/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being true with Allah

Periwinkle18
09-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Being true with Allah

By Abdullah azzam

Verily, all praise is due to Allāh. We praise Him, seek refuge with Him, and seek His Forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allāh from the evils of our souls, and the mistakes in our actions. Whoever Allāh Guides, there is none who can misguide him, and whoever Allāh misguides, there is none who can guide him. And I testify that there is none worthy of being worshipped except Allāh, and I testify that Muhammad (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) is his servant and Messenger.

ﯾَﺎ أَﯾﱡﮭَﺎ اﻟﱠﺬِﯾﻦَ آﻣَﻨُﻮاْ اﺗﱠﻘُﻮاْ اﻟﻠّﮫَ ﺣَﻖﱠ ﺗُﻘَﺎﺗِﮫِ وَﻻَ ﺗَﻤُﻮﺗُﻦﱠ إِﻻﱠ وَأَﻧﺘُﻢ ﻣﱡﺴْﻠِﻤُﻮنَ

{“O you who believe! Have taqwā of Allāh as He deserves, and do not die except as Muslims.”}

2ﯾَﺎ أَﯾﱡﮭَﺎ اﻟﻨﱠﺎسُ اﺗﱠﻘُﻮاْ رَﺑﱠﻜُﻢُ اﻟﱠﺬِي ﺧَﻠَﻘَﻜُﻢ ﻣﱢﻦ ﻧﱠﻔْﺲٍ وَاﺣِﺪَةٍ وَﺧَﻠَﻖَ ﻣِﻨْﮭَﺎ زَوْﺟَﮭَﺎ وَﺑَﺚﱠ ﻣِﻨْﮭُﻤَﺎ رِﺟَﺎﻻً ﻛَﺜِﯿﺮاً وَﻧِﺴَﺎء وَاﺗﱠﻘُﻮاْ اﻟﻠّﮫَ اﻟﱠﺬِي ﺗَﺴَﺎءﻟُﻮنَ ﺑِﮫِ وَاﻷَرْﺣَﺎمَ إِنﱠ اﻟﻠّﮫَ ﻛَﺎنَ ﻋَﻠَﯿْﻜُﻢْ رَﻗِﯿﺒًﺎ

{“O people! Have taqwā of your Lord, Who Created you from a single soul, and Created from it its mate, and sprouted from it many men and women. And have taqwā of Allāh, from Whom you demand your mutual rights, and do not cut off the relations of the womb. Verily, Allāh is Ever-Watching over you.”}

3ﯾَﺎ أَﯾﱡﮭَﺎ اﻟﱠﺬِﯾﻦَ آﻣَﻨُﻮا اﺗﱠﻘُﻮا اﻟﻠﱠﮫَ وَﻗُﻮﻟُﻮا ﻗَﻮْﻟًﺎ ﺳَﺪِﯾﺪًا ﯾُﺼْﻠِﺢْ ﻟَﻜُﻢْ أَﻋْﻤَﺎﻟَﻜُﻢْ وَﯾَﻐْﻔِﺮْ ﻟَﻜُﻢْ ذُﻧُﻮﺑَﻜُﻢْ وَﻣَﻦ ﯾُﻄِﻊْ اﻟﻠﱠﮫَ وَرَﺳُﻮﻟَﮫُ ﻓَﻘَﺪْ ﻓَﺎزَ ﻓَﻮْزًا ﻋَﻈِﯿﻤًﺎ

{“O you who believe! Have taqwā of Allāh, and say that which is truthful. He will rectify your actions for you and Forgive you your sins, and whoever obeys Allāh and His Messenger has indeed achieved a great success.”}4

O you who are pleased with Allāh as a Lord, and Islām as a religion, and Muhammad (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) as a Prophet and Messenger!Know that Allāh has revealed in the clear cut Revelation:

ﯾَﺎ أَﯾﱡﮭَﺎ اﻟﱠﺬِﯾﻦَ آﻣَﻨُﻮاْ اﺗﱠﻘُﻮاْ اﻟﻠّﮫَ وَﻛُﻮﻧُﻮاْ ﻣَﻊَ اﻟﺼﱠﺎدِﻗِﯿﻦَ

{“O you who believe! Have taqwā of Allāh, and be with the truthful!”}5

The truthfulness that this verse of ‘at-Tawbah’ is referring to is that of having your affairs be in accordance with their reality and true state, or having one’s inner state be just like his outer state, or having one’s hidden characteristics be just like one’s outer characteristics. So, if you were to open up the chest of the truthful person and Allāh were to grant you the ability to peek into his heart, you would not find there to be any difference between his open, apparent profile and his concealed, secret condition.6And this is the situation of the truthful. In fact, some of them have inner, concealed conditions that are better than what they show to the people! And the Salaf used to say: ‘O Allāh, make our inner condition better than our outer condition, and make our outer condition good!’And from the bounties of Allāh – the Mighty and Majestic – is that these hearts are dealing with the Knower of the Unseen…with Allāh. Their secrets do not remain hidden for long. They might sometimes paint a different picture than what is outer and apparent in a person. However, the inner and outer realities of a person cannot bear except to eventually come back together, and to be one and the same. So, if one’s inner condition is good, Allāh will eventually make this condition apparent. Likewise, if one’s inner condition is evil, Allāh will eventually make this apparent, as well. Nobody has ever concealed something except that Allāh eventually made it known, either through a slip of his tongue, or by way of the expressions on his face. It is impossible that a human being can keep deceiving himself for long, as it is something innate that Allāh has fashioned the people upon. It is the fitrah of Allāh that the outer eventually becomes one and the same as the inner. So, if the outer happens to follow a different line than the inner for some time – with some hypocrisy, lying, showing off, etc. – this condition will not remain for long, as Allāh has made the fitrah of the human being such that it cannot sustain falsehood for long, and cannot stand being fake for an indefinite period of time.Every innate nature and heart loves to return to the fitrah that Allāh has fashioned it upon

:ﺻِﺒْﻐَﺔَ اﻟﻠّﮫِ وَﻣَﻦْ أَﺣْﺴَﻦُ ﻣِﻦَ اﻟﻠّﮫِ ﺻِﺒْﻐَﺔً وَﻧَﺤْﻦُ ﻟَﮫُ ﻋَﺎﺑِﺪونَ
{“…the design of Allāh. And whose design is better than Allāh’s? And we are His worshippers.”}7

ﻓَﺄَﻗِﻢْ وَﺟْﮭَﻚَ ﻟِﻠﺪﱢﯾﻦِ ﺣَﻨِﯿﻔًﺎ ﻓِﻄْﺮَةَ اﻟﻠﱠﮫِ اﻟﱠﺘِﻲ ﻓَﻄَﺮَ اﻟﻨﱠﺎسَ ﻋَﻠَﯿْﮭَﺎ ﻟَﺎ ﺗَﺒْﺪِﯾﻞَ ﻟِﺨَﻠْﻖِ اﻟﻠﱠﮫِ ذَﻟِﻚَ اﻟﺪﱢﯾﻦُ اﻟْﻘَﯿﱢﻢُ وَﻟَﻜِﻦﱠ أَﻛْﺜَﺮَ اﻟﻨﱠﺎسِ ﻟَﺎ ﯾَﻌْﻠَﻤُﻮنَ

{“So, set your face towards the pure Religion - Allāh's fitrah, with which He has Created mankind. No change let there be in the Creation of Allāh. That is the straight religion, but most men do not know.”}8

And from here, we see that the true fitrah that Allāh has Ordained and Created with His Hand cannot maintain falsehood and deception, and cannot withstand lying for too long. Because of this, if it is shaken once by a reminder from one of the scholars, or by hearing a verse from the Qur’ān, you find that this fitrah will shake and will dust off from itself the accumulation of scum from the environment, and the accumulation from the deception, lies, and falsehood that it is surrounded with, and will then speak with truth.And how many people have wronged you, lied to you, plotted against you – and yet, because of your truthfulness and endless patience, his fitrah brought him to his senses, and caused him regret, guilt, and a feeling of mistakenness which manifested itself in the form of flowing tears between your hands, or a sincere repentance by your hand? So, this heart, which could not withstand falsehoodand deception for too long, became opened to you. So, your actions are not given value except with truthfulness, and Allāh does not accept any action unless it is done with truthfulness:

ﻟِﯿَﺒْﻠُﻮَﻛُﻢْ أَﯾﱡﻜُﻢْ أَﺣْﺴَﻦُ ﻋَﻤَﻠًﺎ
{“… that He may test you which of you is best in deed…”}9

As al-Fudayl bin ‘Iyād said, explaining this verse: “Meaning, most correct and sincere in deed,” with sincerity being that it is free of showing off, and correctness being that it is truthful and in accordance with the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allāh (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) and that which was revealed from the Lord of the worlds. And without truthfulness, nothing will go right for us, and we would not be able to continue firmly upon any path, and we would become divided and torn apart. How many people give nice speeches, were given the ability to speak concisely, and you are impressed by their way with words – yet, they roll off of their tongues that which is not in their hearts? The people would gather around them, and I would be sure in my heart that this would not continue for long, since the foam is washed away and does not remain on the ground:

ﻓَﺄَﻣﱠﺎ اﻟﺰﱠﺑَﺪُ ﻓَﯿَﺬْھَﺐُ ﺟُﻔَﺎء وَأَﻣﱠﺎ ﻣَﺎ ﯾَﻨﻔَﻊُ اﻟﻨﱠﺎسَ ﻓَﯿَﻤْﻜُﺚُ ﻓِﻲ اﻷَرْضِ ﻛَﺬَﻟِﻚَ ﯾَﻀْﺮِبُ اﻟﻠّﮫُ اﻷَﻣْﺜَﺎلَ

{“…Then, as for the foam, it passes away as scum upon the banks, while that which is for the good of mankind remains in the earth. Thus, Allāh sets forth parables.”}

As I was saying before, the people would gather around some of them, and I was sure that the foam would not remain. I was sure that the filth would not live for long, and I assured those around me that these were simply small bursts that would quickly fade away, and Allāh – the Mighty and Majestic – Says:

ﻗُﻞ ﻻﱠ ﯾَﺴْﺘَﻮِي اﻟْﺨَﺒِﯿﺚُ وَاﻟﻄﱠﯿﱢﺐُ وَﻟَﻮْ أَﻋْﺠَﺒَﻚَ ﻛَﺜْﺮَةُ اﻟْﺨَﺒِﯿﺚِ

{“Say: ‘Not equal are the evil things and the good things, even though the abundance of evil things might please you…’”}

And the Lord of Honor piles the evil things, one on top of the other. He throws them all on top of each other, and puts them into Hell, and those who are associated with this evil end up being the losers.And the days went by, and through my experiences in life, what I had expected was confirmed: the foam does not live on or remain, and the puny and insignificant affairs eventually fade away, and quickly disappear with a simple gust of wind from the right to the left.Because of this, the Salaf – may Allāh be Pleased with them – were very particular about following the truth, even if it was unpleasant and sour. They were very particular about being truthful, even if this was very heavy and difficult to maintain. They were very particular about having both their apparent and inner conditions be one and the same, even if in the most difficult of circumstances. One of them would make sure to have deeds between himself and Allāh that nobody else would know of. So, if the people were to come to know of this act of worship that he was engaged in, he would quickly leave that area in order that he would be once again hidden from the people. Imām Ahmad– may Allāh have Mercy upon him – when he would walk in the streets, he would walk amongst the laborers so that nobody would point to him out of respect, and so that the people would think him to just be another laborer, and would therefore not point to him out of respect. One of them, when he would enter battle, would disguise himself, and if he ended up with an abundance of war booty, he would conceal his identity and abandon his booty so that the people would not know who had acquired it.You all know the story of the one who dug the hole on the day that Maslamah bin ‘Abd al-Malik had laid siege to a fortress for a lengthy period of time? On that night, one of the Mujāhidīn slowly crept up and scaled the wall of the fortress, descended upon the guards, killed them all, and dug open a hole in the wall of the fortress through which the Islāmic army entered and took over the fortress. So, Maslamah called out for some time: “Which of you is the one who dug this hole?” Nobody stepped forth. One night, a veiled knight entered Maslamah’s tent, saying: “Do you wish to know who dug that hole?” Maslamah replied: “Yes.”The knight said: “I will tell you with the condition that you do not mention his name to anyone, and that you do not give him any reward or compensation for it.” He said: “Yes.” The knight said: “I am the one who dug that hole,” and did not reveal his name, and rode away quickly. So, after that, whenever Maslamah was facing the Qiblah while supplicating, he would say: “O Allāh, gather me with the one who dug the hole on the Day of Resurrection.”These sincere souls and lofty examples are what used to preserve the Islāmic society from destruction. Back when the rulers were overtaken by desires, the only thing that saved the society from destruction, and saved the Earth from being shaken, and saved the people from being torn apart and divided were these lofty examples that remained throughout the existence of the Islāmic society, deeply rooted and firm, sometimes being few, and sometimes being plenty. This is what constitutes the crucial pillar of this building that is known as the Muslim society. While cement pillars might be just four in number, they are able to hold a massive building that might reach the level of being around a hundred floors tall!And whenever the society lacks those who are sincere and truthful, and whenever it lacks these lofty examples regarding whom the Messenger of Allāh (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) said that they are: “…the hidden, the pious, and the pure”– as these examples slowly creep out of society, you find that the society begins eating itself away, becoming destroyed, and tearing itself apart. Therefore, the biggest problem facing Islām today is the lack of the sincere and truthful amongst those who are working for Allāh, except for those few hidden, pious, and pure people who were made for leading nations, and were made for navigating the ship. So, if a truthful hand takes control of the ship, it steers it to the shore of Islām in a secure manner, and with the hand of trust and power. The truthful Mujāhid whose name is not known…”…those who, if they are present, are unnoticed, and if they are absent, are not missed…”Their facial features are obscured by the dust of battle, the clanking of weapons, missiles fired from planes and tanks – all within earshot, because of which they do not hear any foam or scum. They simply do not have the time to hear any backbiting, spying, slander, or tale-carrying. The affair is much greater than this…the affair is mighty! The affair is bigger than that they pay attention to the croaking of the frog, or the cawing of a crow…the affair is greater than this.And as the Prophet (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) said to ‘Abdullāh bin ‘Amr bin al-‘Ās, in the hasan hadīth that was reported by one of the collectors of the ‘Sunan,’ as he narrated: “The Messenger of Allāh (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) passed by us one day while we were repairing a wooden shack that was old and weakened. So, he ( ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰوﺳﻠﻢ) said: “I do not think except that the affair is more incumbent than this.””You are preoccupied with fixing your wooden shack? Indeed, the affair –the affair of the Hereafter – is more important than this!And from here, we see that their entire lives were preoccupied with the Hereafter. The awareness of the presence of Allāh would keep their eyesight away from everything. They looked to this dunyā from the standpoint of lofty values! And how puny and small is this dunyā for those who are constantly in the highest parts of the sky? Have you not been on an airplane? The land surrounding the airport seems massive while you are still on the ground. However, when you ascend from the land around the airport, and the tall buildings gradually disappear, and the ground itself disappears, you are now soaring in the heavens, and have reached the heights of the sky, and have passed by everything. Because of this, there is nothing left for you to be attached or tied to on the ground. This is how the Salaf were, and this is how the truthful are, and this is how the righteous are.And Allāh – the Mighty and Majestic – from His Wisdom, Blessing, and Mercy is that He deals with the people according to what is in the inner depths of their conscience, and He deals with them based on what is in their hearts, and based on what their intentions are. And glory to my Lord! You reap what you sow! This is what the Sunnah has taught us, and this is what the Qur’ān taught us beforehand:

ﻓَﺎذْﻛُﺮُوﻧِﻲ أَذْﻛُﺮْﻛُﻢْ

{“Therefore, remember Me, and I will remember you…”}

{“And be not like those who forgot Allāh, and He caused them to forget their ownselves…”}

وَﻣَﻜَﺮُواْ وَﻣَﻜَﺮَ اﻟﻠّﮫُ وَاﻟﻠّﮫُ ﺧَﯿْﺮُ اﻟْﻤَﺎﻛِﺮِﯾﻦَ

{“And they plotted, and Allāh plotted, and Allāh is the best of plotters.”}

ﻓَﺎﻧﻈُﺮْ ﻛَﯿْﻒَ ﻛَﺎنَ ﻋَﺎﻗِﺒَﺔُ ﻣَﻜْﺮِھِﻢْ أَﻧﱠﺎ دَﻣﱠﺮْﻧَﺎھُﻢْ وَﻗَﻮْﻣَﮭُﻢْ أَﺟْﻤَﻌِﯿﻦَ ﻓَﺘِﻠْﻚَ ﺑُﯿُﻮﺗُﮭُﻢْ ﺧَﺎوِﯾَﺔً ﺑِﻤَﺎ ﻇَﻠَﻤُﻮا إِنﱠ ﻓِﻲ ذَﻟِﻚَ ﻟَﺂﯾَﺔً ﻟﱢﻘَﻮْمٍ ﯾَﻌْﻠَﻤُﻮنَ

{“So, see what the end of their plot was! Verily, We destroyed them and their nation, all together. These are their houses in utter ruin, for they did wrong. Verily, in this is indeed a sign for people who know.”}

A man said to Ibn ‘Abbās: “We find in the Torah that whoever digs a hole for his brother to fall into, Allāh will instead cause him to fall into it.” So, Ibn ‘Abbās replied: “It is also in the Qur’ān

:وَﻟَﺎ ﯾَﺤِﯿﻖُ اﻟْﻤَﻜْﺮُ اﻟﺴﱠﯿﱢﺊُ إِﻟﱠﺎ ﺑِﺄَھْﻠِﮫِ

{“…But the evil plot encompasses only him who makes it…”}

The first effects of wrongdoing are manifested on the wrongdoer

:وَﻣَﺎ ﻇَﻠَﻤْﻨَﺎھُﻢْ وَﻟَـﻜِﻦ ﻛَﺎﻧُﻮاْ أَﻧﻔُﺴَﮭُﻢْ ﯾَﻈْﻠِﻤُﻮنَ

{“…and We did not wrong them. Rather, they used to wrong themselves.”}

The effect of plotting against others is manifested on the one who is plotting:

ﻓَﺎﻧﻈُﺮْ ﻛَﯿْﻒَ ﻛَﺎنَ ﻋَﺎﻗِﺒَﺔُ ﻣَﻜْﺮِھِﻢْ أَﻧﱠﺎ دَﻣﱠﺮْﻧَﺎھُﻢْ وَﻗَﻮْﻣَﮭُﻢْ أَﺟْﻤَﻌِﯿﻦَ

{“So, see how the end of their plot was! Verily, We destroyed them and their nation, all together.”}

And when you plot against others, Allāh plots against you:

إِﻧﱠﮭُﻢْ ﯾَﻜِﯿﺪُونَ ﻛَﯿْﺪًا وَأَﻛِﯿﺪُ ﻛَﯿْﺪًا

{“Verily, they are plotting a plot, and I am also plotting a plot.”}

So, never think that what you are hiding within the depths of your conscience –even if you hide it from the people for some time – is hidden from the Knower of the Unseen, who Created these hearts and the keys to them with His Hand. Never – my brother – keep something within yourself that is not pleasing to Allāh, and never have an intention that will not be accepted by Allāh. Never! Never!“Indeed, actions are by intentions, and for every person is what he intended. So, whoever migrated for Allāh and His Messenger (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ), his migration is for Allāh and His Messenger (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ). And whoever migrated to obtain a portion of the dunyā, or to marry a woman, his migration is to what he migrated for.”I always recall how much I was shaken by the reply of one of the brothers when I said to him: “Will you not get married from this land?” He replied to me: “I will not get married, so that I do not mix up my Hijrah with something from the dunyā.”O brothers…The greatest people that change the society are three: the scholar, the generous donator, and the Mujāhid. These three types of people are the nucleus of societies. The societies revolve around them, and they are the founding base of the society, since they are the ones holding it up and supporting it with solid strength and influence. Because of this, if these three types of people are truthful and sincere –the scholar, the donator, and the Mujāhid – the entire society will be pure and unified. On the other hand, if their intentions become corrupt, the entire society is transformed into a pile of junk and rubbish. This is because the hearts are like fruits, like flowers: if these fruits are pure and clean, they will bring forth a clean, sweet smell, and if they are corrupt and ruined – like spoiled fruit – they will only bring forth rotten smells that congest the nostrils and evoke feelings ofdisgust.So, when the hearts become corrupt, the foul smells begin to emanate that harm the society as a whole from its corruption, and this is manifested in the form of slander, backbiting, tale-carrying, assuming the worst about others – and this all turns the society into one that is full of spite and turmoil, with everyone holding their nose so that they would not smell the foul smells coming from his neighbor or relative.The Messenger of Allāh (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) specifically warned these three types of people in the ‘Sahīhayn,’ as is mentioned in the narration: “The first people to be consumed by the Fire on the Day of Resurrection are three,” three categories of people: “…the scholar, the one who gives charity, and the Mujāhid.” These are the first to fuel the fires of Hell: the scholar, the charitable donator, and the Mujāhid! O Allāh! A Mujāhid who presented his blood, and after this, he becomes the first fuel for Hell?! One who donates, and not a single bit of money remains in his pocket since he has been sustaining the society, paying off debts of others, fulfilling the needs of others, saving others from tight situations – and the Fire consumes him, and he is being used to fuel it and keep it burning?! Yes! This is how it is described in the ‘Sahīhayn’38:“The first who will be consumed by the Fire on the Day of Judgment will be three: a scholar, a Mujāhid, and a generous donator. As for the scholar, Allāh will bring him and ask him: ‘What did you do in the dunyā?’ So, he will say: ‘I acquired knowledge for Your Sake, and I spread it seeking Your Pleasure.’ So, it will be said to him: ‘You lied. You learned so that you would be referred to as a scholar, and it was done, and you have obtained your reward in the dunyā.’Then, he will be ordered thrown into Hell. Then, the donator will be brought, and Allāh will ask him: ‘What did you do in the dunyā?’ He will say: ‘I acquired wealth from permissible means, and I donated it for Your Sake.’ It will be said to him: ‘You lied. You donated your money so that it would be said that you are generous, and it was done, and you have had your reward in the dunyā.’ Then, he will be ordered thrown into Hell. And the third...’What did you do?’ ‘I fought in Your Cause until I was killed.’ ‘You lied. You fought so that you would be referred to as a brave man, and it was done, and you took your reward in the dunyā.’ Then, he will be ordered thrown into Hell.”When Mu’āwiyah39 heard this hadīth from Abū Hurayrah, he wept until his beard was soaked with tears, and he fainted. After he regained consciousness, he said: “The Messenger of Allāh (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) has spoken the truth, as Allāh Said:

ﻣَﻦ ﻛَﺎنَ ﯾُﺮِﯾﺪُ اﻟْﺤَﯿَﺎةَ اﻟﺪﱡﻧْﯿَﺎ وَزِﯾﻨَﺘَﮭَﺎ ﻧُﻮَفﱢ إِﻟَﯿْﮭِﻢْ أَﻋْﻤَﺎﻟَﮭُﻢْ ﻓِﯿﮭَﺎ وَھُﻢْ ﻓِﯿﮭَﺎ ﻻَ ﯾُﺒْﺨَﺴُﻮنَأُوْﻟَـﺌِﻚَ اﻟﱠﺬِﯾﻦَ ﻟَﯿْﺲَ ﻟَﮭُﻢْ ﻓِﻲ اﻵﺧِﺮَةِ إِﻻﱠ اﻟﻨﱠﺎرُ وَﺣَﺒِﻂَ ﻣَﺎ ﺻَﻨَﻌُﻮاْ ﻓِﯿﮭَﺎ وَﺑَﺎﻃِﻞٌ ﻣﱠﺎ ﻛَﺎﻧُﻮاْ ﯾَﻌْﻤَﻠُﻮنَ

{“Whosoever desires the life of the world and its glitter, to them We shall pay in full their deeds therein, and they will have no decrease in that. They are those for whom there is nothing in the Hereafter but Fire, and vain are the deeds they did therein, and of no effect is that which they used to do.”}

And when I would read this story from Mu’āwiyah, I would never come across this verse except that it would shake my very depths, and it might even be the most frightening verse that I would come across when I would read the Qur’ān.The human being might temporarily forget about the Power of Allāh, or he might not give Allāh His proper due, or he might not seek the means to Allāh, or he might not glorify Him in the manner He deserves, as a result of which he will unknowingly deal with other people as if the ultimate power and final say is in their hands. When the Power of the Mighty and Powerful is forgotten by the human, he tries to dominate over others, oppress them, usurp their belongings, and try to wipe away the traces of the truthful and sincere. However, the Truth does not accept except the truth, and the Pure does not accept except that which is pure: “Verily, Allāh is Pure, and does not accept except that which is pure,”and He rejects except that His Light is completed, even if the disbelievers, polytheists, oppressors, and wrongdoers may hate that. I will give you two examples from Islāmic history, both old and recent.The first example is that of Shaykh al-Islām Ibn Taymiyyah44 (may Allāh have Mercy upon him).He gave the fatwā that three pronouncements of divorce in one sitting constitute only one divorce, in opposition to the opinion the scholars of the four schools of Fiqh. His student, Ibn al-Qayyim, also gave this same fatwā. So, they were placed on a camel, and were paraded around Damascus, and the fools mocked them, and the children would follow behind them and call out, clap, and humiliate them. Ibn Taymiyyah was thrown into prison, and in ‘al-Fatāwā’, he said: “I would provide for some families before I was put in prison, and when I was imprisoned, this aide was cut off to these poor families. So, I was extremely pained at this, and the news would come to me from these families while I was in prison: “You still come to us in the same physical form, and you pay us the same amount that you used to give us.” So, our brothers from the jinn are stepping up to take over from what we used to do. If the Earth is empty of anyone to do good, the world of the believing jinn and Angels are with the believer.”And Ibn Taymiyyah said his famous saying: “What can my enemies do to me? My paradise and garden are in my chest, and do not leave me. My imprisonment is seclusion with Allāh, and my death is martyrdom, and my expulsion is tourism. If the people who imprisoned me were given the equivalent of this prison in gold, it would not do them as much good as what Allāh has given me with this prison.” And Ibn Taymiyyah died, and some of his writings were taken from the prison after he was prevented from having a pen and paper. So, he would take stones and rocks from the prison walls and floor, and he would write on the walls. So, these writings were copied down and his books were burned up, and the tyrants thought that they had put out the light of this scholar, and had prevented his teachings from reaching the people. Time went on, and after an entire six and a half centuries, Allāh caused oil to be discovered in the Arabian Peninsula. Those with whom the oil was discovered, their scholars were nurtured upon the books of Ibn Taymiyyah. And with this immense amount of wealth, every single word that Ibn Taymiyyah ever wrote was printed and distributed to every corner of the globe. So, you will hardly find a library on Earth except that it has one or more books by Ibn Taymiyyah. And which scholar on Earth today is more well-known to the Muslims than Shaykh alIslām Ibn Taymiyyah? After six centuries! It is the amazing sincerity and truthfulness that Allāh turns into a good reputation and remembrance on the Earth, as a form of glad tiding and welcoming from the Heavens.And here is Sayyid Qutb45, another example:He was a man who lived amongst us, and he was offered the world. He was offered the chance to be a minister while he was behind bars, as well as to be the secretary of the Socialist Union, the supervisor of their printing and publishing press, the Ministry of Education, etc. And during his time in prison, he would spend most of his time in the prison clinic, as his body was afflicted with numerous diseases. When one of the officials who loved Islām would visit the prison seeking to meet Sayyid, he would require a hot bath – he would have to sit in the hot water for two hours – so that he would be able to meet people.Sayyid Qutb was executed, and before his execution, he would repeat his famous statement: “Verily, the index finger that testifies to Allāh’s Oneness in the prayer rejects that it be used to write a single letter acknowledging the rule of a tyrant.”46And Sayyid Qutb went on to his Lord, and how much was the laughter and tears…To complete the show, they came with one of the scholars to meet him before he went to the hangman’s noose, saying to him: “Part of the procedure of being executed is that you say ‘I bear witness that none has the right of being worshipped except Allāh, and Muhammad (وﺳﻠﻢ ﻋﻠﯿﮫ اﷲ ﺻﻠﻰ) is the Messenger of Allāh.’ So, say this, Sayyid.” So, Sayyid Qutb looked to him and said: “Even you have come to complete the show? Even you? You eat bread with this phrase, and I am being executed for it!” And Sayyid Qutb was executed in the depths of prison, and to this day, nobody knows where he is buried. One of his friends would often complain to me: “I wish we knew where his grave was, so that we could visit it.” I said to him: “The Lord of humanity Knows where his grave is. What is the point of you knowing where it is?”47Sayyid Qutb met his Lord while, throughout his entire life, ‘Fī Dhilāl al-Qur’ān’was only printed once, and in the year that he was executed, it was printed seven times! Seven times…in fact, the Christian printing presses in Beirut, when they were about to go bankrupt, would advise each other: “Print ‘adh-Dhilāl,’ and your livelihoods will return to normal.”48Indeed, sincerity and truthfulness work in strange, mysterious ways in this world and the next. So, beware of dealing with Allāh except with truthfulness and sincerity! Beware of plotting and slyness! Beware of being impressed with yourself, saying:

إِﻧﱠﻤَﺎ أُوﺗِﯿﺘُﮫُ ﻋَﻠَﻰ ﻋِﻠْﻢٍ ﻋِﻨﺪِي

{“…This has been given to me only because of my own knowledge…”}

Beware of having Satan whisper to you, blowing into your veins conceitedness, love of having a reputation, or harm to the Muslims. You are dealing with the Lord of the worlds, and this person who you are facing off against – the weak servant of Allāh – is being defended by Allāh: “Whoever is an enemy of a walī of mine, I have declared war on him…”50 So, can you face off against the Lord of the worlds in an intense battle on an open battlefield? Indeed, you cannot even harm the one you are facing off against:

وَإِن ﺗَﺼْﺒِﺮُواْ وَﺗَﺘﱠﻘُﻮاْ ﻻَ ﯾَﻀُﺮﱡﻛُﻢْ ﻛَﯿْﺪُھُﻢْ ﺷَﯿْﺌًﺎ إِنﱠ اﻟﻠّﮫَ ﺑِﻤَﺎ ﯾَﻌْﻤَﻠُﻮنَ ﻣُﺤِﯿﻂٌ

{“But, if you remain patient and become pious, not the least harm will theircunning do to you. Surely, Allāh surrounds all that they do.”}

ﻟَﻦ ﯾَﻀُﺮﱡوﻛُﻢْ إِﻻﱠ أَذًى وَإِن ﯾُﻘَﺎﺗِﻠُﻮﻛُﻢْ ﯾُﻮَﻟﱡﻮﻛُﻢُ اﻷَدُﺑَﺎرَ ﺛُﻢﱠ ﻻَ ﯾُﻨﺼَﺮُونَ

{“They will do you no harm except for a slight annoyance. And if they fight against you, they will show you their backs, and they will not be given victory.”}

O brothers…If you are a Dā’ī, be true with Allāh…If you are an author, be true with Allāh…If you are a doorman, be true with Allāh…If you are a Mujāhid, be true with Allāh…If you are an employee, be true with Allāh…

اِ نﱠ اﻟﻠّﮫَ ﻻَ ﯾَﻈْﻠِﻢُ ﻣِﺜْﻘَﺎلَ ذَرﱠةٍ وَإِن ﺗَﻚُ ﺣَﺴَﻨَﺔً ﯾُﻀَﺎﻋِﻔْﮭَﺎ وَﯾُﺆْتِ ﻣِﻦ ﻟﱠﺪُﻧْﮫُ أَﺟْﺮًا ﻋَﻈِﯿﻤًﺎ

{“Surely, Allāh wrongs not even of the weight of an atom. But, if there is any good done, He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward.”}

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!