/* */

PDA

View Full Version : >>Swimming<<

~Zaria~
09-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I have recently started swimming (after many years of absence - which mainly resulted from a painfully shy teenage phase and not being able to find appropiate swimming gear).

Im not a very good swimmer.
In fact, Im sure I look like a fish out of water - as Im unable to able to float very well (I can swim/ float if my head is under-water.....then I run out of air......try to lift my head out of water to breathe......then sink......repeat cycle.......:' ( )

Nevertheless, Im trying to teach myself - insha Allah, I'll get it right eventually : )

However, Im facing a few dilemmas:

1. What is the best swim-wear for a muslim woman?

Currently I wear a long-sleeved top and pants (thats a few sizes larger, so that its not so tight) and a swimming cap - similiar to these:

images?qtbnANd9GcQ89O7z6uWIJTg9cEhvRWjFFXccMbB2lU1 pTd2cS CbBzT4RlfXWQ -

images?qtbnANd9GcSX7xnRyuUKNpWbaM21MJBIEj1hiaB2fSd GuZzqv2 EMOTeYyTAg -

My problem is: my neck remains uncovered and when i leave the pool, the wet clothes hug my body......and reveals my form.
Which means, I need to grab a towel around me and scamper to the change room before being noticed : (
Yes, I know - its a pretty funny sight from start to finish for me......:P

What would be better swimming attire for a woman?

2. The reason I started swimming again, is because I have at last found a gym that has 2 pools - a main pool, and a smaller pool that is used mainly by woman and children taking swimming classes.
I also try to swim between 10-12pm on the weekdays, when most men are at work - so its usually very quite.

But: I have realised that there are cameras over-looking the pool (providing safety for people like me :P).
And I cant help but wonder, if there are males who may be watching me behind those cameras! : (

Should I be concerned about this?

3. I also dream of oneday being able to scuba-dive.....and swim with dolphins! insha Allah : )
Then, when Im next on holiday I wont be the only one left aboard the boat/ yacht, while everyone else is in the water : (

Would this be possible for a muslim woman (considering that most instructors are male)?

Shukran in advance.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Zaria~
09-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I guess nobody swims here..... ;'(

JazakAllah khayrun sister marina-hadeya for providing me the link for 'Modestkini' swim-wear.
I have not seen this in my country, but I see that they sell for 70 pounds on-line!! (thats 900 of my currency!.....reminds me why its so difficult to travel in Europe - our money is not worth much ; ( )

ardianto
09-16-2012, 04:15 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
I guess nobody swims here..... ;'(
I compete in several swimming competition when I was kid. Sometime in my teen age I voluntary became swimming pool lifeguard which I saved several swimmers.

if there are males who may be watching me behind those cameras! : (
There are people behind those cameras who watch the swimmers, not only watch you. It's for the swimmers safety.

I also dream of oneday being able to scuba-dive.....and swim with dolphins! insha Allah : )
Then, when Im next on holiday I wont be the only one left aboard the boat/ yacht, while everyone else is in the water : (

Would this be possible for a muslim woman (considering that most instructors are male)?
where is brother Ramadhan?. He is scuba diver.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-16-2012, 04:20 AM

Don't ask me how I know of these but these might be something you're looking for lol:

http://ahiida.com/home.php

I think I saw these at a conference bazaar sometime ago and the word 'burqini' just stuck to my head lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
09-16-2012, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Abi Ahmed

Don't ask me how I know of these but these might be something you're looking for lol:

http://ahiida.com/home.php

I think I saw these at a conference bazaar sometime ago and the word 'burqini' just stuck to my head lol
SubhanAllah, theres a 'burkini', lol.

I have not seen one in my part of the world......on the web-site, they go for 1500 South African rand (perhaps this may be one of the reasons :/ )

Im certain theres a market for these - now that I think about it, its not common to see muslim women swimming - and if they do, they are dressed in inappropiate swim-wear......
I should start a 'Burkini Outlet' : D
Insha Allah.

JazakAllah khair for the share.

:wa:

~Zaria~
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

There are people behind those cameras who watch the swimmers, not only watch you. It's for the swimmers safety.
Wa-alaikumsalam,

I dont feel happy about men watching me as I swim :' (
And Im usually the only one in the pool, as I swim during hours when most people are at work.

A few weeks ago, one of the male cleaners asked me if he could take a picture of me (on his camera phone)! - while I was in the pool (yet it was just my face and neck that was exposed).

SubhanAllah, why are (so many) men such creeps! : (

~Zaria~
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Just found this interesting article during my search for a 'burqini' : )

Burqini to be named Australia’s Word of the Year

Sharifa Ghanem | 20 January 2012

DUBAI: Muslim women who veil still enjoy their time on the beach, donning a full-length swimming dress called the Burqini. Macquarie Dictionary of Australia on Friday announced that the word was to be named Australia’s Word of the Year.

It has received the most votes in a competition won last year by googleganger, a play on the German word doppelganger, describing similarly named people listed by an internet search engine.

The winner in 2009 was shovel-ready, used by politicians for government projects they claimed could get going immediately.

Women in the Middle East however, are seeing the choice as an attack, albeit sarcastic, on the clothes worn by Muslim women to enjoy their time in the water.

“I think this is simple prejudice and another attempt by Westerners to say ‘look at the crazy Muslims’ so it is wrong,” said Salma Nasrallah, a veiled woman living in Dubai told Bikyamasr.com.

She argued that Australia should be made aware of why the burqini is worn before “going to lengths to make it seem like it is ridiculous. The dress actually empowers women to be able to be in public and do things that any other woman would do.”

BM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!