/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can we we stop using google and youtube as boycott pls?

جوري
09-20-2012, 02:24 PM
:sl:

I think this can be our method for protesting the movie..
is it possible? what other net browsers can you guys use?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cuezed
09-20-2012, 07:17 PM
No I can't boycott them

GuestFellow
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Asslamu Aliakum,What do we want to achieve?

syed_z
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
“They were plotting and Allah too was planning, and Allah is the Best of the planners” [8: 30]
I believe that we should keep using because it is through their own instruments that Allah (swt) will defeat them as technology has grown at an alarming rate and since Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, this same technology has been the instrument used by Allah (swt) to spread the light of His guidance throughout the Globe.

Youtube and google has given the platform to many Muslims to use it to spread the guidance of Allah (swt).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
There are alternate browsers and media outlets!

Marina-Aisha
09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.Searching-Islam.com/ I guess use this if we wanna search bout islam, yahoo for anything else? But u dunno if us will do anything we r just needle in hay stack or a needle in a pile of needles u get me? If some people stop using google will they even notice when they r billion Dollar company?

StopS
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال

Isn't this half-baked and nonsensical? What is this supposed to achieve?

What do Google or YouTube have to do with a really bad video clip? Did they produce it? Did they commission it? Did they authorise it? No, they did none of these things. So why do you feel the need to punish them?

When the clip was released it was ignored. What was wrong with that?

So now an Arab TV station dug it up and made a big deal of it. And? Ignoring it would have made it totally disappear. But some Muslims chose to kill some innocent humans instead. How does that help?

جوري
09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StopS
Isn't this half-baked and nonsensical? What is this supposed to achieve?
How does this concern you?

What do Google or YouTube have to do with a really bad video clip? Did they produce it? Did they commission it? Did they authorise it? No, they did none of these things. So why do you feel the need to punish them?
They've removed many clips before that were actually educational as not to offend Zionist sensibilities. It is up to them really if they desire a large portion of their audience lost. You don't have to commit a crime to be a complicit partner to it!

When the clip was released it was ignored. What was wrong with that?
Everyone is to allowed to showcase their annoyance in the manner of their choosing!

So now an Arab TV station dug it up and made a big deal of it. And? Ignoring it would have made it totally disappear. But some Muslims chose to kill some innocent humans instead. How does that help?
Ignoring cockroaches doesn't rid of them..

best,

جوري
09-20-2012, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
http://www.Searching-Islam.com/ I guess use this if we wanna search bout islam, yahoo for anything else? But u dunno if us will do anything we r just needle in hay stack or a needle in a pile of needles u get me? If some people stop using google will they even notice when they r billion Dollar company?
Not really there's a large movement to do so, as you can see things can really snowball.
We've boycotted Danish products before which is very popular in the middle east and it really hurt them:

Muslim boycotts of Danish products costly

Consumer boycotts of Danish goods in Muslim countries in protest of the publication of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad are costing Denmark's companies millions, and have raised fears of irreparable damage to trade ties.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_521276.htm

Danish products especially cheese and cream goods are very popular in the middle east. We all just walk past it!

same thing here .. believe me it will make all the difference in the world.. so spread the word!

StopS
09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
How does this concern you?
You asked a question, I answered.

They've removed many clips before that were actually educational as not to offend Zionist sensibilities. It is up to them really if they desire a large portion of their audience lost. You don't have to commit a crime to be a complicit partner to it!
I have never seen or experienced this, so I will have to take your word for it. I doubt you can prove this claim, but I don't care.

How exactly is Youtube a partner in a crime? A court has just decided not to remove the clips because they don't constitute a crime. Do you decide?

Everyone is to allowed to showcase their annoyance in the manner of their choosing!

Ignoring cockroaches doesn't rid of them..
Very wrong!!! Killing an innocent person does not represent "annoyance". Cockroaches don't kill or make movies. Humans do.

جوري
09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StopS
You asked a question, I answered.
Obviously I wasn't asking you. Perhaps you enjoy insinuating yourself where you're neither invited nor your response merited to makeup for much needed attention in the real world!

I have never seen or experienced this, so I will have to take your word for it. I doubt you can prove this claim, but I don't care.
I know your desire to insert the 'I don't care' is just your inner child saving you in case I do prove it, and what do you know unlike you we don't all speak out of our ass!
Google removed 1,710 videos because “a substantial number of those videos concerned Holocaust denial and defence of Holocaust deniers”

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...1-9-2012_pg3_2

How exactly is Youtube a partner in a crime? A court has just decided not to remove the clips because they don't constitute a crime. Do you decide?
See above, and indeed I do decide, and I do call the motion and I do send emails and I do spread the word so what are you gonna do about it?

Very wrong!!! Killing an innocent person does not represent "annoyance". Cockroaches don't kill or make movies. Humans do.
annoyance is still a step up from droning civilians or not being able to make your mortgage payment such as was the case with the turd soldier killing women & children while they slept in Afghanistan!

best,

ba51th
09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
brother and sister, I use gmail and youtube, can you suggest the alternative for both of these? thanks

PurpleCup
09-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Salam.

I cannot post

PurpleCup
09-21-2012, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurpleCup
Salam.

I cannot post
Sorry. I was having problem to start a thread and I thought that it wasn't working for me and the wala it was working.

As far as NOT using Youtube or Google. I do not use either one that much. I DO however stop listening to hateful Islamophobia when I get the feeling a radio show subscribes to such. I rather not know what people think if its all garbage thoughts. I used to enjoy a Radio talk show called NPR and recently began to feel they hated Muslims of which I just do not tune in anymore.

It was once state in a website musliminfo that Youtube, Facebook, Twitter are all not Islamic sites and yet we do have sites like Facebook for Muslims and they are just needing the population of Muslims to join them. And the Admins find it so hard to get your attention.

A good one is:

Rising Ummah

There is also another one I came across recently but I forget their name.

جوري
09-21-2012, 12:26 AM
I am not personally a part of any social media. I understand that it is very popular- I don't personally understand why folks would want total strangers collecting all sorts of information about them and their families but perhaps I am singular in that regard.
I have had the same email forever with AOL which I understand people don't care much for and the search engines are numerous. I also only use youtube for Quranic recitations etc. but can easily find an alternate medium..

ba51th
09-21-2012, 12:54 AM
thank you sisters!

Haya emaan
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM

walaikum assalam sister

yes it is possible.. i believe boycott is a very effecting method to record our protest.. have we not done it with Facebook before..??
my country has blocked youtube and i have changed my search to yahoo... we are still ALIVE without it..

so why not.. just few days until they realize their loss!

جوري
09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan

walaikum assalam sister

yes it is possible.. i believe boycott is a very effecting method to record our protest.. have we not done it with Facebook before..??
my country has blocked youtube and i have changed my search to yahoo... we are still ALIVE without it..

Allah Akbar..
Jazaki Allah khyran sis a small thing we can do for rasool Allah..

Bint-e-Adam
09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
well said dear.
google and youtube must be banned.
and really youtube has been banned in Pakistan

PurpleCup
09-22-2012, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ba51th
brother and sister, I use gmail and youtube, can you suggest the alternative for both of these? thanks
Youtube you could use:

Islamictube

Musliminfo

Muslimvideo

halaltube

tubeislam

There are so many.

As far as e-mail for Muslims:

I do not find any... Maybe that could be an idea for someone out there.

ba51th
09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
thank you sister PurpleCup!

Aprender
09-23-2012, 12:06 AM

If the server space was available and affordable...but it'll be hard not to use an established email address.

Muslim Woman
09-23-2012, 12:59 AM

Islamictube

Musliminfo

Muslimvideo

halaltube

tubeislam

There are so many.

change email account will be hard , but as suggested - using alternate search engine like Yahoo and using islamic tubes are much easier . We should spread the alternates in other forums .

Tyrion
09-23-2012, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
I really doubt this will even register on their radar, but if it helps you personally in some way then by all means go for it.

format_quote Originally Posted by emaan_asif
google and youtube must be banned.
and really youtube has been banned in Pakistan
No, they really shouldn't be.

جوري
09-23-2012, 04:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I really doubt this will even register on their radar
Radical change often starts with one person.. in fact that's what separates people who are successful fro those who aren't. It isn't in their abilities but their drive!

best,

Muslim Woman
09-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Bangladesh also banned u tube .

I changed my search engine from google to yahoo.

May be , these wont' harm owner of google and u tube but we will become more conscious about the hateful propaganda zionlists and extreme Christians are doing agaisnt Islam . We need to protest and make other Muslims awake from deep sleep .

I sent mail to family members and friends with the request to use less of google and u tube if can't boycott them totally.

muslimah bird
09-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Microsoft's Bing is another alternative search Engine which can be used

IbnAbdulHakim
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
we've had this exact same discussion in this house.

it made us realise how dependant we've become to these super powers...

جوري
09-23-2012, 09:29 AM
There's nothing super about them- its strength from numbers!
Simply take the numbers away. سبحان الله- look how many of us there are!
Can't we each do something so simple, start with it a chain reaction and teach them to bow to the only god they worship! Aka money!

Hulk
09-23-2012, 09:38 AM
I am going to try avoiding these 2 for about 2 hours just to see how I can do it.

Snowflake
09-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Jazaki Allah khayr for this ukhti. I do think YouTube is a great tool for learning and propagating Islam, and has a wealth of Islamic material (and other) to take benefit from - that which I'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere. But that being said, I am sure if YouTube didn't exist, I'd be able to live without it. So it wouldn't hurt anyone to boycott youtube (for a time at least) to show their protest against the offending videos. Whether we achieve anything or not is another story, and is by the Power of Allah Alone. But at least we won't be out of those who just stood and watched while Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) was being insulted. May Allah protect us from that.

So let's make boycotting youtube and google our one method of protest insha Allah. Everyone feel free to use my avatar to show your support insha Allah.

Hulk
09-23-2012, 11:17 PM
in my 2 hour abstinence.. I think you can try duck duck go dot com as a search engine. in terms of yootoob it depends on what you want to use it for, if for islamic videos i think quite a few has been named already in the thread.

dusk
09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
duckduckgo is pretty cool actually. It is not really the same as google though. It is more semantic base a question answer machine like wolfram.
bing.com is exactly like google and fast but also American.

If you want to boykott google why not switch permanently to something else.
Problem is that most search engines would block even less. Mircosoft would probably act not much different and duckduckgo and such with their open source mentality they are even more for zero black listing.
Baidu is a bit hard to read.

جوري
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
The Muslim community, by way of the purchasing power they hold collectively, have a very easy action point facing them which may just prove to be the most powerful strategy at hand in having our requests heard and perhaps even sanctioned due to the manipulative nature of their purchasing power. If the only care and interest YouTube, Google and any other organisation that insults Islam has is their worthless bank balances, then let us attack that head on and let us do so in the most aggressive (yet physically peaceful) means we can.
Just casting our glances back a few years to September 10th 2005 when a series of cartoons depicting the Prophet salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam (saw) as a terrorist with a bomb, published by Danish newspaper Jyllands-Poste, clearly demonstrates how the Muslim community did not sit back to allow a precedence to be set. The Eastern Muslim communities together served a damaging blow to Denmark and all the other countries who took the decision to support the reprinting of the cartoons. We saw Denmark’s export trade dented by the boycott of the many Danish food products stacked all over the Eastern world's store shelves. We witnessed an immediate diplomatic response from the Ambassadors of 10 Islamic countries complaining to the Danish Prime Minister about the cartoons. The editor of the French newspaper ‘France Soir’ was fired for re-printing the cartoons. Several Muslim groups in France and Denmark took French and Danish papers to court for publicly insulting Islam. The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a non-binding text proposed by Pakistan on behalf of several Islamic states which "prohibits the defamation of religion" and finally we witnessed a mass surge of protests in Iran, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Gaza, Kuala Lumpur, Pakistan to the Dutch, French, Italian and Norwegian embassies. [[1]]

Although the world witnessed some of the above protests turning to violence and tragedy, let us not undermine or forget the united stand (peaceful, strategic and effective) that formulated within the Muslim communities and their leaders. We should use the positives from it to build upon and improve our responses and reactions for any future insults to come, including the current broadcasting of the Film ‘Innocence of Muslims’.

Countless violent demonstrations have again swept the world in recent days as history repeated itself, and yet again not much was achieved except embassy closures. So the questions arises: are there other, more effective measures people can take to bring about more of a powerful lobby effect against those responsible for the current insult?

With much of the focus primarily landing on protests to the American Embassies worldwide, signs are showing that the Muslim community may have learnt from the missed opportunities of past episodes. Instead what has started to emerge are efforts to organise the more effective means many have been discussing. Current initiatives have begun to focus on companies equally if not more blame worthy for the current situation. Google and YouTube stand out as the major catalysts for the tensions and hostilities witnessed on the news, whilst in retrospect, they are amongst the primary candidates able to instil some element of resolution to satisfy the billions they have offended and upset.

However, instead of acting responsibly by way of offering public apologies and sanctioning actions of withdrawal, Google recently refused, unwisely, to stop showing the movie that made fun of our Prophet saw’s even at the request of the White House under the excuse of freedom of speech.

As difficult as it seems, If individuals and companies were to stop using the Google search engine, Google adds and all the other paid and free services offered by Google until they decided to act responsibly, it would cause loses of millions and millions of dollars. And because we know that the only real weak spot and interest organisations/corporations like Google and YouTube have these days is the healthiness of their bank balance, a boycott seems an obvious and one of the few peaceful ways forward.

It seems profoundly ironic yet reassuring, that whilst the addiction to profit and ranking is intoxicating to levels that make alcoholism look harmless, one should never turn a blind eye to the sorry, humiliating state of a hangover addict. And the irony of course being that whilst massive profits and ranking equal power, Allah has instilled into these very elements such a huge degree of weakness and instability as the driving force behind them is ultimately the people/general public/consumer/service user etc.

The Muslim community, by way of the purchasing power they hold collectively, have a very easy action point facing them which may just prove to be the most powerful strategy to hand in having our requests heard and perhaps even sanctioned due to the manipulative nature of their purchasing power. If the only care and interest YouTube, Google and any other organisation that insults Islam has is their worthless bank balances, then let us attack that head on and let us do so in the most aggressive (yet physically peaceful) means we can.

We encourage Muslims and non Muslims alike to support the various boycotts and e-petitions available by 1) acting upon the few points below and 2) turning this article and the action points below into an ‘echo on the web’ and a viral catastrophe for Google and Youtube. All those Muslims holding facebook and twitter accounts with subscribers hitting the millions must act to not only support this cause which every Muslim on earth can unite behind but also to help change the behaviour of the Muslim community who opt for violent methods of lobbying. We can only hope to have achieved a behavioural shift once we are able demonstrate and prove that our peaceful methods are much, much more powerful and effective then violent protests.

We have to understand that Islam teaches us to be active and in many cases we intend to do things irrespective of the outcome. The Prophet SAW commanded us to plant the tree even if we see that the day of resurrection is about to start. Furthermore, the Prophet SAW said: “Whoever among you sees an evil action, then let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; and if he cannot, then with his heart – and that is the weakest of faith.”

This hadith does not leave a space for any Muslim to sit passively. The Prophet saw carried out different types of responses to the harms of his enemies. Apart from military action he used the power of media and the economic boycott. The person should not evaluate any action according to his individual own actions, rather he should evaluate it according to the outcome of the mass when they react.

In light of the above I urge you all to action the following;
1) Stop using Google and its services.

These are some popular search engines that you can use instead of Google:

www.bing.co.uk
www.altavista.com/
www.search.aol.com/
www.compuserve.com/
www.directhit.com/
www.euroseek.net/
www.excite.com/
www.alltheweb.com/
www.findwhat.com/
www.hotbot.com/
www.looksmart.com/
www.lycos.com/
www.search.netscape.com/
www.dmoz.org/
www.overture.com/
www.yahoo.com/

These are some other popular email service providers you can use instead of Google who allow you to export your contacts and emails over from Google;

Yahoo! mail
Hotmail
Microsoft Outlook
AOL mail
Apple mail

2) Support and complete the two powerful online e-petitions currently on the web.

Both should be signed and supported. Reaching at least 1 million on each within a few days is a must and would send a powerful message to both Google and the Government

Sign e-petition to Google, click here

Sign e-petition to the UK Government, click here

3) File a complaint direct to YouTube.

File a complaint of a claim of defamation against the Prophet SAW by clicking here.
State the specific offensive material that has been found in both the Trailer and the movie, i.e. that the Prophet saws was personified, vilified, called names, disrespected etc. And to Allah we turn to for aid and assistance.
h

:Notes
Sources: www.islam21c.com
Islam21c requests all the readers of this article, and others, to share it on your facebook, twitter, and other platforms to further spread our efforts.

[1]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8864935/Prophet-Mohammed-in-cartoons-a-history.html

DISCLAIMER: All material found on Islam21c.com is for information purposes only. The views expressed on this site or on any linked sites do not necessarily represent those of MRDF.

Hulk
09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm wondering if it does happen how will it affect muslim yt channels like qwertyfshag quranweekly and khalifahklothing etc

Tilmeez
09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Subhanallah!!

I did not read any post in this thread because of the limited time I have. I have already switched my search engine to Altavista. I'm sure soon I will get used to with it or I will find a better one, Inshallah.

Youtube is already banned in our part of the world due to that movie issue, Alhamdolillah.

yahia12
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
That would be a very bad idea in my opinion. I fail to see how boycotting Youtube will do any good. There are thousands of islamic content on Youtube of great benefit for muslimss.

Tyrion
09-24-2012, 08:09 PM
If the only care and interest YouTube, Google and any other organisation that insults Islam
How has Google/Youtube insulted Islam?

جوري
09-24-2012, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

How has Google/Youtube insulted Islam?
I didn't write the article as you can probably tell from the link on the bottom- however I do agree with it- any site that hosts inflammatory and hateful material which incites violence in speech or action should be boycotted. You obviously can conceive that you don't have to commit a crime with your hands to be guilty of it.
We get it, we get what you want, what you're driving at, and whose views echo yours. Thus I don't see how this affects you? This is posted for Muslims who wish to take actions in a meaningful that doesn't call for 'violence' on some embassies. Seem with you and a few others you're d@mned if you do and d@mned if you don't.. so why not take a backseat and let others do their things?

best,

Mikayeel
09-24-2012, 08:40 PM

I am managing so far, by using yahoo as an alternative. But i dont think i can manage for longer than two days, as my email is via google. But i don't see why most people can't boycot them for two days.

It is a very effective way for us to make a point against our enemies

IbnAbdulHakim
09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
assalamu alaikum

I have officially joined the boycott. Lets see how long it lasts.

White Rose
09-25-2012, 07:34 PM

I have stopped using google. I dont have gmail so I am good there. And I also stopped using youtube though I may need it for educational purposes but I will try to find other ways.

جوري
09-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Just saw on the news this morning that google fell to number two, but it didn't say how much losses it incurred.. Does anyone have that bit of news in English? I saw it in Arabic..

Hulk
09-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Guys if you wanna make it more effective why not make a short write-up and guide to hand out/forward. A tiny pitch if u may

جوري
09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
It is already on all the major news channels al7mdullilah....

hur575
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
The best answer is to get our own Islamic medium, we can do without google but youtube is great dawa tool. It is really sad that we still have to rely on them, a brother's youtube account was closed twice, and they were dedat's good clips translated into Arabic, few dislikes and it got deleted, The stupid film they made was reported by Muslims, and had many dislikes but youtube refused to remove it.

جوري
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM

(yes, there was a real billboard)

When you search Google,

Fig. 1

and click on a link,

Fig. 2

your search term is usually sent to that site,

Fig. 3

along with your browser & computer info,

Fig. 4

which can often uniquely identify you.

Fig. 5

That's creepy, but who cares about some random site?

Those sites usually have third-party ads,

Fig. 6

and those third-parties build profiles about you,

Fig. 7

and that's why those ads follow you everywhere.

Fig. 8

That's creepy too, but who cares about some herpes ads?

Your profile can also be sold,

Fig. 9

and potentially show up in unwanted places,

like higher prices and getting insurance.

Fig. 10

But there's more.

Fig. 11

Remember your searches?

Fig. 12

Google also saves them.

Fig. 13

Your saved searches can be legally requested,

and then come back to bite you (happens).

Fig. 14

Or a bad Google employee could go snooping (happens).

Fig. 15

Or Google could get hacked (happens).

Fig. 16

That's why we don't send your searches to other sites.

Fig. 17

Or store any personal information at all.

That's our privacy policy in a nutshell.

Fig. 18

So don't get tracked when searching.

Use DuckDuckGo instead. Add to Browser

Privacy is just one of many reasons why it's awesome.

Fig. 19

For maximum protection, use these apps too:

Abine Privacy suite. Firefox | Chrome

Adblock Plus Blocks ads. Firefox | Chrome

AdBlock Blocks ads. Safari | Chrome | Opera

AdSweep Blocks ads. Opera | Chrome

Beef Taco No ad network tracking. Firefox

Disconnect No tracking from major sites. Chrome | Safari

HTTPS Everywhere No tracking between you and sites. Firefox | Chrome

Tor No tracking by being anonymous. Bundle (includes Firefox)

Ghostery No third-party tracking. IE | Safari | Chrome | Firefox | Opera

RequestPolicy Manage third-party tracking. Firefox

RefControl Manage what gets sent to sites. Firefox

BetterPrivacy No tracking from Flash. Firefox | Others

NoScript Blocks JavaScript. Firefox

JavaScript Blocker Blocks JavaScript. Safari

ScriptNo Blocks JavaScript. Chrome

NotScripts Blocks JavaScript. Opera

Tell your friends

Snowflake
09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
^Jazaki Allah khayr ukhti. I love to see what kind of profile google has build up of me :P I research anything and everything just to up my knowledge on things. It's not very clever of google to be relating our searches to us personally. Sometimes are searches are for friends who need advice, or another person could be using our computer.

Also I recently started using yahoo and internet explorer, but it's a pain. I'm experiencing a lot of problems - videos freeze and even editing my posts is a nightmare as internet explorer keeps freezing when I click save. I've just had to switch to mozilla for the sake of editing a post. I'm going to try duckduckgo now.

The best answer is to get our own Islamic medium
This is really the best solution of all. I wonder why it hasn't been done so far. After I boycotted google and youtube, I went to Islamictube only to find they are affiliated with google too. I wish someone would achieve this for the ummah insha Allah.

جوري
09-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Google has released its second six-month Transparency Report. This report, consisting of graphs and charts, shows how many times a government requested user data from the company and how many times it has requested removals. It also shows interruptions in traffic flows for different Google properties, by country. During the last six months of 2009, the U.S. made 3,580 requests. The first six months of this year, they've made 4,287.

At 128, the U.S. still trails in take-down requests vs. last year's leader Brazil, with 398. Brazil objected to its inclusion in last year's report. Some have insisted their requests are almost all related to child pornography investigations and others that the popularity of the Google-owned Orkut social network helps explain the high numbers.
A click on the pinned locations on the map will provide the percentage of requests complied with, or at least partially complied with.
Overall, the numbers, both of information requests and of information take-down requests, are higher. Online censorship has been growing, not declining, in the last year.

Another element of the report are the traffic reports. Through these, a user can isolate moments of downtime in various Google products at various times. A sudden precipitous fall in YouTube traffic, for instance, is a pretty good indication that the government involved has blocked it, as Iran did during last year's elections.
The traffic charts, powered by pull-down menus of properties and countries, also come annotated with a full or partial block notice, when those actions have been verified.
Frankly, this tool is of greater use to scholars, technologists and activists than the laity. It isn't easily read nor easily cross-referenced. All Chinese, and some Iranian, data are not provided, so it isn't complete either.

"There are limits to what this data can tell us . . . Because of the complexity of these requests, the numbers we are sharing do not reflect the total number of accounts subject to data disclosure requests by governmental agencies . . . We hope to provide more detail about our compliance with user data requests in a useful way in the future."
So do we. But given how little information most companies are willing to give out, it is still a great resource. As more data is compiled in the coming six-month periods, who knows what kinds of observations might be made about the global accessibility of information?
Posted in

Comments

ReadWriteWeb encourages comments, but please remember: Keep it nice, keep it clean, and avoid promotional comments. We do pre-moderate some comments with links. For more information, please read our full comment policy.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!