hearts for those who do not fulfill their obligations and do our best to invite them towards Allah in the best manner possible using wisdom and tact in our approach as it is our duty to enjoin good and forbid evil. We should also want for others what we want for ourselves. But we should not jump off the cliff if others are also jumping off but instead we should realise that what Allah has made obligatory upon us should be our primary and main concern in life with everything else being secondary.

What we must also realise is that most people who may look at you do not necessarily do so out of spite or hatred but merely out of curiosity. Many of them are also intrigued and even find it a good thing. So do not give in to waswas (insinuating whispers of shaythan) and think that they are looking at you out of hatred etc as that is not reality. On top of that it is a wonderful opportunity to give dawah (invite towards Allah). Humans are curious beings and therefore those that do not understand something will want to enquire or at least look out of curiosity. So do not let this put you off. Even if you do get negative responses just ignore it. There are ignorant people everywhere in every town and location even in places dominated by Muslims. So do not let anyone put you off from fulfilling your obligation.

Muslim Woman
08-16-2012, 06:13 AM

sis , as bro already suggested , don't follow the bad examples of the sisters who don't maintain hijab.

If u wear hijab and people look at u , it's a good chance for u to do a positive publicity of Islam . Many people think Islam orders women to stay at home wearing hijab. Working women with proper hijab can remove the misconception.

If u obey Allah , u will rewarded on the final day . If u disobey , u will be the loser . So , decide , u want to win or lose ?

Scimitar
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Most Muslim women feel liberated from social expectations by wearing the hijaab... and it sends off a different signal to men - basically letting them know that you are not "that" type.

ofcourse, it will take some time before the people you know will get accustomed to it. So you gotta be a little patient until those peeps get used to it.

As for those who don't know you? Well :) I live in London, and plenty of Muslimahs wear hijaab. happily I might add... can't be that bad for you, surely?

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
it will get easier, dont give up

marwen
08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
`Ai shah (May ALLAH be pleased with her) narrated that ALLAH's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of ALLAH be upon him) said:

"Whoever seeks ALLAH's pleasure at the cost of men's displeasure, will win the pleasure of ALLAH and ALLAH will cause men to be pleased with him. Whoever seeks to please men at the cost of ALLAH's displeasure, will win the displeasure of ALLAH, and ALLAH will cause men to be displeased with Him."
[Reported by Ibn Hibban in his Sahih].

40 Hadith..

Muhaba
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
i don't understand why non-muslim women don't feel that way in a muslim country even where most ppl ar fully covered? why are they not self-conscious or feel out of place when they wear revealing clothes? why don't they worry what others will think of them? I think it maybe the trick of shaytan that to them it tells that "you are liberated and all the hijabi muslim women are oppressed" which makes them wear more and more revealing clothes proudly. while to the muslim woman it might say "you seem out of place. what will all these ppl think, etc." to keep muslim women from wearing hijab.

I am unsure if all ppl get such thoughts and some listen to them and change while others have more eman and are more sure of themselves so don't listen to such thoughts.

what you should do is get lectures about hijab and islam which will make you more knowledgeable and increase your faith, because one reason why shaytan becomes successful in attacting ppl is because of their lack of knowledge. knowledge is a fort against shaytan. when you know the benefits and necessity of hijab, you'll be stronger. convert muslim women wear the hijab and many say how good they feel with hijab and how vulnerable they feel without it. also get in contact with other hijabi muslims so tht you get stronger and don't feel alone.

not wearing abaya (burka)/ hijab is a sin and women who wear revealing clothes (too tight or too thin) will not even get the scent of jannah!

islamicwoman
08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
i don't understand why non-muslim women don't feel that way in a muslim country even where most ppl ar fully covered? why are they not self-conscious or feel out of place when they wear revealing clothes? why don't they worry what others will think of them? I think it maybe the trick of shaytan that to them it tells that "you are liberated and all the hijabi muslim women are oppressed" which makes them wear more and more revealing clothes proudly. while to the muslim woman it might say "you seem out of place. what will all these ppl think, etc." to keep muslim women from wearing hijab.

I am unsure if all ppl get such thoughts and some listen to them and change while others have more eman and are more sure of themselves so don't listen to such thoughts.

what you should do is get lectures about hijab and islam which will make you more knowledgeable and increase your faith, because one reason why shaytan becomes successful in attacting ppl is because of their lack of knowledge. knowledge is a fort against shaytan. when you know the benefits and necessity of hijab, you'll be stronger. convert muslim women wear the hijab and many say how good they feel with hijab and how vulnerable they feel without it. also get in contact with other hijabi muslims so tht you get stronger and don't feel alone.

not wearing abaya (burka)/ hijab is a sin and women who wear revealing clothes (too tight or too thin) will not even get the scent of jannah!
Salam
Thanks for this message. I don't actually wear the abuya but instead wear normal clothes with a long jacket, is this okay?

islamicwoman
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Most Muslim women feel liberated from social expectations by wearing the hijaab... and it sends off a different signal to men - basically letting them know that you are not "that" type.

ofcourse, it will take some time before the people you know will get accustomed to it. So you gotta be a little patient until those peeps get used to it.

As for those who don't know you? Well :) I live in London, and plenty of Muslimahs wear hijaab. happily I might add... can't be that bad for you, surely?

Scimi
yes, you do have a point :)

islamicwoman
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah

My sister there is no such dispensation for not wearing hijaab. Also we should not look at other people who are not fulfilling their obligations like you mentioned about certain sisters who do not cover in pakistan. One will always find people who do not fulfill their obligations but they will be accountable for themselves on the day of judgement and we will be accountable for ourselves. It will be every person for themselves on that day so we should be concerned with fulfilling our own obligations and also at the same time have concern in our hearts for those who do not fulfill their obligations and do our best to invite them towards Allah in the best manner possible using wisdom and tact in our approach as it is our duty to enjoin good and forbid evil. We should also want for others what we want for ourselves. But we should not jump off the cliff if others are also jumping off but instead we should realise that what Allah has made obligatory upon us should be our primary and main concern in life with everything else being secondary.

What we must also realise is that most people who may look at you do not necessarily do so out of spite or hatred but merely out of curiosity. Many of them are also intrigued and even find it a good thing. So do not give in to waswas (insinuating whispers of shaythan) and think that they are looking at you out of hatred etc as that is not reality. On top of that it is a wonderful opportunity to give dawah (invite towards Allah). Humans are curious beings and therefore those that do not understand something will want to enquire or at least look out of curiosity. So do not let this put you off. Even if you do get negative responses just ignore it. There are ignorant people everywhere in every town and location even in places dominated by Muslims. So do not let anyone put you off from fulfilling your obligation.
Salam
Thanks for the detail message. I know you have all the right points and I think I was going into the wrong direction.

islamicwoman
08-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Salam, (thread owner)
I have read all the posts. I think I was going the wrong direction and by thinking of even not wearing the Hijab was wrong.
I am saving up the money to buy a house far from the town I live in. Inshallah I will live somewhere where there is a huge Muslim community -
and a good respect for Islam. I would like to thank all brothers/sisters on this thread that have moved me to the right direction. May Allah bless you and grant you entry to the highest heaven possible. I have decided that I WILL wear a Hijab - no matter what people think or ssay. I agree with all the points made.
Ji'sakalahh

TrueStranger
08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Salam, (thread owner)
I have read all the posts. I think I was going the wrong direction and by thinking of even not wearing the Hijab was wrong.
I am saving up the money to buy a house far from the town I live in. Inshallah I will live somewhere where there is a huge Muslim community -
and a good respect for Islam. I would like to thank all brothers/sisters on this thread that have moved me to the right direction. May Allah bless you and grant you entry to the highest heaven possible. I have decided that I WILL wear a Hijab - no matter what people think or ssay. I agree with all the points made.
Ji'sakalahh
Keep the hijab on my Muslim sister. I also live in a place with few Muslims and go to a school where I'm the only minority in 99.9% of my classes. I know that being a minority that is marginalized is difficult, but whatever you do for the sake of Allah, Allah will reward you for it. Bear patient. I think moving to a place that has a higher Muslim population is a good idea. Sometimes, the mere fact of being in the company of Muslims makes me happy. There is power in numbers. May Allah help us be with and live among the Muslims.

I need to move to a Muslim country ASAP!:exhausted

islamicwoman
08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
Keep the hijab on my Muslim sister. I also live in a place with few Muslims and go to a school where I'm the only minority in 99.9% of my classes. I know that being a minority that is marginalized is difficult, but whatever you do for the sake of Allah, Allah will reward you for it. Bear patient. I think moving to a place that has a higher Muslim population is a good idea. Sometimes, the mere fact of being in the company of Muslims makes me happy. There is power in numbers. May Allah help us be with and live among the Muslims.

I need to move to a Muslim country ASAP!:exhausted
Hi,
Yes I do agree, I think most of the time its the factor of where I live that affects me.
I live in the UK and I'm thinking of moving to maybe stockport in manchester
or even Dubai :D < and Dubai would not be a problem there

Sawdah
08-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Salam, (thread owner)
Ji'sakalahh
Wa 'alaykumu salaam ukhti,

Alhamdulillah! I'm happy that you decided to keep wearing the hijaab, sis. I hope you do end up living in a Muslim community. Do you have a masjid in your town? Try visiting it from time to time. You'll sure to find many sisters wearing hijaab there inshaaAllah and maybe that will help forget/take off the pressure you feel at your workplace.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta 'ala keep you and all of us steadfast on the deen, ameen.

:w:

Life_Is_Short
08-18-2012, 06:20 AM
They're all whispers of shaitan. I was thinking a lot like that lately because there are very few girls in my university that actually do wear the hijab. What stopped me? The very reason why I choose to wear it in the first place.

Hulk
08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Don't let the ignorance of others affect your knowledge of what is right. People will respect you more if you stand firm your ground :)

Scimitar
08-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi,
Yes I do agree, I think most of the time its the factor of where I live that affects me.
I live in the UK and I'm thinking of moving to maybe stockport in manchester
or even Dubai :D < and Dubai would not be a problem there
Don't move to Dubai... the only thing Islamic about it is - you can hear adhaan...

The rest? Well, it's worse than London, New York, and Las Vegas rolled into one.

Please reconsider.

Also, the definition of hijaab in modern day has been compromised. Take my neighbours opposite side of the street. Muslim family. 5 daughters. All of them wear hijaab, head (scarf) and then... (facepalm moment)... you look down and you can see leggings, skin tight. What's the point?

One day I approached on of the sisters and told her that she is not adhering to the principle of hijaab, and man - she started waxing off lyrical in pseudo patwa style. All that was missing was the reggae beat. I felt so embarrassed for her. and ashamed for her too. She said things like "what do you know? you aint no aalim, you're more like staalin, so stop stalling, you know ya waanting"... I mean, really? Compromised Muslims... that's what I see a lot of nowadays and it makes me sad. :(

Scimi

Hulk
08-18-2012, 10:04 AM
One time I was walking by a clothing shop and one of the mannequins was dressed in a hijab and a tube top.

Thank goodness I've never actually seen anyone adopt that style.

Muhaba
08-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Salam
Thanks for this message. I don't actually wear the abuya but instead wear normal clothes with a long jacket, is this okay?
It doesn't matter if you wear an abaya or coat, as long as it's long and loose and not in attractive or bright colors that attract attention.

islamicwoman
08-18-2012, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sawdah
Wa 'alaykumu salaam ukhti,

Alhamdulillah! I'm happy that you decided to keep wearing the hijaab, sis. I hope you do end up living in a Muslim community. Do you have a masjid in your town? Try visiting it from time to time. You'll sure to find many sisters wearing hijaab there inshaaAllah and maybe that will help forget/take off the pressure you feel at your workplace.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta 'ala keep you and all of us steadfast on the deen, ameen.

:w:
Salaam, yes there is a Masjid in my town - mainly for men. Yes inshallah I will live in the future in a Muslim country/town.
The problem with the Masjid is that whenever there is a ladies gathering, I feel that the ladies there are on a status rating.
If you are the higher status you move right to the front. If no-one cares about you you just stay where you are.
I shouldn't say this but I don't love it. No-one even talks to me.

islamicwoman
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't move to Dubai... the only thing Islamic about it is - you can hear adhaan...

The rest? Well, it's worse than London, New York, and Las Vegas rolled into one.

Please reconsider.

Also, the definition of hijaab in modern day has been compromised. Take my neighbours opposite side of the street. Muslim family. 5 daughters. All of them wear hijaab, head (scarf) and then... (facepalm moment)... you look down and you can see leggings, skin tight. What's the point?

One day I approached on of the sisters and told her that she is not adhering to the principle of hijaab, and man - she started waxing off lyrical in pseudo patwa style. All that was missing was the reggae beat. I felt so embarrassed for her. and ashamed for her too. She said things like "what do you know? you aint no aalim, you're more like staalin, so stop stalling, you know ya waanting"... I mean, really? Compromised Muslims... that's what I see a lot of nowadays and it makes me sad. :(

Scimi
Salam
Thanks for the message :)
Yes I agree they wear Hijabs with skinny leggings. It isn't the best of things, I know.
It's ok if they wear loose western clothing but tight fittings aren't the best.
I am curious about your statement about not living in Dubai
The Adhan! Wow But what makes it worse than the countries you stated?
Thanks

islamicwoman
08-18-2012, 12:22 PM
It doesn't matter if you wear an abaya or coat, as long as it's long and loose and not in attractive or bright colors that attract attention.
Jisakallah :)

Sawdah
08-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Salaam, yes there is a Masjid in my town - mainly for men. Yes inshallah I will live in the future in a Muslim country/town.
The problem with the Masjid is that whenever there is a ladies gathering, I feel that the ladies there are on a status rating.
If you are the higher status you move right to the front. If no-one cares about you you just stay where you are.
What makes you say that? Do you mean you feel unwelcome?

I would still go sister. Maybe things have changed from the last time you went there. Plus, when you go for 'Eid salah, I'm sure you'll be finding lots of happy muslimahs greeting your way inshaAllah (don't know if it'll be at the masjid though). :)

GuestFellow
08-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Asslamu Aliakum,

This may sound stupid but when your on the streets, carry an umbrella. Use it as a form of self-defense if anyone tries to attack you.

GuestFellow
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Salam
Yes I agree they wear Hijabs with skinny leggings. It isn't the best of things, I know.
Thanks
Salaam,

I would like to add that even Muslim men do not wear appropriate clothing. Some even show off their muscles.

Scimitar
08-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Salam
Thanks
Wassalaam sister.

I'm guessing you've never been to Dubai. I guess, the knowledge of an area is reliant on ones experience of it.

Let me put it this way, what you see of Dubai in adverts and videos, is hype... yes it is pretty, yes it is wealthy, yes, it has Muslims living there...

But, these Muslims engage in prostitution, gambling, clubbing and drinking alcohol a lot. It is a place full of slaves too, Dubai has a very VERY darkside to it. I know, I've researched it aplenty...

...And anyone on this forum who has visited there can testify to that.

I tell you one story about a friend of mine who went to Dubai for a job interview. When he got to his hotel in the evening - two Muslimahs in abaya knocked on his hotel door. He opened it and asked what they wanted. They explained that they had the room last and had forgotten some of their belongings there... He said to tell him where and he would get their belongings for them. But they insisted that it was personal and they would rather go in and get their belonging themselves. So he let them in reluctantly and hid himself in the bathroom. For what seemed like ages. he told me that half an hour had passed and so he left the bathroom. Went into the living room,, and found no one there... he then went into his bedroom and this is what he found. Two naked women laying on his bed.

He was shocked, but my friend is a smart lad - so what he did was, take their clothes and throw them off the balcony then call the police...

The women couldnt run out because they were naked. They got arrested for prostitution...

This was the story of his first night in Dubai... there's more. But I'm gonna leave it there.

Sister, Dubai is the city of sin. It is dubbed the Vegas of the middle east... I say no more.

Scimi

Muhaba
08-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Wow I finally got this multi-quote thingy right! alhamdullillah. I thought i would never learn it. i am quite the technologically challenged individual!

format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
One time I was walking by a clothing shop and one of the mannequins was dressed in a hijab and a tube top.

Thank goodness I've never actually seen anyone adopt that style.
cute baby!

Sister, you should go there and you should try to engage in conversation with the sisters there. It may be difficult but sometimes us newcomers are the ones who have make an effort. Sometimes you may even have to force yourself into talking to someone. a simple, "assalamo alaikum, I am new here. I want to learn more about Islam." will do. or youmight ask some questions about something that they spoke about if there was a lecture. Just sitting around with them and smiling will also help you get into their group. smiling is the best way to get acqauinted with new people. Recently I went to the masjid and there was a circle of African women reciting the Quran. After they finished reading the Quran, one of the women started giving a lecture. at this time i noticed that one of the women had a butterfly embroidered on her shawl, so i wanted to tell her that that was haram since it's the picture of a living thing. I joined their circle and sat next to the woman wearing the embroidered shawl, and started to listen to the lecture while looking for an opportunity to tell her about it. I didn't understand the lecture because the woman was talking in a different language, but understood from the gestures that she was talking about the punishments in the grave and on the Day of Judgment. After the lecture was complete, they did dua. as the women were starting to disperse, I asked the one next to me (the one with the butterfly on her shawl) where they were from and what language they spoke. She said that they were Ethyopians. Then I told her about the butterfly and how it was haram in an unintimidating manner. I got many appreciative smiles from the women. So that's an example of what you can do. Join the group, smile, say salam, ask some questions, etc. And in a few meetings, you'll be as welcome as anyone else. (It's upon you to show that you're friendly and not hostile. Don't listen to the thoughts that say they are on a status rating, because you never know. It may be that they feel similar thoughts about you and might even take you to be unfriendly unless you introduce yourself and start a conversation.)

Salam
Thanks
Speaking of western clothing, i don't know whats so great about pants, especially blue jeans, that so many women from muslim country feel so proud to wear. I find ankle length skirts more beautiful and they are also more islamic (if not too tight) than pants. I think it must be a trick of Shaytan to make sinful things more beautiful to the people although they are not really beautiful.

Wassalaam sister.

I'm guessing you've never been to Dubai. I guess, the knowledge of an area is reliant on ones experience of it.

Let me put it this way, what you see of Dubai in adverts and videos, is hype... yes it is pretty, yes it is wealthy, yes, it has Muslims living there...

But, these Muslims engage in prostitution, gambling, clubbing and drinking alcohol a lot. It is a place full of slaves too, Dubai has a very VERY darkside to it. I know, I've researched it aplenty...

I tell you one story about a friend of mine who went to Dubai for a job interview. When he got to his hotel in the evening - two Muslimahs in abaya knocked on his hotel door. He opened it and asked what they wanted. They explained that they had the room last and had forgotten some of their belongings there... He said to tell him where and he would get their belongings for them. But they insisted that it was personal and they would rather go in and get their belonging themselves. So he let them in reluctantly and hid himself in the bathroom. For what seemed like ages. he told me that half an hour had passed and so he left the bathroom. Went into the living room,, and found no one there... he then went into his bedroom and this is what he found. Two naked women laying on his bed.

He was shocked, but my friend is a smart lad - so what he did was, take their clothes and throw them off the balcony then call the police...

The women couldnt run out because they were naked. They got arrested for prostitution...

This was the story of his first night in Dubai... there's more. But I'm gonna leave it there.

Sister, Dubai is the city of sin. It is dubbed the Vegas of the middle east... I say no more.

Scimi
Yes, Dubai has a dark side and it's not right for a single woman to go there alone. If one goes with male mahram relatives, such as brother or father or husband, or if one has relatives there, then it's all right. I lived in UAE many years ago. There are some things I like about it, although I don't know if the same are still present there. one thing was the hijab. Their traditional hijab is the abaya with shawl. Their shawl was such that it was big enough to cover the chest. In addition, many Emirati women covered all the hair. So their hijab was good. But there were others who didn't wear hijab or abaya and some wore western clothing. mainly these were foreign women.

In many masajid (plural of Masjid) there was taqwa especially during Ramadan. Ramadan in UAE was especially beautiful and i haven't found another place like it, although I haven't been to many places. The few places I have been to don't come close to Ramadan experience in UAE. There is a magical sort of effect there, from all the taqwa.

There is a lot of luxury in UAE which is a drawback. There is also injustice and exploitation of Asian workers. Another bad thing is the forced and hidden prostitution and the forced female dancing. I heard that there were women who were forced to dance in front of men at night and then locked in a hotel during the day. Such things are really bad and dangerous for women. So women travelling to UAE (and other middle eastern countries) should beware of this. In fact, women shouldn't travel anywhere alone as such things exist in many places. not to mention the danger of being kidnapped and sent to some place for such things. There is a good reason that our holy Prophet (Allah be pleased with him) didn't allow women to travel alone without a mahram.

islamicwoman
08-27-2012, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sawdah

What makes you say that? Do you mean you feel unwelcome?

I would still go sister. Maybe things have changed from the last time you went there. Plus, when you go for 'Eid salah, I'm sure you'll be finding lots of happy muslimahs greeting your way inshaAllah (don't know if it'll be at the masjid though). :)
I agree but I feel hesitant because of bad past experiences which i do not want to share.
Thanks for your advice.

islamicwoman
08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Wassalaam sister.

Scimi
Ji'sakallah for your answer.
This has came to me a big suprise!
Is this all areas of Dubai?
Because I live in the UK and I am sure here is is 40 times worse.
And every country has a drawback.
Please tell me which areas of Dubai is this in?
Also Abu-Dhabi,
I just want to work and live and pray.
In a Muslim community.

islamicwoman
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow I finally got this multi-quote thingy right! alhamdullillah. I thought i would never learn it. i am quite the technologically challenged individual!

cute baby!

Sister, you should go there and you should try to engage in conversation with the sisters there. It may be difficult but sometimes us newcomers are the ones who have make an effort. Sometimes you may even have to force yourself into talking to someone. a simple, "assalamo alaikum, I am new here. I want to learn more about Islam." will do. or youmight ask some questions about something that they spoke about if there was a lecture. Just sitting around with them and smiling will also help you get into their group. smiling is the best way to get acqauinted with new people. Recently I went to the masjid and there was a circle of African women reciting the Quran. After they finished reading the Quran, one of the women started giving a lecture. at this time i noticed that one of the women had a butterfly embroidered on her shawl, so i wanted to tell her that that was haram since it's the picture of a living thing. I joined their circle and sat next to the woman wearing the embroidered shawl, and started to listen to the lecture while looking for an opportunity to tell her about it. I didn't understand the lecture because the woman was talking in a different language, but understood from the gestures that she was talking about the punishments in the grave and on the Day of Judgment. After the lecture was complete, they did dua. as the women were starting to disperse, I asked the one next to me (the one with the butterfly on her shawl) where they were from and what language they spoke. She said that they were Ethyopians. Then I told her about the butterfly and how it was haram in an unintimidating manner. I got many appreciative smiles from the women. So that's an example of what you can do. Join the group, smile, say salam, ask some questions, etc. And in a few meetings, you'll be as welcome as anyone else. (It's upon you to show that you're friendly and not hostile. Don't listen to the thoughts that say they are on a status rating, because you never know. It may be that they feel similar thoughts about you and might even take you to be unfriendly unless you introduce yourself and start a conversation.)

Speaking of western clothing, i don't know whats so great about pants, especially blue jeans, that so many women from muslim country feel so proud to wear. I find ankle length skirts more beautiful and they are also more islamic (if not too tight) than pants. I think it must be a trick of Shaytan to make sinful things more beautiful to the people although they are not really beautiful.

Yes, Dubai has a dark side and it's not right for a single woman to go there alone. If one goes with male mahram relatives, such as brother or father or husband, or if one has relatives there, then it's all right. I lived in UAE many years ago. There are some things I like about it, although I don't know if the same are still present there. one thing was the hijab. Their traditional hijab is the abaya with shawl. Their shawl was such that it was big enough to cover the chest. In addition, many Emirati women covered all the hair. So their hijab was good. But there were others who didn't wear hijab or abaya and some wore western clothing. mainly these were foreign women.

In many masajid (plural of Masjid) there was taqwa especially during Ramadan. Ramadan in UAE was especially beautiful and i haven't found another place like it, although I haven't been to many places. The few places I have been to don't come close to Ramadan experience in UAE. There is a magical sort of effect there, from all the taqwa.

There is a lot of luxury in UAE which is a drawback. There is also injustice and exploitation of Asian workers. Another bad thing is the forced and hidden prostitution and the forced female dancing. I heard that there were women who were forced to dance in front of men at night and then locked in a hotel during the day. Such things are really bad and dangerous for women. So women travelling to UAE (and other middle eastern countries) should beware of this. In fact, women shouldn't travel anywhere alone as such things exist in many places. not to mention the danger of being kidnapped and sent to some place for such things. There is a good reason that our holy Prophet (Allah be pleased with him) didn't allow women to travel alone without a mahram.
Salam
Ji'sakallah for such a lengthy message!
Thanks for your advise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!