/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the Kufi / Hat

Beardo
08-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Starting university soon, so I was thinking I should start wearing the Kufi to school - until I realized, I don't even know the virtues!

There is that Desi myth that wearing the kufi is like a helmet so Shaitan can't get in your head.

But I wanted reliable sources. What are the virtues of wearing a Kufi? Do any of you wear Kufi everywhere? Why do you do it? What do you tell someone when they ask you?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hamza abdulhaki
08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
salaam aleykum,

the best thing I can do is to suggest to you this video from Zakir Naik on the topic:

youtube.com/watch?v=JprGVyi03A0

IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
i think its the uniform of a muslim. and you know how it is for uniforms, once you wear it its always a deterrant to embarassing it :)

جوري
08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
You get to appreciate those when in a hot country how protective they're from the heat although the wrong color or thickness can do the opposite of what you desire it to do... I don't think it has significance otherwise.. I think if the prophet or the khalifs were to see our world now a days they'd be more concerned with its socio-economic and geo-political situation over a kufi.. at the end of the day it is up to you .. I can always tell Muslims from other distinguishing traits if that's what you're worried about..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
^ that said, its still pretty important for each individuals sense of person and belonging to wear that kufi :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
It doesn't make you religious bro. It'll just make you stick out for no reason. Being religious doesn't mean sticking out or being weird. There's no reason to go around wearing the kufi when it's not the norm. It might even fool the person into thinking he's more religious because he's wearing it when the vast majority of people aren't so he gets impressed with himself for the extra bit of (unnecessary) clothing. There's no such thing as Islamic clothing or 'muslim's uniform'. Just be normal - wear regular clothing and focus more on who you are inside rather than how "Islamic" your dress is.

It is more of a sunnah to dress the dress of the people of the land because the Prophet (saw) dressed the dress of the land and people of his time - he didn't invent any new styles or way of dressing. People think wearing thobes or shalwar kameez or kufi is Islamic dressing - it's not. It's just an Arab dress or a desi dress. Nothing to do with Islam.

footy_craze
08-27-2012, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
It doesn't make you religious bro. It'll just make you stick out for no reason. Being religious doesn't mean sticking out or being weird. There's no reason to go around wearing the kufi when it's not the norm. It might even fool the person into thinking he's more religious because he's wearing it when the vast majority of people aren't so he gets impressed with himself for the extra bit of (unnecessary) clothing. There's no such thing as Islamic clothing or 'muslim's uniform'. Just be normal - wear regular clothing and focus more on who you are inside rather than how "Islamic" your dress is.

It is more of a sunnah to dress the dress of the people of the land because the Prophet (saw) dressed the dress of the land and people of his time - he didn't invent any new styles or way of dressing. People think wearing thobes or shalwar kameez or kufi is Islamic dressing - it's not. It's just an Arab dress or a desi dress. Nothing to do with Islam.
I agree with the shalwar kameez or thobe part but aren't you suppose to cover your head when you pray?

Tyrion
08-27-2012, 07:40 AM

+infinity

I can't help but feel like most of the people at a university who dress in a flamboyantly Arab style are incredibly artificial... And lame.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
found on ummah forums,

PRAY SALAT WEARING HAT (Topy) OR IMAMMAH

PS: kufi means topy

It is from amongst Islamic and ancient civilisations for men to cover their head. The usage of a hat to cover the head also originates from ancient' time, though there are difference of opinion to the nature of the hat. Imam Bukhari rahimahullah has entitled a heading in his book Sahih Al Bukhari (Page 862 Volume 2) underwhich Allamah Ibn Batal Al Maliki (r.a) states:-

“In there is a proof that to wear kamees, pyjuma, topy etc which are mentioned in the hadith ofAbdullah Ibn Umar (r.a) are amongst ancient commands".

Wearing a topy was not only Islamic and ancient civilisations, but it was also part and parcel of The Prophets and pious predecessors costume and clothing. Hafiz Ibn Al Arabi Al Maliki (r.a) states:-

"Topy was part and parcel of The Prophets and pious predecessors costume and clothing" .

It is proven that The Prophet (s.a.w) too wore a topy. Allamah Qastallani (r.a) says:-

'The Prophet (s.a.w) had an imamaah which was called Sihab. He (s.a.w) wore beneath it a small flat topy which was drawn together towards the head".

Regarding The Prophet (s.a.w) topy, the most credible narration is that of Aysha (r.a) which Hafiz Abu Muhammed Hayan (r.a) who is also known as Abu Shaykh has stated in his book

"The Prophet (s.a.w) wore an elevated topy in his journey and whilst in residence aflat topy which was drawn together towards the head" .(Akhlak An Naby)

Following in the footstep of The Prophet (s.a.w) the Sahabas (companions) of The Prophet (s.a.w) too wore a topy or an imamaah to cover their head. In Jami-u-Tirmizy, Umar (r.a) narrates that I heard The Prophet (s.a.w) say:-

"There are four types of martyrs, a believer whose firm and strong in his iman, whilst encountering and confronting the enemy he gets martyred truly believing in Allah, he 's status on the day of judgement will be such that people will glance at him in this way, after saying this The Prophet (s.a.w) or Umar (r.a) raised their head to the extend that the hat fell. The narrator says that I don 't know whose hat is meant Umar (r.a) or The Prophet (s.a.w) ".

From this narration we get to know that The Prophet (s.a.w)/Umar (r.a) wore a topy..
It is stated in Sahih Al Bukhari:-

"Sulayman Taymy says that I saw on Anas .a such topy (which was attached and joint to the main garment) yellow coloured, made from silk and cotton "
Commentator of Sahih Al Bukhari Allamah Qastallani (r.a) says:-

"And without any shadow of doubt a group from the Companions of The Prophet (s. a. w) wore 'Burnus ' topy (which was attached and joined to the main garment). Amongst them Abu Bakr, Ibn Abbas and Tabyeen (the successors of the Companions of The Holy Prophet (s. a. w). Amongst them Ibn Abu Layla etc ".

The great Scholar Muhadith Sayed Muhammed Bin Jaffer Qataani (r.a) has gathered ahadith of The Prophet (s.a.w) wearing a topy with an imamaah or without it in which indicates the assiduity of The Prophet (s.a.w). Due to this Hafiz Ibn Al Arabi (r.a) has adjudged it sunnat to wear a topy.
The reality of Salat (Namaz) is to present oneself in the court of Almighty Allah, the Lord of mankind. This demands the humanity to present itself with respect and honour. Amongst this respect and honour is»to cover ones head either with a topy or an imamaah.
The clothing and costume of human nature can be divided into two categories; 1.Compulsory
2. Desirable/Preferred. The Quraan in SuratA'araaf Verse number 26 confines the costume in to two categories. Allah says:-

"O ye children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover, as well as to be an adornment to you. "

And in verse number 31 Allah says:-

"O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel at every place of prayer ".

From these verses we get to know that there are some parts of the body which are compulsory and necessary to cover and these are the private parts and those adjoining to it, and some which are required and desired. Abu Hayan Undulusy (r.a) says:-

"It is apparent that 'ZYNAT' (beauty) is every clothing with in which there is dignity and honour. In beauty those clothes are not included which covers the private parts because to cover these parts are absolute and must".

The theologists (fuqaha) have adjudged it makrooh-e-tanzihy to pray salah bare-head due to laziness or to regard it as of non-importance. It is stated in (Alfiqh-al-Islami) "under"(Makrouhat-e-Salah) that:-
To pray Salat bare-head due to laziness is (makrooh). Here the karahiyaat is tanzihy consensusly. The The former Grand Mufti of Pakistan Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Shafee (r.a) says:-
"Not only the covering of private parts in Salat is demanded, but also the clothes and the costume of beauty. Thus for men to pray Salat bare-head, bare-elbows, and bare-shoulders is makrooh whether it is short sleeves or the sleeves have been rolled up above the elbow. It is also makrooh to pray Salat in such clothes and costumes with which the person feels shame and disgrace either to meet or face friends or even to go out. So then how can he present himself in the court of Almighty Allah in this manner?”

The karahiyaat of praying Salat bare-head and bare-elbows can be acquired from The Quraanic word 'ZYNAT' and from the manifestation of The Prophet (s.a.w)". (Ma'ariful Quraan Page 44 Volume 3)

Thus to pray Salat bare-head is against the beauty and embellishment of The Quraan, against the command of The Prophet (s.a.w), against the inherited practice. Nowadays we see Muslim's bear- head and it has become a common practice. Well, this is fashion and nothing else.

To pray Salat bare-head is to resemble and imitate the Christians and the infidels.

The Christians in every aspect of their worship and every place of honour take

their hat off and stay bare-head. The Prophet (s.a.w) has said:-

"Who so ever imitate or resemble a nation then he (will be raised on the day of judgement) amongst them”

Some people are of a view that praying Salah bare-head is mustahab '(preferred), because it is not proven that The Prophet (s.a.w) wore a topy or an imamaah whilst praying Salat nor has it been mentioned in The Quraan. Their views are totally absurd as it has already been proven from the ahadith and from The Quraanic verse number 31 of Surat A'araaf:-

"O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel at every place of prayer"

The Prophet (s.a.w) never ordered anyone to pray Salat bare-head nor did He (s.a.w) prayed Salat bare-head while having clothes at hand. After the demise of The Prophet (s.a.w) the wearing of an imamaah or a topy by Companions are proven too. In Sahih Al Bukhari Hasan Al Basri (r.a) says:-

"People prostrated wearing an imamaah or a topy (Sahih al Bukhari) ".

In the above "athr" (saying) the Companions are meant from the word (AlQowm). That's what Hafiz Ibn Hajar Al Asqalani (r.a) has related in Fathul Bari Page 588 Volume 1.

Contrary to this, the narration (and sometime The Prophet (s.a.w) prayed his Salat by placing the hat in front as sutrah) narrated by Imam Jalaudin Suyuti and Hafiz Ibn Ul Asakir (r.a), but this was because of a reason. The reason being placing the hat as sutrah. Thus praying bare-head without any suitable reason is not proven.

Some people say that praying Salat bare-topy is valid. The answer to this is Salat is valid without wearing a top garment (shirt, kamees etc) i.e. top half of the body being naked. Why be naive? Anyone with some sense would not pray Salat without a vest or 3 shirt, so why then do some people insist reading Salat without a topy?

So every Muslim should make a habit and strive to wear a topy or an imamaah as part of his Muslim identity, if not, then at least while praying Salat. May Allah give us tawfeeq to act Ameen………………..
im shocked that members have belittled the islamic dress on this thread.

Periwinkle18
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Well guys rarely wear a kufi/topy now cuz it ruins the spikes guys make nowadays lol Buh it feels kinda good Wen u see ppl wearing it n looks really good on lil boys. Akhi if you feel like wearing it then go ahead :) you don't have to ask anyone just listen to your heart n may Allah reward u for wearing it inshaAllah.

Hamza Asadullah
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Starting university soon, so I was thinking I should start wearing the Kufi to school - until I realized, I don't even know the virtues!

There is that Desi myth that wearing the kufi is like a helmet so Shaitan can't get in your head.

But I wanted reliable sources. What are the virtues of wearing a Kufi? Do any of you wear Kufi everywhere? Why do you do it? What do you tell someone when they ask you?
:sl:

To wear a topi/hat is well established Sunnah for a Muslim man. Many great scholars of the past and present have emphasised that a Muslim should wear a hat particularly in prayers as in the Hanafi school of thought it is reprehensible to pray wihout a hat if one is able to do so.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) also wore a hat:

Abu Kabsha (Ra) narrates that the hats of the companions of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) used to be round and spacious. (Mirqaat vol.8 pg.246)

It is narrated by Tabrani on the authority of Ibn Umar (Ra) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) used to wear a white hat. (Ibid)

Hassan Basri (Rahmatullah Alayhi) states that the people (Sahaaba - Radhiallaahu Anhum) used to make Sajda (prostrate) upon their turbans and hats. (Bukhari vol.1 pg.56; Rashidiyya)

Mullah Ali Qari (Rahmatulah Alayhi) states that the wearing of the hat has become one of the salient symbols of Islam. (Mirqaat vol.8 pg.246) It is the only outward and unique salient feature that distinguishes a Muslim from a non-Muslim. No other community group or people wear the Muslim type hat.

The crown of the beiever: The Turban:

What was also very emphasised in the past and present is to wear the crown of the believer: The turban (Imaamah):

'Abd Allah ibn 'Umar said: "The Prophet used to wind the turban around his head and tuck it in behind him, letting its extremity hang down between his shoulders."

Jabir (Ra) said: "The Prophet entered Mecca on the Day of victory wearing a black turban and he loosened its two ends between his shoulders." (Muslim & Abu Dawud)

All of the founding Imams of the four schools of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah wore the turban. Imam Malik (Ra) stressed the wearing of the turban, particularly for the learned:

"The turbans should not be neglected," he said. "I wore the turban with
nary a hair on my face. When I asked permission from my mother to pursue
the scholarly life she said: 'First, wear the garb of the scholars'; she
took me and dressed me in short-hemmed (mushammara) garments, placed a
tall headcover on my head and tied a turban around it then she said,
'Now go and write the Science'.

"I saw over 30 men wearing the turban in my teacher Rabi'a's circle. He
would not put it down before the Pleiades rose (late at night) and he
used to say: 'I swear it strengthens wit!"'

Such is the high nobility of the turban that we are told even the angels wore it. Of the Qur'anic verse, "Your Lord shall help you with five thousand angels bearing marks" (Surat Ali 'Imran, verse 125)

Ibn 'Abbas, the greatest of the early exegetes, said: "Th e signs are that they wore turbans."

The Sunnah is both inward and outward:

The Sunnah covers both external and internal and both are just as important as each other just like external hijaab is just as important as internal modesty. The Prophet, his Companions, the Successors, and the totality of the pious after their time and down to ours over the centuries have all worn the hat, turban, the beard, and the loose-fitting clothes associated with Islam which distinguishes us from non Muslims.

So how can any Muslim condone abandoning any of these aspects of our Deen (way of life) under the pretext that they concern externals or customs or "are not of the customs of today", or that they belong to "the past". Surely it is only the enemies of Islam would oppose those who are faithful to each and every aspect of the Sunnah, including the Prophet's manner of dressing, eating, and everyday living.

What would they say of the Companion `Abd Allah ibn `Umar, who used to dismount in order to walk on the exact same spot the Prophet had put his steps although such walking was not part of his lawgiving? (Bayhaqi, al-Sunan al-kubra 5:245)

Subhaanallah the companions followed the Prophet down to the smallest of details and to them they loved nothing less but to follow the Prophet in each and every aspect of their life no matter how small it may seem.

Almighty Allah says: "Say (O My Prophet to the believers): If you love Allah, follow me."

The deen of Islam which consists of the Qur'an and the Sunnah which not just concerned with the inwardness but also the outwardness. It encompasses EVERY aspect of our lives including what we wear and is not merely exclusive to inwardness.

The proof that following the Prophet's example in the minutest details of dress is a Sunna is given by the following hadith in Bukhari:

Narrated Ibn `Umar (Ra): The Prophet wore a gold ring and then the people followed him and wore gold rings too. Then the Prophet said, "I had this golden ring made for myself. He then threw it away and said, "I shall never put it on." Thereupon the people also threw their rings away. (Bukhari)

So his companions did not limit themselves to following him inwardly but they also followed him outwardly, even to the most smallest of detail as mentioned in the couple of examples above. To them Each and every Sunnah was just as important as the other whether it was the dress or everyday matters such as eating, walking, and sleeping etc.

Make the Sunnah more dear to us than anything else:

Surely one would do anything for a beloved. So if the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is that beloved to us then we would do anything and everything to imitate him whether it is an internal or external Sunnah.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “None of you have faith unless I'm dear to him then his father and his son and all Mankind” (Bukhari)

Revive the Sunnah in each and every aspect of our lives:

Therefore let us revive the Sunnah and practise and implement it in each and every aspect of our lives whether internally or externally and let us hold on to it dearly and listen to NO ONE who tells us to do the opposite or wants us to conform to any other ideals which is contrary to it:

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said regarding the reward for reviving his Sunnah:

Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnas which was eliminated after my time will receive the reward of all those who practice it without their reward being diminished... (Tirmidhi (hasan), Book of knowledge; al-Baghawi, Sharh al-sunna 1:233)

Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnah's, he loves me: and whoever loves me is with me. (Tirmidhi)

By following the Sunnah in each and every aspect of our lives can become worship and a means to please Allah. That is the unique thing about Islam that it is not limited to our prayers but encompasses EVERYTHING we do.

So let us make him the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) our role model in each and every aspect of our lives. For in the Hereafter we will be with the ones we loved and if we truly love the Prophet then we will keep his Sunnah alive and practise and implement it in each and every aspect of our lives both inwardly and outwardly.

May Allah enable us to hold onto the Sunnah and make it more dear to us than anything else. Ameen

Hamza Asadullah
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

+infinity

I can't help but feel like most of the people at a university who dress in a flamboyantly Arab style are incredibly artificial... And lame.

What a sad state of affairs when a Muslim makes a judgement and looks down upon another Muslim without even knowing anything about them.

Alpha Dude
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
What a sad state of affairs when a Muslim makes a judgement and looks down upon another Muslim without even knowing anything about them.
x2. That's a low thing to do, Tyrion.

It comes across as prideful, in fact. Which is ironic because you agreed to Muraad's post, a post that includes something about focusing on the inside.

Insaanah
08-27-2012, 09:52 PM

It's best to refrain from passing judgements and our personal opinions on those who wear it or whose dress can be perceived to be associated with Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
What's been asked is:

1) Sources detailing the virtues
2) Mention if you wear one, tell why, and tell how you explain why you wear it.

I don't think it's been asked why he shouldn't wear it (unless of course there is evidence from the Qur'an or sunnah to say it's wrong).

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-28-2012, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
im shocked that members have belittled the islamic dress on this thread.
There's no proof that there is anything that is considered "islamic" dress.

Any clothing can be "islamic" provided it fulfillment the requirements of clothing - covering the awrah, modest etc. Again, the Prophet (saw) simply wore the clothing of the people of his time. He wore a turban and cap because it was the norm - it is not a sunnah in the sense that there is a religious reward associated with it. It is the sunnah of his dress in the sense that it was dictated by the time and place he (saw) lived in, not something religious but something that he (saw) did. I have no problem if the turban or kufi is worn in a land where it is the norm - I would wear it myself, but that's the point, it's the norm there. My point simply was there is no reason to wear it when it is not the norm of the land you live in, which is relevant to the OP - thus drawing unnecessary attention and doing something that no one else does out of religious reasons thinking it will bring you closer to Allah.

It is time we move past these cultural dictates of what a Muslim should or should not look like. This religion encompasses a variety of cultures and it does not seek to make the people conform to a dress code. Islam is not a cult where we have to dress all alike. There is room for cultural differences in clothing - provided the guidelines that are outlined are adhered to (awrah is covered, modesty is observed, it isnt clothing specific to another religious denomination, it isn't the clothing specific to a certain group of people who are known for sins etc)

Tyrion
08-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Hey Hamza, good to see you're still being your pleasant old self.

Anyway, I try not to make judgments, but based on experiences I've had, I can't help being human and having an opinion. Afterall, I did say it's just what I happen to "feel". I've never been a fan of people equating Islam with Arab.

Hamza Asadullah
08-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Hey Hamza, good to see you're still being your pleasant old self.

Anyway, I try not to make judgments, but based on experiences I've had, I can't help being human and having an opinion. Afterall, I did say it's just what I happen to "feel". I've never been a fan of people equating Islam with Arab.
So just because you may have had a bad experience with someone with a thobe does that give you the right to judge everyone with a thobe in a negative light? Should everyone be tarnished with the same brush for something they never did?

If that is the case then there is no difference between you and those who hate Islam based on the actions of a few Muslims. Very sad indeed.

Tyrion
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
So just because you may have had a bad experience with someone with a thobe does that give you the right to judge everyone with a thobe in a negative light? Should everyone be tarnished with the same brush for something they never did?

If that is the case then there is no difference between you and those who hate Islam based on the actions of a few Muslims. Very sad indeed.

Judging everyone who dresses in a thobe? You're right, that's exactly what I said. And yes, I'm as bad as those people, you caught me. Congratulations.

Hamza Asadullah
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Judging everyone who dresses in a thobe? You're right, that's exactly what I said. And yes, I'm as bad as those people, you caught me. Congratulations.
I thought the new generation are supposed to be more open minded and that it is the older generation that are more closed minded. You have proved me wrong.

My intention is not to "catch you out" but to make you realise that we should not paint everyone with the same brush. There is good and bad everywhere. If some black guy has done something bad to you then not all black people are the same. If a white guy says something racist to you then not all white people are racist.

Similarly if you had a bad experience with some one with a thobe on then not everyone with a thobe deserves to be painted with the same brush just because you happened to have a bad experience with someone with a thobe.

So treat everyone as individuals and do not judge people and put them down for no reason. We should find every excuse for our brother before thinking bad of him.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Again, the Prophet (saw) simply wore the clothing of the people of his time.

so you can picture our prophet saws wearing shirt/tie/trousers without a prayer cap yeah? assuming he came to our time? You think he would try to FIT IN with the people of this land?

naudhubillaah....

Insaanah
08-28-2012, 06:33 PM

If those who dress in a style perceived to be associated with Islam, do so because the Prophet :saws: dressed that way (regardless of whether the rest of society did or didn't at the Prophet's time), and because they love whatever the Prophet :saws: did, alhamdulillah.

Indeed there are people who will seek out what the Prophet :saws: liked, so if he liked a certain type of food, they will try to develop a love for that food too, simply because the Prophet :saws: did and because of their love for him. It might be that other people at that time loved that kind of food too, but we like it because our Prophet :saws: liked it, not because other people liked it. He is our concern. And some try to emulate him, as well as his likes. The same goes for the style of dress, it doesn't matter if that's how all society dressed, people who dress like that do it because the Prophet :saws: did it.

There are those who may be trying sincerely to improve themselves, they may find some things hard, but feel they'd like to be visibly recognised as a Muslim nonetheless, through that style of dress. Perhaps some people want to make a statement, this is me, I'm a Muslim. One doesn't need a perfect character before they can dress "Islamically" (meaning a way that's perceived to be associated with Islam). No one's perfect. It's akin to some women not wearing hijaab yet because they feel they'll be recognised as religious, when the inside doesn't match up to the outside, and they feel they need to rectify the inside first. They then feel that they're doing a good deed by not wearing hijaab yet. There is no prerequisite for wearing a hijaab, you simply have to wear it, however your character is as a Muslim. An "Islamic" style of dress for men may not be fard in the same way as hijaab, but the analogy of rectifying the inside first or worrying about appearing religious outwardly is the same.

Perhaps there are those who simply find that style of dress comfortable.

Perhaps there are those who picked up a thowb or topi/hat cheap at hajj/umrah or in some store, and want to make sure it's worn.

There are a whole multitude of reasons why someone might be dressed that way.

It's not our job to decide why they're dressed like that, or to make judgements about them based on their dress. Allah knows everyone's intentions and inward character.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-29-2012, 12:40 AM
so you can picture our prophet saws wearing shirt/tie/trousers without a prayer cap yeah? assuming he came to our time? You think he would try to FIT IN with the people of this land?
naudhubillaah....
That's like asking if you can picture the Prophet (saw) driving a car instead of riding a camel if he came to our times. It's a ridiculous question.

It has nothing to do with the topic bro. The question is not whether he (saw) is in our times. The question is i) are we required to dress like he did (in the exact type of garments he wore) and ii) was his dress a product of the cultural norm of the Arab society of the time? If so, what does the kufi fall into?

Answer the question please. Don't reply with irrelevant assertions. Whatever you answer, I need evidence, not a copy/paste article please.

جوري
08-29-2012, 01:10 AM
I want to stay out of this topic.. but just to add my two cents with respect to a point raised that a well known sheikh spoke of his dream about the prophet PBUH which was around 1973 before the war with Israel and he saw the prophet PBUH riding a car that is often used in rough terrain and in war gear from our time... and the prophet PBUH did use the most modern warfare of his time, as he used to send envoys like with the battle of the ditch, ultra modern warfare techniques we're meant to prepare for the enemy and not fixate on appearance so long as you're within guidelines. We're also not meant to look shabby or unkempt as Umar ibn ilkhtab once told a couple of men who felt they were 'zahids' amatoum 3lyna deenona.
It is in akhlaq, and demeanor, and the way you carry yourself that your character as a Muslim presides.
I know not alot of stock goes into dreams or sheikhs now a days and I am not advocating not wearing it or wearing it.. it is a preferential thing. I will maintain however that it to me it seems ancillary that more pressing issues exist outside of turbans for us Muslims.. nonetheless if you feel that this will help maintain your character and keep certain ills and define your identity then by all means keep wearing it.

and Allah swt knows best in all matters..

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
The question is i) are we required to dress like he did (in the exact type of garments he wore)
No. Not exactly, but why belittle someones intention who tries to as you most definitely have done on this thread. that was what set me off. Encourage, don't discourage!

and ii) was his dress a product of the cultural norm of the Arab society of the time? If so, what does the kufi fall into?
Unfortunately I dont know the answer to this one. But from what I posted before (Which I honestly feel you didnt really read otherwise its impossible to discourage wearing kufi/dress of the prophet regardless of the times/norm) I feel that regardless of the norm, it is what he saws has done, and those who love him will do it till the end of time regardless of what kind of clothing is the norm ! Just to feel close to him, just to remind ourselves of him, just to take ourselves out of the trappings of the fitnah of this world...

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-31-2012, 01:10 AM
No. Not exactly, but why belittle someones intention who tries to as you most definitely have done on this thread. that was what set me off. Encourage, don't discourage!
I don't think I belittled anyone's intention - I responded to the original post with my thoughts on the topic. A few people mentioned "islamic dress" and "muslim's uniform" - and I said that there's no such thing as anyone can wear what they want provided it fits within the Islamic guidelines because I believe it is very improper to identify things with the religion that are not identified with it in the sacred texts. If there exists a type of garment that is "islamic dress" then this would need proof.

My main point is and has been: There's no reason to wear a kufi in one's daily life in a society where it's not the norm, especially because it does not make one more religious than another. During prayer is a different story and I'm not talking about that.

ardianto
08-31-2012, 01:33 PM

@Muraad

Is wearing kufi against the norm?. In places where people can choose style that they like, wearing kufi is not against the norm.

Mostly of us are living in places where people follow mode. People can choose dreesing style that they like. Formal style like businessmen, casual style, cowboy style, biker style, and many other style including unique styles. And also there are people who love to wear hat, and they can choose hats or caps that they want too, like baseball cap, cowboy hat, Jamaican Rasta cap. And of course, kufi too.

There's no reason to wear a kufi in one's daily life in a society where it's not the norm, especially because it does not make one more religious than another.
If the OP want to wear kufi everyday because he like it, what's your problem bro?. Nobody here says "Muraad, you should wear kufi in daily life". :D

Style of dress does not affect religious level. But religious level affect dressing style. At least, people with high religious level must be are dressing modestly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!