/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli court decides Rachel Corrie's death was an accident

Jiri
08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/28/rachel-corrie-verdict-accident-judge?newsfeed=true

The death of the pro-Palestinian activist Rachel Corrie was not caused by the negligence of the Israeli state or army, a judge has ruled, dismissing a civil lawsuit brought by the family.
Corrie's death was an accident for which the state of Israel was not responsible, said the judge at Haifa district court.
well, that's awful. I'd have to be rude if I'd comment on that. But what else would you expect from them :heated:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
An Israeli court has ruled that the state of Israel was not at fault for the death of US activist Rachel Corrie, who was killed in the Gaza Strip by an Israeli army bulldozer in 2003.

Ms Corrie's family had brought a civil claim for negligence against the Israeli ministry of defence.

The judge said the 23-year-old's death was a "regrettable accident" and that the state was not responsible.

She had been trying to stop Palestinian homes being pulled down in Gaza.

Judge Oded Gershon, presiding at the Haifa District Court, said Ms Corrie had been protecting terrorists in a designated combat zone.

He said the bulldozer driver had not seen her, adding the soldiers had done their utmost to keep people away from the site. "She [Corrie] did not distance herself from the area, as any thinking person would have done."

He ruled the state of Israel did not have to pay any damages. The Corries had requested a symbolic $1 in damages and legal expenses.

They had accused Israel of intentionally and unlawfully killing their daughter, and failing to conduct a full and credible investigation.

An Israeli army investigation in 2003 concluded its forces were not to blame for Ms Corrie's death.

Cindy and Craig Corrie travelled to Israel from the US to hear the ruling along with a group of friends and activists.

After the ruling, Mrs Corrie told a news conference they wanted to see more accountability from the state of Israel, saying they had been "deeply troubled by what we heard today".

"From the beginning it was clear to us that there was... a well-heeled system to protect the Israeli military, the soldiers who conduct actions in that military, to provide them with impunity at the cost of all the civilians who are impacted by what they do," she said.

She said she believed at least one person in the bulldozer had seen their daughter, and that Rachel's death "could have been and should have been avoided".

Rachel Corrie's mother, Cindy: ''This is a bad day for humanity''

She added: "I believe this is a bad day not only for our family, but a bad day for human rights, for humanity, for the rule of law and also for the country of Israel."
Continues here.

Santoku
09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Well now wasn't that a surprise, who would have thought that an Israeli court would give a verdict like that. (Sarcasm flag raised and flying in the wind)

Galaxy
09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I heard this story on the radio a couple of weeks ago, I think we all knew what the verdict will be

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
09-08-2012, 06:21 PM
:salamext:

Yeah I read about this. There is a detailed article in The Guardian news as well. Though I shouldn't feel surprised, the relentless oppressiveness and injustices of Israel never cease to amaze me.

TG123
09-19-2012, 12:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jiri
guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/28/rachel-corrie-verdict-accident-judge?newsfeed=true

well, that's awful. I'd have to be rude if I'd comment on that. But what else would you expect from them :heated:
I'm disgusted but not surprised. I was in the West Bank two summers ago, with Christian Peacemaker Teams and International Solidarity Movement. Both groups work to document the abuses being perpetrated against Palestinians, and team up with Palestinian non-violent resistance.

The Israeli government allows its settlers to beat kids up on the way to school, burn down homes and vineyards, confiscate farmland, and even to kill them. Settlers who harm Palestinians rarely ever face any punishment, Palestinians in Hebron who attend demos against the settlements are beaten up, arrested, shot.

While in a Palestinian village called Al Bweireh, a fellow activist and myself were attacked by three settlers from the nearby settlement of Harsina. They were wearing black baclavas. Two of them had sticks, one had a pipe. One of them smashed my nose in with the pipe, and after I fell unconscious beat me across the back. My friend- who probably saved my life by deflecting the blows with his leg, almost had it broken. We both went to the hospital, and I had surgery on my face.

We went to the Israeli police station a few days after I got out. The officers told us that "there was nothing we can do", because the settlers wore masks. If the attackers came from a Palestinian village, they would raid it during the night, take out the men for questioning and probably beat them too, until someone 'confessed'.

I have seen settlers invading Palestinian farms and throwing stones at sheep, and then being threatened and insulted and having a gun pointed at one of us by Israeli police and soldiers for insisting they do their job and stop the harrassment. I've seen non-violent Palestinian, Israeli (yes, there are many Israelis and many Jews who oppose the injustices being committed against Palestinians, and they pay a high price too) and international activists being physically attacked at rallies and arrested. I have had sound grenades thrown at me, been chased by soldiers, detained at checkpoints for 45 minutes and threatened and yelled at by both the army and police commanders.

I'm not surprised by the court's verdict.

I believe one day God will bring justice to Palestinians and that one day Palestinians and Israelis- Muslims, Christians and Jews- will live together in a country in which neither is the occupier or occupied. There is no other political solution to the situation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!