/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Psychotherapy

tranquility
09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
What's your opinion on psychotherapy? I'm not talking about psychiatry, which may involve psychiatric medications. I'm talking about psychotherapy, where there are no medications involved.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I had to answer as I don´t know as I haven´t enough knowledge about psychotherapy. But if it is something what helps someone, then why not.

~Zaria~
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

The best, and often the only 'psychotherapy' that a muslim needs, can be found in the Quraan, and in the teachings of the prophet (sallahu alaihi wasalam).

Islam holds the all answers - not only with regards to matters of worship - but every aspect of life.

Its most unfortunate to see a muslim who has read books such as 'The Secret' or 'Eat, Pray, Love' and so many others - yet they hardly ever open the Quraan, and they do not know/ care to learn about the life of the most blessed man to have walked this earth - Muhammed (sallahu alaihi wasalam).

Do we really believe that the likes of Freud and others have better solutions to our problems - than our Creator?

No wonder we are at such a loss in life!

The further away we move from the Quraan and Sunnah, and the more we encompass a westernised manner of living - the further removed will we find ourselves from the mercy and guidance of Allah!

In every rakaat of prayer, 5 times or more a day, we read Surah Fathiha.

Have we contemplated on what we are actually saying when we read this blessed surah?
Have we ever wondered why it is that Allah (subhanawatáala) has opened His glorious Quraan and requested that this surah be recited so many times a day?

Or do we read like parrots, with our minds still left behind in the attachments of this dunya?

Translation of Verses 5-6 of Surah Fatiha:

'You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help.
Guide us to the Straight Way.'

Everytime we stand in salaah, we are asking Allah for His help and His guidance.
We are singling Allah (subhanawataála) out, and saying that we are in absolute need of Him - for every single thing in our lives.....for every single breathe, and every single beat of our hearts.

So, why dont we turn to Allah (to the Quraan) and the best example for mankind (the Sunnah) - when we are in distress?

Allah loves the servant who turns to Him.

There can never be any better guidance on this earth, than seeking guidance from our Rabb.
SubhanAllah.

:wa:

CosmicPathos
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
psychotherapy does wonders for mild-moderate depression. For severe depression, its role is not clear as evidence is not strong.

Same with combination of pharmacotherapy + psychotherapy.

CBT has the most evidence in its favor.

Moreover, psychotherapy is usually good for maintenance and not acute episodes.

Hope that helps.

I myself get CBT. It is expensive but worth it.

w salam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faseeha
10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tranquility
What's your opinion on psychotherapy? I'm not talking about psychiatry, which may involve psychiatric medications. I'm talking about psychotherapy, where there are no medications involved.
:sl:

Psychotherapy is one method of emotional and mental healing, there are other methods which receive the same results with a much quicker procedure, for example Hypnotherapy.

Granted Islam holds the answers, but just as we seek medical assistance when dealing with a medical condition, mental illnesses do exist, and need to be treated, Islam does not forbid this.

جوري
10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't like the poll Q's is that OK to say? If it works for some people then it is good, but I personally would look for an alternate route.. In fact I was there and all I can say of mental afflictions in general:

Sahih International
And when I am ill, it is He who cures me

I guess I just don't trust other people's counsel or accept their help..

:w:

~Zaria~
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faseeha

Psychotherapy is one method of emotional and mental healing, there are other methods which receive the same results with a much quicker procedure, for example Hypnotherapy.

Granted Islam holds the answers, but just as we seek medical assistance when dealing with a medical condition, mental illnesses do exist, and need to be treated, Islam does not forbid this.
Wa-alaikumsalam ukthi,

Islam certainly does not forbid seeking assistance for any type of medical condition.

With regards to psychological problems (which are not requiring of medications, as per the OP), we should first turn towards Allah and make a concerted effort in strengthening our relationship with our Rabb.
And if we still find a need for 'psychotherapy', insha Allah, it would be more beneficial to find a muslim in the field, who may be able to guide the person towards Allah and His Rasul (sallalahu alaihi wasalam).

Allah (subhanawa'taa'la) is the source for all healing.
So, it would make sense to first turn towards the Source directly, before looking towards the small tributaries leading from it.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I wouldnt go near it or want anyone I care about to go near it either.

Mainly because I believe islam has the answers to everything, and correct me if I'm wrong but such therapy looks elsewhere rather then islam

joyous fairy
10-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Salam,

I suppose people deal with things in different ways and some people find it easier to come to terms with and deal with things by talking and I think its great for people to be able to do that with trained professionals. For me personally, I dont see it as something that I would consider.

joesixpack
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
The best, and often the only 'psychotherapy' that a muslim needs, can be found in the Quraan, and in the teachings of the prophet (sallahu alaihi wasalam).
I must respectfully disagree with you on this. And I should add that this is a dangerous attitude to take towards mental illness. I think trying to find an answer in any religious text without the help of a scholar could lead one down an unhealthy path. Here in North America, there are many religious psychotherapists who use therapy within the context of the patients religious faith to help deal with the emotional difficulties which they face. Remember, before there was even a branch of science called Psychology, there were Imams, priests, rabbis and ministers for a troubled person to go to for help. These men were the first psychotherapists. I think it would be a mistake to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

I will agree with you that if your faith is at all important to you, you should seek help from a therapist who respects (or better still, shares) your faith.

joyous fairy
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
I wouldnt go near it or want anyone I care about to go near it either.

Mainly because I believe islam has the answers to everything, and correct me if I'm wrong but such therapy looks elsewhere rather then islam
Isn't there such a thing as Islamic Psychotherapy?

I'm sure there are Muslim psychotherapists out there so psychotherapy doesn't have to exclude Islam and vice versa. Besides, we as Muslims should get counsel from others if we do not know. For instance, if I was depressed I would require someone to advise me on how to become a better Muslim and how to get closer to Allah (swt). Wouldn't that advice come under psychotherapy?

جوري
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joesixpack
And I should add that this is a dangerous attitude to take towards mental illness.
Depends on the mental illness no?
at any rate no one can really tell you the etiology of some of the common mental illnesses that plague people although there are theories-- and believe it or not having a medication that treats depression as opposed to say depression + panic attack is nothing more than one company submitting a patent for both when they have the exact same ingredients. And the ingredients don't fare better than some of the common OTC meds like St. John's liver wort and both in fact fail by a landslide to placebos so finding the answer in Islam is the best.

and Allah swt knows best

peace

joesixpack
10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
Depends on the mental illness no?
at any rate no one can really tell you the etiology of some of the common mental illnesses that plague people although there are theories-- and believe it or not having a medication that treats depression as opposed to say depression + panic attack is nothing more than one company submitting a patent for both when they have the exact same ingredients. And the ingredients don't fare better than some of the common OTC meds like St. John's liver wort and both in fact fail by a landslide to placebos
I think you misunderstood me. I don't suggest medication.

We're the scholars so why should we delegate that task to someone else?
I think it's good to talk to someone about your problems, and I think that person shouldn't be invested in the outcome the way a family member or spouse is, and I also think people will tend to lie to themselves, so being ones own scholar can (and has) gotten people into trouble. I don't think it's a sign of weakness of character or inconstancy of faith to seek help from a person trained in psychology. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I don't think it should be dismissed outright.

~Zaria~
10-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I must respectfully disagree with you on this. And I should add that this is a dangerous attitude to take towards mental illness. I think trying to find an answer in any religious text without the help of a scholar could lead one down an unhealthy path. Here in North America, there are many religious psychotherapists who use therapy within the context of the patients religious faith to help deal with the emotional difficulties which they face. Remember, before there was even a branch of science called Psychology, there were Imams, priests, rabbis and ministers for a troubled person to go to for help. These men were the first psychotherapists. I think it would be a mistake to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

I will agree with you that if your faith is at all important to you, you should seek help from a therapist who respects (or better still, shares) your faith.
It is ok to disagree with me.

For a muslim, islam is a Way of Life.

There is no other religion that offers a supplication to be read before: entering the toilet, wearing clothes, embarking on a journey, engaging in intimate relations with ones spouse, entering/ leaving the home and so much more.

So, we do not doubt that the Quraan and Sunnah holds the solutions to our psychological (and other) distresses as well.

This was posted in another thread:

SubhanAllah - how blessed is this ummah!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy

Isn't there such a thing as Islamic Psychotherapy?

I'm sure there are Muslim psychotherapists out there so psychotherapy doesn't have to exclude Islam and vice versa. Besides, we as Muslims should get counsel from others if we do not know. For instance, if I was depressed I would require someone to advise me on how to become a better Muslim and how to get closer to Allah (swt). Wouldn't that advice come under psychotherapy?
I think the OP refers to professional, paid help.

never heard of islamic psychotherapy.

I'm all for a learned muslim giving advice, but I wouldnt go to someone who would completely ignore islam, has no understanding of this world as Allaah intended it and then tries to advise me.

جوري
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I don't suggest medication.
I know what you meant.. I am not a fan of either methodology but as suggested before I edited if it works for some people I am all for it.

I don't think it's a sign of weakness of character or inconstancy of faith to seek help
I agree with this and I certainly wasn't suggesting that folks are either for seeking help through meds or talking.. I am speaking of my own personal experience as someone who has struggled for a very long time with bouts that can't be summed up in the categories designated by the committee and being on both sides opened my eyes to a third possibility and I explored it with good results praise be to God. It was a journey of self discovery and I certainly think (and I am not praising myself as super) that I am probably able to tolerate extreme conditions on my own without annoying others about it so yeah perhaps someone else would be lying dead in a ditch where I bit the bullet and managed to get through the day.
when you suffer from it, it really can't be summed up in the seemingly blase guidelines and the frankly deficient medications and/or therapies to treat it. I know the questions asked and the responses it isn't tailored it is simply time tested within certain confines. It doesn't help at all when the bloody walls are closing in on you and you can't breathe and you're driving a long stretch from where you can't pull to the side to untie your clothes get a swig of water and take a deep breath.
Some other method is gotta give and it is hardly one that you'll find at a therapist office..
time is up and your bill is $450 type thing..

peace

CosmicPathos
10-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I dont believe Quran has explicit solutions for depression. It has some ideas mentioned in it, which if applied, can prevent one falling into depression. But if one is already in a perpetual cycle of depression, existential crises, low mood, suicidal ideation, machine-gunning with Quranic verses aint gonna help. How does Quran help someone who hass repressed childhood issues? One who failed to develop attachment with parents? How does Quran actually solve their problems? Quran is silent on many such issues. :S

CBT helps ppl change their negative thinking patterns into positive ones so they can live happy lives, cuz frankly they should live happy lives and not wallow away while others keep on enjoying their life (atheists included) who by sheer luck were born into more ideal and positive family/surroundings/society.

Hulk
10-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Guys, keep in mind that any form of study or whatever is still part of understanding creation. I don't believe there is anything wrong with using methods that have been developed non-muslims. With our perspective as muslims we would still credit all to God. Remember that Allah grants knowledge to whoever He wills.

Use our deen and intelligence as a guide to find the proper solution. Don't forget that everything is from Allah, just because the people who developed/discovered/researched something and has understood how it works yet do not credit the Creator does not mean that we can't see it that way. Importance of worldview..

joyous fairy
10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeh, we should aim to start an Islamic Psychotherapy organisation..:statisfie

Ghazalah
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Psychotherapy has been a huge help to many Muslims I know and it did not deter them away from Islam.

However Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Solution Therapy or Counselling as a whole, is just a means, and frankly that is all it is. Everything is in the hands of Allah swt, if He wishes for you to get better, then He can do so through Counselling or Therapy, if He doesn't then you can go through the best Therapy in the world it will not help you.

format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
Yeh, we should aim to start an Islamic Psychotherapy organisation..:statisfie
There are some Islamic Counselling Organisations. Sukoon is one, but they are only able to do online therapy/counselling to those who are not situated in the same city. Lateef Project is another. (UK based)

Scimitar
10-15-2012, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tranquility
It's really boring... no, seriously, it's really boring.

Psychotherapists have the laziest jobs in the world. They drink too much coffee and ask you to "talk"...

Back in the day, (don't ask me how old I am please :D) they ask me to talk, So I'd talk... sometimes I'd aska question and I wouldn't get an immediate repsonse. So I would say "I asked you a question" and the look on their faces would let me know that they were in lala land.

They need to stop drinking all that freaking coffee.

Pyschotherapy is a con.

It never solved my violent tendency to knock out idiots in the street. I learnt how to do that all on my own. I became a hermit :D

CosmicPathos
10-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Tell me this. How can Quran remove "depression" of a man who knows his mother is a prostitute? Have you ever met such patients? I have. It makes you cry.

joesixpack
10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Solution Therapy or Counselling as a whole, is just a means, and frankly that is all it is. Everything is in the hands of Allah swt, if He wishes for you to get better, then He can do so through Counselling or Therapy,
This reminds me of a story my theology teacher told us back in Catholic school.

There was a big valley with a little village, and in that little village was a church. The Priest of that church was known far and wide as the most devout and pious man anyone had ever known. One night, there was a terrible rain storm. It was the hardest rain anyone had ever seen before. The little old priest sat in his rectory and prayed for the Lord to protect the people of the valley from the storm. Soon, though, He heard a siren and it came closer and closer. Then there came a knock on the door. It was the local fire department telling all the people in the village to evacuate because the dam had started to crack, and the valley would soon flood.

"Oh my!" said the priest. "Is everyone evacuated yet?"

The fireman replied "All the villagers are on the truck and we're leaving now. You're the last stop we made"

"Oh, don't worry about me" said the priest. "The Lord will look after me"

The fireman knew he wouldn't be able to change the priest's mind so he drove away with the villagers.

Soon the water began to rise. The priest climbed up to his roof. A boat came up to him with rescuers. "Jump in!" they said. "We can get you to safety!"

"No" replied the little priest. "The Lord will protect me"

So off went the boat. After more rain fell, and the waters continued to rise, the priest found himself standing on the top of the chimney, with the waters splashing over his feet. A helicopter came and lowered a rope ladder. "NO THANK YOU!" shouted the priest over the roar of the engine. "THE LORD WILL LOOK AFTER ME!". So away the helicopter flew. Well, the water finally swept the house and chimney out from under the poor little priest. He drowned.

When he arrived in heaven, he asked the Lord "Why did you not save me from the flood?" And the Lord replied "What are you talking about? I sent a fire truck, a boat, and a helicopter!

Muezzin
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
^in Islam there is a similar teaching - 'Trust in Allah but tie your camel'

Ghazalah
10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
Tell me this. How can Quran remove "depression" of a man who knows his mother is a prostitute? Have you ever met such patients? I have. It makes you cry.
I have met a lot of clients with worse problems. Nobody is denying the fact that the Quran is not a guideline for Therapists, but as I said before it is a means. A means which is very much needed in society today. It works for some, but not for others. But to put all your hope in Counselling and Therapy and to deny the fact that they will help only through the permission of Allah swt is foolish. I am currently training to be a Psychotherapist and currently work as a CBT, when I see Muslim clients I always tell them to always, always put their trust in Allah swt, because coming to see me or any other person will not help them one bit if Allah swt has not allowed it.

Side note; A lot of basic Therapeutic approaches can be found through the teachings of the Prophet PBUH. It's funny how they have had to wait hundreds of years later to see the fruits of such teachings.

GuestFellow
10-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it is good to talk to someone about your problems.

Scimitar
10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
So do I, but my imaginary friend found someone else :D

GuestFellow
10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
^...What's your friend name? o_o

CosmicPathos
10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
I have met a lot of clients with worse problems.
What is more worse than knowing that one's mother sleeps with other men and that one is a product of one such shift?

I dont believe you that there are worse problems. Physical problems seem worse but they are not as bad as pyschological traumas.

Ghazalah
10-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I dont believe you that there are worse problems. Physical problems seem worse but they are not as bad as pyschological traumas.
Believe me I have dealt with worse, and I know Psychological traumas are worse in some situations, even if there is physical problems, nobody is denying this.

GuestFellow
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM

I never had to deal with these people but I have heard stories. I'm not sure how these people can actually be helped. Like I wonder how the medical community help a child whose was born because his father raped his mother...wait I don't think I worded this correctly. Oh it's night, I'll give myself a break.

جوري
10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Q is how does a therapist remove it? You're fixating on names of things when the end result is one- when your body is in pain it doesn't care to classify said pain as a TIA or a migraine the sensation is the same albeit the gradation is different... How does the Quran help?.. well honestly all I can tell you is, you need a few days in seclusion along with some sincerity and you'll find that answer!

Al-An'am (The Cattle) [6:41]

[RECITE]
[top] [next match]

Bal iyyahu tadAAoona fayakshifu ma tadAAoona ilayhi in shaa watansawna ma tushrikoona
6:41 "Nay,- On Him would ye call, and if it be His will, He would remove (the distress) which occasioned your call upon Him, and ye would forget (the false gods) which ye join with Him!"

Y
ou can talk to some 'paid friend' for $450 an hour and he'll even prescribe you a couple of pills, or you can talk to God.. the physiological effect on the brain you get from kneeling are the same you get from pills.. guess what the brain lights up on the scan- as that is as far as they can tell the med is working!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
who said the Quran always deals in "removing" problems?

No, it helps humans understand the nature of this world and how its problems arise and allows us to find ways to deal with it.

I have no doubt this man you speak of can find his solution, peace and tranquility in islam but he has to search that out.

since when do beautiful meaningful and deep relationships come so quick and easy. If he wants to overcome such a hurdle, let him strive. We all do.

GuestFellow
10-15-2012, 09:38 PM
How about writing your thoughts on a piece of paper...or type it. If it works for you great. If not, try something else.

جوري
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
that works too.. in essence aren't we all getting group therapy here? from somewhat similar minded people ... we want to know that we don't exist alone in this world and what we have to say and feel matters.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-15-2012, 09:44 PM
its funny you say that sis, because everytime I talk to my sisters I feel like I lighten such a huge load.

I guess some people just dont have that outlet hence therapy.

جوري
10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
That works for most people.. I get really angry when I wanna be left alone and everyone asks me what's wrong.. just makes it that much more miserable.. but I guess that's just me!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
loool i just said to my sis

"you know when we talk to each other, its a bit like therapy isnt it?"

and she said,

"not really, sometimes you all drive me crazy"

loool

i can get snappy when I want solitude and just aint getting it to be honest

~Zaria~
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
However Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Solution Therapy or Counselling as a whole, is just a means, and frankly that is all it is. Everything is in the hands of Allah swt, if He wishes for you to get better, then He can do so through Counselling or Therapy, if He doesn't then you can go through the best Therapy in the world it will not help you.
MashaAllah, this is true.

Akhee, the Quraan is the WORD of Allah. The actual message from our Creator to us, His Creation.
Do not doubt for a second, that our Most Merciful Rabb would leave us without a solid guide in this dunya.

The answers are there, for the one who searches ernestly - in the Quraan and the teachings of the one who was so beloved to Allah......Yet, went through so much more hardships and trials than anyone one of us - our prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam).
He is our guide!

Why did he not break down in depression when the people of Taif rejected his message and pelted his mubarak body away from their city?
Why did he not lose hope in Allah in the Battle of Badr when defeat looked almost certain?

Why didnt the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) or the companions succumb to the trials of this life (yet they were tested more than we can imagine)?

Is it not because of that level of Tawakkul (Trust in Allah) - that so many of us are deficient in nowadays?

We have to understand, that we cannot escape the decisions of Allah Ta’ala with regard to any matter in our lives. Whatever Allah Ta’ala has decided will happen, no matter how much we may wish otherwise.

Our anxieties, depression and worries are often created because we first make the decisions, and then expect Allah Ta’ala to conform; whereas what we plan and decide is subject to Allah Ta’ala’s confirmation.

Rasulullah (salallahu alaihi wasalam) has said :

“Strive to acquire what is beneficial for you; seek the aid of Allah; do not lose courage and if a setback overtakes you, do not say : ‘If I had done this then it would have happened like this (i.e. not what had happened).’

Instead say : ‘Allah has ordained this. Whatever He has willed, has happened.’(Muslim)

"I was (once) behind Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) when he said to me:

'O son! I shall inform you of a few things.
Remember Allah Ta'ala and He will protect you.
Remember Allah Ta'ala and you will find Him close to you.
When you have to ask for something, ask of Allah Ta'ala.
When you require aid, seek His Aid.

Believe firmly that if all creation desires to benefit you in anything, they can never benefit you but that which Allah has decreed for you. If they all unite to harm you, they will not be able to harm you in anything, but that which Allah Ta'ala has decreed for you." (Tirmidhi)

If only we FIRMLY believed in this: that in every decision and action of Allah’s, there is both wisdom and good for His servant.

Then where will there be room for depression?

If you suffer ANY hardship in life - no doubt you will feel sad (this is part of being human)......but why will we succumb to depression, when we KNOW that this is the decree of Allah.......that HIS plan is the best plan for us.
If we can be PLEASED with WHATEVER Allah has decided for us - there would be no mention of depression in our lives.

Hadhrat Sa'd narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:

"The good fortune of a person is that he remains pleased with what Allah has ordained for him. The misfortune of a person is that he refrains from asking Allah for goodness and that he is displeased with what Allah has ordained for him." (Ahmad, Tirmidhi)

For the majority of cases, depression, etc stems from the above reasons.
For the minority, where there is a medical cause - insha Allah, seek aid in this as well.

The role of a muslim counsellor is indeed necessary - in directing the sufferer towards adopting tawakkul.
Sometimes, it may be necessary for someone else to help guide us towards this realisation.

GuestFellow
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
That works for most people.. I get really angry when I wanna be left alone and everyone asks me what's wrong.. just makes it that much more miserable.. but I guess that's just me!

I'm like that as well.

جوري
10-15-2012, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow

I'm like that as well.
:wa: some people like to divide their anguish, others feel it makes them appear unnecessarily naked. My experience is that when people know a weakness about you they come and push it in a strategically timed manner, and the people who do it the most are those closest to you.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-16-2012, 08:50 AM

:wa: some people like to divide their anguish, others feel it makes them appear unnecessarily naked. My experience is that when people know a weakness about you they come and push it in a strategically timed manner, and the people who do it the most are those closest to you.
LOL?

my experience is that when those close to me know a weakness about me, they tiptoe around it knowing what will happen should they push it.

your post actually made me laugh, you must be making it easy for people to push your buttons or something

جوري
10-16-2012, 10:43 AM
No- I don't make a habit of the same mistake twice :)
I seek my own counsel and ask Allah swt for guidance - nothing wrong with being self sufficient or being your own island. We need each other but keeping a whole lot of yourself to yourself isn't half bad!
Do you want to know all there's to know about your siblings, spouse, parents etc. ?

Muhaba
10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
it depends on whether a person needs psychotherapy (has a mental illnesses) or just needs councelling for problems (due to external situation).

problems don't go away by themselves and one may need to turn to some sort of advice, such as a marriage councellor or other or a self-help book or even an experienced elder. people do need someone's advice and while the Quran is perfect, it's not necessary that one finds the solution there not because it's nt there but because the human mind overlooks unless they are clearly told, you should do such and such. in this case, i am unsure how successful self-help books are.

human beings are not self-sufficient; we need guidance. we need someone to tell us, make us see the situation through another eyes. sometimes someone else understands the situation better and has better advice than the one who is suffering from it.

on the other hand, for mental disorders one might need to go to a psychotherapist. how helpful they are is a mystery as i have no knowledge of this field. for such health problems, it may be possible that reading the Quran, closeness to Allah, and ruqya will cure the problem. this is because that is an illness.

PurpleCup
10-18-2012, 12:01 AM
There are many Muslims who are Counselors and can help the ummah with whatever their issues are. I always feel its its far more prudent to seek help then suffer in silence.

We have :muslimah::muslimah::muslimah: on Habibi Matrimonials which are there to help the ummah. I really feel every Muslim Matrimonials should have at least one.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!